Start by marking “?Como Dan Las Buenas Noches Los Dinosaurios?” as Want to Read:
?Como Dan Las Buenas Noches Los Dinosaurios?

?Como Dan Las Buenas Noches Los Dinosaurios? (How Do Dinosaurs...?)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  27,502 Ratings  ·  569 Reviews
International acclaimed author Jane Yolen and popular illustrator Mark Teague compose a playful bedtime book about young dinosaurs and how they behave at night when it is time for bed.

"¿Cómo da las buenas noches
un dinosaurio a papá
cuando va a apagar la luz
porque hay que descansar?
¿Quizás haga pucheros
y pegue con la cola
golpes en el suelo?"

En cada una de las páginas de este
Published April 1st 2002 by Scholastic en Espanol (first published April 1st 2000)

Carol
Nov 30, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, childrens
One of those books that --when your child wants you to read it for the 171st night in a row, with fervor? You don't mind one bit.
Jen
This book is tricksy. Kids love it because it has dinosaurs and adults love it because it is brainwashing in the best way. This is how it goes:

"Oh, does little one not want to go to sleep?"
"NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
"What did you just scream at me like you were possessed of the devil?"
*sigh*
"Okay, let's read a book about how all the dinosaurs you love go right to bed without any fuss. Hmmm...Pteranodon, now does he throw a fit when daddy tells him to get in bed? No! Of course not! He would neve
Mariel
Mar 23, 2011 Mariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: night owls
Recommended to Mariel by: impulse reads
Dinosaurs are extinct 'cause they went to sleep and never woke up. Night owls are still around.
I read this in line at the supermarket (beats tabloids any day. Unless Elvis does decide to really come back). It's cute and funny. Love dinosaurs. (I still love Dr. Seuss more.)
This reminds me of the time when I was a kid and the grandparents gave me an ironic nightgown with a dinosaur on it who didn't wanna go to bed. I'd point to it as my reason/explanation for not going to bed. Dinosaurs don't slee
Lisa Vegan
I did not expect to like this book very much. Sometimes I love being wrong. This book had me laughing from first page to last.

Jane Yolen is not only a prolific writer; she’s incredibly eclectic. The story rhyme is terrific.

The illustrations are outstanding and they’re hilarious. The pictures show a variety of large dinosaurs in human size bedrooms, with a variety of human size human mothers and fathers, and dog size family dogs, and human child size toys and beds and teddy bears. They’re so, so
Annette
May 21, 2011 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose it is not surprising how many children's books are illustrated in a simplistic, spare, or at best cartoonish fashion. And that's fine, of course: art doesn't have to be complicated to be good. What surprises me is how many children's books - even children's books bearing impressive looking award seals - have illustrations that might kindly be described as abstract, but would more likely described as "ugly" by the average 6-year-old. The beautiful "Carl" series (example: You're A Good D ...more
Sterlingcindysu
Mar 21, 2016 Sterlingcindysu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
dinosaur

Now anyone would think it would be easier to put a 2 year old boy down for a nap than to put a dinosaur to bed.

You'd be wrong. Dinosaurs are surprisingly well behaved at bedtime. They even tuck in their tails! And read in bed!

dino reading

A Grandson Storyhour Recommendation
Kathryn
The text was fun, nothing spectacular (maybe I was expecting more by the children's book goddess that is Jane Yolen) but the rhyme is great for those bed-time read alouds. And the story is a very cute and amusing concept. I think the illustrations really brought it to life. The expressions on the dinosaur's faces are SO funny, and the parents, gosh, I bet every mom and dad has made one of those faces at bedtime, haha! I thought it was really clever how the actual name of each dinosaur was writte ...more
midnightfaerie
Jul 01, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
We all loved this one. Similar to another story about dinosaurs being sick we used to own, it's a level 1 reading book at best. But this one is best read out loud for two reasons. First of all, only a parent can truly to justice to the poetic rhyme of the words in this one, and second, because the kids really need to be focusing on these big, beautiful, descriptive pictures while the story is being read. Highly recommended.
Richelle
I just adore Yolen's books. This one centers on different dinosaurs (whose names are hidden within the illustrations so kids can search for the name) showing, first, how not to go to bed, then showing appropriate bedtime behavior. The human moms and dads are of different ages, races, and body types - just like real-life moms and dads. The contrast of the huge dinosaurs in kid-sized bedrooms is hysterical. This book is an excellent read-aloud that invites audience participation.
Ronyell
Jul 19, 2010 Ronyell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ronyell by: The Picture-Book Club
“How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?” is a cute bedtime book by Jane Yolen along with illustrations by Mark Teague and it is about how dinosaurs try to say goodnight to their parents. “How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?” is a cute story that many children would enjoy reading during bedtime.

Jane Yolen makes this story extremely cute as she makes the dinosaurs in this book act like real children and I love the way that Jane Yolen made the dinosaurs childish and loving at the same time towards their paren
Lisa Mason
Sep 11, 2011 Lisa Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? is a picture book that ultimately challenges young children to say goodnight to their parents without the drama and emotion that is often associated with bedtime.
Through repetition and rhyme, this concept book describes inappropriate bedtime responses by a variety of dinosaur species. They include stomping their feet, asking for a piggy back ride, throwing their teddy bears and roaring when mother or father says it is time to say goodnight.

