Start by marking “Beasts and Super-Beasts (Dodo Press)” as Want to Read:
Beasts and Super-Beasts (Dodo Press)
Read Book* *Different edition

Beasts and Super-Beasts (Dodo Press)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Saki (1870 -1916), was the pen name of the British author Hector Hugh Munro, whose witty and sometimes macabre stories satirised Edwardian society and culture. The name Saki is often thought to be a reference to the cupbearer in the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, a poem mentioned disparagingly by the eponymous character in Reginald on Christmas Presents. Saki is considered a ma ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about Beasts and Super-Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beasts and Super-Beasts

Julie Davis
When I was young I discovered Saki and read all his stories. Over the years, of course, one comes across a few very popular stories repeatedly. Now I've come across a wonderful podcast, The Clovis Stories by Saki which is working its way through all the Saki stories. I am now catching up with the readings of Beasts and Super-Beasts., listening to a story a day (or so). As with The Chronicles of Clovis, I vastly enjoy rediscovering stories I forgot or only vaguely remember. The is no one like Sak ...more
Renee M
Beasts and Super Beasts is a collection filled with precocious, somewhat bloodthirsty children, sarcastic bachelors, assorted birds, pigs, dogs, and an elk. Saki treats readers to biting wit and brilliant observations. I suggest these be read one at a time and savored.
Leslie
I delighted in these very short short stories, but others may find Saki's humor a bit dated at times. This collection had a lot of animal stories (I guess the people must the "super-beasts" in the few that didn't have any animal aspect), such as the one in which a painter of rural cows manages to shoo a bull not only into his neighbor's house, but up the stairs!
Jesse
At first I thought that this was rather flipant piece of liturature. However, I am now chocking that up to the fact that I had just finished reading the complete works of Anotn Chekhov, and the humorous shorts by Saki didn't seem to compare. BUT! After a few of them I think that my brain was able to switch gears and I became enthralled.

The stories are quite silly and often poking fun at the British people of the time. Saki has an amazing way of giving the punchline with the last sentence, someti
Paul Blakemore
Man 1: I've just finished reading a collection of short stories by Hector Hugh Munro.
Man 2: Saki?
Man 1: Yes, they were.

Such a reliable collection of pithy and fun stories that at times are verging on simply being elaborately set up one-liners. Each one follows on with metronomic regularity of pitch-perfect tone and style: a real pleasure to read. Perfect for easy consumption on a smartphone or e-readeras each one is basically five minutes of playful and wicked diversion.
Elise Hattersley
If you read these shorts in the context of Edwardian society, Saki sheds a bright and unforgiving light on the time's foibles and idiosyncracies, and they become a delight to read.
Tina

ANIMALES Y MÁS QUE ANIMALES
AUTOR: SAKI, PSEUDÓNIMO DE H.H. MUNRO, escritor inglés del siglo

Este libro comprende 35 cuentos sobre el tema de los animales, algunos usados metafóricamente al ser humano. Pocos de ellos son divertidos, casi en tu totalidad utilizan humor e ironía pero también gran parte de ellos son densos y aburridos.
El lenguaje es claro y sencillo pero no pude disfrutar en extremo este libro.
Honoria
Sometimes I feel sad that I will never be able to discover any of my favourite books for the first time again. Then, I come across something like this and I'm enraptured once more. It's a special feeling at my advanced age. I'm definitely looking out for more Saki.
J.L. Flores
Saki es perfecto. Dicho esto digamos otras cosas. Como que pocos logran hacer tanto de tan poco, como que no necesita trama, porque el cuento en sí es su arma, su artefacto y patio de juego.
Valerie
Clever

The stories are sometimes dated, but the humour is so clever I rarely noticed. Funny how people are really the same all around no matter the time or place.
Carol Greer
Not my favorite Saki collection, but quite good. My favorite H.H. Munro piece of all time is "The Unrest Cure," which is so wickedly funny, and is sadly not included among these stories. Still, I'd rather read quite good Saki over almost any other humor writer's best work.
Greg Fanoe
I still really like the writing style, but the stories are so repetitive that it's hard to fit in a whole book. Saki is good for leafing through, not reading front to back.

As for this book in particular, there's some really good stories (mostly the famous ones like "The Open Window" and "The Story-Teller"), but Chronicles of Clovis was much better overall.

