Start by marking “Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur” as Want to Read:
Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur

Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,740 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Despite grim headlines about the economy, you DON'T have to stay in a job you intensely hate. There's a better opportunity waiting out there, and escaping from cubicle nation is easier than you think.

Pamela Slim spent a decade traveling all over the country as a self-employed trainer for large corporations. She was surprised to find that many of the most successful employ
Published April 30th 2009 by Portfolio Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Escape from Cubicle Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape from Cubicle Nation

Chad Warner
Mar 13, 2011 Chad Warner rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Have you ever dreamed about quitting your day job to launch a business? Most people have, but almost none of them venture beyond dreaming. When you’re ready to seriously consider your escape from cubicle nation, this is the book for you! I found it both inspirational and practical.

After listening to Pamela Slim’s Escape from Cubicle Nation Podcast for over a year, I decided to read her book. This comprehensive guide to entrepreneurship is an excellent blend of concepts, anecdotes, and instructio
Gina
May 02, 2010 Gina rated it liked it
The life coach that I'm working with recommended this book for me to read. I read the first 5 chapters since those are the ones that have the exercises for you to figure out what floats your boat. The exercises laid out make sense and I believe if you really follow through, you will discover many things about yourself.

One thing I didn't like was the swipes that the author, Pamela Slim, keeps taking at Timothy Ferris, author of The Four-Hour Workweek. Mostly they are snide little snarky barbs wh
Ben
Feb 03, 2016 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Similar in vein to The 4-Hour Workweek in that it describes the process to take to become an entrepreneur. I think Pamela Slim did a better job of extracting what that process is whereas The 4-Hour Workweek told a specific account based on Tim Ferris' own experience of how to start and run a business.
Both of these books seem to focus on internet based businesses, or at least starting on the internet. While I agree that there is more money to be had there, I feel like books that describe this pro
Vivek
Dec 09, 2011 Vivek rated it it was amazing
When people dream of quitting their jobs while banging away at a rock in BigCo they keep searching for information that will help them take the first step.

Unfortunately the most likely kind of information one would find is blog posts online about technology startups. And a lot of them. Also you'd find a long list of books which delved into the "theory" of quitting, the courage it takes and other things of little value.

This book though is different. It has very concrete and practical methods on f
Linda B
Sep 11, 2009 Linda B rated it it was ok
I think this book is better for people who want to become successful consultants or life coaches. I want to open a bookstore, and the bulk of this book focused on:

a. having the guts to quit your job (um, did that months ago)

b. deciding what type of business to open

Also, this really is meant only for corporate workers who are already extremely familiar with business terminology. My background is in Latin American Studies, so I think I need a book that breaks down business basics.

This book is good
Justus
Sep 05, 2010 Justus rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I suspect this may be a book (like Cradle to Cradle) which I read thinking, "hmm not bad..." and five years later think "what the heck did I see in that book?" But that said, since I'm only toying with the idea of starting a firm, I think it was a useful book to get the brain thinking about the issues. Its clearly written, encouraging but not too rah-rah, and a quick read. And yes, its definitely a book geared towards "consultants" and not brick/mortar businesses.

I'll leave it to real entreprene
Lonnie Tapia
Mar 08, 2011 Lonnie Tapia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pam's spirit is infectious. I knew I found a kindred spirit when I met her. And I knew I had to read her book. Reading this book is like sitting by the fire and talking about your dreams and goals - then getting off your ass and doing something about it.

This guide helps the reader create the path they want out of life through a whole lot of open heart dialogue, examples, fantastic resources and a little humor.
Devin
Jul 20, 2009 Devin rated it really liked it
Shelves:
If you work in a cubicle, you already know how bad it is whether you'd like to admit it or not. This book will make you admit it and then have you running and screaming out of the office and permanently far away from ever participating in a corporation ever again while at the same time inspire you to do something better.
Quinn
Nov 02, 2010 Quinn rated it it was ok
My biggest issue with this book is half of it was written by someone else in another book and then quoted by Ms. Slim. If you want to read this book you should just read the following more enjoyable, more informative books:

Good to Great
Freakanomics
4-hour Work Week
How to Win Friends and Influence People
John
Oct 21, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
A great book with a lot of good advise about escaping corporate America. Pam doesn't tell you to go out and quit your day job, she emphasizes starting a side gig or side hustle before making the jump. She gives lots of sound advise and says entrepreneurship is not for everyone. This is a must read in today's economy. When you put all your eggs in one basket in can be taken away in an instant. I've seen it happen to close friends. Corporations don't care, we are all disposable at any time. The bo ...more
Eric
May 30, 2013 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I've been open to the possibility of starting a business for a while now, and even though I don't live in a cubicle or even have a regular day job, I found this to be a good read for anybody dreaming of working for themselves.

