Muddle Earth

Muddle Earth (Muddle Earth #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  861 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Where would you find a perfumed bog filled with pink sticky hogs and exploding gas frogs? A wizard Randalf with only one spell, his ogre cook Norbert and his familiar, sarcastic blue budgie Victoris? In Muddle Earth, anything can happen - and usually does. Joe Jefferson, ordinary schoolboy from ordinary earth, becomes warrior-hero Joe the Barbarian, and conquers Englebert...more
Published 2004 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Muddle Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muddle Earth

An Odd1
Muddle Earth
Intricately detailed portraits, and map preface table-less contents. Sweet snub-nosed Joe and scruffy-haired pet exude innocence. Three-eyed Norbert peers upside down beneath ginormous rump p166. Wide crazy blue eyes stare from eerie face-shadow in hooded Dr Cuddles body p148. Sharp twisted horny spined reptile Margot scarily spikes and smokes p149. "Spittle-tea" and "snot-bread" sound like a mud-pie tea party treat definitely for kiddies.
A tiny elf heads each chapter of ten in 3 Books of prime...more
Lukasz Wertel
This is literally and absolutely, the best book ever written by a human person or an animal. Anyone who dislikes it, is just weird. It has so many jokes, that you can burst laughing once every 10 lines. I just wish the book was longer (or that a second part comes out). I absulutelly recommend it to every person on the planet earth who can read, to read it.
Lisa
Quite funny!
I especially loved the quote 'Trust me, I'm a wizard.'
Karl Orbell
Yet another novel from the mighty duo of Stewart and Riddell. I have read almost all of their work, which is substantial and excellent, before this book, so they had a hard act to follow with a parody format.

Muddle Earth is very popular, it has been converted in to an animated series and received more traction than some of the authors' other work. It is supposedly a parody of Lord of the Rings, though having read it, I can see precious few references to that series, one or two little bits shoe-h...more
sabisteb
Eine Persiflage bekannter fantasy Epen. Aus Gandalf wird Randalf und Mittelerde Muddelerde. Dr. Knuddel ist einer, dessen Name man nicht nennen darf.... Teils wirkt es ein wenig wie Alice im Wunderland. Ach ja, das Troja Mythos muss auch noch daran glauben und da ist ja auch noch Brenda, die Kriegerprinzessin...
Insgesamt nicht sonderlich gelungen, auch einige der quitschigen Soundeffekte sind wirklich sehr irritierend und unpassend. Es ist eine ziemlich platte Veralberung ohne Charme und Seele u...more
Beth Bonini
Another 3 1/2.

Full stars for being a terrifically funny parody of The Lord of the Rings and all of the classic "high" fantasy tropes. And I did love Riddell's distinctive illustrations, which are embedded in the text and TRULY add to the pleasure of the story. One favourite that comes to mind is the picture of the Grubley's discount store where Randalf (the incompetent wizard), Veronica (his sarcastic budgie) and Norbert the-not-so-very-big Ogre go to buy a "warrior-hero" costume for Joe.

But I d...more
Jasmine
We were describing LOTR/Tolkien's storytelling talent to J a few nights ago. She had a zillion questions about the LOTR trilogy and begged to know more, but we said she'd enjoy it more in a few years. The next day, browsing shelves at the library, I stumbled upon "Muddle Earth," which appears to be a kids' lit parody of LOTR -- silliness, dragons, illustrations of elves, etc. Similar in scope and tone to the "How to Train Your Dragon" series of books, from what I recall, but Muddle Earth is a lo...more
Sophie
This is a very funny book which I only realised recently when I read part of the Hobbit that it is a Lord of the Rings parody, so when I have read all of them I am going to read this again to compare.

A good book with very detailed and amusing description, unique characters and lines that made me laugh out loud. Would recommend.
Nicole
Aug 28, 2012 Nicole rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Edward Oliveira
Some good characters where invented in the process of writing this book, all with their own strong personal strengths and quirks. Unfortunately, the characters where not enough to hold the story line, at least not for me. The book lacked all those things that keep me interested: suspense, mistery, a hint of what might be.

In all fairness, it is a parody of the Lord of the Rings so it was never to be taken seriously in the first place. I just found myself a little too old for this one, even thoug...more
Natalie
Jul 16, 2014 Natalie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy and j.r.r tolkien
Recommended to Natalie by: the pricetag (£3)
Shelves: funny-books
this book is just sooo fantastic, it parodies the lord of the rings very well. If you're a fan of fantasy, or just want a book to make you laugh this is the best book for it. The world is greatly original (even if it is based loosely around j.r.r tolkien's classic trilogy) and the characters are unique and sometimes side splittingly hilarious! I love how the book keeps it's own storyline, even if it IS a parody novel.
I've read this book countless times and love it every single time. Simply put,...more
Erin Shakespear
Silly, funny and very quirky. So, of course, I love this book.
Bee
Muddle Earth is one of the funniest parodies I have ever read in my whole entire life. It is supposed to be a children's book but any adult with a bit of humour will love it. (By the way it is a word play with Middle Earth now which book is that?????)