Read via Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/269
Mark
This book is not as funny as I remember it being, and it is a lot more British than I'd imagined any book could ever be. It's another book I've returned to recently and discovered I'd remembered it very differently. There are a bunch of high points in it. It is a number of short (very short) stories and some are excellent. But many are only worth reading for the dry tone and deeply understated humor involved. Like a lot of Mark Twain's short stories, the actual stories themselves often feel like ...more
Lynne
Brilliantly witty and wickedly funny, as always.
Prashanth Nuggehalli Srinivas
Superb collection. I had read many of the stories that are a part of this collection. Was nice to sit down and read these stories one after another. If you are contemplating reading this and want a sample, listen to "The Open Window" here: http://www.loudlit.org/audio/window/p... and see for yourself. An excellent choice for a long train/bus journey.
Sofi A
Talking about books with many short stories is difficult because you cant compare one and other. Some i liked, some were meh, some i will never forget, but in general Saki (Munro) is entretaining and ironic. Made me feel like i was part of that inglish old world and honestly i would be sarcastic too if i had to live with people like that.
daniel
Noir, politically incorrect satire at its best.
You should at least read a few of these spiky short stories, unless you wouldn't mind missing out some great fun here.

My preferred stories:
The lull, Laura, The open window, The she-wolf, the Hen, The romancers

Audiobook at: http://librivox.org/beasts-and-super-...
Pedro León
Me compré este libro por la crítica y la verdad es que me ha defraudado bastante. No se si es culpa de la traducción o qué, pero algunas historias cortas las he abandonado (y eso que eran de unas cinco páginas cada una). Otras son bastante buenas y todas tienen ese toque de humor inglés que me gusta, pero no me ha terminado de convencer.
arg/machine
An excellent collection of fine short stories by one of the masters of the craft of storytelling. Now in the public domain, with a free electronic copy available here.
Jason Hood
Fun with wit and satire, Munro does a masterful job of creating short stories which are 2,000 times better than the average T.V. sitcom. If you would rather be read too, site:
The reader is amazing and the website provides all stories. Great for the classroom or at home.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/132645.html[return][return]Just fantastic. Starts off with "The She-Wolf", in which a supposed practitioner of Siberian magic gets his comeuppance. Includes also such highlights as "The Open Window" and "The Story-Teller".
Carolina Jiménez
Al final lo sentí un poco repetitivo, pero aún así me gustó. Saki tiene un sentido del humor muy disfrutable. Uno siempre está esperando la vuelta de tuerca del final - y Saki no nos defrauda.
Sofia
Like Wodehouse but better (in my opinion). The stories are clever and full of irony, humour and imagination. Can't wait to read more!
Ticklish Owl
I'm listening to the audio version, which can be found here
Becca
Loved this book. It has such fascinating short stories and character sketches. So worth it! :-)
James
I am not much into "horror" stories but this volume had a few nice touches. (librivox.org)
Tasha
Comedy of manners-esque. I wouldn't call it laugh-out-loud funny, but it's quirky.
Susy
meant to be suitable for teens... not sure. but a fun selection
Marts  (Thinker)
A variety of short stories by Saki, in his usual humorous style...
Elizabeth Bingham
It wasn't really as good as the Adventures of Clovis...
  • Two Sisters
  • Selfish Pigs
  • Blood and Water and Other Tales
  • The Barrack-Room Ballads and Other Verses
  • Денискины рассказы
  • The Darling and Other Stories (The Tales of Chekhov, Vol 1)
  • Symposium: A Novel
  • The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
  • Hauntings and Other Fantastic Tales
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 1
  • The Gem Collector
Hector Hugh Munro, better known by the pen name Saki, was born in Akyab, Burma (now known as Sittwe, Myanmar), was a British writer, whose witty and sometimes macabre stories satirized Edwardian society and culture. He is considered a master of the short story and is often compared to O. Henry and Dorothy Parker. His tales feature delicately drawn characters and finely judged narratives. "The Open ...more
More about Saki...
The Complete Saki The Collected Short Stories of Saki The Open Window The Best of Saki The Chronicles of Clovis

“Râse cu un hohot straniu, mocnit, simpatic ca un chicot și neliniștitor ca o mârâitură.” 0 likes