Start by marking “Safe at Home: Confessions of a Baseball Fanatic” as Want to Read:
Safe at Home: Confessions of a Baseball Fanatic

Safe at Home: Confessions of a Baseball Fanatic

Film and television star Alyssa Milano (Who’s the Boss, Charmed) is one of the most popular bloggers on MLB.com (http://alyssa.mlblogs.com), and has even done on-field commentary for TBS. In Safe at Home, she writes about her passion for baseball and how her love for the game has helped to shape who she is.
Published March 24th 2009 by William Morrow (first published March 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Safe at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe at Home

Carrie
Apr 30, 2009 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I would give this book 3.5 stars if I could.

I was intrigued to learn that Alyssa Milano had written a book. I clearly remember watching her every week on Who's the Boss? when I was a kid. (I loved that show!) I also know that she's a huge baseball fan who's also designed a line of clothing specifically for female baseball fans. As a huge baseball fan myself, I was interested to see what she had to say.

The book starts off strong. Within the first couple chapters, she had my eyes tearing up a time
Liz
Sep 20, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it
Like Alyssa, I learned about baseball on my fathers knee. His passion for the Red Sox was infectous. I was 7 when Ted Williams hit a home run at his last at bat in the final game of his career. At the time I didn't understand the magnitude of this event. Today I fully understand that this was the only way the Splendid Splinter should leave the game he loved. For me falling in love with the boys from Boston was all about Tony Conigliaro. How could I not be in love, he was young, good looking and ...more
Mary
Mar 15, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
Alyssa Milano seems as unaffected as might be possible, given her background, and this book is a love letter to baseball. I did get a kick out of what she does not like about the game - the DH, among other things - but especially beach balls bouncing around, as if the game was not interesting enough on its own. (In my experience, having been to some ten ballparks, although not Chavez Ravine, this is a big problem at Fenway - for all the supposed love the pink hats have for their team you would ...more
Ashley
Feb 14, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
I absolutely adore baseball and I tend to adore just about any book about baseball (see Bases Loaded and The Baseball Codes) so I fully expected to adore a book about baseball written by the always-cute Alyssa Milano.

I was not disappointed.

It was a great book with a sweet female perspective on baseball. It was very emotional as she discussed how baseball was a way of bonding her family together and how she enjoyed the Dodger games with her father.

Alyssa talks about the game, the players, the hi
Tommaso Coniglio
Nov 02, 2016 Tommaso Coniglio rated it really liked it
This is probably the best book ever written about what it means to be a REAL baseball fan.

Alyssa Milano's argues that being a fan - and a baseball fan in particular - is an amazingly rewarding experience. It brings some desperately needed lightness into ours lives; it relaxes and entertains us, year after year, with its unmistakable feeling of familiarity; it connects us with family and friends; and it inspires us to excel in our own endeavors.

She argues that fans are, in some respect, "richer"
Kevin
May 12, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it
This is a good baseball book in that Alyssa Milano is no average chick when it comes to baseball. A passionate fan, she mixes in her knowledge of baseball with fun and interesting stories all while singing the praises of the game itself. In no way a tell-all or memoir, this is just about what baseball means to her and how it has gotten her through some tough times and brought her family closer together. Of course I am envious of the perks she gets in baseball from being a star but she really ...more
aaron
Apr 07, 2009 aaron rated it really liked it
wow...alyssa loves her some sweet, sweet baseball! and as a huge baseball fan...i love this book! it is like a love letter to a game that may very well have kept her sane throughout her tumultuous life as a child-actress turned adult-actress. i have always been a fan of alyssa milano. she just seems to exude some sort of charm in whatever it is that she does. now she writes a book about how baseball was such a huge contributing factor in her life and how it makes her who she is today. if you are ...more
Amy (amyb2332)
Jun 15, 2010 Amy (amyb2332) rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
I'm not a baseball fan (I don't dislike it either, I just don't know much about it) but I do like Alyssa Milano. I guess to be fair, before this book, I should have said that I liked the shows Alyssa Milano was in, I didn't know much about her at all. But after this book I can say that I like her. She is funny and smart and seems incredibly down to earth. I'm not a fan of baseball but she kind of makes me want to be!
Carol Storm
May 08, 2015 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing
This is the freshest, most original book on baseball I have ever read. Alyssa Milano writes with passion, knowledge, emotion and humor about the ways baseball has mattered in her life.

