Start by marking “Fergus Crane” as Want to Read:
Fergus Crane

Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,545 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
A fantasy adventure from the authors of the bestselling Edge Chronicles books

Dear Fergus: Prepare yourself. Wear two pullovers and a scarf… tonight is the night!

In this fast, exciting and inventive tale, set in a mysterious yet familiar world, a strange flying box appears at the window of Fergus Crane’s waterfront home. Fergus is plunged headlong into an exciting adventure
Published April 1st 2004 by Doubleday Childrens (first published January 1st 2004)

Hannah
May 08, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book! I have had it for quite a while now and eventually I read it and don't regret it, but I do regret not reading it sooner as I think that I have now slightly outgrown it! It was super-quick, super-quirky and super-cute read and I recommended it for children aged 5 -11. Oh, and the illustrations are fantastic!
Jen
Jul 16, 2012 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, fantastical
How narrow of a category is steampunk? Thought not really set in any time period, it seems to fit with the general idea of steampunk -- a non-technological era infused with fantastic technologies that, in all reality, will never be successfully invented.

It was a fun and quick read, although there were quite a few holes in the story that surprised me. There was no real development of friendship between Fergus and the four other students on the school ship Bettie-Jeanne (and yet they proved to be
An Odd1
May 03, 2012 An Odd1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fun
"Fergus Crane" (Far-Flung Adventures 1) by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell replace chapter titles with 25 different fish riding bicycles, and 24 unique boxes around leading capitals that enclose appropriate person, except chapter 17, he dreams of an elephant riding, and the epilogue, where the bicycle has crashed. Reminder of book 1 where mermaid Daisy rode along the beach and inspired play mentions here?

Every trivial detail entertains, distracts. Boxes and metal horses have wings, and fly. Peng
Corinne
Apr 18, 2015 Corinne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading aloud to son... Man the first few chapters are brutal. I'm trying to convince him to hang in there. So many descriptions of food, places and people.
---------------
It never stopped being over descriptive. The use of overly long names, uncommon (or made up names) and the over describing made the skeleton of the story hard to see or appreciate. Seriously both of us were groaning out loud in the last chapter.

"At the tall, pointing statue of General Montmorency, Fergus and the captain turned
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read a lot of books in The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell, I was happy to see that they have started another series for younger readers. There are a a ton of drawings in this book and all of them are spectacular. The story is quick-paced and the characters are wonderfully designed.

I absolutely love the writing style of Paul Stewart and the artistic ability of Chris Riddell. As for Fergus Crane, he is the type of lead character that all kids will enjoy reading about. Is
Kate Z
Dec 12, 2012 Kate Z rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up for Will, thinking it would be age and reading level appropriate. After my little fiasco with Monster Slayers I am being more careful about what I put in front of him so when I finished my book on the airplane I decided to start Fegus and check it out. I love it!

Will could not get through the first chapter alone - this is a book I would have to start for him. Fergus lives "quayside" and goes to school on a boat that is "moored". Fergus' mother works in a bakery at the cake
Karl Orbell
Sep 17, 2012 Karl Orbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a great many books by the team of Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell, but had managed to skip past the Far Flung Adventure series, as they were aimed at an even younger than usual audience. Well, this book is the first in the series, and at the time of reading I am three to four times the target age range - it is definitely suitable for me!

Fergus is a typical boy for an adventure story, young, poor, father went missing at birth, lives in a port and goes to school on a pirate ship. He had
Libby Ames
Fergus Crane is a new favorite for our entire family. The captivating story kept my eleven-year-old’s interest, but wasn’t too scary for my five-year-old. The wonderful illustrations made it a fun read aloud with plenty of pausing to discuss the pictures. This same author/illustrator pair also has a young adult series called the Edge Chronicles that I am excited to try as well.

This first Far Flung Adventure features Fergus Crane. With his father missing at sea, Fergus and his mother are scraping
Alika Ting
Feb 23, 2015 Alika Ting rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting, fun children's book. I love children's books, sometimes even more than the books actually meant for my age. After a few dramatic preteen reads, a children's story is needed to lift up ones spirits! Fergus Crane is a boy who gets a letter one day from his long-lost uncle, who warns him that he is in great danger. This book comes with pictures every few pages, which I really like.
Quinn Brandon
Fergus lives a pretty normal life but goes to a weird boat school with weird teachers. One day he finds a box that leads him to his uncle. He learns that his teachers are actually pirates and are taking the students to a island. Fergus needs to save them. I thought this book okay. Some parts were entertaining while other parts were confusing.
Charlyn
Dec 15, 2009 Charlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grade 4 and above
I enjoy nearly every book by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell that I read. This entry in the Far-Flung Adventures series is a short fantasy about Fergus Crane whose missing father has greatly affected the lives of the young boy and his mother. One has to accept the rather preposterous idea that a mother would send her child to a school on a ship where the teachers closely resemble pirates, but--once you get over that hurdle--the flying box and flying metal horse fit right into a story where a scho ...more
Julia Winknler
Sep 23, 2007 Julia Winknler rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I like this book because I like the author and the Chris riddle very much two.I like fantasie sories and stories bout things that are not true.This book is a bout a boy who has a mom and a very very very small apatyment.The mother is working in a bakery and fergus.....Fergus Crance is going to a very special school with only 5 children,on a pirate ship,with pirate teachers.Fergus' best friend is the parrot of the captian .>>Don't go to school tomorrow!<<,she says one day.>>mabe ...more
Kate
Jan 12, 2016 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Fantasy, adventure, pirates, a school on a ship-this book will be read by fans of the Edge Chronicles and those who are looking for a fun read with some illustrations interspersed.
Having read Corby Flood (The sequel) before hand-and loving it-giving it 5 stars, i had high hopes for this.
I was disappointed. IT was good book. I DID enjoy it. I was happy with it, but i guess the rating i gave it is form my high hopes. Unlike CORBY FLOOD. this was predictable. The pictures were great-but not as good as CORBY FLOOD again.
I like the characters. I like the descriptions. I like the scenery, but i dont know why im still disappointed. I shouldn't have held it with such high hopes
Miss
Aug 23, 2015 Miss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heart ages 5-15
Shelves: childrens, adventure
Oh my gosh these are just so inventive and FUN and the ILLUSTRATIONS are FABULOUS. Highly recommended!!! The whole series is wonderful.
DavidO
Feb 25, 2014 DavidO rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
People say you should only say nice things. So, let me say that the artist with many illustrations in this book is very good and captures the scenes and characters brilliantly.
Jeff Bilman
A very well written book. I did find it initially quite slow and it took about 50 pages before it felt like anything was happening. A lot of time was spent with characters in this early stage that ultimately didn't really have much to do with the story.

