Josephine

Josephine

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Josephine Best has it all figured out. Just seventeen, she's been to college, she has her own hairdressing shop and she refuses to be distracted from her goals. At least until handsome George Brooks begins to pursue her. Jojo isn't looking for romance, but she permits George to call on her.

Adam Morgan has always been a Casanova, and no girl is immune to his charm. But when...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Harlequin Kimani (first published January 1st 2009)

Zoe and the Edge
Josephine Best is a sensible working girl. She's not ready for marriage and she loves her hairdressing business. She doesn't want to be confined to the old-fashioned box of women's roles.
Her father and older brother Daniel are away fighting the Civil War.

Adam Morgan is a great hero. He and Josephine are so adorable with the most perfect banter. Five years ago, he was best friends with Josephine's brother and practically adopted into the family. Adam and Josephine have always been like siblings...more
Rebecca
Josephine Best is seventeen years old, and she has a different plan for her life than most young women her age in 1864. Raised in a progressive free black family that ran a station on the Underground Railroad, Josephine has been encouraged since she was a child to follow her dreams, even if they were not traditional ones for a girl to have. Josephine has attended the Women's Program at Oberlin College and now runs her own hairdressing shop in her hometown. Most of the girls her age are thinking...more
Ashley W
I’ve read the prequel to this, Belle , before so the characters were all familiar to me and it was fun to the see the annoying 12 year old Jojo grow into the headstrong and independent 17 year old she becomes in this novel. The novel picks up five years after the ending of Belle and the Civil War is on its last leg. Josephine is left with her mother and sister-in-law Belle as the important men in her life, her brother, father, and Belle’s father, have gone to fight for the Union. As the war rag...more
Bebe20018
Another very good YA black historical fiction romance. Love it just like Belle.
Diane
Not to sound like a broken record, but I got THIS book because of that blasted romance "Belle" I had read. This one dealt with another character in that book and, hey, it is summer and I am on vacation and another mindless lite romance was right up my alley. Again, it was good but not something I would recommend spending a bunch of cash on.

I should also add that these two appealed to me because of the historical fiction (civil war era) slant.
Tqwana
Very sweet, quick read. Not as much history as the previous book, which is mostly why I gave this a 4, not a 5. Very heavy on the love story. I think I wanted more info on the war. I love the consistency of the Jo as a character; you still saw that spunk little girl, in this almost adult woman. I love what she represents for independent women, even back then.
Cris-anne Stewart
This book expressed more than just a african-american girl who is tryingto make it while her and her mom are at home waiting for her father and brother to make a call somewhere saying there okay because they are in the army.It also has a little love story between her and a injured soldier. This book really is amazing.
Chelsea
this was phenominal i want to read more about these charecters although to my knoledge there is no more to read. i look forward to reading more from this author howaever. the stories are captivating and the charecters well rounded and intresting. a wounderful leasure read.
This is one really adorable story, adorable but still sober, given the backdrop of the Civil War. Definitely a great light read for a teenage girl. The chemistry between Jo and Adam doesn't come through really nicely in the writing, but eh.
Kelly
Great story, also published in the Avon True Romance series as 'Josephine and the Soldier'. You can get this edition on nook/kindle....it was pure luck that i stumbled upon it on my nook. Confusing why it was republished under a different title!
Jackie
An interesting historical period, covering a culture not very well-represented in the annals of historical romance. I found Jenkins' telling rather flat, and her plot fairly dull, alas.
saferia
A quick romantic read set during the Civil War. There's a lot of fluff, but a lot of moving moments between Josephine and Adam- a childhood acquaintance.
Genevieve
a very instructive book.i especially like the characters of Jos and her brother.
Madison Foss
I absolutly Love this Book!!!! I reread it 5 times in 3 days!!!!
Cierra Buckles
this a very good book. it is the sequel to Belle.
Trudy
Enjoyable. Sweet. A "Calgon Take Me Away" read.
Cori Leffler
i want 2 own it
Kaneisha Williams
Kaneisha Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Brittani C
Brittani C marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Ksenia
Ksenia marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
  • Bachelor Unleashed
  • Still Changing Lives Everyday: Tuesdays With Morrie 10th Anniversary Foreword
  • My Old True Love
  • Klee Wyck
  • SEAL Team Six Outcasts (Seal Team Six Outcasts #1)
  • White fire
  • The Turner Diaries
  • A Legal Affair
  • Someone to Love Me
  • Blackbird Fly (Bennett Sisters #1)
199260
Beverly Jenkins is an African-American historical romance writer. She and her family live in southeastern Michigan. Born in Detroit, she graduated from Cass Technical High School and attended Michigan State University where she majored in Journalism and English Literature.
Ms. Jenkins has written sixteen books to date and has received numerous awards for her works, including: the Detroit Free Pres...more
More about Beverly Jenkins...
Bring on the Blessings Indigo Through the Storm Sexy/Dangerous Topaz