Start by marking “Santa Fe Rules (Ed Eagle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Santa Fe Rules (Ed Eagle, #1)

Santa Fe Rules (Ed Eagle #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,750 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
Successful movie producer Wolf Willett is stunned when he sees his own death reported in a major newspaper. It says he was a victim in a triple homicide during a sordid tryst with his wife and a friend. But who is the unidentified corpse? Why can't Wolf remember anything about the night in question? And who wants him dead?

Wolf had the means and motive—and his inexplicable
Published December 30th 2008 by Harper (first published June 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Santa Fe Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa Fe Rules

Dyana
Feb 19, 2014 Dyana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read much better Stuart Woods books. Wolf Willett, a movie producer, wakes up groggy one morning in his Santa Fe home and heads for Los Angeles in his private plane. He can't remember anything that happened the previous evening. Experiencing plane trouble he lands near the Grand Canyon and books into a motel. The next morning he awakes, reads the paper, and discovers his obituary. He was supposedly murdered along with his wife and the director of his current film in his Santa Fe home. He ...more
John Mchugh
Jun 11, 2015 John Mchugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If they did half stars, I'd make it 3. But since they don't, I went with four. Good beach reading, but we don't have a beach. Good pool reading, same deal there. So mostly it was lunch hour reading, or I-think-I'll-sit-down-for-a-while reading. Nicely plotted, well written "thriller" that's a quick, easy read. Nancy brought it home from the library, having forgotten she had already read it. Since it's set in Santa Fe, she thoght I might enjoy it. I did. Rather like eating popcorn. Tasty, though ...more
Alan Reynolds
slick writing about amoral richies in LA; trash.
Kevin
May 06, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
A new series by Woods that takes place in, where else, Santa Fe. In the opener for this character, who you don't meet until later in the book, movie producer Wolf Willett wakes up with no memory of the previous evening. He decides to fly his private plane to LA for a meeting but ends up at the Grand Canyon after an in-air emergency. The next morning, while reading the New York Times, he discovers that he, his wife and third person were murdered in his home sometime during the night that he can't ...more
Diane
Apr 23, 2009 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books-read
Stuart Woods has been a hit or miss author for me, although some of his earlier books were my favorites. My husband and I listened to Santa Fe Rules (1992) on a short trip, and it made the drive fly by.

In this story movie producer Wolf Willett is shocked beyond belief when he finds himself stranded in the Grand Canyon, and reads about his own death, having been reported in a major newspaper. The article states that he was a victim in a triple homicide during a three-some with his wife and a frie
Bob
Jan 15, 2010 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone dropped off this early Woods at the library, so I grabbed it. Hollywood movie producer Wolf Willett wakes up in his Santa Fe house he is unsteady and groggy but pulls himself together to fly to LA to finish up and his current movie. His dog shows some interest in one of his quest rooms, but he is in a rush to get in the air in his private plane. Once air borne he settles back on autopilot for the trip to LA. But suddenly he has red lights on his instrument panel and he barely makes it to ...more
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ed Eagle meets Barbara Kennerly. Wolf Willet wakes up and flies himself to LA despite the fact that there are three murdered bodies in his guest room. Wolf makes it to the Grand Canyon before his plane breaks down and he spends two days watching news coverage of his own murder. He correctly notes that he has enough time to finish a new movie before anyone discovers that he is not dead. He contacts Ed Eagle to serve as his lawyer, who manages the crisis and shelters his client from jail and worse ...more
Greer Andjanetta
Jul 16, 2014 Greer Andjanetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuart Woods' books are always a very entertaining read with interesting and likeable characters, varied plot lines and endings that leave the reader feeling good. Santa Fe Rules is the initial book in a series featuring Santa Fe lawyer Ed Eagle and this story is just as entertaining as the books in the Stone Barrington series. The only negative part is the fact that there are currently only 4 books in this series. Hopefully there will be more.
Ed
Jul 21, 2015 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, action, thriller
#1 in the Ed Eagle series.

