Start by marking “The Warrior” as Want to Read:
The Warrior

The Warrior

John Nightwalker is a strong, rugged Native American soldier who has seen many battles. While hunting down an old enemy, he crosses paths with Alicia Ponte. On the run from her father—a powerful arms manufacturer—Alicia seeks to expose her father's traitorous crimes of selling weapons to our enemies in Iraq. But Richard Ponte will do anything to stay below the radar…even i ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 427 pages
Published March 31st 2009 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warrior

Julie (jjmachshev)
Feb 28, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Apr09

Fans of Native American lore and the paranormal will be thrilled with Sharon Sala’s new book “The Warrior”. This is a story of love, loss, revenge, and resolution. When an early Native American warrior is too late to save the rest of his village from Spanish marauders, he keens his sorrow and lust for revenge to his gods…and they answer. Until he spills the blood of the man who killed his woman, he will not die. This is his story, and his revenge
jenjn79
Mar 31, 2009 jenjn79 rated it really liked it
Recommended to jenjn79 by: favorite author
Another solid book from author Sharon Sala. I was hooked right from the start. The Warrior is a very vibrant and emotional tale that had me reading even when I had other things to do.

The story begins with a prologue that takes place 500 years earlier. Night Walker is a second chief to his tribe, which sits on the Georgia coastline. He knows something bad is coming, he feels it. Then a greedy, heartless explorer arrives and he and his men slaughter the entire tribe, including Night Walker's belov
SheLove2Read
Jun 08, 2010 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of native American paranormal romance and mystery
Shelves: 2010
Very gritty, emotional story.

John Nightwalker is 529 years old. 500 years ago, his entire village was slain by Spanish explorers for little more than a few trinkets and "glory". He was unable to save them but managed to send a few to their destiny before they got away completely. In his rage and despair, he called out to the Old Ones for revenge upon the one who had killed his beloved wife, and they answered. John has been alive since that day in search of the soul who took everything dear to h
Pat Cromwell
Apr 09, 2009 Pat Cromwell rated it liked it
Granted her last several books have not been up to the famous Sala prose but the critism some so-called Sharon Sala fans have leveled at her infuriates me because they are making it a personal attack on her and a political statement in general. The buzz amongst the Sharon Sala bashers is downright cruel. It started with her book Survivor which she struggled to complete (per her acknowledgement in the book) because she was dealing with losing her soul mate Bobby. I think with his lost a part of h ...more
Melissa
Sep 22, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
I thought this book had a lot of potential that it just never lived up to. I liked the idea of the John being immortal until he shed the blood of the man who killed all his tribe but the relationship the hero and heroine really fell flat for me. I didn't ever see a real connection between them to move that relationship along or make it interesting.
Lara
Dec 04, 2009 Lara rated it really liked it
The Warrior was the first Sharon Sala book I've read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were little structural problems that drove me crazy...but all in all the story is fantastic. John Nightwalker is a fantastic Alpha Male and eventually I got so I liked Alicia. The story moves quickly...even with the constant POV changes.
Roxann
Nov 27, 2016 Roxann rated it liked it
A few parts were very predictable but did not take away from the enjoyment of the book.
Keri
Bob Clarkson
Jul 17, 2014 Bob Clarkson rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book by Sharon Sala that I have read. The Healer was the first and was a suspenseful romance, heavy on the suspense; the second book, Familiar Stranger, was a romantic suspense, heavy on the romance.

This book is similar to the first, and like the first has a strong Native American hero.

John Nightwalker has lived more than 500 years as a result of a promise he made to the Old Ones after his entire tribe, including his wife, was slaughtered by Spanish pirates led by a captain Varga
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the experience. Well done romantic suspense with some fantasy (immortality and reincarnation).

