Start by marking “Muddle Earth” as Want to Read:
Muddle Earth

Muddle Earth (Muddle Earth #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,129 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Where would you find a perfumed bog filled with pink sticky hogs and exploding gas frogs? A wizard Randalf with only one spell, his ogre cook Norbert and his familiar, sarcastic blue budgie Victoris? In Muddle Earth, anything can happen - and usually does. Joe Jefferson, ordinary schoolboy from ordinary earth, becomes warrior-hero Joe the Barbarian, and conquers Englebert ...more
Published 2004 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Muddle Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muddle Earth

Me
Jul 02, 2015 Me rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really tried to be interesting and good, but used the same things over and over again and they became really boring.
An Odd1
Aug 15, 2012 An Odd1 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, action, fun
Muddle Earth
Intricately detailed portraits, and map preface table-less contents. Sweet snub-nosed Joe and scruffy-haired pet exude innocence. Three-eyed Norbert peers upside down beneath ginormous rump p166. Wide crazy blue eyes stare from eerie face-shadow in hooded Dr Cuddles body p148. Sharp twisted horny spined reptile Margot scarily spikes and smokes p149. "Spittle-tea" and "snot-bread" sound like a mud-pie tea party treat definitely for kiddies.
A tiny elf heads each chapter of ten in 3 Books of prime
Floriane
Les Chroniques du Marais qui pue, c'est comme Les Chroniques du Bout du Monde mais pour les plus jeunes, en plus simple et plus court. Mêmes auteurs, même édition, même humour et personnages attachants. La quête fantasy par excellence dans un monde drôle et adapté aux plus jeunes. M'est avis que les petits adoreront les histoires de grenouilles péteuses, d'ogres et de montagnes moisies. :D
Donc super pour les enfants, mais trop simpliste pour y prendre un vrai plaisir de lecteur pour les grands.
Noah D'Aliesio
Sep 12, 2015 Noah D'Aliesio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book that I am doing for my review is Muddle Earth by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. The genre of the book is fantasy, because it includes magic. The setting for this book takes place in many different places. Some of the places are The Enchanted Lake, The Horned Baron's Castle, Goblintown, The Musty Mountains, Elfwood, Giggle Glade, Trollbridge, and Ogre Hills. All of those places are in Muddle Earth. The main characters are Joe Jefferson, Henry joe's dog, Randalf the wise, Nobert the not- ...more
Lukasz Wertel
This is literally and absolutely, the best book ever written by a human person or an animal. Anyone who dislikes it, is just weird. It has so many jokes, that you can burst laughing once every 10 lines. I just wish the book was longer (or that a second part comes out). I absulutelly recommend it to every person on the planet earth who can read, to read it.
Shelly Harris
Feb 27, 2016 Shelly Harris rated it liked it
I was hoping for more of a witty parody of lord of the rings, but it really is just a kids book :/
Rick Stuckwisch
Okay, so this was a rather odd and quirky book. Clever, in the way that pre-adolescent boys are clever, and entertaining enough, although it felt a bit clunky and awkward at first, and it took us longer to get into it than usual. Not exactly a parody or spoof, but tending in that direction, with similarities to those genres of humor and literature. We did ease into it as we went along, and the story came together in the end. I noticed that even those members of the family who weren't actually li ...more
Lisa
Jan 26, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite funny!
I especially loved the quote 'Trust me, I'm a wizard.'
Stacy
Mar 04, 2016 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Karl Orbell
Apr 30, 2013 Karl Orbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another novel from the mighty duo of Stewart and Riddell. I have read almost all of their work, which is substantial and excellent, before this book, so they had a hard act to follow with a parody format.

Muddle Earth is very popular, it has been converted in to an animated series and received more traction than some of the authors' other work. It is supposedly a parody of Lord of the Rings, though having read it, I can see precious few references to that series, one or two little bits shoe-h
Elliott James
Apr 09, 2015 Elliott James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Brilliant book, read it when I was ten and absolutely loved it. I loved it so much I read through it all again which I think is a task for ten year old me. It was highly descriptive, funny (to my tastes of humour at the time) and well written.

