Start by marking “We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land: A Plan That Will Work” as Want to Read:
We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land: A Plan That Will Work

We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land: A Plan That Will Work

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  261 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
In this urgent, balanced, and passionate book, Nobel Peace Laureate and former President Jimmy Carter argues that the present moment is a unique time for achieving peace in the Middle East -- and he offers a bold and comprehensive plan to do just that. President Carter has been a student of the biblical Holy Land all his life. For the last three decades, as president of th ...more
Published January 20th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land

Todd
Feb 19, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing
Cogent insider account of the many roadblocks (literally in Israel's case) to a peaceful settlement of the Israeli occupation of Palestine. First hand account culled from President Carter's own diaries and conversations with all the major players over the years. While the histroy is great, I was struck by "the urgency of now" in the thoughtful and specific plan to address both sides' greivances presented in the final chapter-
a must read!
Joe Robles
Jun 12, 2011 Joe Robles rated it really liked it
This is another great introduction to the Palestinian/Israeli conflict. The first several chapters revisit the ground covered by Peace not Apartheid, but the sections dealing with the later years of the Bush Administration are particularly enlightening. I originally picked up both these books because of the uproar that was created when Obama mentioned the pre-1967 borders, which I now think is funny, because after reading both these books (and their supporting documents) it seems that has always ...more
Paul
Aug 06, 2011 Paul rated it liked it
An excellent effort about an extremely difficult topic, Carter's book goes a long way to presenting a thorough look about a conflict that receives little to no legitimate dialog in the American political discourse. Unfairly tarred in the past as an anti-semite for having the gall to present a balanced account of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Carter continues his efforts to examining the roadblocks to a comprehensive and lasting peace in the region. Reading his book leaves one pleased to have ...more
Aliya
May 26, 2016 Aliya rated it really liked it
I was not versed with the real situation in Israel, except for the slightest inkling about major events such as the Balfour Declaration, the time of the creation of an Israeli state, the Arab Israeli wars, Ariel Sharon, Yasir Arafat and his PLO. The Palestinian struggle was rooted in mystery with conflicting versions of villains and heroes from the print and electronic media.

This book in merely 182 pages demystified 60 years of complicated Holy Land history. Carter's writing prowess is commendab
Diana Blair
Mar 19, 2009 Diana Blair rated it liked it
I love Jimmy Carter.. and I love his confidence that we can have peace in the Middle East. It's not that I don't believe HIM; it's that I doubt that the residents of the Holy Land will allow peace... This book is full of history and proposals, sometimes much too like a diary to see the possibilities of a new order in that area of the world. It's still worth reading.
Rachel
Jul 10, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
"You cannot make Swiss cheese out of a country and expect peace"! I read this book 2 years ago during the Floatilla disaster and it is so informative and well written. I still remember the writing in detail. A great book for those seeking understanding of Israel and the Mid East politics. Carter is a great man and humanitarian.
Matt
Feb 14, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it
A Fine addition to carter's previous book. The interestig thing about this book is that Carter spends a great deal of time laying out the specifics of his peace plan.

He remains optimistic about Peace in the holy land, which many people no longer do. I hope his optimisim is correct, but fear it may be a hope that is fading.
Mike
Jan 14, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it

Easy read for a big-topic book. Not as strong willed or opinionated as previous book on the subject, for good or bad, not sure which way to go on that issue. His hopeful perspective is refreshing and one wonders if in the next few years we will see some of his suggestions acted upon.
David
Aug 25, 2014 David rated it really liked it
An excellent analysis of why the 'peace process' has not succeeded for decades, and how they could be surmounted if one side did not have 100% of the power. I wonder if we will ever see a resolution to this age old conflict in my lifetime.
Vicki
Mar 21, 2009 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Superb book, with a well thought out and workable plan for peace in countries in the middle east, primarily Israel and Palestine. My new favorite charity is the Carter Center for Peace in Atlanta. They are doing astonishing work around the world.
Jeannie
Got this book from my son for my birthday. It is amazing that Jimmy Carter has been working on peace ever since before he was president and has come so close but hasn't been quite successful but never gives up. A truely good person.
Sam Motes
Mar 30, 2015 Sam Motes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated at times but the passion of Carter to find a solution advantageous to booth sides of the conflict comes through loud and clear.
Toni Chanakas
Feb 11, 2013 Toni Chanakas rated it really liked it
This is a difficult subject. I commend President Carter for writing this in such a way that is understandable in what is going on.
Maher Hussain
Apr 06, 2013 Maher Hussain rated it it was amazing
This Book Contain a very clear Ideas about the peace.
we can see alot of great Ideas and Suggestions show that the peace is possible .
Labarry
Apr 28, 2009 Labarry rated it really liked it
I just got this book signed tonight at Left Bank Books by President Jimmy Carter. It was amazing to meet him.
Steve
Jul 26, 2011 Steve rated it liked it
I guess I expected more from this book than what I got. Mr. Carter's biggest success in the White House was the Camp David Accords with Begin and Sadat in 1978 and since his departure from the White House, Mr. Carter has been an advocate of peace efforts in the Middle East -- especially between Israel, the PLO and factions of the PLO.

What you get for a majority of the book is a history of his independent and Carter Center efforts in what seems to be a never-ending saga of conflict that has been
jordan
Mar 17, 2009 jordan rated it did not like it
Having decided to make a habit of authoring books with misleading titles, the peripatetic former President Carter now offers readers his latest thin work, “We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land.” I say misleading not because of any specifics of former President Carter’s plan – he like anybody else is entitled to his opinion – but because he does not begin to offer it until page 159, which given that the work comes in at a slender 182 pages of original text, might make the discerning reader wonder w ...more
Trish
Feb 28, 2009 Trish added it
Shelves: nonfiction, mideast
Jimmy Carter is going to talk about peace in the Middle East until he dies. He is leaving books for us to use as a road map after he dies. But he'd rather we pay attention now because the situation for Palestinians is unbearable.

