Start by marking “Greater Than Yourself: The Ultimate Lesson of True Leadership” as Want to Read:
Greater Than Yourself: The Ultimate Lesson of True Leadership

Greater Than Yourself: The Ultimate Lesson of True Leadership

Too many people assume the timeless principles of true leadership—of helping others achieve their full potential—don’t apply Monday through Friday during work hours or in any circumstance where a paycheck is involved.

In GREATER THAN YOURSELF, Steve Farber proves them wrong: in this powerful and inspiring story, Farber shows that the goal of a genuine leader is to help oth
Published March 3rd 2009 by Crown Business (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Greater Than Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greater Than Yourself

Mary Lou
Aug 06, 2013 Mary Lou rated it liked it
Shelves: from-cynthia
I've read few books written in the story format about self-improvement. This is another one. The story is light and interesting and predictable. But the concept is a little different in that it assumes you already have many gifts and talents, and you are going to go find a subject to share them with. You are going to help someone else be "greater than yourself."

As I was reading, I realized that I was almost reading a story about my husband, who has been a top-notch manager in a difficult field.
Donna
Jun 09, 2015 Donna rated it did not like it
I can sum up the bulk of this review with a single question. Have you ever asked someone you didn't know well, how their day was and before a respectable pause could occur after the last word came from your mouth, they were babbling-on, giving you a blow by blow account of their day, down to the snacks they extracted from the vending machines? That is how this felt.

It was also similar to taking a young child to the park and they kept yelling, "Watch this," and "Look at me." Reading this book al
Eve
Jun 27, 2014 Eve rated it it was ok
Overall, I very much enjoy business novels because stories are often the best way to convey wisdom, knowledge, and ideas.

Although I very much liked the philosophy outlined in this book, the characters charged with instructing our doubting every-man Steve, are smug and annoying know-it-alls who love a good reveal.

However if you can get passed the trees to look at the forest, the tenets espoused are good ones built on the steps: 1) Expand yourself 2)Give yourself and 3)Replicate yourself. The ide
Jesse
Jun 17, 2013 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I marked this a nonfiction, though the story itself is actually a work of fiction. And I think that is why I gave it four stars. This is the first book I've read by Farber, and I really enjoyed his style. I found the concepts that he presented in "Greater Than Yourself" to be intriguing and inspiring. I agree with Farber that most humans have a feeling, deep down, to want to help others become more. I was quickly sucked into the idea, and started thinking about who I could work with.

The story is
Cynthia Egbert
Aug 07, 2013 Cynthia Egbert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook-purchase
I realize that some people do not care for books that are "non-fiction" that are written in a parable form, but I really love that approach. That is what Mr. Farber does here and the concept that he is promoting is very much changing my life. Because of who I am and what I believe, I quickly moved from this volume to scripture and other inspirational books in my library and made some beautiful connections. I cannot recommend this highly enough and would love to have a discussion with anyone who ...more
Zane
Jun 13, 2016 Zane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read life changing book

I honestly don't like to read much but I began reading this book on a Saturday morning and I couldn't put it down. If you are looking for a new way of thinking, a new leadership approach, or just a better way to live your life then read this book. it's difficult to find a book that sparks real change. But this one did it for me. I hope it can for you too. ~Patria
Amy Bell
Jul 08, 2011 Amy Bell rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2011
I had to read this for my mentoring program at work. It has some good points about elevating people above yourself with the talents you have. It was wrapped in what seemed to be a fictional narrative. I did like the epilogue where it talked about actually implementing the model.
Janine McBee
Oct 12, 2011 Janine McBee rated it really liked it
Great reminder about what is important in life. Like the reminder/challenge to not only invest in others, but to challenges others to invest in themselves, as well as investing in your personal/professional development.
Dayla
Mar 03, 2013 Dayla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
I loved this book, and the entire challenge that the author pursued. Steve Farber's novel idea that in leadership, it is important to 1) expand oneself; 2) give oneself; and 3)replicate oneself. Good book for any Leadership group. Thank you E D for providing us this book.
Jodi
Sep 14, 2015 Jodi rated it liked it
It's a fine, simple idea. I don't know that it required an entire book to get the point across, but it was a quick, inspirational read.
Jamie
Jun 30, 2010 Jamie rated it liked it
great book about authentic leadership and what it means to grow yourself so that you have more to teach to others...good message.
Sep 11, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Quick Read which gave me some interesting insights into motherhood, even though this is a "business" book.
Carla
Apr 29, 2012 Carla rated it it was amazing
Inspired me beyond belief. Wouldn't the world be greater if everyone sought to make others "greater then themselves?"
Matt Beckwith
Dec 17, 2010 Matt Beckwith rated it really liked it
I am not a fan of parable books. This one, however, I enjoyed. I met Mr. Farber last year and his passion drew me to this book.
Scott Brown
Mar 29, 2016 Scott Brown rated it it was ok
Chapter 25 holds the meat of the story. An average tale of replicating leaders by focusing on excellerating the potential of others.
Michelle Redmond
Michelle Redmond rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Doug Della pietra
Doug Della pietra rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Bec
Bec rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2010
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Jason Cooper
Jason Cooper rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2009
Debra Mariniello
Debra Mariniello rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Aurora
Aurora rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2011
Lilian Aguilar
Lilian Aguilar rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2016
Erockaaa11
Erockaaa11 rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2012
david rodriguez
david rodriguez rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2016
Arfie
Arfie rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Jenn Beard
Jenn Beard rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
J O'Dell
J O'Dell rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Be All You Can Be
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit: The Secrets of Building a Five-Star Customer Service Organization
  • Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • The Time Trap
  • True Professionalism: The Courage to Care About Your People, Your Clients, and Your Career
  • Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want
  • Motivating the Middle: Fighting Apathy in College Student Organizations
  • Kapitan Cook
  • The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • The New How: Creating Business Solutions Through Collaborative Strategy
  • The Mom & Pop Store: True Stories from the Heart of America
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • Integrity Selling for the 21st Century: How to Sell the Way People Want to Buy
  • The Well-Spoken Woman: Your Guide to Looking and Sounding Your Best