Start by marking “The Cheater (Lily Forrester, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Cheater (Lily Forrester, #3)

The Cheater (Lily Forrester #3)

Nancy Taylor Rosenberg has constantly been praised for her intense, dramatic suspense, breathing real life and trouble into her action-packed thrillers. Her fourteen years in law enforcement have always given her novels great authenticity, often pulling inspiration from the very cases she has worked. Now comes The Cheater.

Returning to her most beloved character, Lily Forre
Published June 9th 2009 by Forge Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Cheater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cheater

In the third installment of the Lily Forester legal thriller series, The Cheater was a terrific new legal thriller from Nancy Taylor Rosenberg. Lily Forrester returned years later as the judge, who dealt with a new husband, an estranged daughter, and two new cases, when a serial killer made her family a target. To start things off, her new husband called her from a Las Vegas jail cell and was charged with attempted rape. Meanwhile, FBI Mary Stevens tracked down a serial killer who target cheati ...more
Jul 01, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, suspense
Lily Forrester is back and now she is a judge. Still in Ventura, and newly appointed, Lily is still haunted by the double rape of herself and daughter Shana. It has been 10 years, and Lily's re-married to a real piece of work. Oh, and there is a female serial killer who only kills cheating men. Her new target? Lily's husband. Don't and won't spoil it. Just what you expect from Rosenberg, and every bit is a delight.
Jul 16, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys legal thrillers
I found "The Cheater" to be an incredibly satisfying read - - with the exception of the ending. It was quick and easy to get into and the basic storyline was believable - - a serial killer who targets cheating men. The main character, Judge Lily Forrester, is traumatized herself by an assault in her past, and an unsatisfying marriage. What should she do when her husband calls from jail, having been arrested for attempted rape by a woman he left town to meet on the sly?

My only complaint with "Th
Jul 22, 2009 Cathy rated it did not like it
Dreadful. One of the least sympathetic main characters I've run into lately. Lots of stupid, inexplicable behavior and events.
Aug 02, 2009 Kay rated it did not like it
This may be the worst book I've read this year. It operates from the "What If" scenario of writing. There is a one line plot and the rest of the pages are filled in when the author thinks "What if....."
Chandler Chandler
Sep 28, 2009 Chandler Chandler rated it it was amazing
This is a fun little read about a female serial killer who kills men who are cheating on their wives. It seems like a cotton candy read but Rosenberg's knowledge of the law makes it far meatier.
Oct 04, 2009 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Apr 08, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
May 01, 2010 Laurel-Rain rated it it was amazing
This fast-paced suspense thriller introduces the reader to a Superior Court Judge, an FBI agent, and a serial killer.

Lily Forrester has been a judge for a short time, but she comes with a tangled history, including one as a victim—along with her young daughter—of a violent rape. Other events from that troubled period in her life are secrets she cannot reveal to anyone—secrets that could completely ruin her new life.

Meanwhile, a serial killer is targeting wealthy men who cheat. Once they are kill
Nov 07, 2010 Gail rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an excellent read! The perspectives from both sides (the killer & the different groups trying to find the killer) made this a little more interesting to read. I usually like to try to figure out who the "bad guy" is but this story let me know that & I still couldn't put the book down until it was finished.
Kelly R
Dec 22, 2010 Kelly R rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 18 and older (on the conservative side), murder mystery lovers, police mystery lovers
Jan 22, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Started reading My Lost Daughter and then realized that I had missed reading The Cheater, which features the same characters. So, I went back and read this one first so I was up to date on the characters. Interestingly some of the same descriptions and flashbacks are identical in each book. Rosenberg doesn't even try use different words to describe the settings or events....just reprints them from each book. I shouldn't complain though, at least she makes an effort to bring you back up to speed ...more
Nancy Walker
Mar 01, 2011 Nancy Walker rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
This is supposed to be the 3rd or 4th book starring reader's fav character, Lily Forrester. I find it hard to believe anyone could like this woman. She's an idiot, her husbands a scumbag, and her daughter's a spoiled, arrogant brat. Almost makes you want to root for the serial killer. Plus, Lily is a judge and you'd think a judge would be smart, right? And you would be wrong. By the end of the book, I didn't want any of the characters, except the FBI agent, to live.

The writing style is rambling
Donna Kass
Jul 25, 2011 Donna Kass rated it liked it
Another quick read- read this in two sittings.