I'd probably find something wrong with it if I read it again today but the audience of this book is much younger than that of a 20 year old, highly recommended to any youngsters and maybe even a few older people.
sabisteb
Mar 18, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hörbücher
Eine Persiflage bekannter fantasy Epen. Aus Gandalf wird Randalf und Mittelerde Muddelerde. Dr. Knuddel ist einer, dessen Name man nicht nennen darf.... Teils wirkt es ein wenig wie Alice im Wunderland. Ach ja, das Troja Mythos muss auch noch daran glauben und da ist ja auch noch Brenda, die Kriegerprinzessin...
Insgesamt nicht sonderlich gelungen, auch einige der quitschigen Soundeffekte sind wirklich sehr irritierend und unpassend. Es ist eine ziemlich platte Veralberung ohne Charme und Seele u
Beth Bonini
Another 3 1/2.

Full stars for being a terrifically funny parody of The Lord of the Rings and all of the classic "high" fantasy tropes. And I did love Riddell's distinctive illustrations, which are embedded in the text and TRULY add to the pleasure of the story. One favourite that comes to mind is the picture of the Grubley's discount store where Randalf (the incompetent wizard), Veronica (his sarcastic budgie) and Norbert the-not-so-very-big Ogre go to buy a "warrior-hero" costume for Joe.

But I d
Jasmine
Sep 24, 2011 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We were describing LOTR/Tolkien's storytelling talent to J a few nights ago. She had a zillion questions about the LOTR trilogy and begged to know more, but we said she'd enjoy it more in a few years. The next day, browsing shelves at the library, I stumbled upon "Muddle Earth," which appears to be a kids' lit parody of LOTR -- silliness, dragons, illustrations of elves, etc. Similar in scope and tone to the "How to Train Your Dragon" series of books, from what I recall, but Muddle Earth is a lo ...more
Sophie
Mar 19, 2014 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very funny book which I only realised recently when I read part of the Hobbit that it is a Lord of the Rings parody, so when I have read all of them I am going to read this again to compare.

A good book with very detailed and amusing description, unique characters and lines that made me laugh out loud. Would recommend.
Srsmith
Sep 25, 2014 Srsmith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a book quite like this one. It was hilarious! A parody of Middle Earth from the Lord of the Rings it was very well done. Musty Mountains, Mount Boom, Lord of the Teaspoons, it all added up to a wonderful book.
Sarah Stace
I can see why children would love this but I don't think it translates well to adults (which is what I think makes a truly terrific children's books).
Nicole
Aug 28, 2012 Nicole rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Edward Oliveira
Some good characters where invented in the process of writing this book, all with their own strong personal strengths and quirks. Unfortunately, the characters where not enough to hold the story line, at least not for me. The book lacked all those things that keep me interested: suspense, mistery, a hint of what might be.

In all fairness, it is a parody of the Lord of the Rings so it was never to be taken seriously in the first place. I just found myself a little too old for this one, even thoug
Natalie
Jul 16, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy and j.r.r tolkien
Recommended to Natalie by: the pricetag (£3)
Shelves: funny-books
this book is just sooo fantastic, it parodies the lord of the rings very well. If you're a fan of fantasy, or just want a book to make you laugh this is the best book for it. The world is greatly original (even if it is based loosely around j.r.r tolkien's classic trilogy) and the characters are unique and sometimes side splittingly hilarious! I love how the book keeps it's own storyline, even if it IS a parody novel.
I've read this book countless times and love it every single time. Simply put,
Levi
Jan 20, 2016 Levi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! The amazing combo of Stewart and Riddell has done it again!
Rachel
Oct 10, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it out loud to Kjai and Cirdan and we all thoroughly enjoyed it :)
Erin Shakespear
Mar 09, 2014 Erin Shakespear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silly, funny and very quirky. So, of course, I love this book.
Bee Halton
Sep 24, 2011 Bee Halton rated it really liked it
Muddle Earth is one of the funniest parodies I have ever read in my whole entire life. It is supposed to be a children's book but any adult with a bit of humour will love it. (By the way it is a word play with Middle Earth now which book is that?????)

