Start by marking “Act of Betrayal (Britt Montero, #4)” as Want to Read:
Act of Betrayal (Britt Montero, #4)

Act of Betrayal (Britt Montero #4)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  361 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In a fourth Britt Montero mystery set against a backdrop of one of Miami's most terrifying hurricanes, Britt finds clues to the Cuban killer who had betrayed her father. Reprint. NYT. "
Published July 1st 1997 by Voice (first published 1996)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo

3.5 Stars

A gadfly to some in the Cuban Exile Community, Miami reporter Alex Aguirre is killed by a car bomb. Police reporter, Britt Montero is the first one to scene. As she files her report a blonde man walks in carrying a folder and Britt thinks oh oh here comes a crazy fanatic. But MacDonald brings her a story that she can't walk away from: his 13 year old son, Charles, has been missing for four years and the police may never have investigated. Too old and not a pretty young girl for national
LJ
ACT OF BETRAYAL - VG
Buchanan, Edna - 4th in Britt Montero series

A fatal bomb blast propels Britt Montero into the story of her life, as deadly secrets and betrayals from the past sweep into Miami on the winds of a killer storm.

More serious than some of the others in the series. The hurricane adds good suspense.
G.G.
Mar 14, 2015 G.G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miami. Bold, sizzling and dangerous. Police reporter Britt Montero is front and center when it comes to danger in this breathless slam-bam thriller from author Edna Buchanan.

It was no surprise when Alex Aguirre's life was extinguished in a car bombing outside his employer WTOP-TV. His outspoken commentaries put him in disfavor with Castro, Miami's high-ranking politicians, The Miami News, the Mafia, CIA, even the U.S. President. Perhaps most menacing is Juan Carlos Reyes, a rich and powerful ant
Kara Jorges
Dec 18, 2012 Kara Jorges rated it liked it
Britt Montero is a half-Cuban newspaper reporter living in Miami. Britt claims to resent too much being made of her Cuban heritage, but focuses on little else, and the other half of her heritage doesn't even rate mention. While Britt is onto a big story about missing boys who all look alike and tries to devote her time to gathering information for it, her personal life and Cuban roots keep getting in the way. She finally decides to take the time to delve into the mysteries of her own past when a ...more
Kay
Nov 27, 2014 Kay rated it it was amazing
The best in an interesting series. Note: There is one small spoiler at the end. Fans or newcomers will find the backstory of Britt's Cuban family fascinating and moving. I have often wished that Edna Buchanan would bring in more regarding Britt's colorful family. Everything in this novel is Buchanan at her best. Top off the story with the storm of the century, and well it just doesn't get any better.

As usual, Miami dazzles, thrills and scares the pants off the reader.
Ed
Jul 27, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#4 in the Britt Montero series.

Britt Montero, Miami newspaper reporter, is drawn into the Miami sub-culture of Cuban intrigue and hopes to obtain the diary of her father, executed by Castro. As she bounces between two opposing factions, she is also trying to trace the fate of missing look-alike young teens over the last few years. All this as a monster hurricane looms.
Pat
Oct 15, 2014 Pat rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Hurricane and exiled Cuban freedom fighters and 12 year old blond boys missing.
Britt finds out near end about her father through his diary.
Yves Lefevre
Aug 08, 2015 Yves Lefevre rated it it was amazing
Great!
A very good double plot (and several sub-plots). Always keeping the reader. A little less convincing on character building.
Cathy
Feb 26, 2015 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is, "If you like strong female characters, you will like this series about Miami newspaper reporter Britt Montero!
Mike Calhoon
Jan 01, 2015 Mike Calhoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buchanan-edna
Good story all the way through
Gramy
Oct 31, 2013 Gramy rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the ‘Britt Montero’ mysteries. Britt is the heroine, who is an extremely dedicated reporter covering the police beat for her Miami newspaper. This type she is involved in reporting a Cuban murder, mysteries surrounding her Cuban father, missing boys all about the same age, and a prominent Cuban Exile leader who dangles truths about her past just out of her reach. The content and characters were inspiring light reading and kept interested enough to continue on with the ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Aug 29, 2013 Linda Branham Greenwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime, 2013
I really liked this book - exactly what I was in the mood for! But I can't say it was one of the "best" books I've ever read
It is a mystery based in Miami - with the heroine (Britt Montero) a newspaper reporter on the police beat. The mystery is coupled with cuban politics and a hurricane. Britt is half Cuban herself - her father was killed in the beginnings of the Castro takeover, so there is a story of her past woven into the ongoing news stories of the day
Very nicely written
Larry A. Hovick
Feb 28, 2016 Larry A. Hovick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. I enjoy the characters