If you haven't read anything else on the subject, this is a good introduction. It starts with the dreams and guides you through the planning, development, and execution stages of entrepreneurship.

While its layout makes for a good reference book, it does try a bit too hard
Anita Campbell
Aug 19, 2011 Anita Campbell rated it it was amazing
Pam Slim has written a "survive and thrive" guide for aspiring entrepreneurs still stuck in corporate jobs who are planning to go solo, or who have recently left the corporate world and struck out on their own. It's a roadmap for getting out of a corporate cubicle and into your own startup.

This is a book for people who need to find the courage to go out on their own, or who perhaps have recently found themselves unemployed and need help getting over stumbling blocks such as convincing family tha
Victoria
Escape from Cubicle Nation was my second audiobook experience. After having a great first experience with audiobooks, I was excited to listen to another and what I sadly found out the second time around was that not all books can make the successful leap to audio. Pamela Slim offered great advice in her book; however, the narration of it came off as dry and redundant. Sandra Burr, the narrator, often states when a "slash" or "parentheses" were used which can get annoying. Also, depending on wher ...more
Eryc
Jul 27, 2014 Eryc rated it liked it
Good general content, but not a lot of new ideas on the subject. I find Acuff more helpful am entertaining. However, I was listening to the audiobook and my impression might be influenced by the fact that I really disliked the narrator.
Slavo Ingilizov
Jul 06, 2010 Slavo Ingilizov rated it liked it
Although the book is tailored for people who are afraid to make the leap and launch something of their own, it is basically another business book. You would not be disappointed and there is some good stuff inside, but nothing phenomenal.

Something that Pamela Slim wrote about untouched by other authors I've read so far is the personal issues and psychological dilemmas one encounters when starting a venture, not just the business side of the equation. There's also a very good chapter on branding.

T
Annakingston
May 03, 2012 Annakingston rated it really liked it
Shelves: life-balance
Pamela Slim confronts the ideaof fear in leaving your job head on in the first paragraph and gives you practical ways to overcome it. I think this is the step that many books leave out (or spend too much time on).

Just like Goldilocks & the 3 bears, Pam gets her book just right.I particularlyloved the point that when you’re doing something you’re forcing yourself to do, your energy depletes but when you’re doing something you love, you’re renewing your energy at the same time as working – wha
Renee
Oct 07, 2015 Renee rated it really liked it
Great take on steps from going to a corporate job to life as an entrepreneur. Would have been great to read this before I made the leap! But better late than never :-)
Steve
Apr 08, 2013 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I was scoring this book on the first three chapters, I might deliver this book a Five Star rating. I wanted to read a book focused on the challenge of helping a corporate employee escape from work as a "prisoner." The beginning of the book was excellent. Unfortunately, the most of this book is dedicated to helping someone launch a new business. Many other people have written on this subject, and done this better.

Some of the discussion that was very helpful in this book is understanding the br
Cath Duncan
Mar 30, 2010 Cath Duncan rated it it was amazing
Pam does a great job of covering both the inspirational stuff and the practical side of helping people to escape their cubicles and start their own businesses.

I particularly liked:
- Her tools and ideas for managing fear as an entrepreneur.
- Her "just do it" and tweak from there/ prioritise action and real-world feedback over written analysis.

You can get the Bottom-line on Escape From Cubicle Nation, along with my interview with the author, Pam Slim, over at The Bottom-line Bookclub:
Steven Veach
Nov 13, 2011 Steven Veach rated it liked it
I would recommend this book for anyone who is taking their first exit into self-employment. For someone who has been doing it for awhile, or has done any research on it [or even if you have read a few books on entrepreneurship], this book will seem a little basic. There were a few good references I picked up from it, a couple book references and I have subsequently acquired those additional titles and will be reading them in the future. It's really just the same basic information in a slick pack ...more
Ignas
Dec 04, 2013 Ignas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, inspiration
Probably the best book I have read on this topic. Really inspiring and also full of practical advices. There are some chapters which are not very interesting or valuable (personally), but the one which are interesting - are really great. Good writing style, easy to read, sane amount of humor used.

