Start by marking “Santa Fe Rules (Ed Eagle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Santa Fe Rules (Ed Eagle, #1)

Santa Fe Rules (Ed Eagle #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  2,171 ratings  ·  98 reviews
Successful movie producer Wolf Willett is stunned when he sees his own death reported in a major newspaper. It says he was a victim in a triple homicide during a sordid tryst with his wife and a friend. But who is the unidentified corpse? Why can't Wolf remember anything about the night in question? And who wants him dead?

Wolf had the means and motive—and his inexplicable
Published December 30th 2008 by Harper (first published June 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Santa Fe Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa Fe Rules

Dyana
I have read much better Stuart Woods books. Wolf Willett, a movie producer, wakes up groggy one morning in his Santa Fe home and heads for Los Angeles in his private plane. He can't remember anything that happened the previous evening. Experiencing plane trouble he lands near the Grand Canyon and books into a motel. The next morning he awakes, reads the paper, and discovers his obituary. He was supposedly murdered along with his wife and the director of his current film in his Santa Fe home. He ...more
Kevin
A new series by Woods that takes place in, where else, Santa Fe. In the opener for this character, who you don't meet until later in the book, movie producer Wolf Willett wakes up with no memory of the previous evening. He decides to fly his private plane to LA for a meeting but ends up at the Grand Canyon after an in-air emergency. The next morning, while reading the New York Times, he discovers that he, his wife and third person were murdered in his home sometime during the night that he can't ...more
Diane
Stuart Woods has been a hit or miss author for me, although some of his earlier books were my favorites. My husband and I listened to Santa Fe Rules (1992) on a short trip, and it made the drive fly by.

In this story movie producer Wolf Willett is shocked beyond belief when he finds himself stranded in the Grand Canyon, and reads about his own death, having been reported in a major newspaper. The article states that he was a victim in a triple homicide during a three-some with his wife and a frie
Bob
Someone dropped off this early Woods at the library, so I grabbed it. Hollywood movie producer Wolf Willett wakes up in his Santa Fe house he is unsteady and groggy but pulls himself together to fly to LA to finish up and his current movie. His dog shows some interest in one of his quest rooms, but he is in a rush to get in the air in his private plane. Once air borne he settles back on autopilot for the trip to LA. But suddenly he has red lights on his instrument panel and he barely makes it to ...more
Will
Ed Eagle meets Barbara Kennerly. Wolf Willet wakes up and flies himself to LA despite the fact that there are three murdered bodies in his guest room. Wolf makes it to the Grand Canyon before his plane breaks down and he spends two days watching news coverage of his own murder. He correctly notes that he has enough time to finish a new movie before anyone discovers that he is not dead. He contacts Ed Eagle to serve as his lawyer, who manages the crisis and shelters his client from jail and worse ...more
Greer Andjanetta
Stuart Woods' books are always a very entertaining read with interesting and likeable characters, varied plot lines and endings that leave the reader feeling good. Santa Fe Rules is the initial book in a series featuring Santa Fe lawyer Ed Eagle and this story is just as entertaining as the books in the Stone Barrington series. The only negative part is the fact that there are currently only 4 books in this series. Hopefully there will be more.
Manvacamp2000
I liked this one and it certainly kept me going to try to finish t in one reading. That being said, a couple of the backstory twist were inconsistent with the profile of characters that got set up at the beginning. Of couse that probably won't stop me from continuing to try to read all the books in this and the related series.
Sharon
I have had this book in the back of my bookshelf for a long time and discovered it recently while sorting through and weeding out my collection. I loved the story and the characters and will definitely read another book by this author.
Manda
I, unlike most of the reviewers, really enjoyed this book. I couldn't put it down. I surprisingly had a soft spot for Wolf. I look forward to reading more of this series. Even though it's not about Wolf, but Ed Eagle.
Gay
A good read, but not great. The actions by the main character are just too likely to ignite suspicion so you have to let go of logic and just read the story.
Jenn
Wow, wow, wow. This book was NOT good. Willett's wife has been killed and instead of grieving, he starts falling for a single mom within a week. Then, he goes back to Santa Fe, knowing he's going to be the chief suspect in the murder and he invites the new love interest and takes her to a high society party. Did I mention the dude's a lawyer? Dumbass. This book was stupid. I'd been reading the Holly Barker series, but they didn't have the next one when I went this week. THAT series was getting p ...more
Thomas Strömquist
Every bit as suspenseful as can be wished for, but the cardboard characters and cheesy dialogue gets a bit in the way.
James
Trashy novel, decent plot. Ultimately, I'm embarrassed to say that I read it.
Yvonne Mendez
This is a quick-read mystery book that shouldn't be taken too seriously, the culprit will be apparent very quickly thanks to a few clues given by the author. The love interests seem forced, kinda like the main characters Have to fall in love....even though one of the main characters just lost the wife I'm assuming he loved.

