Start by marking “EarthCore” as Want to Read:
EarthCore

EarthCore

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  2,584 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Audiobook
Published by Podiobooks.com (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about EarthCore, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Scott Sigler
Dec 13, 2008 Scott Sigler rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE>September 1, 2016:
At the suggestion of the team that runs Goodreads, here is a list of some of the books I used as research for EARTHCORE. These books are listed in the novel's bibliography, but it's kind of cool to see them collected here on Goodreads.

UPDATE: August 24, 2016:
I know you're supposed to do a fancy "cover reveal" event, but we're excited and want to get it up there for all to see (new cover made by Scott E. Pond).

We're hoping to have the book out in late 2016 or early 20
Jeremy Hawthorne
Holy Shit Mr. Sigler!! This is the best book I've read this year!! You are one of my favorite authors and Earthcore is now firmly in my top five favorite thrillers of all time, along with Infected! That makes you the only author with more than one title in any of my top five lists! I've been reading 3-4 novels a week for the past 35 years so shining brighter than all the rest is no small achievement sir!
Jeremy
Dec 28, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My fans and anyone who likes a fast-paced, fun thriller
Recommended to Jeremy by: The Author, Scott Sigler
Man, I'm glad I snagged a copy of this book before it became unavailable. Scott Sigler is a friend and Crown recently scooped all of his books, including this gem. The good news there is that we'll probably see it again, the bad news is that it's no longer in print...for now.

BUT, when it comes back in print, it's well worth reading. It's a subterrainean thriller, which I'm, for some reason, drawn to (my favorite novel is The Descent). Earthcore is fun, inteligent and scary. Three nights in a ro
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
This book felt like an epic race to the finish line!

Earthcore is one of those books that you enjoy reading because of the thrill and mysteries. It was like watching a movie unfold, complete with mad scientists, an ambitious misguided businessman, an assassin and bizarre creatures! LOTS AND LOTS OF BIZARRE CREATURES!!!

The story revolves around a mining area which is supposed to give off a lot of money. It was a great vision and everyone felt excited for it. However, it turned out to be the cause
Bill
Oct 26, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Billions of dollars worth of platinum, 3 miles below the surface is up for grabs. A ruthless mining company is staking its claim, but first a group of EarthCore employees and scientists will need to find a way to survive the night and quite possibly save the planet in the process.

I really enjoy Scott Siglers work. The guy can definitely tell a story. This may not have been my favorite so far, but it was fast, fun and entertaining. There were some genuinely likeable, as well as, (signature Sigle
Tammy
Mar 20, 2011 Tammy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
2.5

Book Summary:
Deep below a desolate Utah mountain lies the largest platinum deposit ever discovered. A billion-dollar find, it waits for any company that can drill a world's record, three-mile-deep mine shaft. EarthCore is the company with the technology, the resources and the guts to go after the mother lode. Young executive Connell Kirkland is the company's driving force, pushing himself and those around him to uncover the massive treasure. But at three miles below the surface, where the ro
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not joking either- I've yet to read or listen to a Sigler story that has disappointed me. Sure, there's some that I don't like as well as others, but overall I've enjoyed all of Sigler's works in either a book or podcast format.

Earthcore surrounds a group of the world's best & brightest in mining, run by the ruthless Connell Kirkland. Reeling from his own personal losses years earlier, Kirkland thinks only of the bottom line & what profits he can get for his company. When an enormous
Ruthie Jones
Jan 26, 2011 Ruthie Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ruthie by: John Miller
I really like this author. Earthcore is fantastic. Sigler definitely doesn't follow the same or similar path that other sci-fi writers follow. His subjects/concepts are so unique and fresh that they keep the reader interested and guessing the whole way through. Earthcore also has that anthropological element that makes me love this book even more. Anything I say about the plot will be a spoiler, so I will just say that this book is well worth it, and it's certainly action movie-worthy. I have al ...more
Robin
Set in Utah, very cool! A real page-turner! I think it'd make a great movie.
Jer
Jul 26, 2007 Jer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this when it was the first-ever podcast-only novel. It was awesome.

I suspect that it's just as awesome as a novel-novel.
Chris
Mar 09, 2017 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to be able to read the new rewrite early. As fantastical as Scott's books are, this one has a level of human realism that surpasses all the others. I think this now beats out Ancestor as my favorite Sigler book. Also, it completely rocks. Junkies will devour this one. For anyone new to Sigler's work, this is a great place to start.
Veselin Nikolov
Не моя тип фантастика.
Bryan
Sep 29, 2010 Bryan rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, horror, audiobooks
My very first audiobook experience, downloaded for free from podiobooks.com, and listened to on my Palm Centro (while driving to and from work).