I am one who just didn't want to know about it. The conflict has gone on too long, and although on the face of it, it didn't seem fair that Palestinians had to move off land they'd lived on for generations, better minds than mine had made this solution. Or so I thought.

W
Sharon
Mar 09, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it
Nobel laureate and former president Jimmy Carter provides an inside look at the politics of the Israeli and Palestinian states. Carter takes a hard look at Israel's policy of settlement and encroachment into Palestinian land -- an approach for which he has been decried in US media, but one that is crucial to consider when looking at the faltering peace process.

Carter details his involvement in the peace process, starting when he was governor of Georgia and made his first visit to Israel. Carryin
James Hansee
Apr 06, 2015 James Hansee rated it liked it
The book is more of a summary of Carter's work in seeking peace in the Holy Land rather than a firm plan for it. He does a good job of articulating the various issues involved and summarizing what has been done in the past. This issue requires a lot of committed leadership from all sides involved.
Maureen
Oct 15, 2009 Maureen rated it it was amazing
If the peacemakers are blest, then President Carter is a truly blessed man. He has spent more than thirty years cultivating relationships in the Holy Land with key members of all of the political and religious groups. Over time, he has developed a plan for bringing peace to one of the most embattled areas on the planet.

Carter wrote this book to urge President Obama to push for peace in the middle east. The former president's voice is both authoritative and persuasive. When so much of the news f
Roxanne
Oct 10, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
This book is written 3 years after his first book on the subject. He still in 2009 thinks these sides can work out their problems. It is so complicated and goes back so far I feel hope is over for an accord to be reached.
Peter Owens
Aug 03, 2014 Peter Owens rated it really liked it
Some same material as "Peace, not Apartheid," but he goes more in depth into possible solutions and the obstacles to those solutions. An important read for having appropriate empathy for both Palestinian and Israeli.
Estevan Alvarado
I finally finhised the book. I struggle listening to this audio book. This one is book that the printed copy would have been better to read. The audio book reference many appendices and maps that were supposed to be on the audio disk but were not there.

I relisten to several tracks to comprehend to what the author was saying. The author does make a couple suggestions towards the end, which might work but will be difficult to achieve because both sides are not willing to compromised in my opinion.
John Willis
Loved the insight into the history and political backgrounds of the middle east. The knowledge that Carter has of the middle east and the Holy and is inspiring.
Sven
Feb 03, 2011 Sven rated it it was amazing
This is a great overview of the recent history of the Palestine conflict. President Carter describes major initiatives, the hopes and the disappointments, and opportunities to resolve one of the longest running international problems. He ends with concrete ideas for bring peace to this region.

An interesting footnote: Appendices include several documents of great interest: UN Resolution 242, the Camp David Accords, the 2002 Arab Peace Proposal, key points of the Roadmap for Peace (2003), and Isra
Fredrick Danysh
Dec 21, 2015 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Former President Carter mixes the history of the Middle East with biblical references. Little is said of the violent Islamic conquest of the region in the Palestine region and their war against Judaism and Christianity starting ing the seventh century. The work comes across as very pro-Arab but is still a read for anyone trying to understand the conflicts of the Palestine.
Katie
Jul 27, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
I read this book maybe a year after I read Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid, and I was somewhat disappointed with this newest book. While it was informative and provided a good perspective on the Isreal-Palestine conflict, I felt like Carter was definitely toning it down after upsetting people with his perspective in Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid. It seemed like he was definitely less critical of Israel and trying to appeal to a larger base of people, which may be smart but perhaps is less honest ...more
Diane
Jun 05, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
Clear statement of history of the region and its peoples, simplified enough to be comprehended by the interested citizen of any country. Lays out the one-state solution as inevitable if Israeli settlements in the West Bank continue and are not dismantled, and the two-state solution as the preferred alternative which will require hard choices by Israelis. No solution is not an option. Carter is clear and hopeful that the parties are close to a meaningful agreement/peace solution.
Shonan_naminori
May 30, 2011 Shonan_naminori rated it liked it
It feels as if the first half or 3/4s involve President Carter giving his own personal account of the going-ons in Israel and the West Bank/Gaza. He gets around to his ideas at the very end, but I feel this is written to the casual American who might be clueless about the situation between the Palestinians and Israelis.
  • Understanding the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict: A Primer
  • The Unfinished Presidency: Jimmy Carter's Journey to the Nobel Peace Prize
  • War and Peace in the Middle East: A Concise History, Revised and Updated
  • My First Ladies: Thirty Years as the White House Chief Floral Designer
  • My Sister, Guard Your Veil; My Brother, Guard Your Eyes: Uncensored Iranian Voices
  • The End of the Peace Process: Oslo and After
  • Something's Rising: Appalachians Fighting Mountaintop Removal
  • Rutherford B. Hayes (The American Presidents, #19)
  • Toward a True Kinship of Faiths: How the World's Religions Can Come Together
  • My Happiness Bears No Relation to Happiness
  • The Mighty and the Almighty: Reflections on America, God, and World Affairs
  • The Israel-Arab Reader: A Documentary History of the Middle East Conflict
  • Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush
  • The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy
  • Soldier: The Life of Colin Powell
  • On God's Side: What Religion Forgets and Politics Hasn't Learned about Serving the Common Good
  • The Invention of the Jewish People
  • Little Pink House: A True Story of Defiance and Courage

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter
More about Jimmy Carter...