Interesting story line that kept me going, but I felt that it wrapped up too quickly and neatly.
Joan Horkey
Pretty good story line but the writing was disconnected. Several times I was confused by seemingly unrelated items appeared in the same paragraph. There was only one likeable character in the whole book: the FBI agent, Mary.
Sep 10, 2011 Leslie rated it it was ok
Good plot and kept me interested, but I didn't like the coarse language, and the end happened too quickly. Lily wasn't entirely sympathetic. Maybe if I'd read some of the earlier books first I would have found her more engaging.
Karen Sampson
Dec 22, 2011 Karen Sampson rated it it was ok
Had high hopes I'd found a new author with several books that I would like. This was pretty disappointing and the end was obviously wrapped up while the author was running out the back door to her publishers.
Jan 03, 2012 Kris rated it it was ok
I grabbed this book for a quick, light read over the holidays and was very disappointed. I was not expecting a riveting mystery but I was expecting much more than I was given. The plot was predictable and the main character, Lily Forrester was horrible. This was one of the few books I've read where I could not stand the protagonist. She was nasty and self-centered. I was almost cheering for the killer, she at least was honest. I see on Goodreads that Rosenberg has written other Lily Forrester bo ...more
Jan 11, 2012 Lena rated it liked it
Great story, great plot, awful characters. You just could not relate to them unless you are a complete sociopath! Overall I liked it but it would have been an awesome book if the characters had been a bit better.
Trish Ruthven
Mar 26, 2012 Trish Ruthven rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own
Yuck. I hate putting a book down until I've read the entire thing, but reading this one to the bitter end was a week or so of my life that I will never get back. The plot had promise, but that is the only thing remotely good about this book.
This book kept me turning the pages, even though there were many grammatical errors in the printing. The plot was somewhat chilling & unusual - a woman serial killer dismembering men who had committed adultery. She'd learn about the men from an alibi club she formed.
Oct 23, 2012 tammytery rated it it was ok
Disappointing Story

I was very disappointed with this story. This was the first book I've read by this author, and I won't be reading any more adventures staring Lily Forrester. She was a spoiled, self- centered , un likeable character..The ending was rushed and very contrived.By the end of the story, I was rooting for the killer to get away.
Apr 25, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
This book was kind of "meh". Your typical murder mystery. The end seemed to come together way too easily and way too fast, and before I knew it was I was like "oh, wait, that was it?"
Brooke Wilson
May 08, 2013 Brooke Wilson rated it really liked it
Very good book. I couldn't put it down. I wish they made it longer due to it was all in 5 days. Then they tried to sneak a little love and lust with Agent Stevens, kind of threw me off bc it was so fast. But all in all I loved it. Already got The Lost Daughter and can't wait to begin it.
Patti Hollingsworth
Nov 24, 2013 Patti Hollingsworth rated it liked it
Found this book to be interesting & couldn't wait to get to the end. Great plot but I too, was disappointed in the ending.
Echo Heron
Jan 14, 2014 Echo Heron rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Possibly the worst book I've read in a long time. Apparently there were no editors of any kind involved. Conflicting information, repeated information, plot mistakes, etc. At one section in the book a character is so tall as to be noticable, yet, later, same character is described as small, then, later as 5'5". The plot is improbable, not to mention rambling. There are so many absurd and impossible coincidences as to be laughable. Confusing, jumbled storylines that simly make no sense...rambling ...more
Dawn Ashenbrenner
May 01, 2014 Dawn Ashenbrenner rated it did not like it
Silly book. The best character is the serial killer! Lily is horrible, self-centered, annoying (maybe I should be a lesbian), and obviously cannot be without a relationship for one minute. Mary is only slightly better--meets Brooks and falls in love immediately and starts planning relocation (including their mothers moving in together). Who wrote these characters, a teenage girl? I can't believe I wasted my time on this drivel!
Feb 06, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok
Lily Forrester is unbelievable as a judge. She is the most pathetic main character I have ever had the displeasure to read about. She is reminiscent of Bella in Twilight, dependent on men to save her! If it wasn't for the other characters I wouldn't have finished the book. The story is predictable with no really likeable characters. Don't waste the time to read it.
Apr 02, 2015 Linda rated it it was ok
I usually don't write reviews. My opinion is just my opinion and I've figured out that what I like is not always to others taste and vice versa. However, when something is so annoyingly bad, I sometimes feel the need to comment.

With that preface out of the way I also want to say that the plot for this book was good, an interesting serial killer variation. However, and that is a BIG however, the characters were universally unlikable and really didn't hang together psychologically. This book was
Jan 25, 2016 Jamie rated it it was ok
I found I put this book down over and over, instead of reading it non-stop. The plot line was solid, but the characters were too unbelievable in how they acted and spoke. I just did not care for how nice and neat the ending was handed over either. Like the author, not this book.
  • La décima sinfonía
  • Criminal Justice
  • Harmony
  • How Jesus Became Christian
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #2)
  • Gothicka: Vampire Heroes, Human Gods, and the New Supernatural
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • Snow White: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm
  • Cursed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #12)
  • Heat Wave
  • Waterbury
  • Stolen (Tavistock Family, #2)
  • The Glades
  • End of Days
  • A Killer's Kiss (Victor Carl, #7)
  • El paciente
  • Bad Sisters
  • The Colony
With a BA in English and 5 years as a photographic model behind her, Nancy Taylor Rosenberg studied criminology. She served in the Dallas Police Department, New Mexico State Police, Ventura Police Department and as an Investigative Probation Officer in Court Services for the Country of Ventura where she handled major crimes. She lives in California.
More about Nancy Taylor Rosenberg...

Lily Forrester (4 books)
  • Mitigating Circumstances (Lily Forrester, #1)
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • My Lost Daughter (Lily Forrester, #4)

“Men expected idiotic chatter from pretty women, so she had incorporated it into her routine.” 0 likes
“Men did not want to get caught, but this fear wasn't there for the right reasons. They didn't want their wives to discover they were having an affair because they would make it harder for them to get away with it the next time.” 0 likes