Start by marking “Mountains of Spices” as Want to Read:
Mountains of Spices

Mountains of Spices (High Places #2)

An allegory of the nine spices mentioned in Song of Solomon compared with the nine fruits of the Spirit.
Published June 20th 1983 by Tyndale Momentum (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Mountains of Spices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountains of Spices

Dave
Jun 27, 2010 Dave rated it it was amazing
Great sequal to Hind's Feet. After personal healing and an understanding of who we are in Him, our time in His presence leads to a change of passions within us as we transformed into His image. The fruit of the Spirit bloom and should quite naturally lead to extending the kingdom of His love to the world
Carter E
Nov 16, 2011 Carter E rated it liked it
I thought this book was different. Mountains of Spices is the book I just got done reading. This book is really different than any other book I have read in the past. Mountains of Spices has Kings and Queens in it. Not only that but it also has many chapters about mountains and their significance in this book. For every mountain there is at least 1 or 2 poems for them describing them and their importance in the book. I would recommend this book to someone who is in the mood of reading about Kin ...more
Liz
Jan 30, 2014 Liz rated it liked it
While I loved Hinds Feet on High Places, I felt 'meh' about Mountains of Spices. The allegory felt more forced and the conflict is a little too easily resolved.

After returning from the High Places with the Shepherd, newly re-named Much Afraid (now Grace and Glory) encounters her old life and family - Bitterness, Umbrage, Murmurings, Craven Fear, Mrs. Dismal Forebodings, etc. Through introducing them to the Shepherd, everyone is re-named as they experience transformation - from Craven Fear to Fea
Elsa
Mar 25, 2013 Elsa rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book.
That about sums it up.
Clare Farrelly
Oct 16, 2016 Clare Farrelly rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars. There was a lot of telling in this book and preaching, but I expected that because of the first book. But everything is still written in a most lovely and understandable way, except for the occasional word that crops up that I had never seen before which is a hugely unusual thing for me to find. The allegory or at least the analogies withing the analogies within the while allegory occasionally got just a bit too odd and strange that I pulled me out of the story.

Still I e
Sylvia
Feb 15, 2017 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful, rich allegory of the sanctifying work Christ does in our life.
Karin
Oct 09, 2013 Karin rated it it was amazing
Mountains of Spices is the sequel to Hannah Hurnard's Hinds Feet on High Places. Mountains of Spices reunites us with the character Much Afraid, who by the end of Hinds Feet... is given the new name Grace and Glory by the Shepherd.
In this sequel, each mountain contains a spice, there are nine in all. The spices represent the virtues and gifts/fruits of the Holy Spirit.
The allegory unfolds a beautiful story of transformation of the characters who still represent vices like Craven Fear, Pride and
Hannah Corson
Dec 23, 2014 Hannah Corson rated it liked it
See review about Hinds Feet on High Places. :)

Very similar book, but still super great for my soul. After reading both these books, I just FEEL better about life, ya know? Maybe nothings really changed, but somehow reading about some chick named Grace and Glory and her relatives struggling to trust the Shepherd and make decisions that seem illogical, yet makes sense at the same time. :sigh: Idk how to explain it except that it's encouraging. I am a person of faith, and reading stories about oth
Johnnie
May 03, 2013 Johnnie rated it it was amazing
I am rereading this old classic for a book project my daughter, Rachelle Davis is writing. She is going to challenge women to take a week long challenge to strengthen body, mind, soul, and spirit. This is the book to strengthen your spirit and she asked me to write the "study guide." What a treat. This old book has been on my shelf (after I read the whole thing in one weekend) for over 20 years....and it came back alive today when I opened the first pages. I am using it as my "treat" for finishi ...more
Mar 28, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Years ago I read 'Hind's Feet on High Places' and liked it too. I picked this up last year and had it in my purse for reading when I'm waiting in line at the doctor's office or post office or whatever. So it's taken me the better part of a year to read, but not because the book isn't interesting, simply because I didn't read it steadily.

The poems and songs in this book are beautiful. I found myself encouraged over and over to trust God, and reminded over and over I am c
Erin
Aug 13, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I did take a break from it for about a month b/c I wanted to be able to full concentrate on what she was writing. I loved the allegory of the fruits of the Spirit to the spices (mentioned in Song of Solomon) on the different mountains. And how our weaknesses in the flesh, like bitterness or anger, can be come strengths when we operate in the Spirit. I knew that but I just loved the truths Hurnard expressed in this book concerning all of that. And I couldn't wait to read about th ...more
Candice Barnes
Apr 21, 2016 Candice Barnes rated it really liked it
I have read this a couple times. The first time, I found the narrative a little disjointed with the flipping between scenes in the valley of humiliation and scenes on the mountains of spices. However, this time through I found it really resonated with me, in the way I need to "come away" with the King every day, in order to "go out" into the world from that place of Love. It has stirred my heart afresh to share the Good News about God's Love with all I come into contact with.
Amy Litzelman
Jan 07, 2011 Amy Litzelman rated it it was amazing
As a continuation of "Hind's Feet on High Places," "Mountain of Spices" is an amazing allegory that takes the reader from the dismal hardships and difficult relationships of the valley up into the Mountains with the Beloved. Lessons of God's Kingdom are learned through each step, each trial, each gift and Suffering and Sorrow are transformed into Grace and Glory. I love Hannah's books because they speak Truth from a place of experience and love. This one is no different.
Marcie
Apr 05, 2010 Marcie rated it it was amazing
The obvious outcome of the love of God's word is obedience. Fruit of the Spirit is the product of an obedient life. It is living out of the new name He has given us. If we would frequently remind ourselves by renewing our minds daily in His word, our lives would overflow with lasting fruit that all would benefit from.
Jasmin
Jul 26, 2010 Jasmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this sequel to 'Hind's Feet on High Places', the Shepherd teaches Grace and Glory lessons bases on the fruit of the Spirit to enable her to live in freedom and to reach out to those in darkness around her.
This book was a timely re-read for me as it revealed some of my own heart attitudes and taught lessons to overcome.
Angela Menton
Mar 11, 2014 Angela Menton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Mountain of Spices