Actually, I did rather enjoy this. It was a bit weird to have somebody "read" the story to me, especially with all the strange voices that Sigler uses. (The first few were okay, but they started getting weirder as the list of characters grew, and some of the voices were quite annoying.)

Overall, the story was very captivating. Lots of action, lots of susp
Rechan
Apr 08, 2013 Rechan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
I picked this up expecting it to be a big monster chasing people around in tunnels, and instead it involved a bit more espionage and a whole race of creatures and technology. It's not very bad, but it's not particularly good, either; I'd give it 2.5 stars if I could.

Sigler finished this book in 1998, I think this makes this his first book. The writing shows. The dialogue is a little overly blunt and too dramatic, it doesn't feel like how normal people talk. The descriptions are pretty similar -
Patrick
Mar 16, 2010 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: action sci-fi/horror fans
Recommended to Patrick by: Kali Mura
Earthcore took a while to grab me. Part of this may be because it takes place here in Utah, and some of the early scenes involving BYU* and Salt Lake City didn't quite ring true for me. However, to a reader that's not from here, it probably wouldn't garner a second thought. (Pioneer Park full of playing children? Really? I think an old-timey prospector being tazed and abducted in broad daylight would likely be LESS out of place there than throngs of happily rollicking kids. Ha!)

Once the story re
Summer
Update: 08/25/2016: It was just announced that 'Earthcore' is being re-released with new scenes and editing changes. I'm curious to see the new edits, so this review may change in the future.

Finally found a way to finish this book nearly a year after it disappeared from Podiobooks.

After taking a break from this book for nearly a year, it took me a while to catch myself up to finish this book. I think that the idea and plot behind the book is good; I don't think it was executed very well because
Jen
Aug 22, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Scott does a great job with giving each character their strengths and flaws and making them seem like real people and not just cookie cutouts. There were some people who I was rooting for escape at the end (I was slightly disappointed here) and other people were I was like OMG I HOPE THEY DIE! And they totally did, because this is Sigler we're talking about, and he's not wishy-washy about slaughtering his characters at all.

I had been avoiding this book because it was Scott's first, and in my opi
Frederick Masterman
This fast-paced horror-science fiction romp is an exciting and non-stop action story. I enjoy such things, trying to create something of the same mood in Season of the Plant, although I come nowhere near the skill of this author. I have a background in geology, have gone into unexplored caves, and can relate to the excitement and mystery which surround plumbing the depths of our planet. What these explorers discover, however, is a wonderfully amazing and horrifying one. Well described, action to ...more
Emily
Jul 13, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid entry into the horror genre. Follows a somewhat predictable storyline that has been done by many excellent horror authors in the past (group drills into somewhere very deep and finds something scary there) but that doesn't mean this is a bad book. It's actually a very original concept, one that gets both more intriguing and more confusing as we move towards the end of the book.

As far as the ending of the story, I found it satisfying but I didn't much like the origin story of the cre
Michael
A high 3-star. I steadily kept with it because it was a free audiobook and I liked it because really, how can you not like monsters in underground caverns?? But it wasn't what I would consider to be amazing high quality writing. Especially reading Hunger Games right after. Earthcore was more along the lines of the countless similar action/adventure/thrillers out there, similar in fact to James Rollins: in my opinion, so so writing, story mostly kept alive by all the fun action and body counts an ...more
Jess
Oct 12, 2012 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hero-pov, horror
Not the first time I've listened to it, but a week ago when I was casting about for something, ANYTHING, to listen to keep myself occupied at a slow week at work, I remembered about Scott Sigler's free podcast books.

I had listened to most of them, and decided to give earthcore a go again.

The first half of the novel was very interesting. The characters were introduced in a manner that made me interested in all of them. The mystery of the horror in the caves kept growing steadily.

