Eye of the Crow: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His 1st Case

Eye of the Crow: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His 1st Case (The Boy Sherlock Holmes #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,109 ratings  ·  162 reviews
Sherlock Holmes, just thirteen, is a misfit. His highborn mother is the daughter of an aristocratic family, his father a poor Jew. Their marriage flouts tradition and makes them social pariahs in the London of the 1860s; and their son, Sherlock, bears the burden of their rebellion. Friendless, bullied at school, he belongs nowhere and has only his wits to help him make his...more
Published May 12th 2009 by Tundra Books (first published August 24th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Eye of the Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye of the Crow

earthy
Dark, somewhat plodding origin mystery for Sherlock Holmes. Introduces several familiar characters and Sherlockian elements. While it's fun to see imaginings about Holmes' past, the mystery itself isn't particularly interesting or original, and it's a bit disturbing that all the truly horrible things in the book happen to women. Probably only worth a read if you're a pretty dedicated Holmes fan. First in a series.
Bito Dang
Đây là cuốn sách đầu tiên sau khoảng 10 năm mình chưa đọc một cuốn trinh thám nào tuy từ nhỏ cuốn nào mình đọc mình cũng đều thấy thích, nhưng lại ngại mua. Tự dưng năm nay nổi hứng muốn thay đổi chút thể loại và làm 2 em trong Series này.
Một cuốn sách tuyệt vời vì mình hoàn toàn 'enjoy' nó.
Sherlock Holmes thì nổi tiếng quá rồi, nhưng thực ra chưa cầm cuốn sách nào của Conan Doyla cả. Nhưng đọc xong cuốn này chắc phải có kế hoạch làm một bộ thôi.
Theo ý kiến cá nhân của một người ít đọc truyện tr...more
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
2 1/2

Fresh on the heels of the Enola Holmes series, I was on something of a kick - so when I came across the notion of a story showing us a boy Sherlock Holmes and how he came to be who he was, I was certainly intrigued.

Unfortunately, I had some major issues with the story.

Now, there were parts of it which were interesting and Peacock seems to have given some serious thought to a background story which could possibly lead the adult Holmes to be how he was.

On the other hand, it read like many a u...more
Ryan G
I've had this one sitting around since late last year and I'm now wishing I had picked it up sooner. This was a fascinating look into the childhood of one of literature's favorite characters. Now granted, this may not be the childhood Sir Arthur Conan Doyle envisioned for Sherlock Holmes, but it worked for me.

This was the story of a lonely, introverted young man who would rather be in a town square observing others than in the school he didn't feel comfortable in. He is highly intelligent but do...more
Treasa
Thirteen-year-old Sherlock Holmes is living a hard life with his poverty-stricken parents in London. Tired of being mocked at school, Sherlock stops attending and instead spends his days on the streets of the city, observing everyone and everything around him. When a murder is committed, Sherlock finds himself suddenly pulled into the case and must find the real murderer before he himself is found guilty of having had a part in the crime.

I love Sherlock Holmes, so I was excited to read this auth...more
Sarah Sammis
I'm not entirely sure when my obsession with Sherlock Holmes began. The Basil Rathbone movies probably came first. The books I started reading in eighth grade. I was on a school field trip and I read through a collection of the short stories on the bus ride there and back. By the end of college my mother introduced me to a new take on Sherlock by Laurie R. King, The Beekeeper's Apprentice which has grown to a twelve book series.

This summer while waiting for book twelve, The Pirate King (review c...more
Billed as the first case of the The Boy Sherlock Holmes, this author does a pretty good job of establishing why Sherlock Holmes becomes what he is. Sherlock's the son of a Jewish professor who can't find work because he married a rich lady above his class. Sherlock is bitter and believes that his education can't get him where he wants to be (rich and important) because he's a half-Jew. So he skips school and practices his observation skills instead. When a lady is murdered in Whitecastle, Sherlo...more
Corrina
Read my full review at wadingthroughbooks.wordpress.com!

It’s definitely written as a modern mystery, even though it’s set in the Victorian era. It doesn’t have the distinct tone of the Conan Doyle stories, even though it does well with the historical details. That said, it works well for this story, being written for children–the more modern, familiar tone makes it a fast and easy read.

