Start by marking “Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)” as Want to Read:
Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)

Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  22,004 ratings  ·  1,004 reviews
The Plan

Genius physics professor Dr, Jane Darlington desperately wants a baby. But finding a father won't be easy. Jane's super-intelligence made her feel like a freak when she was growing up, and she's determined to spare her own child that suffering. Which means she must find someone very special to father her child. Someone . . . well . . "stupid."

The Target

Cal Bonner,
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 7th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Nobody's Baby But Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody's Baby But Mine

Sweet Dreams by Kristen AshleyThe Gamble by Kristen AshleyLady Luck by Kristen AshleyMotorcycle Man by Kristen AshleyYours Mine Ours by Bridgitte Lesley
Above 30 Romance Heroines
16th out of 139 books — 168 voters
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaTwenties Girl by Sophie KinsellaRemember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
Have You Read This Chick-lit?
178th out of 802 books — 767 voters

More lists with this book...

♥Sharon♥

I am having such a great time reading this series. My first SEP book was Fancy Pants which I really enjoyed but the Chicago Stars Series is quickly becoming my favorite of her books thus far. What I am finding that I enjoy the most is the humor. And I don’t mean just a giggle here and there; I mean laugh out loud humor.

Along with the humor you get a great story line, a sexy and brooding hero and a sweet and beautiful heroine with a backbone. All of the books in this series can be read as a stan
Mimi Smith
1 star

Warning...RANTING AHEAD! Spoilers, too!

First, apologies to all SEP fans and people who liked this book. Usually I don't do reviews of books I don't like but this one annoyed me so much I had to say SOMETHING. And that something probably won't be that coherent, but oh, well.

I read some other books by her and liked them, although I noticed a slightly disturbing pattern-Hero's emotionally immature-heroine falls in love with a hero-hero can't admit he loves her-heroine runs off-hero has an e
Mo
Phillips unites a beautiful, brainy scientist desperate to be a mom with a brawny, smoking hot jock who, though handsome enough to father her child, is nowhere near as stupid as she wants her baby’s daddy to be.

The lovely Karen is reading this series and her updates and reviews have whetted my appetite to do a re-read. Was it as good second time around? Definitely. I loved it.

I loved Janie. I loved Cal. I loved Annie, the adorable Granny.

“Don't mess with me, Calvin. You'll only get hurt.”
Ingela
Written March 31, 2015

4.7 Stars - Another great favorite in the best kind of fun and cozy romance novel by an always delivering "champion writer" in this genre

Another great and entertaining Susan Elizabeth Phillips book. An 11 hours audiobook edition from 1997 and once again narrated by a favorite female narrator, Anna Fields. Recommended by Crystal over a year ago. It was at last time.

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

Happy dancing mood...
One of the best so far in this series. Sooooo much fun. As my, right now kind of SEP bewit
Karen
5 STARS
 photo 3012bdf6e06a0009c15b28e61cbe9f81-2.jpg

I am going to start sounding like a broken record when it comes to Susan Elizabeth Phillips. And here I go again…. I fucking LOVED this book!!!!!!! What a shocker right? Seriously, I canNOT get enough of these fantastic books. Nobody's Baby But Mine is the third book in The Chicago Stars series. Although the books are written so that they can be read as stand alone, I personally recommend reading them in order.

You are not going to want to miss one single moment of any of these books.
Nisha
February 26, 2014

3 years later, this book remains a classic. SEP's characters are still amazing and hilarious. I don't think I need to write another full review.
-----
February 18, 2011

Third times a charm. Maybe this time, I would write a suitable review.

Clearly, I love this book. After reading it every so often (I think, once every 6 months), it has a solid place in my 'Favorites' shelf. What first attracted me to this story? The heroine, Jane. She's one smart cookie, who does one dumb act to get
Gabriella ♥ Liam Callahan's girl ♥
Heart warming..and heart-breaking love story.

LOT of great one liners and hell loads of absolute fun..and of course since its is Miss Susan's after all, uve defiantly got a bit of angst snugged in there...Especially that cookie story,..HOLY SHIT cal's parent's initial relationship defiantly broke my heart
:( *snif*
Anastasia
What a disappointment. Honestly, I don't even know where to begin. Well, first let me start by saying that I despised the underlying plot of a pretentious physicist using a football player without his knowledge to get pregnant.

