Start by marking “The Cat in the Hat (Beginner Book and Cassette Library/1-Audio Cassette)” as Want to Read:
The Cat in the Hat (Beginner Book and Cassette Library/1-Audio Cassette)

The Cat in the Hat (Beginner Books B-1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  298,380 Ratings  ·  3,718 Reviews
Gorgeously foil-stamped, clothbound, and featuring an elegant slipcase, this edition of the classic story that made reading so much fun--even on a rainy day--is certain to become a collector's item. Full color.
Published October 12th 1987 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 12th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat in the Hat, please sign up.

Karan warn children about walking cat people from outer space

Nataliya
Mar 30, 2012 Nataliya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror afficionados
This "kids' book" is, in my opinion, a nightmare-quality horror story. Why, you ask? What's scary about a funny-looking cat? *shudder* Well, what's so scary about these cute things?

description
(Well, there actually is nothing scary about that last one. That still doesn't make it any less of a nightmare.)

Sometimes I have nightmares where everything goes wrong, but I am helpless to do anything about it. What's worse, the voice of reason is gone. Well, that pretty much sums up the plot of this book. As a hor
Valerie
Mar 05, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I like that at the end of this book, when the mother comes home and the text reads:

Should we tell her about it?
Now, what SHOULD we do?
Well...
What would YOU do
If your mother asked YOU?

My daughter always looks up at me and says: I would tell you.

But I don't believe her. I think it's quite possible that the Cat in the Hat has already been here, and she's just telling me what I want to hear.
Lyn
Apr 29, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What else can be said of this all time children's classic except that it is as enjoyable to read as an adult?

I have three boys, two grown now, and all three have listened to me read this to them and perhaps there was a while when I could have read it in my sleep (and may have!) If you ever go to Universal Studios theme park in Orlando, check out the Cat in the Hat ride. Good times!

description
Stacey is Sassy
Jul 31, 2015 Stacey is Sassy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Loved this one and I passed my love on to my sons. Unfortunately as they got older they enjoyed the movie more.
Willow
Aug 16, 2013 Willow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
****

This book has always given me the impression that Dr. Seuss is a master mischief maker. He has this smarmy Cat barge his way into these poor kid's house (when their mother isn’t home) and then he proceeds to make a colossal mess. It’s all very distressing.

In fact, as a child, I don’t think I found this book amusing at all. It preyed on all my worst fears like being ‘home alone,’ having pushy strangers take control, and scary ‘clown-like’ accessories like monster hats. I much preferred Suess
Ronyell
Mar 18, 2012 Ronyell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children ages 3 and up
“The Cat in the Hat” was one of Dr. Seuss’ most popular children’s books ever created. The book featured the stove pipe hat feline troublemaker who tries to show two bored kids how to have fun on a rainy day with disastrous results. The Cat in the Hat has forever remained to be one of the most popular figures in children’s literature ever!

Dr. Seuss’ superb rhyming text is as creative as it is funny. He easily finds the perfect rhyming of each word while telling a story through his rhymes. Dr. Se
Sandi
Nov 16, 2008 Sandi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really can't stand this book. It's one of those my son had me read over and over when he was little. Seriously, what kind of mother leaves her young children home alone? Who is this cat? Why is he such a troublemaker? Is it okay that they do all that rotten stuff just because it all gets cleaned up before mom gets home? What kind of trouble will this brother and sister be getting into in their teens. This is a very disturbing book.
Anne
Feb 20, 2016 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-kid-in-me
Well what would you do if your mother asked you?

ME WHILE READING THIS

ME AFTER READING

I swear I don't know why this made me laugh so freaking hard. I really don't. I mean the story was funny, the rhyming so fun, but it didn't warrant my hysterical outbursts. But I'm not surprised, I always find myself laughing inappropriately. For example;
MY FRIEND SWEARS THE THINGS RYAN SAYS IN THESE GIFS ARE EITHER CUTE OR HOT. PHILLIPE FROM CRUEL INTENTIONS IS HOT

ME

OH STAHP.