When things got going it was enjoyable and interesting, although the ease at which Fergus defeated his foes was a little disappointing in the end. I would have preferred a bigger struggle. The illustrations were very good and added to the appeal
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Extremely well-written with superb illustrations. I have read all of the Far Flung Adventures – this is book one of three. I plan to read The Edge Chronicles soon – a series of seven books by the same authors.

One character in Fergus Crane who I really like is Uncle Theo, an inventor who instead of using a wheelchair, uses a walking chair.

A fascinating tale of fantasy and adventure. The other two Far Flung Adventures (Corby Flood and Hugo Pepper) build upon story elements (characters, setting, h
ChattyNatty
This book was a good adventure filler story, it had a good plot and positive messages.
Delie Dell Chua
Feb 25, 2014 Delie Dell Chua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got hungry reading this book, I love the desserts and pastries created by fergus's mom
Pat Knight
Jul 18, 2014 Pat Knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read. It reminded me of whimsical fantasy like the Phantom Tollbooth or Mr. Popper's Penguins.
Chloe
Mar 24, 2012 Chloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
I remember this book as a gift from a friend and reading it immediately. I was nine or ten then and I can't stop reading the book because the story was cute and interesting to me. Flipping through the pages right now brings back childhood memories so I decided that I will re-read it again also because I forgot what the story was about and I kind of miss it. Something tells me that even if it looks silly just by staring at it 'cause it's a book fit for kids, I would totally be one with the childr ...more
Jill
Feb 20, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quick fun and just a little quirky.
Caitlyn Van
Weer zulke mooie tekeningen en een lekker fantasierijk verhaal.
Lee Miller
Dec 07, 2015 Lee Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started off a bit slow - which was probably intentional - but really picked up and had me wanting more by the time it was all over. A quick, super-fun read for reluctant readers, fantasy fans, adventure addicts, or hesitant hermits.

Clint
Feb 01, 2016 Clint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
3.5 - This was a fun little book that I read to my three boys (ages 6,3,1). My 6 year old loved it, he looked forward to reading every night. My 3 year old followed bits and pieces, but he wanted more pictures. While I felt the story was a little slow to develop at first, once it did pick up it was quite enjoyable both for myself and especially for my 6 year old. Any book that is fun for me to read to my kids and helps get them excited about reading is worthy of my recommendation, and this book ...more
Erin May
Jul 18, 2015 Erin May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possible read-aloud; story of friendship, bravery, and family
Mayleen
Feb 16, 2016 Mayleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fergus Crane was another childhood book of mine which has proudly stayed with me throughout the years. (I'm serious, there's a copy of it on my shelf.) I am proud to have been the beneficiary of my mom's forward thinking of letting me read such a spectacular book at such a young age.

The illustrations were absolutely adorable. The storytelling was fascinating and magical, like stepping into a portal to another land completely different from my own. There's even a flying metal horse! Need I go on
Parwaiz
Nov 27, 2013 Parwaiz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom picked this book for me. At first I thought, i wont like it, but after I read it,I was so thankful to my mom.
Its a very good read. Very well written. The one character I like the most in the story is Uncle Theo, who is the inventor in the story, instead of using using a wheelchair, he uses walking chair.
Very interesting story. Hope you all will like it too. I am reading more in this series. I ordered it from the library and waiting for my mom to go and pick it for me.
Evyln
Mar 31, 2016 Evyln rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite childhood book
t.s. goodreads bibliotekāri 1 4 Jun 10, 2012 11:58AM
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • The Mouse and His Child
  • A Whole Nother Story
  • The Silver Crown
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic (Toys, #1)
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • Secret Identity (Shredderman, #1)
  • Cartoon History of the Universe I, Vol. 1-7: From the Big Bang to Alexander the Great
  • Novels by Walter Moers: The 13 1|2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures, the City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia, #1, #3, #4) (Dreaming Books, #1)
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • The Mousehunter (Mousehunter Trilogy, #1)
  • The House of Dies Drear (Dies Drear Chronicles, #1)
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
-----------------------------------
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki
More about Paul Stewart...

Far-Flung Adventures (3 books)
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)