After the truth o
Ellie
Dec 15, 2008 Ellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a definition for authors who break the mold, publish their own books either in print or in audio format and try to tackle the beast that is fantasy and sci-fi publishing on their own. I call them Punk Scribblers. Among the best of these are Scott Sigler, Robert Fanney (Luthiel's Song), and Tee Morris (Billybub Baddings). Scott's own contribution began with Earthcore and has since branched out to an expanding pallet of great books. This one is both edgy and sinister. A very gritty and real ...more
Ryan
Mar 05, 2009 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, horror, audiobooks
Currently "read" the audio version of the novel from podiobooks.com

It's not often that an author can make a serious claim at having created a genre, but in some ways that's what Sigler did with this, the world's first ever podcast-exclusive audiobook.

The story's pretty simple - a group of miners discover a giant deposit of platinum deep in a mountain in Utah ... but as they start to mine it, they start to realize that they're not alone. Sigler's a good enough of an author to prevent the story fr
Felts
Jul 25, 2011 Felts rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This one could actually be a 3.5 stars because Sigler does a pretty damn good job of writing a suspenseful tale. Then again, I pondered giving it 2.5 stars due to the fact that I wanted every character in the book to die because they are extremely unlikeable. Hopefully, ****SPOILER ALERT*** the characters that did survive in this one get their asses mangled down in South America when they try to take on the underground goo-monsters down there! Anyhoo, enough of my ranting, try this one yourself ...more
Fantafano
Unremarkable from a literary standpoint. No truly quotable lines. Sigler is very good at coming up with novel premises for his books, but his delivery tends to be a collection of cliches and unnecessarily sexual metaphors. Upon reading some of his other work, I once remarked that he might be a viable alternative to the recently-deceased Michael Crichton, but Scott Sigler has a lot of growing to do before he can hope to fill those shoes. Still, a fun read, good to absorb while decompressing betwe ...more
Christian
Dec 25, 2015 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this a thousand stars I would. I've been a fan of Scott Sigler's ever since Infected scared me sleepless, so I shelled out the money to buy a paperback copy of this seemingly rare novel.
Brilliantly thought out with characters that you care about, I was having emotions of sadness and happiness in my mind at certain points in the book. It had everything; action, horror, sci fi, genuine science, a teeming love story, as well as blood, gore and guts.
I don't want to give anything a
Martin Livings
Jan 18, 2013 Martin Livings rated it really liked it
The podcast of Earthcore really was enormous fun to listen to. Okay, sure, maybe some of the characters are cliches, and sure, maybe one or two parts of the book don't make a whole lot of sense if you really stop and think about it too hard, but really, what Earthcore really is at its, uh, core is a rollicking action movie as a novel, always charging forwards, exciting, thrilling, and in the end, completely satisfying. It is exactly what it sets out to be, and is entirely excellent at it. I had ...more
Stephany
Dec 14, 2014 Stephany rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is so creative and totally insane, both things that in my mind make a horror/sci-fi novel truly great. I was smart enough to keep the hard copies of his podcast when I started listening in 2009 so I have copies of this, both Ancestors, both Nocturnals (one is the hardcover, start doing two podcasts Scott! You make too much good stuff nowadays!) and the Rookie where there's swearing :) And I'm so glad I do. This is a truly terrific book and I hope hardly anything changes when ...more
Stephen Holmes
This was a good thriller. I enjoyed the read, but I don't know if I will pick it up again. The plot was very straight forward and enjoyable, but there was not a lot of depth to it. Of course, sometimes that is exactly what you are looking for.

Most of the book seemed "normal", by which there were no Fantastical (fantasy or SF) elements to the book, although there were hints to it. The action was well paced, and the slow explanations never seemed to take too long.

All in al a nice light read.
Curtis
Dec 22, 2008 Curtis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: podiobooks
It was a welcome relief to know that Sigler, even with his first novel, knew the things people would want to keep coming back for. Although he really didn't grasp the concept of attraction and coupling very well, his dark humor and amazing ability to think of detailed background information for all the events made this one a great listen. Before he found his stroke of genius in Infected, he was clearly on his was with this one.
  • 7th Son: Destruction (7th Son, #3)
  • Crescent
  • The Case of the Singing Sword
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • Singularity (The Archon Sequence #1)
  • Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Earth
  • Double Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #4)
  • The Immortals
  • Underwood and Flinch

Get Scott's free, unabridged weekly audiobook episodes from iTunes by subscribing to his podcast.

#1 New York Times best-selling author Scott Sigler is the creator of fifteen novels, six novellas and dozens of short stories. His works are available from Crown Publishing and Del Rey Books.

In 2005, Scott built a large online following by releasing his audiobooks as serialized podcasts. A de
More about Scott Sigler...