I honestly despised Jane (the pretentious physicist). What she did was dirty and unforgivable, in my opinion, and yet somehow everyone in the book decides to quickly overlook her wrongdoing. Hardly is there a time while reading a romance book that I actually loathe the wo
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I found the hero Cal a little too harsh for my tastes. He represented what I don't like about pro sports players and that whole macho vibe that they can give off. It was wrong what Jane did to him,however he was in the habit of using women, so in some ways it was his karma coming back on him, in my opinion. My issue is that didn't treat her very well after the fact. I can understand him being angry but I feel he should have treated the woman who was pregnant with his child better than he did. Th ...more
Irina
Audible

That's exactly what I've been missing - a proper romance that makes me hold my breath and turn pages or, in this case, audio minutes. A book that stops the world and time around me and keeps me glued to the story.

I honestly don't remember how many times I've read each book in this series. When I discovered Susan Elizabeth Phillips, I haven't stopped until I read every single one of her works. Then, whenever I needed a 'healing' romance, I went back to her. And it had never failed to help
Dee
I absolutely loved this book - In theory I should have hated it and if this was real life I would as Cal was an ar*ehole a lot of the time, but this is fiction/romance and I loved Jane, her character, her backbone and the witty/funny dialogue between them......I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips! ...more
Yomi Milanesa
This was such a disappointment because it had such an interesting premise. The heroine was a freaking physicists (a GENIUS) and most of the time she acted like she was 5, the same goes for the hero. They also had this weird relationship that I just didn't get (a bit toxic too since they loveeeed to argue). The only reason I'm giving it 3 stars is because the heroine said and did some weird stuff which I found funny.
Heidi Hart
The "Cereal Killer" bit was funny, and that's the only reason I'm giving this two stars instead of one.

I first read this about 10-15 years ago, when I was first starting to read romance. I remembered it fondly, and it's stayed on my "keeper" shelf through more moves than I can count. Rereading it now, though, it's abundantly clear that I'm a much more discriminating reader, and much more in tune with sexual politics than I used to be, because I really didn't like it this time around.

My major i
Twiggy
Another great read.

Dr Jane Darlington wants a baby but decides that she wants the father to be attractive, athletic but not particularly intelligent on the basis that the child would grow up with a happy mix from both parents.

Cal Bonner is the 36 yr old star quarterback with the Chicago stars, who is in denial about the fact that he is getting older and may not be in a position to play for much longer. Our hero has a thing about age and women, and doesn't like to date anyone over 23 years old.
Pınar

Şu an aynen bu ruh halindeyim. Phillips nasıl böyle güzel yazıyor? Kitapları neden bu kadar geç çıkıyor?

Dünden beri bitmesin diye ara vererek okuyorum ama makus talihimi engelleyemedim. Yine, yine çok güzeldi.

Kitabın konusu çıkıp okuduğumda güzel olacağını biliyor ve okumalıyım diye sabırsızlanıyordum. Dahi Jane Darlington ile ondan aşağı kalmayan Cal Bonner'ın komik, sıcak ve seksi hikayesi son satırına kadar kendine bağladı.

Bir önceki kitapta olduğu gibi yine 2 hikayeye yer vermiş yazar. Bir
Simone Elkeles
This is probably my favorite book of Susan's and I've definitely read it multiple times. The premise is actually ridiculous (smart woman wants dumb baby because she was ostracized as a kid for being brilliant so she chooses a "dumb" football player to have sex with/get pregnant). This book is hilariously funny and witty and you just fall in love with the characters. A definite go-to book whenever you want to read one of the best romances of all time.
Beth F.
Ugh, two stars might be generous here.

Lately I’ve turned into a Susan Elizabeth Phillips fan girl (NFL romance novels—squee!) but this book was absolute rubbish. The set up involves Jane Darlington, PhD tricking NFL quarterback Cal Bonner into an unwanted pregnancy which he responds to by forcing her into an unwanted marriage. That is wrong on so many levels, I don’t even know where to begin.

I don’t think casual sex is the way to start a family. Epic fucking fail, Jane. Her logic behind select
Lindsay
I normally really enjoy books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and I love books with athletes as heroes, and this book was no exception for me.

I don't know why I haven't read this before, but I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner.

I enjoyed Cal and Jane's story. Cal was a huge jerk and deserved everything Jane threw at him...and she was very creative. I don't know that I would have thought of some of the stuff she did.

