Start by marking “The Tent Peg” as Want to Read:
The Tent Peg

The Tent Peg

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In "The Tent Peg," award-winning novelist Aritha van Herk uses her unerring perception and impressive literary skill to capture the mystical mood of the Arctic and the people who are drawn to it. In this intriguing story, a young woman who disguises herself as a man to work in a uranium prospecting camp deep in the Yukon mountains. J.L. is on the run from an empty heart an ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Red Deer Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Tent Peg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tent Peg

Life of Pi by Yann MartelThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryWater for Elephants by Sara GruenA Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Best Canadian Literature
258th out of 728 books — 599 voters
Moby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleUlysses by James JoyceSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutIf on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo CalvinoGravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
The Shandian Spawn
160th out of 171 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Shannon
This book starts off in realism with an interesting format - each character views events from their own perspective. As the novel moves on it moves more into a mystical realm but only subtly so (brief communions with bears).

I found each character to be believable and true to themselves. The backdrop of an exploration camp is interesting (but black nights in the summer in the Yukon? this kept throwing me whenever it was mentioned).

I think for those who know their Bible stories better would get mo
James
May 19, 2010 James marked it as to-read
I took a creative writing class with her... can't say I liked her or believed half the things she said. Still, I'm curious to check out something she's written (that would make me one of few, I suppose). Maybe her writing won't be as pretentious, pedantic, and opinionated as she was in person? Only time will tell!

On a side note, I just checked out her website (http://arithavanherk.com/) where she refers to herself as a 'public intellectual.'

A public intellectual. As opposed to what? A 'private'
Michelle
This is beautifully written and engrossing; I was on the edge of my seat expecting a climactic event more devastating than what actually occurred, given the continual references to a Biblical account of someone being killed.
Nadine Doolittle
Did I like The Tent Peg? Yes, I guess I did. I can't imagine giving it less than 4 stars because it's well-written and absorbing. But the story itself was slim or maybe I didn't get it. The main character heals the men of their various hang-ups. A goddess of sorts in the Arctic. The theme or the handling of theme is dated. I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Bit of a backhanded review/praise; Van Herk was writing for her time and from her experience. It's lyrical and metaphorical. Sometimes a gal just wa
Gabi
This is one of the books which have stuck with me for ages. I must have read it first when I was in my teens (which means at least 30 years ago), and since then probably a dozen times. Everything: the format, the plot, the setting, the characters, the narration style, everything is just fresh and interesting, and it has beautiful moments. Whenever I pick up this book, I can't put it down until I'm through with it. For me, it's a winner.
Gord Higginson
I read this novel a quarter of a century ago and I still remember swaths of it...fascinating tale, evoking the Biblical story of Ja-el.
Alex
Alex added it
Dec 02, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Cathy
Cathy added it
Dec 06, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Twl Newtown
Twl Newtown marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Bianca
Bianca added it
Nov 02, 2014
Jozefien Ryckx
Jozefien Ryckx marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Stephanie Holt
Stephanie Holt marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Rosa
Rosa marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Tomtom
Tomtom marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Aritha van Herk is universally recognized as one of Canada’s most original and imaginative writers. She is the author of a number of highly acclaimed books. She is a passionate lover, critic and devourer of all aspects of Calgary, from its unpredictable history to its unfulfilled potential.
More about Aritha Van Herk...
Restlessness No Fixed Address: An Amorous Journey Judith Places Far from Ellsemere Mavericks: An Incorrigible History of Alberta