I'm seriously starting to th
Justine Arndt
Sep 30, 2012 Justine Arndt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend The Cat in the Hat to anybody. Dr. Seuss wrote this book like poetry by having the lines rhyme with each other. The story of the book is don't trust strangers; in this case the cat with the hat. The cat brings a box to children at home while their mother is gone, and the cat ends up causing chaos with thing one an thing two. It can teach children a good lesson on how to be responsible when their parents are not around. The pictures in the book make it very enjoyable to read. I ...more
Traveller
Jan 16, 2015 Traveller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha, I know that adding this book is cheating. But I just read a very funny review by a friend, which reminded me how much the kids and I enjoyed the movie of this. Even more fun than Horton Hears a Who. The latter is the highest Dr Seuss on my list, though, for its philosophical point of view.

Personally I found the movie-Grinch rather scary. So, folks, if any of you find The Cat in the Hat scary at all, make a wide berth around watching The Grinch. He is sure to give you nightmares.
Stephen
Aug 15, 2010 Stephen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
3.5 stars. My favorite Dr. Seuss book as a kid. I was very happy to be able to read this out loud with my five year old daughter and have her love it as much as I did.
Ashley Cooper
Jul 15, 2008 Ashley Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. Bit of a complicated plot, but the pictures help.
Francois Jabbour
Now the book starts off with a single mother and her two kids. Immediately, we realise the mother is single as there is no mention of a father. Perhaps the father is dead? Maybe they divorced? Either way, that's no excuse for the mother to be running off during a dark and stormy night (the perfect setting for some freaky horror movie) to go out with her gals and get her drink on.

Anyways, the mother leaves the kids alone, at home. We can assume they are both under the age of 10. They have no adul
Michael
Aug 18, 2007 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-ages
A treasured memory from childhood, I bought many Dr. Seuss books to read to my children when they were small.
I discovered a surprising thing; I thought that I was well read and a literate adult..., reading these books out aloud requires great concentration and voice control (especially with a critical kid listening). However clever you may think you are, reading these books out aloud will improve your public speaking and help you to win friends and influence people :-)
Go ahead, have some fun and
Tamara
“I know some good games we could play,” Said the cat.

“I know some new tricks,” Said the Cat in the Hat.

“A lot of good tricks.

I will show them to you.

Your mother will not mind at all if I do.”
One rainy day, two bored kids, one absent parent, one party-pooper talking fish, and the indispensable ingredient—an extra-large cat. Buckle your seatbelts.

Verdict: The story was 'ok' but I kinda liked the way this was written. A lot. And the illustrations were really gorgeous. A great book for
Eddy Allen
Apr 18, 2012 Eddy Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. The film version really didn't do it justice, as they failed to identify the underlying sociopolitical themes in this work. The "cat" is really Communist Russia, invading the "house" (western civilization) and attempting to impose "fun" (Communism). When the "cat" makes a mess of things, he brings in some complex contraption (the space program? This is open to interpretation) to clean the house up and keep the children happy, while also subtly implying that the children in ...more
Manny
Aug 11, 2015 Manny marked it as not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Oh goody! The Amazon recommendation engine, which has now compiled an uncannily detailed map of all my reading preferences, has noticed that I like both children's books and books in French. It just mailed me to ask whether I had read The Cat in the Hat/Le Chat au Chapeau (Beginner Book).

Not only have I not read it, I didn't even know it existed! And turning to the relevant page, I find other interesting articles, like Eric Carle's La Chenille Qui Fait Des Trous and Easy French Storybook: Goldi
Lucie
Jan 12, 2008 Lucie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I recall this book caused me much stress as a child - much like the kittens who come in and wreck the doll house in the Sesame Street short film. However, as an adult reading it to my own kids, they were never shaken by the mess - they were interested in how the kids would manage to pull off the whole debacle.
Lisa
May 06, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Another favorite in my household. :D
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 15, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tots and former tots who remember the thrill of getting away with stuff
People like to berate The Cat in the Hat for what it's not. It's not beautifully illustrated, like The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley or Beatrix Potter's The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit. Nor is it lyrical like Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown, Miss Bianca by Margery Sharp or Charlotte's Web by E.B. White.

