Start by marking “Shadows (Craig Burch, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadows (Craig Burch, #2)

Shadows (Craig Burch #2)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  330 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews

"The wide front door hung open, a seductive invitation to a dark interior veiled by dust motes that glittered in the spectral greenish glow..."

The Shadows is a historic 1920s house that inspires preservationists' dreams -- and developers' schemes. Built during Prohibition by a notorious rumrummer who vanished at sea, it was inherited by his son, a local athlete and war h

Published May 1st 2006 by Pocket Books (first published June 21st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows

Book Concierge
Audio book narrated by Robertson Dean
4****

The Shadows is an historic 1920s house originally owned by a notorious rum runner. It’s been empty since the last owner, a successful man with an excellent reputation, was killed there. His murder has never been solved and is all but forgotten. Now the family has sold the property to a developer, but an enterprising young preservationist pleads with the Cold Case Squad to try to stop the demolition because it would be destroying evidence. They agree to t
Maddy
Sep 01, 2013 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2005-reads
RATING: 4.0
PROTAGONIST: Cold Case Squad
SETTING: Miami, Florida
SERIES: #2 of 2

How much urgency can there be to solving a murder that is more than 40 years old? In the case of Pierce Nolan, who was murdered at his home in Miami in 1961, quite a lot. That home, "Shadows" is in a prime development area and is about to be bulldozed to make way for condominiums and homes for the la-di-dah crowd. And Kiki Courtelis, local preservationist, is convinced that there is evidence in that home that will solve
Susan Rowald
Jan 30, 2014 Susan Rowald rated it really liked it
I usually can't stand to read series books out of sequence, but I broke my rule and read this one. It was a quick read and kept my interest through out. It stood alone very well.
Now I'll be looking for other "Cold Case" books. I enjoyed this one! :)
Ed
Jul 21, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 of the Cold Case Squad novels. These novels are an offshoot of author Buchanan's Britt Montero series about a Miami crime reporter.

The Cold Case Squad is prevailed upon to search The Shadows, an historic mansion facing demolition, for clues to the 45 year old murder of an ex-mayor. The underlying agenda is to halt the demolition, but that becomes a moot point when the squad finds a trunk of mummified infants in the basement.
LJ
SHADOWS (Police Procedural-Miami-Cont) – VG
Buchanan, Edna – 2nd of series
Simon & Schuster, 2005-Hardcover
A Miami historian and preservationist demands the Cold Case Squad stop a developer from tearing down Shadows, an old mansion where a murder occurred in the 1950's. When they go out to take pictures and walk the estate, the last thing they thought they'd find were bodies. In the meantime, Detective Sam Stone parents were murdered when he was three, and never solved.
*** Buchanan, a Pulitze
Franny
Apr 13, 2016 Franny rated it liked it
Edna Buchanan has many mysteries to her credit, and "Shadows" has a strong plot and a good collection of characters. On the down side, the author uses dialogue to impart some of the backstory and research, which comes across as lecturing (much of it irrelevant to the plot).
Brenda Benoit
Apr 19, 2016 Brenda Benoit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the characters from the Cold Case Squad when they were first introduced in the Britt Montero series. Now that I'm two books into the Cold Case series, I just love these guys - even Lt. Riley has grown on me even though she has never been a favorite from Britt's series. The descriptions of the Shadows made me wish I was there and could see it - it was easy to imagine what it must have looked like in its heyday. Stone's relationship with his grandmother made me smile so much and his reacti ...more
Shannon
Jun 26, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
This series moves along quick - I really like the characters and while Buchanan ran two completely separate cases side by side they were both resolved. The story of Sam's parents' murder could've actually been a whole book in itself and I would have loved to read the story from the civil rights period through to today when the case is solved. That was the only bit that was short changed. Buchanan also has a great way of writing up a character in a few short sentences and you quickly get a feel f ...more
Rebekkila
I listened to this on cd. I loved her Britt Montero (the most soap opera name ev-ah) series. The cold case squad books are pretty good too. They have a larger cast of characters so it is good to start from the beginning. One of the more hard boiled detective's wife starts a bit of an interest in Fengshui very funny stuff. The main story is of a murder that occured in 1961 being re-opened and the bodies of seven newborn babies that are discovered in the course of the investigation. Not her bestbu ...more
Sally Techitong
Feb 20, 2012 Sally Techitong rated it really liked it
I couldn't wait to continue the next installment of Buchanan's cold-case squad series. It did not disappoint, and I was fascinated by the history lessons incorporating the civil rights movement, including race discrimination and the abortion divide, which are unfortunately, still matters of extreme conflict today. Buchanan's characters are well-fleshed out, with credible background histories, and tantalizing future stories that make me want to absorb myself more in this particular series!
Nancy
Oct 06, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
Good story about a cold-case murder that occurred in a historic house in Miami. A developer is planning to demolish the house to build million-dollar homes and a preservationist who knows the social history of the house brings the police in as a last resort to help save the house. When the detectives visit the long-abandoned house, they discover a heartbreaking new mystery.
Joy
Sep 11, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Fast paced and direct, always keeps you guessing. I guess it wasn't as intense as the the first Edna Buchanan book I read. I found the story interesting and intriguing, and the way it was written got me hooked. There are all sorts of law enforcers out there and this is one of those true-to-life stories of good and bad cops. A definite page-turner.
Dave
Aug 10, 2008 Dave rated it really liked it
This is one of the authors that is an exception to my avoidance of female authors. Great story. The cold case squad is called in to investigate a 40 year old murder. While going throught the house the discover a trunk full of bones. Couple that with another detective who is looking for the murderers of his parents makes for an exciting book.
Athena
Dec 24, 2009 Athena rated it liked it
Another book I randomly picked off the mystery shelf at the local library. Overall a good mystery with a few twists and turns. This book is one in a series of books on cold cases that take place in Florida. I haven't read any others in the series, but would be willing to read more from this author.
Gramy
Dec 10, 2013 Gramy rated it it was amazing
This was another riveting mystery that compels you to read from cover to cover. It included a 40 year old cold case murder and an investigation to a 12 year old murder of Stone's parents. I really enjoy the development of the characters. I wish there were more in this series!