STORY BRIEF:
In the early 1500s, the pirate Vargas and his men kill an entire village of American Indians, except one called Night Walker. Night Walker was able to kill most of the pirates but Vargas got away. Due to Night Walker’s rage and grief, the gods gave him immortality so that he could live long enough to kill Vargas. It is now present day. Night Walker is still alive, using the name Jo
Jeb
Jun 16, 2009 Jeb rated it it was ok
Apparently, Sharon Sala has written a bunch of books. I was clueless up until reading this book. On a whim.

The principal appealed to my fantasy side because it's about an immortal Indian who is on a five hundred year quest to locate and exact revenge upon the Western Sole who killed his wife and all the members of his village.

Yep, sounds like a guy's book. That is, until you read it.

It's a romance novel. One that seems to superficially track to the story line but is really about this immortal wo
Tom Tischler
Mar 27, 2013 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it
John Nightwalker is a rugged Native American soldier who
has seen many battles. Hunting an old enemy he crosses paths
with Alicia Ponte who is running for her life from her father
Richard who is a powerful arms manufacturer who Alicia is
trying to bring down for selling arms to our enemies in Iraq.
But Richard will do anything to stay below the radar, even
kill his own daughter. John feels compelled to protect Alicia
and together they travel to the brutal Arizona desert. There
they unravel truths to br
Loreta
Jun 05, 2011 Loreta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great page turner book by Sharon Sala.

John Nightwalker is on a 500 year mission to avenge the death of his tribe and cannot die until he has done so. He tries to help Alicia Ponte whose father is trying to kill her because she blew the whistle on his selling arms to the enemy. The soul of the man who killed John's people has passed down through the centuries and has now been born in Alicia's father. John agrees to help Alicia because it will get him closer to his sworn enemy.

This is a fa
Sara
Jul 29, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, romance
I might call this paranormal, but it's more mystical in nature. A warrior from an early American Indian tribe witnessed the massacre of his village and was granted immortality until he could avenge his people on the soul of the man who slaughtered them for a few trinkets. Over 500 years later, he encounters a woman on the run from her father, an arms dealer guilty of treason, and knows that if he can kill this man, his journey will come to an end. Lots of running hither and thither and a couple ...more
Ann  Lorz
Apr 23, 2011 Ann Lorz rated it really liked it
You have to love a Sharon Sala book. The woman can write. I loved this book. The only problem I had with it was that the book was so long. We are talking over 400 pages. You quickly fall in love with John Nightwalker. He is the type of man that women dream of. A sexy man who knows how to love. A woman would be lucky to feel that love. Alicia Ponte is that lucky woman. When these two met years come together. You have to read the book to understand that. lol If your into suspense romance this book ...more
Sia McKye
Jun 20, 2009 Sia McKye rated it really liked it
What drew me was the premise. A bit different. I'm enjoying the way Sharon weaves in historical fact yet shows how John progresses over the years, the hints at his learning curve, which is very interesting and realistic. The flashes of remembrance of her characters. She highlights two powerful emotions and shows how closely they are intertwined.

So far, good build up of tension, good conflict--internal and external, great detail, realistic three dimensional characters you can relate to and care
Katie
Sep 14, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
This book is about a man named Nightwalker who becomes imortal to avenge his people of this greedy murderous man who keeps getting reincarnated until he is killed by nightwalker. It is a good book, the author did a good job. The only thing that I would have talken out was the explicit scenes between the Hero and Heroine. I guess I am just not comfortable with reading about other peoples intimacies.
Pamela(AllHoney)
John Nightwalker is destined to live until he succeeds in his revenge against the soul of the man who came to his village 500 years ago and slaughtered his people. One day he rescues a woman, Alicia Ponte, and feels the day of revenge may be near. Alicia is the daughter of the man who has the evil soul of his adversary.

Something a little different. The hero is over 500 years old. And yet only looks about 29. Sweet! A very heart wrenching story that worked for me.
Andrea
Jun 17, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it
Loved the "legend" beginning of the book. There are huge moments of hokeyness but I went into it knowing it was a romance.