I read the book as an audiobook and it was funny to listen to Ed Eagle, a Native American lawyer speaking with an old Southern Gentleman's accent. But overall I like both the
Alan Reynolds
slick writing about amoral richies in LA; trash.
Shelley
I've read better, I've read worse. First by Stuart Woods, and I was freecycled a veritable truckload of his books, so we'll see what happens. The premise of this was pretty interesting; imagine picking up the paper and reading your own obituary following an article about how you were part of a triple murder! After that it was kind of flat and predictable. I'll have to withhold judgment on the author until I've read at least one more.
Carol
I read this when it was originally published in 1992. It was the first time I went to Santa Fe and wanted to get the feel for the area. I loved the book then but re-reading it, I thought it was a little to much cliche. I wanted to re-read it because I saw the sequel was at the library and had to refresh my memory. It was better the first time because Stuart Woods is the total master of plot twists!
Michael VanOmmeren
Absolutely enjoyed this book. Read it in a day...

For fans of Stone Barrington or Holly Barker, I think Ed Eagle will be a fun read for you. Warning: Ed is not the focal point of the story for the first 50+ pages. I've read some reviews that indicate disappointment that Ed isn't the focal point of the story all the way through. I didn't have an issue with it. It's a good read.
Judy
Good book written by Stuart Woods before the Stone Barrington series. This one introduces Ed Eagle. Lots ot twists and turns.
Eleanor Jethro
Stuart Woods is a great writer. I have read many of his Holly Barker books and enjoyed them. Now I have started on the Santa Fe books. The interplay between Wolf, Ed, Julia, Barbara, Jane etc was great. Trying to figure out who murdered 3 people and then also Mark - This was a brain teaser. Enjoyed it thoroughly and would recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good mystery.
Kathryn
I have read only one Stuart Woods book before - and enjoyed it - so picked up 2 more at a charity used book sale a few weeks ago. This one was the one I chose to read first, just going by publishing dates. I quite enjoyed the story and kept regretting the breaks in reading I had to take. I look forward to reading Ed Eagle #2-#4 in the series - and more in future no doubt.
Beth
I have been reading this series out of order as that is when they were available from the library. It was interesting to find out the "back" story of the main characters but I don't think there is enough in any of the stories to keep my interest, seems to be a same-old, same-old type of thing.

Also, the main character seems to be fairly stupid about women.
Thomas D.
Aug 23, 2009 Thomas D. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: public transportation customers
Recommended to Thomas by: My Sis
Stuart Woods usually writes a pretty good mystery but this one didn't keep me turning pages. I'm always a little unsettled when new characters show up in the last 100 pages. Characters that provide a tidy way to clean up a storyline that has run more roots than a mesquite tree. It wasn't a bad bathroom book but he's capable of much better.
Heid Cole
The first SW book I read, and besides "Chiefs" one of his best.... Years since writing this he has expended less effort at his craft--doesn't mean they aren't fun easy reads--but now they are more of soap opera indulgences. If that's what you are looking for you won't be disappointed. I still read Stuart Woods and still enjoy him!!!
John
I believe this is the 9th Stuart Woods book that I have read. I have read them in order starting from his first book Chiefs. Pretty entertaining and fast paced murder mystery. As with most of Woods' books, some of the scenarios stretch the imagination. Once you get past that, it is an exciting read with many plot twists.
Pagan
It was the title that caught my eyes. I've come to enjoy Woods' mystery and writing style. Of course, the setting is in Santa Fe about a movie producer who was dead and accused of murdering his wife and her lover. An attorney came to help him. The next book, Short Straw, is about the same attorney. Read them!
Mary
This book was the first one that I read that Stuart Woods wrote. I enjoyed it very much and will look for others from him. Ed Eagle was introduced in this book and I understand that he has another one out now. I think that Ruth King has read it. I recommend it to everyone who enjoys a good mystery.
Meaghan
Fun, quick read.

Twisted murder mystery with some fun characters. Again, the place always adds to what I read, & since I know Santa Fe, it was fun to touch on their quirkiness. Not quite as thick on the crazy characters as, say, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, but still fun.
Jackie Wolfred
This is the first book in a long time that I read in one day. I literally couldn't put it down.

Started reading just after noon. Finished at 1:30 am. And, yes, I did have to put it down to do what I had to do today, but I don't usually read 381 page books in one day.
Tattoo. 1 3 Sep 24, 2013 03:57AM
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • Valley Of The Templars (Templar, #7)
  • Outrage (Butch Karp, #23)
  • Hush Money (Spenser, #26)
  • King And Maxwell (King & Maxwell): by David Baldacci -- Sidekick
  • Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)
  • Capitol Betrayal: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #18)
  • Fallen Idols
  • The Third Rail (Michael Kelly, #3)
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Manner of Death (Alan Gregory, #7)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)