If you think baseball writers are all old fuddy-duddies like David Halberstam, if you think baseball is for guys only -- think again!
Mary
Jul 06, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did--- I assumed it'd be more dumbed down. Just goes to show you. I don't know that a serious baseball fan would like it as a baseball book, because it's at least as much memoir as baseball book, but it's kind of an offbeat mixture of genres that I found very appealing. Great for a change of pace.
Shirley
May 17, 2010 Shirley rated it liked it
I love Alyssa but I just couldn't bring myself to continue reading it.

More of a light read, when you're in a waiting room or on the beach.
I'll finish it at some point.
Peggy
My sister recommended this book and I did find it very enjoyable. I was a Dodger fan as a child back in the late 50's early 60's; although never went to a game back then. Then in 1970 I went to my first game at Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego and have been a San Diego Padre fan ever since. Was fun to read a book written by a female fan who really knows her game! In fact Alyssa Milano knows much more about the game then I would ever be able to remember in my lifetime :D

I only gave the book 3 sta
Eric Holmlund
I didn't know a lot about Alyssa Milano when I picked up her baseball memoirs at a library book sale, but I'm glad it caught my eye. Milano is a true die hard baseball fan, and she is someone I can relate to as a baseball fan myself. Her baseball life is passionate and geniune. I enjoyed reading about her her love of baseball as a way to connect with her father. The passing down of a team and sport from father to child is powerful, and I definitely can draw parallels in my own life. Her ...more
Samantha
Apr 04, 2009 Samantha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Baseball fans
Recommended to Samantha by: Amazon Vine
I was looking for a way to describe this book and the only thing I can come up with is fun. It's a fun book. It's not a serious discussion of baseball or even Alyssa Milano's life. It's just about being a fan. How to be one or how to be a better one. It talks about why she's a fan and gets you to think why are you a fan. I really enjoyed it. It's a very quick read and it will definitely get you in the mood for baseball season but it could be for any sport. I would highly recommend this to any ...more
Christina
Let me start by saying that I went into this book unsure frankly not expecting much from it . I am not a big Alyssa Milano fan but decided to read it because of my love of baseball and maybe to help curb the withdrawal symptoms of the off-season . Boy was I surprised when halfway through the book something dawned on me how many times I thought to myself i couldn't have said it better myself. this book was a good read for baseball fans everywhere. Especially girls who love the game and are ...more
Cyndi
Nov 16, 2014 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could relate 100% to Alyssa's passion for baseball and read many things I've either said or thought myself. Baseball is life, and she accurately expresses how baseball brings families together and how females have the same passion as males. Only complaint were the times she talks about sitting behind home plate, going to the club before a game, meeting players, etc. I consider myself a true fan but I'll never get that experience. She did a great job explaining how much baseball means but had ...more
Mike
Jul 26, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: baseball fans
Recommended to Mike by: my brother
Its taken me awhile to read this book, but all in all this was a very good read.

This is a good book for any baseball fan, male and female, written not from a baseball insider, but a fan who happens to be a TV Star (Alyssa Milano). Its a very refreshing look at a former child star who made good for herself and who also gives us a first hand look at her love of baseball.

Highly recommended for the baseball fan from any team.
Jerry
Jul 18, 2013 Jerry rated it really liked it
The writer offers personal anecdotes about growing up in a family that loves baseball, and she describes why she became a baseball fan. The tone is conversational. She also offers strong opinions about the current state of the game --- drug problems, use of the designated hitter, etiquette for fans at the ballpark, and so forth.

