Start by marking “The Graveyard Shift” as Want to Read:
The Graveyard Shift

The Graveyard Shift (Nick Miller #1)

The Graveyard Shift is the first of three classic police thrillers featuring detective Nick Miller -- now available in America for the first time...

An ex-convict and an unconventional cop duke it out in the midnight hours -- only one of them will live to see the dawn.
Published December 3rd 2002 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Graveyard Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Graveyard Shift

Oct 15, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent audio book since it was read by Patrick MacNee (aka John Steed of the Avengers) & the main character resembled Steed in many ways. He was a cop, not a spy, but he had the same class & excellent skills, even though it was his first day on the new job. While the coincidence & some of the cliches might seem like a bit too much if I were to describe them flatly, in the context of the story, the way everything twists together & contrasts at the end make it a mast ...more
Welugewe Aningo
Nov 30, 2015 Welugewe Aningo rated it liked it
Listened to the audio book during a road trip. Kind of stereotypical but fun. Calling the doctor "The Indian" startled me and prepared me for "The Negro". Beyond the stereotypes, the writing captured my imagination and plot was sufficient to keep me engaged during the drive.
This is another of the old Jack Higgins that was originally published under the name John Long in 1965.

This actually turned out better than I expected. So far I have not had much luck with the older Higgins so I did not have high hopes.

This was slightly different than the usual Higgins. I don't usually associate him with crime novels as such. I mean he does have a gangster element to them but not usually involving the police. This time it had CID, and is apparently the first in the series with
Alasandra Alawine
Nov 11, 2012 Alasandra Alawine rated it it was amazing
One of the first Nick Miller books, I wish I had read them in order. Ben Garvald is out of prison and his ex sister in law, Jean Fleming goes to the police with a tale of how he is angry that her sister Bella divorced him and remarried. Nick is tasked with finding Ben and warning him to stay away from Bella but as Nick follows Ben's trail Jean's story begins to unravel.

Trying to show Nick up Jack Brandy visits Manton to question him on Ben's whereabouts and is pushed down the stairs by one of Ma
Jan 27, 2008 Johnsergeant rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, audiblecom
Downloaded from

Narrator: Patrick Macnee
Publisher: Phoenix Audio, 2003
Length: 5 hours and 4 min.

Publisher's Summary
Hours before dawn, the human vermin of English society come out to play. Ben Garvald is one of those vermin, a recently released convict determined to collect the money he served time for. Nick Miller, a tough and intelligent cop, is new to the graveyard shift. His family and his co-workers can't quite understand him, but Miller is determined to get the job done by any me
Jun 06, 2009 J.R. rated it it was ok
Sadly, I must report my disappointment in Jack Higgins' THE GRAVEYARD SHIFT. Many details that the author must have felt important were unnecessarily repeated throughout, where I would have liked to see more character and plot development. Instead, I felt as though I was following Sergeant Nick Miller around on his 8 hour overnight shift, searching for a guy who was recently released from prison. And when I say following for 8 hours, it felt like minute to minute. Others do like his style, but i ...more
The first of the Nick Miller books finds the newly promoted Detective Sgt tasked to warn a man newly released from prison to not contact his ex-wife. The bodies start to drop as he tries to find out what secret this man holds that so many people are willing to try and silence him. Ok read you can see how Sean Dillon came into being as Nick Miller and he are very similar.
Jul 09, 2013 Aaron rated it liked it
This was a fun little mystery and a quick read. Even though I was not totally engaged I was still able to make note of the key plot devices and characters. The main copper was a college educated man by the name of Miller who did not always act in the refined way he was built up. Some references were hard to understand as the book was originally published in the early sixties.
Pamela Fernandes
Aug 10, 2015 Pamela Fernandes rated it liked it
Nick Miller is a really good draw in the book, but I loved Ben Garvald. His character was so multi dimensional, I felt so sad that he dies. And just to get an idea of how fast paced this book is. Its all about the one shift and all these pages takes place in 8 hours. Fantastic read.
Jan 29, 2016 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
The quality of the audio recording was really poor, and so it skipped continually. I got the gist of the plot, but couldn't really follow most of it.
Jul 11, 2009 Carmen rated it liked it
set in the 60's in England. Ben gets out of prison and tries to find his money from his share of the bank heist. Along the way he meets lots of characters and is killed. But who did it?
Nov 25, 2012 Charmaine rated it liked it
This is one of those books you can read on the plane. Interesting enough to want to read to the end but easy to get through.
Sep 01, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it
I registered a book at!
Nov 02, 2009 Quinn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-books, action
I really enjoyed the flow of this book. I thought the ending was good but the last sentence was classic.
John rated it liked it
May 06, 2011
Scott Christmas
Scott Christmas rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Mary rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Jibran Effendi
Jibran Effendi rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Chris rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Laurel rated it liked it
May 06, 2013
Bill Sullivan
Bill Sullivan rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2011
Giriesh rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Stuart Thomson
Stuart Thomson rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Shawn Dickinson
Shawn Dickinson rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Lorraine rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Dan rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Steve rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Feb 07, 2009 Penny rated it liked it
Shelves: jack-higgins
aka Bloody Passage - as Harry Patterson. BC
Tim Merriman
Tim Merriman rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2008
Valerie rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • My Life in and out of the Rough: The Truth Behind All That Bull**** You Think You Know About Me
  • Looking for a Ship
  • Golf in the Kingdom
  • Adrian Mole: The Lost Years (Adrian Mole #1-4)
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • The Kill Zone
  • Dragon Fire
  • The Simple Rules of Love
  • Confessions of an Actor
  • The Pinocchio Syndrome
  • Do Ants Have Arseholes?
  • About Face: Odyssey Of An American Warrior
  • Transformers: Ghosts of Yesterday
  • Blessed: The Autobiography
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • Sacred Stone (The Oregon Files, #2)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
  • Mad World, My Masters: Tales from a Traveller's Life
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Nick Miller (3 books)
  • Brought In Dead (Nick Miller #2)
  • Hell Is Always Today