We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land: A Plan That Will Work

We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land: A Plan That Will Work

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  31 reviews
In this urgent, balanced, and passionate book, Nobel Peace Laureate and former President Jimmy Carter argues that the present moment is a unique time for achieving peace in the Middle East -- and he offers a bold and comprehensive plan to do just that. President Carter has been a student of the biblical Holy Land all his life. For the last three decades, as president of th...more
Published January 20th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land

Todd
Cogent insider account of the many roadblocks (literally in Israel's case) to a peaceful settlement of the Israeli occupation of Palestine. First hand account culled from President Carter's own diaries and conversations with all the major players over the years. While the histroy is great, I was struck by "the urgency of now" in the thoughtful and specific plan to address both sides' greivances presented in the final chapter-
a must read!
Joe Robles
This is another great introduction to the Palestinian/Israeli conflict. The first several chapters revisit the ground covered by Peace not Apartheid, but the sections dealing with the later years of the Bush Administration are particularly enlightening. I originally picked up both these books because of the uproar that was created when Obama mentioned the pre-1967 borders, which I now think is funny, because after reading both these books (and their supporting documents) it seems that has always...more
Paul
An excellent effort about an extremely difficult topic, Carter's book goes a long way to presenting a thorough look about a conflict that receives little to no legitimate dialog in the American political discourse. Unfairly tarred in the past as an anti-semite for having the gall to present a balanced account of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Carter continues his efforts to examining the roadblocks to a comprehensive and lasting peace in the region. Reading his book leaves one pleased to have...more
Matt
A Fine addition to carter's previous book. The interestig thing about this book is that Carter spends a great deal of time laying out the specifics of his peace plan.

He remains optimistic about Peace in the holy land, which many people no longer do. I hope his optimisim is correct, but fear it may be a hope that is fading.
Steve
I guess I expected more from this book than what I got. Mr. Carter's biggest success in the White House was the Camp David Accords with Begin and Sadat in 1978 and since his departure from the White House, Mr. Carter has been an advocate of peace efforts in the Middle East -- especially between Israel, the PLO and factions of the PLO.

What you get for a majority of the book is a history of his independent and Carter Center efforts in what seems to be a never-ending saga of conflict that has been...more
Aliya
I was not versed with the real situation in Israel, except for the slightest inkling about major events such as the Balfour Declaration, the time of the creation of an Israeli state, the Arab Israeli wars, Ariel Sharon, Yasir Arafat and his PLO. The Palestinian struggle was rooted in mystery with conflicting versions of villains and heroes from the print and electronic media.

This book in merely 182 pages demystified 60 years of complicated Holy Land history. Carter's writing prowess is commendab...more
jordan
Having decided to make a habit of authoring books with misleading titles, the peripatetic former President Carter now offers readers his latest thin work, “We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land.” I say misleading not because of any specifics of former President Carter’s plan – he like anybody else is entitled to his opinion – but because he does not begin to offer it until page 159, which given that the work comes in at a slender 182 pages of original text, might make the discerning reader wonder w...more
Trish
Feb 28, 2009 Trish added it
Shelves: nonfiction, mideast
Jimmy Carter is going to talk about peace in the Middle East until he dies. He is leaving books for us to use as a road map after he dies. But he'd rather we pay attention now because the situation for Palestinians is unbearable.

I am one who just didn't want to know about it. The conflict has gone on too long, and although on the face of it, it didn't seem fair that Palestinians had to move off land they'd lived on for generations, better minds than mine had made this solution. Or so I thought.

W...more
Sharon
Nobel laureate and former president Jimmy Carter provides an inside look at the politics of the Israeli and Palestinian states. Carter takes a hard look at Israel's policy of settlement and encroachment into Palestinian land -- an approach for which he has been decried in US media, but one that is crucial to consider when looking at the faltering peace process.

Carter details his involvement in the peace process, starting when he was governor of Georgia and made his first visit to Israel. Carryin...more
Maureen
If the peacemakers are blest, then President Carter is a truly blessed man. He has spent more than thirty years cultivating relationships in the Holy Land with key members of all of the political and religious groups. Over time, he has developed a plan for bringing peace to one of the most embattled areas on the planet.

Carter wrote this book to urge President Obama to push for peace in the middle east. The former president's voice is both authoritative and persuasive. When so much of the news f...more
Peter Owens
Some same material as "Peace, not Apartheid," but he goes more in depth into possible solutions and the obstacles to those solutions. An important read for having appropriate empathy for both Palestinian and Israeli.
Estevan Alvarado
I finally finhised the book. I struggle listening to this audio book. This one is book that the printed copy would have been better to read. The audio book reference many appendices and maps that were supposed to be on the audio disk but were not there.

I relisten to several tracks to comprehend to what the author was saying. The author does make a couple suggestions towards the end, which might work but will be difficult to achieve because both sides are not willing to compromised in my opinion....more
Sven
This is a great overview of the recent history of the Palestine conflict. President Carter describes major initiatives, the hopes and the disappointments, and opportunities to resolve one of the longest running international problems. He ends with concrete ideas for bring peace to this region.

