Bliss To You: Trixie's Guide To A Happy Life

Bliss To You: Trixie's Guide To A Happy Life

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  896 ratings  ·  100 reviews
Bestselling author Dean Koontz says that his dog, Trixie, changed his life and made him a better, happier person. A 68-pound dog who lived close to the ground, Trixie certainly did cast a long shadow. She first became known outside of her own house (doghouse, that is) as a guest blogger on Dean's website, signing off every entry Life is Good, Bliss to You. Now, in this war...more
Audio CD
Published September 16th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published September 1st 2008)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
A great & happy tail told through the eyes of a Wonderful Dog.This book makes me so happy :-) I read this back in 2009 and in 2012 I listened to the audiobook with the introduction read by Dean Koontz. Read again on New Years Day 2013. Listened/Read again June 2014. Listed below are Trixie's 8 steps of bliss, but I recommend reading the short book or listening to the 1 hour audio so that Trixie can elaborate on each of these steps for you.

1. Be Calm - Reside in Quiet Heart
2. See the World in...more
Monica Tarrant
As a dog lover and one who thinks I know what my dog is thinking at all times, this was a short listen (book on CD) on yesterday's drive to work. It put life in perspective and reminds us to slow down and appreciate what is in front of us and not to worry about the future - to live in the present. This was the third of his books written from the perspective of his golden retriever but in this book, his dog Trixie is speaking to him from the "other side" as she has passed on. Ember (my dog) is 14...more
Stacey
I was drawn to this book mostly because of Trixie's picture on the cover and the fact that I am a dog lover. I thought this book would be great, especially told from a dog's point of view. I was disappointed though with Trixie's broken English and sentence structure. I think I was expecting something more along the lines of Marley and Me and this book is simply not the same.
To be fair, I did listen to this book on CD and from the very first word I was disappointed with the person reading.
Christyn
Bliss To You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life was not quite what I expected. I will admit the broken english and grammar was a bit distracting and took a little getting used to. But sometimes the simple, broken english got across the point better than any flowery words could.

"See sad, must do something. Why? Am dog. Want world as happy as dogs are happy."

According to Trixie the 8 Steps to bliss are:

1) Calm - Find Quiet Heart.
2) Beauty - See the world in all it's beauty
3) Fun
4)Meaning - Find...more
Josie
Ohmigod, any uplifting or self improvement message is ruined by the poor use of language in this book. I don't care if you're pretending that your dog wrote it: verbs and pronouns and important and useful pieces of speech. If you decide to drop them you need to be consistent. If you decide to use them, be consistent.

I will never get that time back. At least it was a quick read.
Vicki Jaeger
Aug 12, 2009 Vicki Jaeger rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hmm, probably wouldn't
Recommended to Vicki by: advance reading copy
The writing in the voice of Trixie, his dog, was a bit too "twee" (saccharine sweet & precocious) for me. If you can get past that, there are some nice little observations about life. But it's really more like a "thought a page" book, not really a content-driven book.
Alex (Al)
Feb 03, 2009 Alex (Al) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Alex (Al) by: Mum
Shelves: koontz, happy-d
This was a great book! This book taught me that I have to relax sometimes, and take time to stop and smell the roses. It was a great book, and I recommend it to everyone! :D
Joanne
Everyone should really read this book - if you don't mind shedding a few tears at the end. Trixie's lessons for life are right on the mark......or, er, pawprint.
Sandy
Loved it! It made me cry and laugh. It helps to be a dog lover.
Kunal
Another book that I randomly picked up when I was walking through the aisles in the library that has failed me. This should be a reminder of why I should never pick up random books from the library based on their covers!

Overall, this was a horrible book. I thought it may have potential as the book is supposed to be written from a dog's point of view of how we can all find happiness and I felt that it was a book that dog lovers would appreciate (although I hate dogs, thought it would be good for...more
Homewood Public Library
Trixie was a beautiful and fun loving Golden Retriever. She enriched the lives of Dean and his wife for many years. Now she is gone but has dictated this book to Dean's computer for him to share with us. Understand that the priorities that we have in life may be some different from those of Trixie but her purpose is to help us achieve bliss. Each chapter is Trixie giving short, pithy suggestions on finding another part of bliss. Two chapters are on dog wisdom. Throughout she wants us to do or ex...more
kari
A profound little book with lots to say and a sense of fun. Example:

"The world is fun. Meadows to run. Ponds to swim. Hills, valleys, shores to explore. A bajillion things to smell. So much to learn, to see. Cats to chase.

Warning: can't achieve bliss if catch cat. Cats are only for chasing. Catch cat, get lacerated nose, go to vet, get cuts sewn shut, needle in butt, and everybody laughing, especially cat."

This is written by Trixie Koontz from "the other side." I laughed and cried. Trixie is ver...more
Alondra Preciado
Jun 13, 2014 Alondra Preciado rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
I really enjoyed this book! It was a very quick read (I read it in a couple of hours). Once you get past the broken English, it is a nice, simple, cute book for dog lovers and dog owners alike. I actually read this book with my dog on my lap the whole time. X
Pam
As others have mentioned, I was put off a bit by the manner of speech. Then I was reminded that my dogs "talk" in their own special way too. There is great love and wisdom in this little treasure. Trixie, and all our beloved dogs, have much to teach us.
Fun, uplifting, positive bits of doggy wisdom that made me laugh out loud several times, including, but not limited to

Mailman does not come to house to kill us all. Comes to house to torture and then kill.

Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean. More for the dog.

Here is another dumb saying: it is what it is. No kidding. If it isn't what it is, then what would it be? And if it is what it isn't, what the hell is going on here? ...Some human sayings not dumb, just painfully obvious....more
Simone Burkeen
Love this book so much! A must for dog lovers, or people who are not dogs to understand them better. This book is a beautiful blessing.
This was a case of reading the right book at the right time. I was feeling a little blue and very stressed out and this book made me think about my life and I realized the things I was stressing over were really nothing to be stressed about at all. I received more wisdom and advice from this book, "written" by a deceased dog than I usually care to seek out from those closest to me. It made me laugh, cry, smile, and think. This is one book I intend to purchase for myself. I recommend this book fo...more
Kellie
Awww, this was so sweet and of course brought tears to my eyes. I've been a fan of Dean Koontz for a very long time, and used to love reading the "columns" from Trixie that I used to get delivered to my inbox via his website.

You can tell that Dean and his wife Gerda loved Trixie very much and that she was a big part of their family. I loved the story of the golden butterfly, and I too believe that was Trix letting them know she was okay. :D

There's actually some very good thoughts in this book; I...more
Stefanie Martelli
Cutest book! Philosophy from a dogs viewpoint..
Tony
If you love dogs like I do, you'll really enjoy this book. It was written by author Dean Koontz from his dog Trixie's perspective shortly after her death. (This is Trixie's 3rd book I believe).

Trixie shares her 8 steps to achieving bliss. It makes a lot of sense for both dogs and humans. It boils down to enjoying your world and serving others. I think Trixie might even be Christian.

It was nice to read this after losing our beautiful dog Zoey. Also it was fun to read and relate it to our curren...more
Susan
Great gift for any dog lover.
Peggy
Enjoyed this short little book very much. Trixie, who was author Dean Koontz's golden retriever, gives her little bits of dog wisdom to us. Sadly, Trixie now resides over the Rainbow Bridge in Heaven. This book is packed with dog wisdom and also gives us humans some instruction in how to make life better. Trixie thinks humans get too involved in life and need to stop working so hard, stop worrying so hard and take time to enjoy the world around us. Maybe Trixie has a good idea.
Elhara
Being a fan of most things Koontz I was aware of Trixie. She and Mr. Koontz appeared on the book end photo for a number of years.
Koontz and wife Gerda gave Trixie a wonderful home and had an above average closeness with her. Unfortunately I grew bored at the lengthily descriptions of inconsequential memories. They are personal, special and unique to the Koontz family. I hope writing about life with his beloved dog has brought some comfort to him.
Katie
Satia
This book is so darn cute. Definitely a dog-lovers book because Trixie is clearly biased against cats. All proceeds from the sale of this book go to a charity. This book would make a great stocking stuffer or addition to a gift basket or that something for the coworker who loves dogs but other than that you don't know very well and you're their Secret Santa. For more:

I picked this book up on a whim, just browsing the new books at the library. What a find! The book is told in through the eyes of a dog [angel:]*, one with keen human insights. A tiny book it may be, but it has big messages within, for the book is a guide to finding one's bliss. I totally recommend it.

*The co-author is famed writer Dean Koontz (owner of Trixie before she died in 2007).
Kelly
I found the book cute, though I enjoyed more of the one liners than the general story. Part of the reason could be that I have very atypical pets (a dog who doesn't like peanut butter and cats that are very social and get along pretty well with the dog). I did not like the narrator of the audiobook, I found the voice to be very distracting to the story.
Krazykat
#5--others
#6--humility
#7--loss
#8--gratitude
Words of wisdom from a goldie who's passed on to the other side. Most important: when in doubt, a cookie always makes things better. Bliss right back at ya, Trix!
Hilary
Narrator/voice artist is the perfect choice for this book. I rarely like stories told from a pet's point of view. And I'm a "cat person." But I LOVED this one -- and laughed out loud and immediately listened to the (only one hour long) recording again. I borrowed the library's copy -- but I'm buying a copy of my own! Huzzah!
Grace Lockridge
As I am a fan of golden retrievers, this book called to me. Trixie's picture on the cover was enough to make read this book. Pleasantly surprised am I, to learn how to achieve bliss from Trixie Koontz. One way to bliss is to be a blessing to others. This book is a jewel--even if you don't like dogs. For shame.
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • A Big Little Life:  A Memoir of a Joyful Dog
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • Good Dog. Stay.
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Izzy & Lenore: Two Dogs, an Unexpected Journey, and Me
  • Through a Dog's Eyes: Understanding Our Dogs by Understanding How They See the World
  • Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
Short Stuff, Trix, Furface, Fluffybutt

Quick Bio:
Purebred, Service Dog

Arrival Story:
I was a CCI assistance dog. After elbow surgery, was retired from service and came to live as a Koontz in Newport Beach. Wrote three books to raise money for other assistance dogs.

Bio:
Trixie was an angel on earth, shorn of her wings and given fur as a disguise, with mysterious eyes, with the heart of a lio...more
More about Trixie Koontz...
Life Is Good: Lessons in Joyful Living Christmas Is Good!: Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom

“Laughter is tranquilizer without side effects.” 9 likes
“If every day is first day of your life, maybe you are being perpetually infantile.” 5 likes