American Literature, Vol. 2: Realism to the Present

American Literature, Vol. 2: Realism to the Present

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  4 reviews
For courses in American Literary Survey. This leading, two-volume anthology represents America's literary heritage from the colonial times of William Bradford and Anne Bradstreet to the contemporary era of Saul Bellow and Alice Walker. This anthology is best known for its solid headnotes and introductions as well as a balance approach to selections.
Published October 31st 2003 by Prentice Hall (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about American Literature, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Literature, Vol. 2

Ana Mardoll
American Literature, Vol. 2 / 0-13-083815-2

This anthology completely reversed the long-standing impression formed in my childhood that American literature is intrinsically boring. This volume includes hundreds of wonderful examples of superb American literature, particularly and especially from minority voices that I had never before been exposed to. The short stories provided by female and African American authors are absolutely wonderful, and they provide an important contrast to the "traditio...more
Becky
Textbook. Realism to the present. I remember the overview of different movements was good, as I never really saw American Literature as a whole before. I'd like to read more on the topic...someday! At 2223 pages in paperback, this one is VERY hard to handle physically -- won't lay flat, but can't be held up. Oh, to have had e-books in college!
John
Mar 12, 2013 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone into American Literature
I will prolly never read this whole thing. I love having it around though as a sort of outline of American lit. It helps to be able to wrap your head around the movements and how they fit together.
Tony
One of the finest collections of short story, novella, poetry and other American literature forms....I have read and reread and reread this book over the last thirty years....Outstanding!!!
Kaylie
Julie
Julie added it
Aug 20, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Allyariel
Allyariel marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
J K
J K marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Mary Lynn Mason
Mary Lynn Mason marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Jun 24, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Eliza Bentley
Eliza Bentley marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Tarig Omer musa
Tarig Omer musa marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Concise Anthology of American Literature Anthology of American Literature, Volume 1: Colonial through Romantic Selected Poems of Walt Whitman Anthology of American Literature