The illustrations onl
Patrick
Feb 20, 2011 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
This book would be a great tool to introduce a dinosaur unit. The teacher could have the students look through the book and see how many dinosaurs they can name. The teacher can also have the children look for the names of the dinosaurs on different pages.
For older kids, the teacher could have the students study the names in the book, to help them build their vocabulary, and maybe do a spelling test on the names. (A spelling test should be done for grades 5 or 6).
The teacher could use the boo
Amy
Jul 17, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I agree with other reviewers that this story is an entertaining "appropriate bedtime behavior" book. There wasn't anything in here that wasn't likable. But the kids that I read this to weren't terribly impressed.

My niece liked it just fine, I suppose, although I don't know if she actually heard it. She was intent on finding the name of the dinosaur hidden on every page, so I really don't think her primary aim was to hear the story.

My nephew just didn't tune in, which really surprised me. He lik
Nicole Doerr
Apr 13, 2012 Nicole Doerr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is such a great book for toddlers and preschoolers. I would classify this book as science fiction because it involves dinosaurs. All young readers love books about dinosaurs. They are excited about them some reason. This book shows different dinosaurs acting out when it is time to go to sleep. But then the book shows that this in not the right way to behave. There is a great lesson with this story which is great for preschoolers.The illustrations in this book are very details and realistic. ...more
Sharon Lawler
Nov 08, 2008 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasant read aloud about bedtime problems. Added bonus is the use of dinosaurs as the main characters. Each one is identified on the end pages, which spurred many of the children to seek additional books about dinosaur from the nonfiction shelves. There are three other "Dinosaur" behavior books in this series by Jane Yolen--"...Eat Dinner", "...Get Well So Soon", and "...Go to School".
Kat
Jun 21, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic plot: The various tactics little "dinosaurs" use to get out of going to bed...

There were dinosaurs I actually recognized in this one! I was excited. The art continues to be great, and the actions of the dinosaurs will cause a chuckle from the adults reading to their children. I like these books, and will continue to seek them out.
Alana
There are lots of books out to teach kids good manners, but when it comes to little boys, few things get through to them in the same way as dinosaurs. Having only a godson, I have no idea if this ploy is as effective with little girls, but I imagine it must be.
Bari
Feb 27, 2012 Bari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Yolen's series about Dinosaurs will sure to be a fan favorite. Both boys and girls will enjoy the dinosaur characters Yolen has created.

This is a an adorable series and I highly recommend them.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Very much in-line with the other dinosaur books by Yolen and Teague. A way to discuss children's appropriate and inappropriate behaviors without directly using children.
Mitchell
A great bedtime story that I was not familiar with. The art is fantastic and the writing funny. And the message is spot on. And you get to hook your kids on dinosaurs as a side benefit.
Courtney
Oct 17, 2008 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
love this whole series because they are so fun to read!
SheriC (Portable Magic)
Preachy and manipulative and almost all the moms are in dresses. But cute dinosaurs.
R.L.
Aug 19, 2012 R.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one I read to my grand child fairly often because it says so much about the process of getting ready for bed with a fun-to-read rhyme and story.
Lydia Erakare
Dec 05, 2016 Lydia Erakare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
1. This book has received the Florida Reading Association Children's Book Award (2002) and is a Massachusetts Book Award Nominee for Children's Picture Book (2001), a Buckaroo Book Award Nominee (2001), and a Book Sense Book of the Year Honor Book for Children's Illustrated (2001).

2. This book is appropriate for K- 1st.

3. Each young dinosaur is supposed to be going to bed. This book explores how each dinosaur says goodnight to their mother and father. Does a dinosaur cry, try to get a piggy ba
Maria
Dec 07, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1.4 to 8 year old's
2. "How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night" by Jane Yolen conveys the many inappropriate ways to say goodnight to your parents when it is bed time. From stopping, throwing teddy bears, asking for piggy back rides and many more children are humored by the detailed illustrations. The Dinosaurs act like real children and show a loving side.
3. This book is great because it shows real life child behavior through the use of dinosaurs which makes it real-table to many children. The pictures
Kayla
Feb 16, 2017 Kayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good night time routine book for 2 year olds and up to 2nd grade. It follows pattern with most Yolen books. It starts by listing all of the bad behaviors(stomping feet, moping, crying, begging for more time awake) that happen before bed time and asks the listener, Does a dinosaur do that? and then it goes on to say No, Dinosaurs don't. After that it lists appropriate bed time behavior (turn out the light, say goodnight, hug and a kiss) I rated this book 4 stars because it seems a littl ...more
Irene McHugh
All of the various dinosaurs pitching fits about going to bed are illustrated in a cartoonish manner mimicking the cartoonish behavior of small children. Sometimes I love the dino gestures and other times I love the look on the faces of the parents. I was surprised that the book was published in 2000 because many of the human parents have a 1950s illustrated vibe that seems out-of-place.

At the end the good little dinosaurs tuck in their tails and hit the sack. I do think the final illustration o
Traci Bold
A clever bedtime story showcasing all of the antics ever used by children throughout time to avoid going to bed. To boot, if your child loves dinosaurs, then this book is for them. Masterfully illustrated with realism and humor. A winning combination of story and illustrations.

Written by Jane Yolen and illustrated by Mark Teague. Published by The Blue Sky Press.

#PB #bedtime #dinosaurs #humor
Maxym
Mar 08, 2017 Maxym rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
I like T Rex because he is a biggest carnivore and can eat all other dinosaurs.
Alicia
Mar 15, 2017 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A entertaining way to teach your kiddos how to go to bed!
MCC Children's Li...: NY top 100 1 3 Feb 06, 2012 05:18PM
  • Good Night, Gorilla
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Giggle, Giggle, Quack
  • Wow! Said the Owl
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...

How Do Dinosaurs...? (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats?