Start by marking “Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)” as Want to Read:
Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)

Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,592 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Jack Higgins is the Ebola virus of thriller writers: his prose is so contagious that it makes you read along feverishly until the bitter end. Since there's no known cure, you might as well lie back and enjoy his latest attack, a compulsively readable story about an alliance between the New York Mafia and Irish Loyalists to recover 50 million pounds worth of stolen gold bul ...more
Published January 8th 1998 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Drink with the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drink with the Devil

S.
hey man

yeah you

you looking for a hit?

I gots another book review for you.

hear you've been fiendin. up all night. sweat poring out of every pore.

you've been needin' textual satisfaction...

oh that sweet book review satisfaction. can't get it nowhere else but here. m.goodreads.com. type it on your cell phone and I'll be at your place in seconds

you know you like it

you know you love it

you know you've been reading since you were six years old.

and nobody else is going to deliver you bespoke product, in
Brad
I enjoy the twists and turns of Higgins' tales. Or maybe it's the Irish brogue and turns of phrase. As ever may be. :)
Kelly
A typical Higgins story. Although I should say a typical Higgins story when he cared about how he wrote. His last 3 or 4 books have been lousy with just action and underdeveloped characters and plot lines. This is one of his good ones - fast paced, good character development.
Carl Brookins

Here is the master storyteller at the top of his game. It’s a cracking good story with fascinating characters emeshed on a high ride to a satisfactory if sad conclusion. DRINK WITH THE DEVIL spans a ten year period and finally pits Higgins charming Irish rogue, ex mercenary, ex IRA enforcer, now a hired killer for His Majesty’s Government, Sean Dillon against an evil American Mafioso.

The goal is a truckload of British gold bullion that lies in nearly one hundred fathom, off the Irish coast. It w
Uri

Yet another book by Jack Higgins where Dillon et all have to retrieve from the sea (or anywhere else for that matter) some kind of cargo or a top secret document that threatens to expose someone or create havoc for the future of a conflicting region.

You would think that as writer Higgins could come up with better and more original ideas, but he keeps writing cookie-cutter books that have plots that are way too similar. You Don't believe me? Look at the plots from these Sean Dillon books:

Thunder
Bonnie
I really have gotten hooked on the "Sean Dillon" series by Mr. Higgins. The characters are interesting and there are always surprises. The violence, while plentiful, isn't too graphic. This story starts with a long flashback that sets the scene for what happens later.
I have noticed a little sloppiness (for want of a better word) this series. Mr. Higgins needs to branch out with his choice of Russian surnames. It can get a little confusing when another character has the same last name as one in a
Jim
When it comes to thrillers--a category that most definitely includes this book and the entire Sean Dillon series--I accept a few plot holes and implausibilities and the like as necessities to keep the fun and excitement level going strong. After all, if everyone is rational and of human dimensions, then things won't be as thrilling. But there are limits. And this Dillon outing has far, far too many plot holes--and two, in particular, that you could fly a 747 through. No spoiler here with regard ...more
Bob
An early Higgins with Sean Dillon appearing first as an supporter of the IRA as he gets hooked up with a top man in the IRA to hijack a shipment of gold in Britain, the heist goes of without a hitch, but the crew of the boat hired to carry the truck to Ireland tries a takeover themselves and the boat ends up sinking. Jump ahead to the present and Dillion, now working for Brigadier Ferguson is called on to stop a recovery effort to raise the gold mounted by another old IRA member in partnership w ...more
Henri Moreaux
This wasn't too bad, but wasn't Jack Higgin's best work either.

The first half of the book is essentially an extended prologue for the real story which takes place in the latter half of the book. I didn't really get much out of the first half and think it could have been handled much better with a few pages or a chapter then the meat of the book dedicated to the 'present day' story.

Asides from the lengthy 'past' section the books main fault is the second half of the book has an epic plot hole. W
Marianne
I've read a lot of this series, and this one is close to the beginning, and all through the book, I kept thinking I had read this book. Some of it was so familiar, but some not.
Interesting plot, but not Higgins best resolution. IMO
Uke Jackson
Read this one overnight, in paperback. It's got an IRA / Protestant theme. It's a first rate thriller, no doubt. There's some glib (I believe) tweaking of powerful noses -- showing up the heads of nation states for the hypocrites they. Ruthless killers on first name terms with John Major and Bill Clinton.

A gold heist is at the heart of the story. There's a prison break, Mafiosi, and some serious Irish thugs. Written twelve years ago, it still resonates as the economy deteriorates and violence st
Patricia
Quick read made more interesting by the fact that we had visited that area of England in the past. Formula mystery novel, not my favourite genre.
Mark
Fairly entertaining. I guess when Jack has to turn out 100s he can't hit them all out of the park.
James Murphy
Another intriguing page-turner from Jack Higgins. This one starts off with a bit of back story featuring protagonist Sean Dillon and focuses on a planned heist of gold bullion. A good read for a rainy afternoon.
Kay
This is about financing the war in Ireland and double dealing. Far too violent for me.
Lee
This Sean Dillon novel starts with a mysterious man named Martin Keough helping a Protestant Loyalist hijack a shipment of gold. Threatened with IRA gunman when escaping they dump the gold in the sea and retreat. Fast forward 10 years that Loyalist man is in prison in the US and the Mafia hears about the gold. Partnering with the IRA they help break him from prison to lead them to the gold. The problem Martin Keough is really former IRA gunmen Sean Dillon who now works for the British Prime Min ...more
David
A solid 3.5. Good story, easy read. More intrigue would make it a 4.
Kathy
Well, if you have read one of Higgins' books, you've read them all. This is my third. I read the audiobook version and it at least kept me awake when I took my 90-minute drives to classes. I was disappointed that he did not keep the background of the characters going. In fact, characters that were central to previous books were not only peripheral in this book but had no depth or substance. The love story, as always was instant and unbelievable. This will be the last book I read of his --there i ...more
Gary Barrentine
Not sure who to vote for in this one.
Bubba
fast read, keeps thangs moving.
David Diamantes
DRINK WITH THE DEVIL is the first Harry Patterson book(writing as Jack Higgins) I have read. Other than the protagonist's character being a little campy, I liked the story and the character development. Not a huge problem, Tom Clancy did the same thing with Jack Ryan. The guy is just too special. The "plot holes" another reviewer was bothered by didn't cause me any problems. The proof of the pudding is that I'm planning on reading more of Patterson's books. DRINK WITH THE DEVIL is worth a read!
Bob Kelley
I'm sometimes embarrassed to admit I like reading Jack Higgins books. I do.
I look forward to the predictable opening seen of a late night rainy opening scene
where an unknown man saves a woman from a number of thugs in leather bomber jackets.
I laugh ever time someone in the story eats a ham sandwich. I wait for the moment
when Bushnell's is poured. Yet, after a stressful day, these stories are the literary
equivalent of watching a sitcom. Quick, easy on the nerves, and escapist.
Guenther Sagan
lots of twists and turns
Monique
Pretty good read, ending quite sudden though.
Stephen Clarke
I generally like Jack Higgins novels and this one wasn't too bad however this book was just a little too predictable for me and I guessed the ending far too early (about 25% into the story). That said and even with the plot holes, I still found it entertaining but not his best work by any means.
Diana Kramer
I just think I like rough around the edges characters, flawed individuals because it makes them real. I can live with people who are aware of their shortcomings, especially if they have a sense of humor about it.
Karisa
Meh. I was going along, more or less enjoying the story, when the slap-dash ending rushed my enjoyment of the story right out the window. 3 stars for the first 95%,1 star (because 0 isn't an option) for the ending.
Daviyd
Dillon reminds me of McGyver, able to penetrate anyplace with the most hair-raiseing schemes ever and with the bullets necessary to boot...when it comes to bring down terrorism this is your last action hero book.
Lynette Barfield
I have been reading Jack Higgins books for years and I am a big fan. This is an early Sean Dillon book which gives some background into his history with the IRA. I am never disappointed with author.
Pete
The story is somewhat flawed but this is a fairly satisfying novel. Higgins brings the Liam Devlin character from 'The Eagle Has Landed' back to team up with Sean Dillon and that worked to great advantage.
  • The Legacy
  • Spy Line (Bernard Samson, #5)
  • The Golden Gate
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)
  • Hellfire
  • The Cassandra Compact (Covert-One, #2)
  • Wildcat  (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #6)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
  • The Fifth Profession
  • Hot Blood (Dan Shepherd, #4)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection
  • Day of Reckoning
  • Edge of Danger
  • Midnight Runner
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)