Start by marking “When It Was Our War: A Soldier's Wife in World War II” as Want to Read:
When It Was Our War: A Soldier's Wife in World War II

When It Was Our War: A Soldier's Wife in World War II

The untold story of a soldier's wife on the home front. Only nineteen when America enters WWII, Stella Suberman follows her husband from air base to air base -- from Miami to California, Arizona to Kansas -- and gives us a vivid picture of America and its people with a novelistic sense of scene and character.
Hardcover, Large Print, 413 pages
Published January 12th 2003 by Thorndike Press

To ask other readers questions about When It Was Our War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When It Was Our War

Mary
Jun 22, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok
A detailed and informative look at the WWII home front, from the perspective of a pilot’s wife. The content was well written and the insight into prejudices of the time was very enlightening.
However, I was not expecting certain narratives of an adult nature, which I found at times, much too detailed, while contributing little to the impact of the story. Also, for me, the first third of the book dragged somewhat. A very informative read, especially for an accurate account of life on the homefront
Jecripps
Jan 18, 2016 Jecripps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved a lot of this memoir of a young Southern gal, her bomber-pilot groom, and what it felt like to be an American Jew during WWII. I'm anxious to read Suberman's first book, The Jew Store.
Emma
May 29, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it
That was such a sweet story. <3
Susan Jones
Aug 28, 2009 Susan Jones rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Having lived in TN my entire life and having grandparent who owned a department store in West Tn, I can relate to many of the scenes Mrs. Suberman describes. I love WWII history, especially homefront and she has remembered in great detail very interesting facts about rationing coupons, trains and boats being taken over by the military, and the expression "If it weren't for the war, the war would suit me just fine."

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in "the great
Holly Metzger
May 04, 2014 Holly Metzger rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It gave me a new look on WWII on the homefront.
Hulananni
Apr 29, 2008 Hulananni rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone in age bracket 40-80 who remembers any of WWII
I learned that although the war (WWII) was a long haul for many....the general public were behind the troops and gave up willingly things that had been taken for granted before it began.

I also learned of the curtain crosssing the problems in Poland and other Jewish ghetto areas that the U.S. sometimes refused to acknowledge.

At the same time I learned of the spirit of those involved.
Diane
Sep 19, 2012 Diane rated it it was ok
Took me a while to read this book - but when I got into it was smooth sailing. Was interesting looking at the beginning of war through a teenagers eyes. Would I say it's a must read - no - but passable.
Linda Stewart
good, so far. It is odd, though, that Suberman changed the name of the characters from the Jew Store, since this book is the sequel to the Jew Store.
Karen
Apr 25, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed her first book The Jew Store-a little more. This does give an interesting look at what WWII was like for those at home.
Kris Siegel
Aug 25, 2012 Kris Siegel rated it really liked it
A picture of what America was like during WWII for Jewish Americans.
Allyson Meadows
Allyson Meadows is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Chanel
Chanel marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Gaye Ingram
Gaye Ingram marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
SueNote
SueNote rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Claudette Kelly
Claudette Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Sheila McIntosh
Sheila McIntosh marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Kimberlee
Kimberlee marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Nicole Pearce-rummel
Nicole Pearce-rummel marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Nancy Ortciger
Nancy Ortciger rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Elizabeth Reiss
Elizabeth Reiss rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Kathleen Francart
Kathleen Francart rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Sheila Hughes
Sheila Hughes rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016