I enjoyed the humorous, yet insightful, perspectives and would recommend this book to any baseball fan.
Will Plunkett
Jun 17, 2011 Will Plunkett rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
I couldn't consider myself in her "know nothing about baseball" category, but there was quite a bit of history and statistics even I hadn't heard of before. She brings a different persepective to a sports book; mainly being someone who learned to love it by watching it with family in stadiums and on TV, rather than a former participant. And she didn't make any jokes about the Pittsburgh Pirates woes of recent years!
Iris
May 28, 2015 Iris rated it liked it
This book wasn't what I expected... I was thinking more autobiography with a thread of baseball. It was really the reverse, but still a very enjoyable read. I grew up watching baseball with dad, but admittedly as an adult I lost interest. However, as I finished the book tonight I find I'm left with a feeling that I should get back into it. Engaging story-telling here whether you're a major fan or not.
Ally
Jun 08, 2009 Ally rated it really liked it
If you are a woman and a baseball fan, you really can't go wrong here. While at times I found the book somewhat repetitive (and there were several spelling errors - she needs a better copy editor), her passion for baseball, and especially the Dodgers, is fantastic. As a Dodgers fanatic, I really related to much of this book. Also, it's a really quick read.
Alex Rivas
Nov 12, 2011 Alex Rivas rated it it was ok
This book seems to be written for new baseball fans, almost like the "ABC of Baseaball", or "Baseball for Dummies" and I mean it in the nice way.

I like Alyssa but there is really little of her own life and lots on baseball rules and historical references that I wasn't expected to read, however it is not a boring read, so I gave it 2 stars.

Alex
Dan
Jun 16, 2009 Dan rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Great insights and perspectives for new fans, equally enjoyable for long-time fans. Also some great insight into the life of a celebrity and how they go through the same "stuff" as the rest of us. I also agree with almost everything she says about the Great Game. I say let's push for Alyssa for Commissioner!
Dean
Sep 03, 2014 Dean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa tells some interesting stories as a baseball fan from a woman's point of view. At a time when she and her father were in Los Angeles trying to get her career as a child actress started, her discovery of baseball and the Dodgers brought she and her father closer together.
Josh Skogman
Jan 09, 2016 Josh Skogman rated it really liked it
A quick read, but well done. Alyssa Milano shares her passion for baseball and why baseball is an important part of growing up in America. Reading this made me feel like spring was here (in January). Has a very "Field of Dreams" or "The Natural" nostalgia to it.
Jenna
Jan 27, 2010 Jenna rated it liked it
This books was fun. I liked the history of the game, and I felt that she really captured a lot of the reasons I like baseball (the reasons most "normal people" don't understand). I felt the writing was too wordy at times, and sometimes I felt she took too long to get to her point.
Andrea
May 03, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, non-fiction
I liked this book, it made me glad that it is baseball season.

2009 Spring Challenge category: Baseball theme
Robert Andes
Apr 09, 2015 Robert Andes rated it really liked it
Ms. Milano added some adjectives to my vocabulary and added to my knowledge of the game. It was well worth reading.
Dec 09, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying it. I love her and I love baseball. Togehter it is great. I like all of the new little tidbits I"m learning about baseball!
Brian123
Apr 21, 2009 Brian123 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I am very inpressed. She intertwines history, life lessons, and just bringing people together through baseball. All things considered never judge a book by its cover.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Past Time: Baseball as History
  • Homesick: A Memoir
  • Game Over: Jerry Sandusky, Penn State, and the Culture of Silence
  • Belle and Sebastian: Just a Modern Rock Story
Alyssa Jayne Milano was born on December 19, 1972 in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, the daughter of fashion designer and talent manager Lin Milano and film-music editor Thomas M. Milano, (who had been an early member of the band Sleepy Hollow but left in 1972).

Milano has dyslexia. In a 2004 interview, she explained how she deals with the disorder:

I've stumbled over words while reading from teleprompters.
More about Alyssa Milano...

“if you belive in something then you should do it dont let anything stand in your way.” 12 likes
“History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again. —KURT VONNEGUT” 1 likes