The end wasn't great for me. It felt a little rushed, like the author did
Nadia
Honestly, this book made me uncomfortable more than anything. I can say I loved the middle, when we got to see the dynamic between them (nothing like a good banter filled with sexual tension), but the ending had way too much drama for my taste and the morality and logic behind Jane's actions in the beginning made it very hard to like her, and to generally enjoy the story.

I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a random book to read, but if you're like me, reading the whole series then do
Audrey
Difficult one for me to rate. Once I got past the horrified reaction I had to Jane's cold-blooded plotting to steal Cal's sperm (which, come to think of it, I might never have fully gotten over), it was a fun enough enemies-to-lovers story. Despite her really morally atrocious actions, Jane was otherwise a sympathetic character. I liked her spunk; she was strong enough to stand up to Cal, which is no mean feat. Cal was (justifiably) appalled and outraged by her actions. I thought he was drawn we ...more
valee
I'm even being nice by giving it 3 stars.

Let's just say that the first 70% of the book was boring and annoying as hell. I just wanted to burn the book and look up and ask WHY??? Okay maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic but it's just that I loved the first 2 books so much that I could not believe how bad this one was at first. I must admit that the last 30% was much better, but it wasn't enough to compensate for that terrible beginning.

The two main characters behave like the biggest asses in the w
Amber
This was my first Susan Elizabeth Philips book, and now my last, which was really disappointing since she is such a favorite in contemporary romance.

(view spoiler)
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

August 2014 - listened to this again....just as awesome as it was last time!

April 2013:

I read the paperback a few years ago and enjoyed it then, even though I really don't like books with a theme of 'I'm going to get revenge'.

However, this time I listened to the audiobook with Anna Fields as the narrator. I LOVE her style of narration and this re-read was fantastically funny and touching, mostly based upon her amazing skills. I'm so glad to have revisited 'Salvation'.

I just chec
Megha
this book is hilarious!!loved it will write in a bit...
Mara
mizL
4 stars

It took me for a while to finish it because I was afraid I might hate it so much I rated it to one-star (that's one extreme negative judgment). Yes, this book is not my cup of tea. The story was kind of childish, it was irritating.

I wasn't fascinated with Cal's attitude. He was a bit of an ass but then he became a likable person as the story went. I don't know why people find genius people are freak. For me, it's awesome to have such brilliant mind like Jane. And, I didn't have any probl
Natalia815
Muy entretenido, como todos los de SEP. La verdad es que el principio de la historia no es muy creíble, pero el desarrollo de el esta muy bien. Hay un par de escena con las que me he reído mucho.

Los protagonistas son geniales, aunque alguna vez, Cal me desesperaba con su obsesión que tiene con su edad. Superalo, tienes 36 años, peor sería no cumplirlos.

Quiero leer el libro de Kevin Tucker, me encantaría leer como sienta la cabeza
Sarah MacLean
This is one of my very very favorite books...one of the ones that is dogeared and spine-cracked for all the readings and rereadings I've done of it.

SEP is the best there is. Which makes Nobody's Baby But Mine quite possibly the best of the best.
Jayme
Funny and heartbreaking - these two words the best describe you this book.

Genius physics professor Jane Darlington desperately wants a baby. She choose a candidate and does everything what need to make this a reality. I mean everything. He never had to know and how to easily guess he do. She thinks that he doesn't care. As it turns out - its very a mistake.

Cal Bonner, the Chicago Stars’ legendary quarterback, although last thing he wants is married and start a family but he is in a situation i
Linda Howard Book...: February's Book of the Month-Nobody's Baby But Mine 15 10 Feb 26, 2015 11:09PM
minus one 18 219 Jan 06, 2013 12:24PM
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Slow Heat (Pacific Heat, #2)
  • Curveball (Richmond Rogues, #2)
  • Perfect (Second Opportunities #2)
  • Black Ties and Lullabies (Playboys, #3)
  • Hard and Fast (Fast Track, #2)
  • A Lot Like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

The Huffington Post says the books of Susan Elizabeth Phillips provide a “gateway drug to the whole [romance] genre,” which she assumes is a good thing. Bookpage magazine calls her “the crown jewel of romantic comedy writers,” which is definitely a good thing. Since she wrote her first novel on a typewriter in her kitchen, her books have been published in over 30 languages
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips...

Chicago Stars (8 books)
  • It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • Untitled (Chicago Stars, #8)
It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6) Kiss an Angel Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7) Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)

“I married a damned cereal killer” 271 likes
“She glared at him. "You're doing it again."
"What?"
"That thing that irritates me."
"Smiling?"