Fans of the original Sherlock Holmes will see elements of the great detective scattered through the book, in so...more
KidsFiction Teton County Library
TCL CALL #: J PEACOCK

Young misfit, Sherlock Holmes, frequently skips school to wander the streets, observing those around him and reading about local crimes. Holmes become infatuated with the murder of an actress and can’t keep away, despite the fact that he promised his parents he would reform and go back to school. Unfortunately the boy’s activity at the murder scene is observed and he finds himself implicated in assisting with the act. He manages to break out of jail (with some aid) and begi...more
Andrea Ika
The Boy Sherlock Holmes: Book 1
Eye of the Crow
by Shane Peacock (Author)
Page Count: 264
Awards
Arthur Ellis Award (2008: Juvenile Crime Fiction)
IODE Book Award

Blurb
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Peacock, Shane. Eye of the Crow. Toronto: Tundra, 2007. Print.
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read

Eye of the Crow is the first volume in a series about the boy Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock is a misfit, he has no friends until something horrible happens. A woman is murdered in the middle of the night. The police think they have a suspect, but Sherlock Holmes believes he is innocent. Sherlock decides he must solve the case and restore justice. He does not want to see an innocent man hang fo...more
Zoe
I really wanted to like this, because there is a gap in the Sherlock series about his childhood that I think could be filled, but frankly, this wasn't it.

While the mystery had it's moments, the character of Sherlock seemed to be inconsistent with Conan Doyle's adult creation. Hot-headed, emotional, and at times, careless, this book was more about the making of an emotionally distant man than the emotionally unavailable great intelligence. The character arc seemed incomplete, and we are given no...more
Renee
Dec 08, 2008 Renee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th-8th
Shelves: ya-mystery
Taste the London grit of poverty & murder as you follow the impoverished, brilliant 13-year-old Sherlock Holmes. When a highborn lady is murdered, Holmes becomes entangled in the mystery and must solve it himself or risk dire consequences. But the killer will stop at nothing, including hurting Holmes’ loved ones, to stop Holmes from solving the crime.
Kendall
Excellent, excellent book....well-written and reminiscent of novels of the past. The book could be written for an adult audience--very engaging and entertaining. A bit of humor thrown in here and there...but very illuminating about what Sherlock Holmes might have been like as a child...Great story. Highly recommend for grades six and up!
Patty
I had low expectations for this book since my husband had said it was only OK, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's from the Juvenile section of our library, and the mystery is somewhat simplistic but entertaining. Not quite up to the level of the Young Sherlock Holmes movie but worth a read nonetheless.
Sandy
Provides background to Sherlock Holmes life as a young boy offering scenarios and situations that would explain Holmes' personality traits and skills. Great plot and setting. Give this to an older 5 grader and up as a mystery or as a historical fiction hook.
Amanda
This is a very different, much weaker, much angrier, much more insecure Sherlock Holmes than I'm used to. But then, everyone is at thirteen, and Sherlock is no exception. Shane Peacock deftly builds a realistic childhood for a well-known character, tracing the threads backwards from hints in Conan Doyle's stories so that each piece, even the uncomfortable ones, seem to click into place. This is a book for older children or young adults, so the mystery is not overly complex (though surprisingly d...more
Jodysegal
I join the legions of fans of this new series. Peacock brings to life the grit, gore and bigotry of Victorian England and he creates an entirely believable young Sherlock Holmes. Read this to find out his origins.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
I only picked this up as an "I'm-a-librarian-and-I-need-some-more-boy-mystery-recommendations" read, but I really enjoyed it. It believably lays the groundwork for the man that Sherlock becomes.
Shellmc
This author writes in the same style of the Sherlock Holmes author...excellent descriptions that explain much of why the adult Master Holmes is, well, the way he is!
Anne
Great story about how it all started for Sherlock Holmes - at the age of 13 when he is accused of conspiracy in a murder.
Melanie
Young Sherlock Holmes is only 13-years-old when he solves his first crime. And it's a doozy!

Holmes' family is poor and struggling. Even though they scrounge enough money to send Holmes to school, he won't go. He prefers roaming the streets and doing what he wants. Which is how he learns of the murder of a well-dressed lady in the back alley of a bad neighborhood. Holmes becomes even more curious when a young Arab man is arrested and imprisoned for the crime.

The police are convinced that the Arab...more
Alvina

Anda pasti sering mendengar kisah Sherlock Holmes, tapi pernahkah Anda penasaran seperti apa kehidupan Sherlock di masa kecilnya? Jika hal itu pernah terlintas di pikiran Anda, maka buku ini berisi jawabannya.

