Start by marking “Lola at the Library” as Want to Read:
Lola at the Library

Lola at the Library (Lola)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  874 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
Board book edition. Lola has a big smile on her face. Why? Because it's Tuesday--and on Tuesdays, Lola and her mommy go to the library. Join Lola in this cozy celebration of books and the people who love them.
Board Book, 16 pages
Published July 1st 2009 by Charlesbridge (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lola at the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lola at the Library

Qiana
Aug 09, 2007 Qiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is often a challenge to find children's books with black characters that aren't overwhelmed with historical narratives or self-affirming gobbly-gook (be like Harriet Tubman! You're special! No really!) The little touches make this book unique and lovely: Lola's soft cloud of unraveled hair when she wakes up, the way she kneels on the floor during story time at the library, or how her mom spoons a little cappuccino foam in her mouth during their snack-time. I read this book to my daughter almo ...more
Susan
Feb 20, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storybook, 2016
What a beautiful book! At the end of the story, I felt joyful.

The illustrations are spectacular.

Bonus points that the protagonist, Lola, happens to be both female and of African heritage and that there is diversity among the other characters.

I will be looking up other books by this author and in this series.
Lisa Vegan
Feb 10, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who love the library & books & read alouds; to introduce kids to how to use the library
The story is very simple: It’s about the weekly trip Lola and her mother make to the library, although it includes a bit about the rest of their day, including the bedtime story.

It may not be a flashy story, but it’s a great book for teaching kids about the library, and it’s a bit of a love letter to libraries and books, so of course I enjoyed it.

I really liked the illustrations too.

The author and illustrator are both English but it doesn’t have a particularly English flavor; this story could h
Kimberly OutspokenMom
Apr 28, 2013 Kimberly OutspokenMom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My family has fallen in love with this book. The text and illustrations are both top notch. But I must admit we fell in love with the illustrations immediately. They are superb!!!

Little Lola gets so much joy from her trip to the library that it truly is contagious. It's great for encouraging the love of books and reading. Thank yous to Anna McQuinn and Rosalind Beardshaw for giving me something I can feel good about sharing with my children. Something that positively reinforces our values (we ar
JMRL
Every Tuesday Lola and her mother visit their local library to return and check out books, attend story readings, and share a special treat.

Find at JMRL: http://goo.gl/BkqDuS
LauraEllen
Mar 18, 2015 LauraEllen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lola has the sweetest face. But Lola's mom needs some more fashionable shoes! (per Laura Baines' observation)
Laurie
May 28, 2015 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Melle
Jan 22, 2015 Melle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every human being ever
Recommended to Melle by: all my children's librarians
This belongs on the shelf with the holy books. Lola is the cutest little girl in the whole world and loves the library more than anyone else and is the most conscientious, responsible, adorable library user ever. This book features characters of color without it being the focus of the story, this book celebrates the love of libraries and learning and books and stories and Tuesdays, and this book made me so happy I cried.
Ashley Green
Oct 07, 2014 Ashley Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McQuinn, A. (2006). Lola at the library. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge Publishing.

Tumblebooks

Lola at the Library is a beautifully depicted tale of a young girl who shares her mother's love of the library. They go together each Tuesday, so this book follows the story of one of those very days. The Tumblebooks version places a special visual emphasis on the ideas the author discusses by zooming in on the illustration. They also add voices and music to the library, to provide reassurance that no on
Adrienne
Feb 16, 2014 Adrienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOLA AT THE LIBRARY
Review
===================
I unabashedly love this book. The illustrations are beautiful, detailed, and grounded in real life action. (For example, Lola is seen bending down to pick up her "very important" library card.)

The library is not the perfect place for all children--some children are not interested in books until much later or are too antsy to be ready for the library, but other children really respond to the library and to the idea of a special trip there.

I do not thi
Jasmyn H
Oct 06, 2014 Jasmyn H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs-642
McQuinn, A., & Beardshaw, R. (2006). Lola at the Library. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.

Review from School Library Journal

Choice

This book is about a young girl that is very excited for Tuesdays because Tuesday is library day! The author follows Lola's routine as she prepares to go to the library, what she does at the library, and what she does after leaving the library. I enjoyed this book because it reminded me of when I was a child and I went to the library's story time and the pictures wer
R
Feb 11, 2013 R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike another book en espanol about libraries I read recently, this one contains the word "book", as well as "scan" and "return". This is relevant to my interests.
Kari
Sep 18, 2014 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-bks-642
McQuinn, A., (2006). Lola at the library. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge Books.