But, along with Dr. Seuss' One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, it was one of the very first books I ever owned or read. My Cuban parents didn't read English -- not then -- an
Prashant
Feb 06, 2012 Prashant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am 24 and I still had fun reading Dr.Seuss for the first time. Is it that cuckoo? I don't know but I loved it :)
We all have a child hidden in us. Some of us like to flaunt it and get it called cuteness and some are called immature. I am among those who like to put their guards down once in a while to enjoy the innocence and straight forwardness of the simpler times.
The book is the story of two kids who being alone at home are visited by a cat in the hat. The cat plays games with them and crea
Marty :}
Jan 06, 2016 Marty :} rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this one feels like childhood and happiness.
Solon
Oct 28, 2007 Solon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very thrilling novel that delves deep into the lives of headdressed cats. While it is not an easy read by any means, it is well worth the seven months it has taken me to get through it. Upon finishing it, I now must say the world is a different place to me. That's right, this book changed my life.
Esmoi
As a kid this book always made me anxious. The house gets completely messed up, the cat is emotionally manipulative, and the moral of the story seems to be that it's okay for people to do crazy shit to you (and ignore your repeated pleas for them to stop) so long as they eventually knock it off and clean up the mess. After all, it was all in the spirit of good fun, right?

Even as an adult, I find this book a dark and uncomfortable read. The children are smiling in the end (and I think Seuss himse
Angie
I love this cat! Oh, the fun you can have with simple words!
Amina
Oct 30, 2015 Amina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the first time, I enjoyed the movie more than the book!!
midnightfaerie
We love Dr. Seuss, but this isn't one of their favorite Seuss's if they had to choose, instead going for the Grinch or Horton before pulling this one off the shelf. However, it's still a Seuss, with the same old lovable rhyming and colorful illustrations, it's still one we've read several times. We jokingly refer to my 3 yr old twins as Thing 1 and Thing 2 and might even dress them up for Halloween that way. A great addition to any collection.
Cheryl
Mar 05, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book demonstrates that a limited vocabulary doesn't mean that the story must be dull (Look, Jane, Look!). I also love the very transgressive Cat. Much like Bugs Bunny, the Cat is well-meaning (mostly) but full of jokes and tricks.

What disturbs me are the many reviewers who seem terribly concerned by the lack of supervision (it's a fantasy, folks!). In most classic children's literature, parents and other adults seem to be absent for one reason or another and children get to have adventures
Nancy Simioni
Apr 17, 2013 Nancy Simioni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great fun-to-read book that gets all children interested in reading.
Did I read it a lot to my son? Oh yes, over and over and over again.
Although that was 20+ years ago I can still recite the first few pages:
"The sun did not shine it was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house all that cold cold wet day.
I sat there with Sally, we sat there we two,
and I said how I wished we had something to do.
Too wet to go out, too cold to play ball,
so we sat in the house and did nothing at all.
Al
Andrew
Jan 20, 2010 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Summary: This is a great story about a brother and sister home alone on a rainy day with nothing to do. These children just sit starring out the window at the rain when suddenly a tall cat in a hat comes barging in the house. The cat in the hat tries to create some fun and excitement for these children which soon leads to disaster. This is a great book for children.

Written By Dr. Seuss

Audience: Grades K-4

Genre: Picture Book

Social Issues: I believe that one issue that arises in this book is that
Children 1 1 Apr 26, 2016 08:57PM
Poetry 1 6 Mar 09, 2016 08:58PM
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Truth
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • Fifteen Animals!
  • Do You Want to Be My Friend?
  • The Night Before Christmas
More about Dr. Seuss...

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Are You My Mother?
  • A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Bennett Cerf's Book of Riddles (Beginner Books)
  • Animal Riddles
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • My Book About Me by ME Myself
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • A Fly Went by
  • The Big Jump and Other Stories

“Look at me!
Look at me!
Look at me NOW!
It is fun to have fun
But you have to know how.”
1145 likes
“I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny.” 520 likes