I liked a lot that author shares personal experience and that she knows the things not from theory, but from her own life and consulting career (practice).

Enjoyed, marked interesting places, will come b
Tim
Apr 14, 2016 Tim rated it liked it
Great book for people who want to become entrepreneurs but don't know where to begin.
Mary Kruft
Feb 15, 2012 Mary Kruft rated it liked it
So far this book is fabulous. The author really makes you consider your entire professional career & think about whether you are the "corporate" type & if you're truly ready to venture out on your own. I find myself "highlighting" almost the entire book on the Kindle:) The author's 10 points she'd love to share with every CEO alone are worth reading this book - for workers of ALL levels:)
You always wonder when you buy books like this if there is truly something of substance you'll take a
Caroline Cameron
Sep 05, 2012 Caroline Cameron rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, career
What I liked most about this book is that Pamela Sim tells it like it is! With insight, humour, research and experience she explains both the up and downsides of quitting your day job to follow your passion and make a living from it.

Whilst highlighting the opportunities and potential pitfalls, she provides a great resource with helpful tools to know what to look out for and what to do.

As an executive career and lifestyle coach I'll certainly be recommending Cubicle Nation to many of my clients w
Jarkko Laine
Aug 16, 2009 Jarkko Laine rated it liked it
Escape from Cubicle Nation is a solid, experience-based take on starting on your own by moving from employee to entrepreneur. There are many books like this out there, but if you're unsure of what to do, this is a good book to read, sort of the real thing (= in this book, you won't find an easy formula for success, which is good as one doesn't really exist).

For me, this book made it clear that I know enough about the topic (in theory), what I need to do next is to really try the things out and p
Nick
Jul 15, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing
If you're thinking about quitting cubicle hell to become an entrepreneur, this is the book for you. There are many books on starting your own business, but this is the only one I've seen that talks about the emotional side of things as well as the practical side. How do you deal with the fear of being on your own, out of the putative safety of the corporate world? What do you say to your family? Your friends? Pamela has a way of answering these sorts of questions that is engaging, thoughtful, an ...more
Heather
Oct 08, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
I found this book to be pretty helpful - it discusses some of the ins and outs of leaving the corporate world (and accurately describes some of the common frustrations/issues people may have in the corporate world).

It's definitely a high level book (you won't find step by step plans for doing anything concrete), but I found myself generating so many ideas while reading it that I'm definitely going to go through some of the sections again, and document some of the things the author recommends.
Lu
Jan 11, 2010 Lu rated it liked it
This book was great at addressing my inner fears about leaving the 'track' and taking a chance on starting a business. She cover all the 'what ifs' and 'what abouts' that I had, like a mind reader. But bottom line, she couldn't get me to make the move. I'm still chugging down the train track like all my cubicle ("shared office") colleagues. However, in all honesty, I probably need something outside of a book to make me jump from the train, like a giant hand coming down from the sky and one giant ...more
Josh
Jun 09, 2015 Josh rated it liked it
Alright. Now what?
What and how to make a plan is here. The why is answered.
Tessa Sainz
Mar 11, 2014 Tessa Sainz rated it liked it
It was ok. Some good things to think about for my business, even though I've already made the leap.
Cleanse Your Body, Change Your Life 1 2 Jun 23, 2015 09:29PM
Quick Weight Loss Program 1 2 May 13, 2015 09:48PM
The Ultimate Way to Burn Fat and Keep Slim 1 2 Feb 26, 2014 08:15PM
Know How To Look For Perfect Slim Fit Jeans 1 3 Feb 19, 2014 07:53PM
Slimming Pills V Diet And Exercise 1 1 Feb 12, 2014 08:51PM
WHAT KIND OF RASPBERRY KETONE THIN 1 1 Jan 30, 2014 08:13PM
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Go It Alone!: The Secret to Building a Successful Business on Your Own