Mary Sue
Dec 19, 2007 Mary Sue rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
This is set in one of my favorite cities, hot, quirky Miami. A police cold case squad works on two cases one involving a famous/infamous person and the other the parent of a squad memeber. Both cases held my interest and had plausible but unexpected conclusions.
Nancy
Apr 01, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
A cold case mystery that begins when a developer wants to raze an historic estate in Florida and a preservationist attempts to stop him. Upon touring the old house, a discovery in the basement puts the building project on hold indefinitely.
Joe O'c
Aug 26, 2009 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing characters: Cold Case Squad; team works two cases, the murder of a socialite who had the bodies of seven mummified babies in the cellar, and the death of parents of one of the squad members.
Barbara B.
Jun 22, 2011 Barbara B. rated it liked it
Normally, Edna Buchanan follows her character---Britt Montero---a Miami news reporter. But this one is #2 in a series with the Miami Police Dept. and the cold case division. A fast, enjoyable, good story.
Barbara Button
May 28, 2010 Barbara Button rated it liked it
I liked this one for it's attempt to place some of the story in a different time. I like the way Edna runs sub-plots throughout that are easy to keep track of and keep the action at a quick pace.
Vicki
Nov 15, 2010 Vicki rated it it was ok
Schmaltzy. Weak and shallow characters. Not the worst book I've ever read, but at least I didn't feel like stabbing my eyes out after I finished it.
Jane
Feb 12, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Really liked this book, couldn't put it down at one stage and will definitely be reading more of hers.
Tiffeny
Jun 11, 2012 Tiffeny rated it really liked it
A solid 4 stars. Shadows is probably my favorite of the Edna Buchanan books I've read so far.
Deidre
Nov 04, 2009 Deidre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
Good writing - I prefer the Britt Montero series but Buchanan is a crisp writer no matter what
Ginny
Feb 25, 2009 Ginny rated it really liked it
Part of her series on cold cases. This one was fascinating and quick moving.
Lori
Very good, reading out of order, but you can catch up quickly.
Patti Barber
Apr 25, 2009 Patti Barber rated it liked it
easy beach read .... nothing that you have to think about :)
Kathy Spiteri
Nov 20, 2013 Kathy Spiteri rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I usually can figure it out before the end; but not with this book!
Chris
Oct 17, 2010 Chris rated it it was ok
Not enough character development but kept you guessing.
Lynn Kearney
Mar 27, 2010 Lynn Kearney rated it liked it
Read this a week ago and it left little impression on me.
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Out of Sight
  • Everglades Assault
  • Eye of Vengeance
  • Deep Sea Dead (Pauline Sokol, #4)
  • The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)
  • Hell or High Water
  • Last Call (Jack Swyteck, #7)
  • A Walk in the Darkness (Ben Kamal and Danielle Barnea, #3)
  • Not Comin' Home to You
  • The Debt Collector (Sonora Blair, Book 4)
  • Cut and Run (CSI: Miami, Book 7)
  • Masterpieces of Murder
  • Ghosts (87th Precinct #34)
  • Wreckers' Key (Seychelle Sullivan, #4)
  • Into the Fire
  • Patterns of Murder: Crewel World / Framed in Lace / A Stitch in Time
  • Four Corners of Night
Edna Buchanan knew she wanted to be a writer since she was 4 years old. She moved to Florida where she got a job at a small newspaper. Ms. Buchanan became a reporter for the Miami Beach Daily Sun in the late 1960s.

In 1970, she was hired as a general assignment and police-beat reporter at the Miami Herald. In 1973, Ms. Buchanan became a police beat reporter, which coincided with the rise of Miami
More about Edna Buchanan...

Craig Burch (3 books)
  • Cold Case Squad (Craig Burch, #1)
  • Love Kills (Craig Burch, #3)

“Notify the uniformed lieutenant in that sector. If the crime scene tape has been taken down, put it back up. Arrest anybody who violates the scene, including that son of a bitch Edelman.” “Wonder how he likes having his exciting new condo project renamed the ‘House of Horrors.’ How ya think it’ll affect pre-construction sales?” Corso chortled. The phones continued to ring nonstop. “Take that file into the conference room,” Burch told Nazario, “and study it till you know chapter and verse. We’re gonna” 0 likes