Sherlock Holmes adalah anak kedua dari tiga bersaudara, dengan orangtua mereka bernama Wilber dan Rose Holmes. Rose sebenarnya adalah seorang Bangsawan Inggris dengan sedikit campuran Prancis, sedangkan Wilber adalah seorang lelaki genius yang sangat menyukai ilmu tentang burung. Dua sejoli...more
Truly

Selesai membaca buku ini, tanpa sengaja saya menghubungkan beberapa hal dengan buku-buku seputar Sherlock yang lain. Beberapa hal terlihat sangat jelas benang merahnya. Sekedar dugaan saya, sosok musuh bebuyutannya Malefactor mungkin berkembang menjadi Profesor M musuh bebuyutannya saat dewasa. Lalu sosok Irene yang digambarkan menjadi sahabatnya rupanya memberikan kesan yang mendalam dalam diri Sherlock. Dimasa mendatang s...more
Hadi Wijaya
If compare it with Colossal Detective Stories (Agatha Christie's Novel) or Japanese Detective Comic, it is still far under them. Although it's a Legendary Sherlock Holmes story but yet it not too much bring sensation. Probably it's targeted for teenager read.

Here are my comments:

1. There is too much detail like the author is a painter. It's actually good if the described scene is useful for the analysis but they aren't. The book is very thick because of that. That's why I skimming several parts...more
Lady Knight
What an intriguing idea! Take the lore of Sherlock Holmes, stand back and ask: "What would this intriguing man have been like as a boy? Did he have friends? What were his parents like? What made him realize that he was the ultimate detective?"

As an adult, with a least a little knowledge of the Holmes canon, I found the book quite enjoyable (no, I'm not a Doyle purist so I had no problem with some of the changes made). However, most children I don't think will like this book over much. Strong rea...more
Erik Mataloro
Sherlock Holmes!

Siapa yang tak kenal dengan tokoh detektif yang satu ini? Kiprahnya di dunia sastra dan mendobrak kesusastraan Inggris ini menjadi bacaan yang menarik untuk disimak dari generasi ke generasi dan takkan lekang oleh waktu. Tokoh yang diciptakan Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ini telah berhasil merebut hati para pecinta buku di seluruh belahan bumi. Sekalipun aksi klasiknya perlahan tergantikan oleh karya-karya yang lain, namun eksistensinya tetap terasa di pikiran semua penggemarnya.

Namun,...more
Kate
El Templo de las Mil Puertas
"Que Sherlock Holmes es un personaje fascinante e inmortal no lo duda nadie. A pesar de que su autor, Arthur Conan Doyle, nos legó una buena cantidad de aventuras de su inolvidable detective, para sus lectores nunca han parecido ser suficientes, porque se han escrito muchísimos más casos apócrifos desde entonces, y aún hoy sigue habiendo autores que se atreven a tomar el relevo. En los últimos tiempos, además, hemos visto que se han publicado varias nuevas series juveniles centradas en el inmort...more
JoAnn B.
How did Sherlock Holmes get to be the way that he is - analytical and keenly observant, but totally unemotional? This series by Shane Peacock tries to answer that question. Here in book one we find Sherlock living with his impoverished family in London, victims of discrimination because of his father's Jewish religion. No longer willing to put up with being bullied in school, he roams the streets of the city until one day an Arab accused of murder sees Sherlock as he is being led into the jail a...more
  • First Shot
  • The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas  (Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars #1)
  • Death Cloud (Young Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
  • Jolted: Newton Starker's rules for survival
  • The Crazy Man
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Giant-Slayer
  • Neil Flambe and the Marco Polo Murders
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #4)
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • A Perfect Gentle Knight
  • Into the Dark (Echo Falls, #3)
  • The Bone Magician (Tales From The Sinister City, #2)
  • The Ring of Rocamadour (The Red Blazer Girls, #1)
Shane Peacock was born in 1957 in Thunder Bay, Ontario, one of four brothers. He attended school in the northern town of Kapuskasing, before attending university, where he studied history and English literature. A biographer, journalist, and screenwriter, he is also the author of six novels and three plays, and has been nominated for numerous awards including several National Magazine Awards and t...more
More about Shane Peacock...
Death in the Air (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #2) Vanishing Girl (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Dragon Turn (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Secret Fiend (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #4) Becoming Holmes: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His Final Case (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #6)