Start by marking “When It Was Our War: A Soldier's Wife in World War II” as Want to Read:
When It Was Our War: A Soldier's Wife in World War II

When It Was Our War: A Soldier's Wife in World War II

The untold story of a soldier's wife on the home front. Only nineteen when America enters WWII, Stella Suberman follows her husband from air base to air base -- from Miami to California, Arizona to Kansas -- and gives us a vivid picture of America and its people with a novelistic sense of scene and character.
Hardcover, Large Print, 413 pages
Published January 12th 2003 by Thorndike Press

To ask other readers questions about When It Was Our War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When It Was Our War

Mary
Jun 22, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok
A detailed and informative look at the WWII home front, from the perspective of a pilot’s wife. The content was well written and the insight into prejudices of the time was very enlightening.
However, I was not expecting certain narratives of an adult nature, which I found at times, much too detailed, while contributing little to the impact of the story. Also, for me, the first third of the book dragged somewhat. A very informative read, especially for an accurate account of life on the homefront
Susan Jones
Aug 28, 2009 Susan Jones rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Having lived in TN my entire life and having grandparent who owned a department store in West Tn, I can relate to many of the scenes Mrs. Suberman describes. I love WWII history, especially homefront and she has remembered in great detail very interesting facts about rationing coupons, trains and boats being taken over by the military, and the expression "If it weren't for the war, the war would suit me just fine."

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in "the great
Hulananni
Apr 29, 2008 Hulananni rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone in age bracket 40-80 who remembers any of WWII
I learned that although the war (WWII) was a long haul for many....the general public were behind the troops and gave up willingly things that had been taken for granted before it began.

I also learned of the curtain crosssing the problems in Poland and other Jewish ghetto areas that the U.S. sometimes refused to acknowledge.

At the same time I learned of the spirit of those involved.
Diane
Sep 19, 2012 Diane rated it it was ok
Took me a while to read this book - but when I got into it was smooth sailing. Was interesting looking at the beginning of war through a teenagers eyes. Would I say it's a must read - no - but passable.
Karen
Apr 25, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed her first book The Jew Store-a little more. This does give an interesting look at what WWII was like for those at home.
Linda Stewart
good, so far. It is odd, though, that Suberman changed the name of the characters from the Jew Store, since this book is the sequel to the Jew Store.
Jecripps
Jan 18, 2016 Jecripps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved a lot of this memoir of a young Southern gal, her bomber-pilot groom, and what it felt like to be an American Jew during WWII. I'm anxious to read Suberman's first book, The Jew Store.
Kris Siegel
Aug 25, 2012 Kris Siegel rated it really liked it
A picture of what America was like during WWII for Jewish Americans.
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Jude
Jude rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Howard Cohen
Howard Cohen rated it really liked it
May 28, 2015
Sarah rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2011
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2009
Holly Metzger
May 04, 2014 Holly Metzger rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It gave me a new look on WWII on the homefront.
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Janelle
Janelle rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2010
SueNote
SueNote rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Nancy Ortciger
Nancy Ortciger rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Ally T
Ally T rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2007
Claudia Govoni
Claudia Govoni rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2009
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2007
Allyson Meadows
Allyson Meadows rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2016
Vena
Vena rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2010
Lisa Matheny
Lisa Matheny rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2012