An interesting footnote: Appendices include several documents of great interest: UN Resolution 242, the Camp David Accords, the 2002 Arab Peace Proposal, key points of the Roadmap for Peace (2003), and Isra...more
Katie
I read this book maybe a year after I read Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid, and I was somewhat disappointed with this newest book. While it was informative and provided a good perspective on the Isreal-Palestine conflict, I felt like Carter was definitely toning it down after upsetting people with his perspective in Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid. It seemed like he was definitely less critical of Israel and trying to appeal to a larger base of people, which may be smart but perhaps is less honest...more
Diane
Clear statement of history of the region and its peoples, simplified enough to be comprehended by the interested citizen of any country. Lays out the one-state solution as inevitable if Israeli settlements in the West Bank continue and are not dismantled, and the two-state solution as the preferred alternative which will require hard choices by Israelis. No solution is not an option. Carter is clear and hopeful that the parties are close to a meaningful agreement/peace solution.
Diana Blair
I love Jimmy Carter.. and I love his confidence that we can have peace in the Middle East. It's not that I don't believe HIM; it's that I doubt that the residents of the Holy Land will allow peace... This book is full of history and proposals, sometimes much too like a diary to see the possibilities of a new order in that area of the world. It's still worth reading.
Rachel
"You cannot make Swiss cheese out of a country and expect peace"! I read this book 2 years ago during the Floatilla disaster and it is so informative and well written. I still remember the writing in detail. A great book for those seeking understanding of Israel and the Mid East politics. Carter is a great man and humanitarian.
Shonan_naminori
It feels as if the first half or 3/4s involve President Carter giving his own personal account of the going-ons in Israel and the West Bank/Gaza. He gets around to his ideas at the very end, but I feel this is written to the casual American who might be clueless about the situation between the Palestinians and Israelis.
Wes Young
Not breaking a lot of new ground here; by that I mean it is roughly the same book as 'Palestine Peace not Apartheid' with the exception of revisiting the last few years since that book and including more about his talks with various Middle East countries during his presidency and a few other random tangents.
Mike

Easy read for a big-topic book. Not as strong willed or opinionated as previous book on the subject, for good or bad, not sure which way to go on that issue. His hopeful perspective is refreshing and one wonders if in the next few years we will see some of his suggestions acted upon.
Abby
2.5 stars really. It was a fine survey of the conflict and its development over the years but I wanted more detail, more depth of analysis or personal experience. It also left me more frustrated than hopeful about the possibility of peace in the Holy Land.
David
An excellent analysis of why the 'peace process' has not succeeded for decades, and how they could be surmounted if one side did not have 100% of the power. I wonder if we will ever see a resolution to this age old conflict in my lifetime.
Vicki
Superb book, with a well thought out and workable plan for peace in countries in the middle east, primarily Israel and Palestine. My new favorite charity is the Carter Center for Peace in Atlanta. They are doing astonishing work around the world.
Jeannie
Got this book from my son for my birthday. It is amazing that Jimmy Carter has been working on peace ever since before he was president and has come so close but hasn't been quite successful but never gives up. A truely good person.
Toni Chanakas
This is a difficult subject. I commend President Carter for writing this in such a way that is understandable in what is going on.
Maher Hussain
This Book Contain a very clear Ideas about the peace.
we can see alot of great Ideas and Suggestions show that the peace is possible .
Labarry
I just got this book signed tonight at Left Bank Books by President Jimmy Carter. It was amazing to meet him.
Ann
Excellent insights. Guardedly hopeful.
DJ
May 20, 2009 DJ added it
Couldn't get through it.
Kirk Bower
Very quick read.
  • The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy
  • My Sister, Guard Your Veil; My Brother, Guard Your Eyes: Uncensored Iranian Voices
  • Toward a True Kinship of Faiths: How the World's Religions Can Come Together
  • The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World
  • The Mighty and the Almighty: Reflections on America, God, and World Affairs
  • Soldier: The Life of Colin Powell
  • Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush
  • The Moneychangers
  • Whatever Happened to Justice?
  • On God's Side: What Religion Forgets and Politics Hasn't Learned about Serving the Common Good
  • Tea with Hezbollah: Sitting at the Enemies Table Our Journey Through the Middle East
  • Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes
  • Listening In: The Secret White House Recordings of John F. Kennedy
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • Wealth and Democracy: A Political History of the American Rich
  • The Gamble: General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008
  • Little Pink House: A True Story of Defiance and Courage
  • House of War: The Pentagon and the Disastrous Rise of American Power
James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter created two new cabinet-level departments: the Department of Energy and the Department of...more
More about Jimmy Carter...
Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid An Hour Before Daylight: Memoirs of a Rural Boyhood A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power The Hornet's Nest