I like the fact that the characters haven't just jumped into bed togehter and are actually having moments of compatibility and pure hate.

I'll probably read more of her stuff - gotta get past the feeling that I'm in classes reading work and not fun books.
Lyndi
Apr 16, 2016 Lyndi rated it it was ok
Shelves: heroine-ruins-it
Another awful heroine. When will authors stop saddling these strong alpha heroes with prissy wimpy women that don't have their heads screwed on straight? These guys deserve way better.

Still disappointing the second time around. The author never does tell us if Alicia accepts the truth about John's immortality.
Shannon
Jul 12, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
This was another great read! I do admit that at the beginning it was a bit slow, but it got better and better as the book went on. I read it in about 4 hours, another one I could not put down. I am definitely going to read more of Sharon Sala's books.
Peggy
Oct 29, 2014 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finised-books
Awesome Could Not Put It Down. when i frist started it i thought man this won'tbe very good but i kept reading and i was plesantly surprised it was one great book am i am soglad i read it.
one great auther dose it zgain.
rebecca j
The story of a warrior called to vengeance for his people, living for the day of his revenge. He has lived for centuries in his quest, and my have finally come close enough to his enemy's soul to win... but at what price. Will he lose the woman he loves for a second time?
Glenn Harris
Jan 12, 2012 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it
First-rate thriller about a young woman whose own father is out to kill her and the 500-year-old (but young-looking) Native American determined to protect her.
Joyce Hahnenkratt
Jan 01, 2011 Joyce Hahnenkratt rated it liked it
Interesting premise, strange ending. I probably won't read any of her others unless I have nothing else to read.
Mum
Sep 23, 2010 Mum rated it really liked it
Long, but a fast read. It seemed to gloss over unpleasant realities, so not great, but an enjoyable romance.
Janetlee
Jun 09, 2009 Janetlee rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! John Nightwalker is super-delicious! A good read! I don't always like all of Sharon Sala's books, but I do like the supernatural aspects of them.
Lindig
Jun 13, 2009 Lindig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Immortal Cherokee seeking killer of his people, reincarnated wife, her father the killer, all ends well (of course).
Agnes Ross
Mar 27, 2015 Agnes Ross rated it really liked it
A book that turns upside down our ideas of angels, the supernatural, reincarnation, and what is possible in the world long enough to enjoy a rousing good romantic read!
Lesli
Feb 17, 2016 Lesli rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, lm-lib-loan, 2016
One of the weakest Sharon Sala books I've read. It felt weirdly exploitive, not to mention the characters were flat and the connection between the H and h nearly non-existent.
  • The Perfect Lie
  • Dying for You (The Protectors, #30)
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Warrior's Heart
  • Beyond a Shadow (Smithson Group SG-5 #8)
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
  • Up Close and Personal
  • Love's Redemption
  • Scandal in Copper Lake
  • Blind Eye
  • Shadow on the Moon (The Werewolf, #1)
  • Breakpoint (High Risk, #4)
  • Again
  • Tall, Dark and Daring (Tall, Dark and Dangerous #7-8)
  • Outcast (Benedict Brothers, #1)
  • Snowed in with the Boss (Kenner County Crime Unit, #3)
  • Bronx Justice (Jaywalker, #2)
  • Daughter of Destiny (Sisters of the Ark, #1) (Silhouette Bombshell, #1)

Biography

Sharon Sala is a long-time member of RWA, as well as a member of OKRWA. She has 100 plus books in print, published in five different genres – Romance, Young Adult, Western, Fiction, and Women’s Fiction. First published in 1991, she’s an eight-time RITA finalist, winner of the Janet Dailey Award, five-time Career Achievement winner from RT Magazine, five time winner of the National Reader
More about Sharon Sala...

“As long as we draw breath, we owe it to the ones we loved and lost to live out our lives without wasting them on regrets.” 13 likes