Really enjoyed will continue reading the series
I like her style passionate characters and the details she gives the reader of the culture of Miami
Ruth
Apr 16, 2009 Ruth rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries, series
Linda Munro
Jan 24, 2011 Linda Munro rated it it was amazing
Did you ever wonder why we sometimes don't see what lies right before our very eyes? Yet another exploit in reporter Britt Montero's life has her missing the obvious, until it is nearly too late even for her. Written by Pulitzer Prize winning reporter, Edna Buchanan, this book makes me wonder how often we blind ourselves to the obvious, or worse, ignore the facts rather than becoming involved.
Tiffeny
Dec 13, 2011 Tiffeny rated it really liked it
Loved this book. I totally got into it and was thrilled to realize that it's part of a series based on the same character, Britt Montero. I've already gotten the 1st book in the series from the library and will be tackling it right after Christmas. I hope the rest of her books are as good.
Brenda Benoit
Jul 27, 2015 Brenda Benoit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this was my favorite book of the series so far. Love the Britt/Kendall MacDonald relationship even though it seems to be very off and on. Really enjoyed the interaction Britt had with her landlord's grandson. Great book!
Book Concierge

WOW ... Although I suspected (view spoiler) I didn't expect the ending. A little too neatly wrapped up, but Buchanan is a first-rate story-teller.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I read quite a few in the Britt Montero series years ago, and liked them a lot. Can't remember details of this one, too long ago and I didn't write notes.
Joe O'c
Aug 26, 2009 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Britt Montero; reporter learns about her revolutionary father while tracking a story
Richard Wahlstrom
Nov 22, 2013 Richard Wahlstrom rated it really liked it
I "read" the audio book. The story is good but the narrator is fabulous. A terrific listening experience.
Barbara B.
Aug 21, 2010 Barbara B. rated it really liked it
I just love the Britt Montero character! Many thanks to Debbie for turning me on to this author.
Joann
Apr 15, 2011 Joann rated it liked it
I love Floridian authors and stories as I live in Florida. This author is always interesting.
Jackie Simons
Read 3/98
Barbara A Courtot
Barbara A Courtot rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Jewett
Jewett rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Joe Del
Joe Del marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Leah
Leah added it
Apr 18, 2016
  • Everglades Assault
  • Tropical Heat (Fred Carver, #1)
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Out of Time (Casey Jones Mysteries #2)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • Decision at Delphi
  • Shark River
  • A Dismal Thing to Do
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
  • Full Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #2)
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)
  • Heart's Desire (Hallie Palmer, #2)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Eye of Vengeance
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • The Lamorna Wink (Richard Jury, #16)
  • Dead Ex
Edna Buchanan knew she wanted to be a writer since she was 4 years old. She moved to Florida where she got a job at a small newspaper. Ms. Buchanan became a reporter for the Miami Beach Daily Sun in the late 1960s.

In 1970, she was hired as a general assignment and police-beat reporter at the Miami Herald. In 1973, Ms. Buchanan became a police beat reporter, which coincided with the rise of Miami
More about Edna Buchanan...

Britt Montero (10 books)
  • Contents Under Pressure (Britt Montero, #1)
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • Suitable for Framing (Britt Montero, #3)
  • Margin of Error (Britt Montero, #5)
  • Garden of Evil (Britt Montero, #6)
  • You Only Die Twice
  • The Ice Maiden (Britt Montero, #8)
  • Love Kills (Craig Burch, #3)
  • Dead Man's Daughter