All-Night Party: The Women of Bohemian Greenwich Village and Harlem, 1913-1930

All-Night Party: The Women of Bohemian Greenwich Village and Harlem, 1913-1930

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  13 reviews
They were smart. Sassy. Daring. Exotic. Eclectic. Sexy. And influential. One could call them the first divas--and they ran absolutely wild. They were poets, actresses, singers, artists, journalists, publishers, baronesses, and benefactresses. They were thinkers and they were drinkers. They eschewed the social conventions expected of them--to be wives and mothers--and decid...more
Published January 3rd 2004 by Algonquin Books (first published 2004)

Sketchbook
They were thinkers and they were drinkers, says author Barnet. They ignored the social conventions expected of them - to become wives and mums - and chose to live on their own terms. "They blasted the door open to the rest of the 20thC." Victorian morality was the oppressor. By 1916, "going public with one's animal nature" was the vogue, often at great personal cost. With the 1919 enactment of Prohibition, the forbidden - thanks to religio Americans - had glamour.

An amiable survey of some unique...more
Madeline
There is not very much analysis in All-Night Party, which is really a shame, especially given the women she chose to focus on: the hostesses are fairly obscure, and Mina Loy is probably not as popular as she was, but Edna St. Vincent Millay, Bessie Smith, and Ethel Waters are all well-known artists. My favorite chapter was the one which discussed Jane Heap and Margaret Anderson, who are much more obscure and therefore more interesting. I am a big fan of Millay, but one chapter in a group biograp...more
Jean Perry
Very interesting book about creative women of the 1920's. The sub-title is "the Women of. Bohemian Geenwich Village and Harlem. It led me to look for other books about the women described. I was a little put-off by the fact that the Black women were ALL talked about at the end of the book. Really!?! I'm a 70 year old White woman and have nothing to do with the publishing business and even i know that that is not good editing of material and might be offensive to some readers. I couldn't see any...more
Kara
Oct 10, 2008 Kara rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: women's history fans
The women Barnet includes in this look at the early 20th-century Boho set are fascinating: Edna St. Millay, Mina Loy, Bessie Smith, among others. They led wild, excessive lives in the pursuit of art and the New Woman. They took part in salons, started their own literary journals, declared themselves futurists and modernists, fostered addictions, slept with whomever they liked, and generally scandalized the rest of post-Victorian America.

While there stories are all very interesting, much of the b...more
Roxanne
Jul 24, 2007 Roxanne rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
Interesting glimpse into the lives of several women who were contemporaries during the Progressive Era. I'm chagrined to admit I'd never heard of most of them, the exceptions being Edna Millay, Bessie Smith, Margaret Anderson and Jane Heap.

It makes me think of social progress from a different perspective; it seems not to be a steady push forward, but we advance in great waves and heaves.
Pia
The biographies are somewhat incomplete. You can definitely find better information elsewhere on some of the women included in this book. However, as a whole it's worth reading as a portrait of the era. It's a great starting point if you're interested in any of the subjects.
Diane Nagatomo
I skimmed this book in one sitting on the train to prepare for a "React to the Past" workshop that will cover this era. I'll definitely go back and reread it again...fascinating women in a fascinating era. I had no idea.
Kim Springer
Written by my sister so yes, 5 stars. Each chapter focuses on different women from this time period, Edna Vincent Millay, Mina Loy, and Bessie Smith to name a few. Well written and easy to read.
Donna Lewis
I skimmed most of the book but did read the sections about Bessie Smith and Ethel Waters, both of whom had much more difficult lives than the white bohemians in Greenwich Village. Interesting.
Erin
kind of poorly written, but still worth it to find out the stories of these cool ladies. Skip the St. Vincent Millay chapter, though, and just read her bio..
Shelley
This book is helping me research for my silent film actress character in Two Augusts in a Row in a Row.
Cherie
Interesting, but skimmed
Maren
Maren marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Edd
Edd marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Nancy D.
Nancy D. marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Joshunda Sanders
Joshunda Sanders marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Peter Mcloughlin
Peter Mcloughlin marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Lela
Lela marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Kyla
Kyla marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Lisa Hale
Lisa Hale marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Justina
Justina marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Crazy New York. Die Frauen von Harlem und Greenwich Village.