This book tells all of the things that make up who we are. It shows what we need to do to restore our bad feelings back to what God had intended us to be and to do to love and be his witnesses. He has always had only good for us. We just have to learn from him how to find the good and then we receive his love and reward.
Spring
Feb 05, 2008 Spring rated it liked it
Not NEARLY as good as the first one (Hinds Feet), but still nice, and a continuation of the allegory. The Hinds Feet was a great story loaded with meaning. This one is full of meaning forced into a story. Know what I mean?
Anita Dix-McLaughlin
Dec 06, 2011 Anita Dix-McLaughlin rated it it was amazing
Once you read one of this authors books, you will seek out more. Mountain of Spices brings back the much loved characters of "Hinds Feet on High Places," taking you further into this beautiful world.
Cheryl Zelenka
Nov 16, 2013 Cheryl Zelenka rated it really liked it
Fans of Hinds Feet in High Places will really enjoy this book. Again, the wisdom of God is on every page of Ms. Hurnard's book, Mountains of Spices. Analogies will ring true to hearts and new understanding will not only comfort but instruct.
Diana
May 09, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing
I loved Hinds Feet on High Places, but mountain of spices spoke to me personally. It definitely is deep reading and truly makes you think. All of Hannah Hurnard's books have been that way to me. She has some awesome insights.
Stephanie
Jan 18, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Read for the second time - speaks about developing the fruit of the Spirit as we go throughout our lives.
Charlton
Sep 15, 2007 Charlton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Shelves: christian
This is a sequel to Hinds Feet on High Places that I also recommend to everyone. Once again, I think this book relates to everyone know matter where they are in their walk with God.
Ruth
May 31, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing
I read and re-read this allegory of The Fruits of the Holy Spirit. I enjoyed the simple story, and have used it for devotions.
Cheryl
Feb 13, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like allegories
Shelves: 1980-s
Slow in places. It illustrated some good things, like how God gives us the gifts we need as we trust Him. I guess I'm not an allegory person.
Briana
Nov 26, 2008 Briana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming, sweet, lovely...a nice sequel. Definitely a good read after Hinds Feet on High Places.
Cairah
Dec 18, 2007 Cairah rated it it was amazing
This book was better than the first to me because it showed the characters in a more indepth way. We are able to see them walk out their faith and trust in God.
Gretchen
Sep 07, 2013 Gretchen rated it really liked it
I like the allegory, and I actually like this book more than Hinds Feet. If you can get past the names, it's a great read.
Mikkee
Mar 26, 2012 Mikkee rated it really liked it
This is a great companion to Hind's Feet on High Places. Looking at the transformation of Much Afraid and what it means for her going back into the valley.
Samantha
Mar 17, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Sequel to "Hinds Feet on High Places" - just a little more meaty (kind of). I usually pick this up the instant I finish Hinds Feet every year or so.
Elizabeth
Jun 08, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Another amazing book! I personally liked Hind's Feet better, but this one had some passages that really struck me.
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • The Song
  • Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2)
  • Not Good If Detached
  • Intimate Friendship with God: Through Understanding the Fear of the Lord
  • Sonnet to a Dead Contessa (Lady Trent Mystery #3)
  • The Marquis' Secret
  • The Father Heart of God: God Loves You, Learn to Know His Compassionate Touch
  • The Divine Romance
  • C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer
  • Blessing Your Spirit
  • Don't Take any Wooden Nickels (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #2)
  • Parenting by God's Promises: How to Raise Children in the Covenant of Grace
  • Titus: A Comrade of the Cross
  • If
  • That Incredible Christian
  • Wrestling Prayer: A Passionate Communion with God
Hanna Hurnard was a twentieth century Christian author, best known for her allegory Hinds' Feet on High Places.
Hurnard was born in 1905 in Colchester, England to Quaker parents. She graduated from Ridgelands Bible College of Great Britain in 1926. In 1932 she became an independent missionary, moving to Haifa, Israel. Her work in Israel lasted 50 years, although she would later maintain a home in E
More about Hannah Hurnard...

High Places (2 books)
  • Hinds' Feet on High Places

“There is absolutely no experience, however terrible, or heartbreaking, or unjust, or cruel, or evil, which you can meet in the course of your earthly life, that can harm you if you but let Me teach you how to accept it with joy; and to react to it triumphantly as I did myself, with love and forgiveness and with willingness to bear the results of wrong done by others. Every trial, every test, every difficulty and seemingly wrong experience through which you may have to pass, is only another opportunity granted to you of conquering an evil thing and bringing out of it something to the lasting praise and glory of God.” 15 likes
“The least temptation thou hast met. He knows thy blemishes and how To purge away the dross, Not overlong will he allow The anguish of thy cross. Love is the Judge, and he doth see The surest way to perfect thee. Thou can’st not perish if thou wilt But turn thee to the light, Love bleeds with thee in all thy guilt And waits to set thee right. Love means to save sin’s outcasts lost, And cares not at what awful cost.” 1 likes