Muddle Earth ist eine der lustigsten Parodien, die ich je gelesen habe. Es ist ein Kinderbuch aber jeder Erwachsene, der ein bischen Humor hat, iwrd es lieben. (Der Titel ist ein Wortspiel mit Mittelerde/ Middle Earth ~ na welches Buch ist das wohl?
Neill Smith
Aug 07, 2011 Neill Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe is trying to complete an assignment on ‘My Amazing Adventure” while his family is engaged in a number of loud distracting Do-It-Yourself projects. Suddenly he is magically transported to Muddle Earth by an apprentice incompetent wizard and finds himself and his dog employed as a warrior-hero helping to resist the takeover of Muddle Earth by a giggling revengeful teddy bear. The book deals with twists of fantasy stereotypes and is filled with puns and literal idioms.
Jenny
Jul 28, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, its dumb but funny. I liked it. This is a three-in-one book that melds Lord of the Rings with A Yankee in King Arthur's Court and one more I am not sure of. It is really meant for children, has lots of references to gross bodily functions, habits, and odors, and ends in a somewhat predictable fashion. Overall I laughed heartily at this book, enjoyed the main plot, and plan to read it to my kids when they are older. I recommend it to those who enjoy silly children stories.
Carla
Oct 20, 2010 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I found some of the characters annoying, especially Veronica, who is ascerbic & sarcastic. Thid book is also targeted for a younger audience than it's length would suggest. However, by the time I got to this point, I was already hooked on the storyline and wanted to know what was going to happen. The characters grew on me, and the story was inventive, full of action & adventure, and I found it easy to skim over Veronica's dialog.
Carolyn
This was a cute, fun book. Pretty much as far from serious as you can get (flying wardrobes, ogres with snuggly-wugglies, a wizard who can only do one spell) but sometimes you want a fun, silly book. A little hard to get into and the middle got a little slow, but overall, an enjoyable read. Definitely written for the 10-year-old-ish area - recommended if you like silly stories.
Brandon
A little over the top in the ridiculous factor, and starts off sort of slow. But in the end the story was charming and clever.
Cat
I do love Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell, they are such a team - terrific illustrations and hilariously great writing. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to read Muddle Earth - possibly the consistently large pile of 100+ books by the bedside...Just got the third story to finish and the likelihood of 5 stars is great.
Duane
Apr 22, 2008 Duane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It's funny. It's entertaining. It's unexpected. It's just a great overall read for people of all ages. If you like "LOTR" books then you'll love this spoof. The illustrations add so much to the book. You get to see the funny little querks that you are introduced to. I highly recommend this book to anyone!
  • Howl's Moving Castle Film Comic, Vol. 2
  • The Fir Tree
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Oddfellow's Orphanage
  • 放浪息子 7
  • 六花の勇者 (Rokka no Yuusha, #1)
  • Bag in the Wind
  • Chasing Odysseus (Hero Trilogy, #1)
  • Ghosthunters and the Muddy Monster of Doom! (Ghosthunters, #4)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix Vol. 2
  • Die Träume des Jonathan Jabbok (Neschan-Trilogie, #1)
  • Darth Vader #9
  • Zodiac Starforce #1
  • Ultraman, Vol. 1
  • A Children's Treasury of Milligan: Classic Stories and Poems by Spike Milligan
  • Chrono Crusade, Vol. 5 (Chrono Crusade, #5)
  • Spiegelzeit
  • The Fires Beneath the Sea
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
-----------------------------------
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki
More about Paul Stewart...

Muddle Earth (3 books)