Ed Eagle, Santa Fe attorney, represents Hollywood producer Wolf Willett when three shotgunned bodies are found in a guest bedroom of his home. One of the bodies was originally thought to be Wolf, but when Wolf surfaced he became the prime suspect in a tangled plot with more than a believable quota of coincidences and mistaken identities.
Wes Bartlett
Jun 21, 2015 Wes Bartlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and enjoyable. It keep you in suspense the way through and even introduced a little surprise at the end, although if you were paying attention throughout the reading of the book it should not have been such a surprise because of the little hints dropped along the way.
Manvacamp2000
I liked this one and it certainly kept me going to try to finish t in one reading. That being said, a couple of the backstory twist were inconsistent with the profile of characters that got set up at the beginning. Of couse that probably won't stop me from continuing to try to read all the books in this and the related series.
Sharon
Jul 07, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book in the back of my bookshelf for a long time and discovered it recently while sorting through and weeding out my collection. I loved the story and the characters and will definitely read another book by this author.
Edward Westerbeke
Dec 20, 2015 Edward Westerbeke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Stuart Woods Santa Fe rules at a book sale. I enjoy reading his stories and this was a great mystery. From his many characters it was difficult to pick the culprit. II was't till the last pages.that I learned who did it.
Ronit
Jun 12, 2016 Ronit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, finished it all in a day, it sucked me in. I liked the twists every so often. One issue- by the end I nearly predicted what would happen. But still enjoyed it enough to give it a 5/5.
Remy Schultz
Maybe I'll re-read this so I can properly review it later...but from what I remember this book made me super confused at times- and at others I was just like alright no way that happened. Read for laughs??
Manda
Mar 10, 2014 Manda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I, unlike most of the reviewers, really enjoyed this book. I couldn't put it down. I surprisingly had a soft spot for Wolf. I look forward to reading more of this series. Even though it's not about Wolf, but Ed Eagle.
Gay
Jul 20, 2014 Gay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, but not great. The actions by the main character are just too likely to ignite suspicion so you have to let go of logic and just read the story.
Jenn
Apr 14, 2010 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, wow, wow. This book was NOT good. Willett's wife has been killed and instead of grieving, he starts falling for a single mom within a week. Then, he goes back to Santa Fe, knowing he's going to be the chief suspect in the murder and he invites the new love interest and takes her to a high society party. Did I mention the dude's a lawyer? Dumbass. This book was stupid. I'd been reading the Holly Barker series, but they didn't have the next one when I went this week. THAT series was getting p ...more
Jeff
Feb 27, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the characters, the plot, the whodunit aspect....kept me wondering whether Wolf Willett and Ed Eagle would solve the case.
Caryl Moulder
Mar 26, 2016 Caryl Moulder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book as much as I liked the holly barker series by this author. Have requested the next one in this series
Linda
Dec 31, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was good enough that I kept reading, but does not make me want to read any other in the series.
Jim
May 28, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very entertaining and I enjoyed it very much. I recommend this book to everyone.
James
Aug 13, 2014 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Trashy novel, decent plot. Ultimately, I'm embarrassed to say that I read it.
Yvonne Mendez
This is a quick-read mystery book that shouldn't be taken too seriously, the culprit will be apparent very quickly thanks to a few clues given by the author. The love interests seem forced, kinda like the main characters Have to fall in love....even though one of the main characters just lost the wife I'm assuming he loved.

I read the book as an audiobook and it was funny to listen to Ed Eagle, a Native American lawyer speaking with an old Southern Gentleman's accent. But overall I like both the
Mark Coates
Good pace and plot. A decent job of character development, but could've been better. A good lot twist at the end. I know this is the first in the series, so I'm eager to see how the characters are portrayed going forward. Definitely a quick and easy read.
Peter
Jul 22, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy quick read.
Melinda
Aug 01, 2015 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read, had to read the last part at once to find out what happened.
Barbara
Good plot but odd ending.
Shelley
I've read better, I've read worse. First by Stuart Woods, and I was freecycled a veritable truckload of his books, so we'll see what happens. The premise of this was pretty interesting; imagine picking up the paper and reading your own obituary following an article about how you were part of a triple murder! After that it was kind of flat and predictable. I'll have to withhold judgment on the author until I've read at least one more.
Tattoo. 1 3 Sep 24, 2013 03:57AM
  • The Callsign (Pike Logan, #2.5)
  • Vineyard Deceit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #3)
  • Never Look Back
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Falcon Seven
  • Fallen Idols
  • Scott Free
  • Dead Meat (Brady Coyne, #5)
  • The Templar Legion (Templar, #5)
  • Fury (Butch Karp, #17)
  • Deceived (Hannah Smith, #2)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Ed Eagle (4 books)
  • Short Straw (Ed Eagle, #2)
  • Santa Fe Dead (Ed Eagle, #3)
  • Santa Fe Edge (Ed Eagle, #4)