Start by marking “The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow” as Want to Read:
The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This scarce antiquarian book is included in our special Legacy Reprint Series. In the interest of creating a more extensive selection of rare historical book reprints, we have chosen to reproduce this title even though it may possibly have occasional imperfections such as missing and blurred pages, missing text, poor pictures, markings, dark backgrounds and other reproduct ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1859)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Velvetink
Belonged to my great grandfather, inscribed 'Jan Ist 1898'.
Needs restoration repairs. ;(
DJ Seifert
I was prompted to get this old, rare book out in an effort to rad a few lines mentioned in some recent reading, viz. "Birds of Passage." I have not actually read the entire collection, but I am glad to have this piece of history. However, I do not altogether like Longfellow as he is one of the American school-room poets who represents the ideas and aspirations of a young nation, yet he was a masterful storytelling.

I have laid down the book again and may pick up when prompted.
Hank Drews
The flavor of poetry in the Victorian Era was sweet and rythmic but long and somber. I thoroughly enjoyed again favoites such as the Children's Hour and the Village Blacksmith. I was surprrised by the epic length of Song of Hiawatha and Evangeline; amused and intriged by The Skeleton in Armor and The Wreck of the Hesperus. Shorter works served to give me an appreciation of a seasoned, kinder, gentler time.
Lisa Asanuma
Sep 13, 2009 Lisa Asanuma is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
My copy is from 1899. It's probably the most beautiful book that I own, and I've had it for almost eight and a half years, so it's a bit shameful I haven't read through it yet. I love Longfellow, though. He's probably the most underrated poet of the 19th century.
I thoroughly enjoy Longfellow's poems. While visiting a friend in Maine over Spring Break in college one year, I was able to go and visit the lighthouse he often went to write. (I have a picture there too.)
Andre
My copy is called the "Household Edition with Illustrations." It was published by Houghton, Mifflin and Company, Boston and New York
The Riverside Press, Cambridge 1894
Cimmerian76
THE COMPLETE POETICAL WORKS OF HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW by HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW (1902)
April
April marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Zachary
Zachary is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
Andd Becker
Andd Becker marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Melissa Blanz
Melissa Blanz marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
anne routon
anne routon marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Jferrara
Jferrara marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Tamara haggard
Tamara haggard marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Krista Cox
Krista Cox marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
  • Greek Lyrics
  • Complete Poems, 1913-1962
  • The Collected Works, Vol. 1: The Poems
  • Collected Poems of Robert Service
  • Six Centuries of English Poetry from Tennyson to Chaucer: Typical Selections from the Great Poets (1892)
  • The Rape of the Lock and Other Poems
  • The Book of American Negro Poetry
  • Poetical Works
  • The Poems of Robert Browning
  • Complete Verse
  • The Black Poets
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere The Song of Hiawatha Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie Favorite Poems Poems and Other Writings (Library of America #118)

“Think not, because no man sees
Such things will remain unseen”
4 likes
“Let us, then, be what we are, and speak what we think, and in all things Keep ourselves loyal to truth, and the sacred professions of friendship. It is no secret I tell you, nor am I ashamed to declare it: I have liked to be with you, to see you, to speak with you always.” 2 likes