Muddle Earth ist eine der lustigsten Parodien, die ich je gelesen habe. Es ist ein Kinderbuch aber jeder Erwachsene, der ein bischen Humor hat, iwrd es lieben. (Der Titel ist ein Wortspiel mit Mittelerde/ Middle Earth ~ na welches Buch ist das wohl?...more
Neill Smith
Joe is trying to complete an assignment on ‘My Amazing Adventure” while his family is engaged in a number of loud distracting Do-It-Yourself projects. Suddenly he is magically transported to Muddle Earth by an apprentice incompetent wizard and finds himself and his dog employed as a warrior-hero helping to resist the takeover of Muddle Earth by a giggling revengeful teddy bear. The book deals with twists of fantasy stereotypes and is filled with puns and literal idioms.
Jenny
Ok, its dumb but funny. I liked it. This is a three-in-one book that melds Lord of the Rings with A Yankee in King Arthur's Court and one more I am not sure of. It is really meant for children, has lots of references to gross bodily functions, habits, and odors, and ends in a somewhat predictable fashion. Overall I laughed heartily at this book, enjoyed the main plot, and plan to read it to my kids when they are older. I recommend it to those who enjoy silly children stories.
Carla Amon
At first, I found some of the characters annoying, especially Veronica, who is ascerbic & sarcastic. Thid book is also targeted for a younger audience than it's length would suggest. However, by the time I got to this point, I was already hooked on the storyline and wanted to know what was going to happen. The characters grew on me, and the story was inventive, full of action & adventure, and I found it easy to skim over Veronica's dialog.
Carolyn
This was a cute, fun book. Pretty much as far from serious as you can get (flying wardrobes, ogres with snuggly-wugglies, a wizard who can only do one spell) but sometimes you want a fun, silly book. A little hard to get into and the middle got a little slow, but overall, an enjoyable read. Definitely written for the 10-year-old-ish area - recommended if you like silly stories.
Brandon
A little over the top in the ridiculous factor, and starts off sort of slow. But in the end the story was charming and clever.
Cat
Nov 21, 2011 Cat is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell, they are such a team - terrific illustrations and hilariously great writing. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to read Muddle Earth - possibly the consistently large pile of 100+ books by the bedside...Just got the third story to finish and the likelihood of 5 stars is great.
Duane
I love this book! It's funny. It's entertaining. It's unexpected. It's just a great overall read for people of all ages. If you like "LOTR" books then you'll love this spoof. The illustrations add so much to the book. You get to see the funny little querks that you are introduced to. I highly recommend this book to anyone!
Floramanda
My 5 year old and I read it together, it was his first "big boy" chapter book. He says that I should give it 4 stars, but I'm giving it three because of some of the language. It was very silly and I enjoyed the parody of Middle Earth, but I needed to do some editing of the frequent use of "shut up", etc.
Julia Winknler
This book is about a boy called ben and his dog.The story starts wiht him doing homework and with His mum Vacuming.
Ben doe NOT want to do his homework so he goes to take his dog for a walk.His dog is very wild and because of that the two get into a little bit of trouble.
Debbie
Okay, so I didn't actually read all of it, but I just couldn't get into it. I like a lot of the other books by this author, but for some reason this one was SO much like the writing style of the other ones that I got bored and couldn't continue.
Almira B.
This book was a ton of fun to read. The humor can only be described as random, and I loved every second of it. This type of humor is not for everyone, but if you enjoy mindless fun, then give it a try, and I can assure you that you won't regret it.
Mazohyst
I remember reading this when I was younger. Although I don't remember the details, all the creatures and characters never ceased to make me giggle. Even after five years, I remember this book. :] Great read for a younger audience!
Anna
Nov 24, 2012 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: It was mentioned on the radio
I cant remember this so clearly as its been a long time since I last read it but I do remember it being my favourite book when I was around 8, to this day its still one of the only books that really made me laugh out loud!
Rachel
I read this book a million years ago and absolutely loved it, but back then I had no clue what LOTR was about. Now, I found out it is like a parody of LOTR so I'm tempted to read those... just because of this book.
Valerie
This book was a lot of fun. I would have to say that it is similar to books by Terry Pratchett, in that the author is making fun of the whole fantasy genre. Older kids, about 4th grade and beyond will love this book!
Corinne
Sep 19, 2008 Corinne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5-8 graders
Enjoyed this goofy fantasy story of a young boy who is pulled into Muddle Earth as a warrior-hero. A spoof on Narnia and Tolkien's books. Lots of goofy events like attacking wardrobes and helmets of sarcasm.
Shawna
This was an OK read and I'm sure my kids are going to love it but I didn't like it as well as The Edgewood Chronicles. The illustrations as usual were great and highly entertaining.
Sue
We are so sad that this wonderfully funny story has come to an end... But it is now a family favorite that we will re-read for years and years to come. Loved it so much!!!
  • Ghosthunters #4: Ghosthunters and the Muddy Monster of Doom!
  • The Shadow of Malabron (Perilous Realm, #1)
  • Spiegelzeit
  • Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel: The Book Nobody Has Been Waiting For (Barry Trotter, #2)
  • Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell
  • Incompetence
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • A Prince Among Killers (Oathbreaker, #2)
  • Pure Dead Batty (Pure Dead #5)
  • Flight of the Fire Thief (Fire Thief Trilogy, #2)
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Scarecrow and His Servant
  • Myth-Told Tales (Myth Adventures, #13)
  • Guinevere's Gamble (Chrysalis Queen Quartet, #2)
  • Winterkartoffelknödel (Franz Eberhofer, #1)
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
-----------------------------------
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki...more
More about Paul Stewart...
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1) Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2) The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles, #4) The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5) Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)

“Randalf the Wise indeed!I've worn wiser pairs of underpants!” 9 likes