School Library Journal July 2006

Tumblebooks

Lola and her mother share a very special mother/daughter tradition every Tuesday- a trip to the library. This endearing book is perfect to share with P-2nd grade students at the beginning of the school year to introduce a library's purpose, atmosphere, proper behavior, and check out procedures in a fun, easy-to-understand text. The simple, bright, colorful pictures are sure to
Suse
Jan 02, 2013 Suse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Does a great job of capturing the joy that many children have about the library. Lola is adorable.
Emelda
Cutest book EVER!
Kari
Jan 17, 2008 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers / preschoolers
Shelves: for-the-children
I realize I'm some kind of negligent boob, but tonight was the first time I took my 2 1/2 year old to the library. In my defense, I have a very spirited and physical child so I dreaded shushing her and containing her gigantic force of will. So, with my 5-month-old strapped to my chest and my toddler in tow (and I mean she was towing *me*), we took our first trip to the library tonight. I was rewarded for my efforts with the following:
--Bella tore books off the shelf and attempted to misfile the
Kristen Mcmahan
I did enjoy reading this short children's book. The story is about a little girl going to the library with her mother and why she enjoys it so much. The author follows Lola from the time she wakes up to go to the library to the time she goes to bed and her mother reads her one of the stories that she picked out that day. At first I was not planning on writing a review of this particular story that I read during a tutoring session, because I could not find an element of craft that stood out to me ...more
Renate Robey
This is a great book that incorporate organic diversity. Lola and her mother are black, just going about their daily routine which involves going to the library every Tuesday. Lola is very excited and loves her library visits. Of course, this is a great time to talk about libraries and all the books that are available. This book promotes print motivation with simple language that motivates the children to learn more about her library visit.
Yasmin Lucero
Jul 27, 2014 Yasmin Lucero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ellie-s-books, owned
This one is a favorite. The story is a simple "day in the life" narrative. It is sweet and highly relatable. It also features a dark skinned black family living a normal happy life---free of overwrought meditations on history, class, self acceptance, etc. Those stories have their place too, but it is lovely to see this little black girl just being a happy little girl that loves to read.
Dolly
Sep 01, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, library, 2010
How could I not like a book that mirrors the way I am with our girls? Faithfully, just about every Saturday we go to the library and return our old books and pick up countless more. Sometimes we go twice a week, visiting different libraries each time. And when our girls were younger, I would take as many Wednesdays or Thursdays off as I could to bring them to library storytime - I knew when each of our libraries had them and our girls loved it! And reading stories at bedtime...well that's just a ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Tuesday is Lola's favorite day of the week. Why? It's library day. Lola gets to pick out new books, play, and even listen to a story. The library is Lola's favorite place.

What I thought: I like Lola from the moment I met her in Lola Loves Stories. Her first book doesn't disappoint me. I now know where her love of stories comes from--her weekly visits to the library. The illustrations are bright and colorful. The lines are soft and don't overpower the color. My favorite illustration is of story t
Cheryl Belt-Jackson
Picture book
1-8 years old
Lola at the library is a detailed trip to the public library.
I like the fact that this book has detail step by step events of a little girl giong to the library. Kudos for having a library card, to visiting your neighborhood library, participating in storytime, and having a parent read to you everyday.
Kristen
Perfect intro for young children to the public library. Sweet illustrations of Lola greeting a baby in a stroller, picking her books, finding her library card, sitting quietly during story time, and the description of a librarian "buzzing the books through the machine" make it very accurate for a toddler's experience at the library.
Lindsay
I used this story for a libraries/reading/books theme for Spanish story time. I used the English version, Lola At the Library, for bilingual story time. The story shows Lola getting ready for her visit to the library, what happens when she's there, and what happens afterward. It's a good example of a book that facilitates children's narrative skills by asking children questions about the beginning, middle, and end of the book as it is being read and after the story is finished. Since my theme fo ...more
Dewey
Mar 28, 2016 Dewey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: st-books
Lola and her mom are going to the library! This is an adorable description of a visit to the library, and when we read it in storytime a lot of the parents laughed and related to various parts of it. Perfect for a toddler or preschool storytime.
Kim T.
Easily, this book gets five SUPER stars. It is absolutely wonderful. It does a great job of introducing the library and its many merits. Lola and her mother are seen engaging in something that will have a lifelong impact. Superb!!!
Maeghan Edwards
This book is about a young girl who takes a trip to the library with her mother every Tuesday. I think this would be a great book to encourage students to go to the library outside of school, maybe get a library card and go over summer break.
Sandra Guerfi
Take a trip to the local library with Lola and see what she gets up to. Simple, easy story about how kids learn to read and become confident in their ability.
Paula
Sep 08, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angelina
Nov 21, 2015 Angelina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the fact this book is about a little girl's love of the library! Illustrations are adorable! Short, sweet and special!
  • Please, Baby, Please
  • Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Shades of Black: A Celebration of Our Children
  • I Got the Rhythm
  • The Wonderful Book
  • Book Fiesta!: Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day; Celebremos El dia de los ninos/El dia de los libros
  • Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library
I am so lucky to spend my time working with books and stories. I work one day a week running groups for babies, toddlers and their parents at a local library; I spend two days a week writing and six days a week as publisher at the tiny independent publisher, Alanna Books.
In my spare time, I read - what a wonderful life!
There are some Children's Books on my shelves (obviously) but for a more compr
More about Anna McQuinn...

Lola (3 books)