Start by marking “Jonas (Beautiful Dead, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jonas (Beautiful Dead, #1)

Jonas (Beautiful Dead #1)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,262 Ratings  ·  394 Reviews
Something strange is happening in Ellerton High. Phoenix is the fourth teenager to die within a year. His street fight stabbing follows the deaths of Jonas, Summer and Arizona in equally strange and sudden circumstances.
Rumours of ghosts and strange happenings rip through the small community as it comes to terms with shock and loss. Darina,Phoenix's grief-stricken girlfri
Published April 2nd 2009 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jonas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonas

Marked by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson NoelFallen by Lauren KateThe Awakening / The Struggle by L.J. SmithTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Series I've Given Up On...
148th out of 851 books — 3,271 voters
Noughts & Crosses by Malorie BlackmanFinding Sky by Joss StirlingThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonNorthern Lights by Philip PullmanEntangled by Cat Clarke
Young Adult fiction by UK authors
24th out of 295 books — 340 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
This book irked me for many reasons... (Listed in the order that they annoyed me as I read it)

Firstly, the names! How many people do you know with names like Phoenix, Arizona, Darina and HUNTER (esp as he would have been named aaages ago... not exactly a realistic name)? Now, does practically everyone you know have kinda kooky names like that? Probably not! It's fine to have odd names for your SIMs or whatever, but not in books!!!!

Secondly, all the Twilight copying..... I mean, obviously it got
Rach Arthur
Sep 11, 2009 Rach Arthur rated it it was ok
"I miss you so much. It hurts so much. More than an ache- a sharp pain, like a knife in my heart."

"And now I'm holding you, I can see your blue eyes, feel your soft lips."

My god. I can't believe there's actually a book MORE dramatic than Twilight out there.
Kim
Apr 07, 2010 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Olivia
It was the plot (and the cover, to be honest) that made me pick up this book. I was hoping for an epic story of love, angels and horror. But unfortunately, I didn't get that. I really love the idea for this series, and it could have been really good! But it wasn't.

All the characters were boring. Flat. It feels like the author was like "Okay, so I've got this good idea. But damn it, I can't write a book without characters!" The were all kind of predictable and without any personalities. If I had
Kristen
I have to be very honest about this book. I didn't like it. The beginning confused the snot out of me. In the opening scene, Darina is in the middle of nowhere looking at an old decrepit house. No clue why she's there, but her boyfriend Pheonix just died two days ago and low and behold he is there, with 3 other dead kids and a guy described as "An older guy, with grey hair". And to be honest, the descriptions of characters does not progress - at all. One of the girls is described as "fair-haired ...more
Kristine
Nov 17, 2011 Kristine rated it did not like it
I am trying to think of one redeemable thing about this book and I find myself coming up short. At some point in the third chapter I decided to take notes on the things I disliked about the book, but there were so many that it was taking too long for me to read the book and I just wanted to be done with it. There are so many things wrong with this book; the characters were un-relatable, the situations were unbelievable, the setting was just stupid. Just about every sentence I came across somethi ...more
Rems
May 24, 2009 Rems rated it liked it
Shelves: just-books, youth
I think I really, really, really wanted to like this book when I picked it up. The premise looked good. The cover looked good, dark and mysterious. But it just didn't quite cut it. I've been fumbling with the idea of giving this three stars or more, or less, but I think it's three. I did enjoy it - not as much as I wanted to - and some parts of it irked me off unbelievably. But it gave me suspense when I needed it, some of the romance orientated stuff finally cut out of being corny and sounded b ...more
Connie
Jul 01, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it
Source: I own this book
Cost: It was a gift

Title: Jonas
Series: The Beautiful Dead #1
Author: Eden Maguire
Overall Rating: 3.9

Darina has lost everything, her one true love died. Stabbed to death in a gang fight. And now as she wonders aimlessly in the Alpines near her house, she comes across an old farmhouse with her dead boyfriend Phoenix inside, along with three other dead kids and she truly believes she has gone insane. But if there’s a chance that Phoenix is really there, and really a
Nora Cayetano
Feb 29, 2016 Nora Cayetano rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Gente que disfrutó la saga Crepúsculo
Mientras espero a que mi copia de Days of Magic, Nights of War cruce la aduana, ¿qué mejor que dedicarme a leer libros tranquilos y que no me hagan pensar en exceso? Además, este cuenta una historia que SEGURAMENTE nadie había contado antes...

Phoenix, el guapo e inteligente, pero rebelde novio de Darina, no está vivo ni muerto. Todo mundo en el pueblo lo da por muerto y sepultado, menos ella, que lo ha visto congregado junto a otros muertos recientes en una granja oculta en medio del bosque.
Lo
John
May 06, 2010 John rated it really liked it
Title: Beautiful Dead

Author: Eden Maguire

Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire

This book made me completely and utterly stumped as to how to rate it. I had seen it in stores, and loved the premise and cover, but never picked it up. When I got offered an ARC from teensreadtoo, I jumped on the chance. And I still can't figure it out. On one hand, it wasn't amazing, and has first-novel-in-series syndrome, on the other...it was fun and slightly dark and cool to read.

Eden Maguire introduces us to our protagoni
Siobhan
Mar 14, 2015 Siobhan rated it liked it
The concept of the book made it an enjoyable quick read. It was something different compared to what the usual teenage books are offering up (in the sense that this is not a vampire love story). However, I found the main character to be somewhat of a cliché: almost as though the usual love-struck teenage girl from the vampire stories had been thrown into something different.

Nevertheless, the idea itself is great if you’re looking for a quick read. Plus the way it is set out leaves you curious to
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating: 4.05

This book was a great read. I thought the story was good and the characters were awesome. The story did tend to make me bored at times, but the ending made the book worth the read. I thought that the premise to be unique and different. Definitely recommend to fans of the YA genre. It is great, but there could have been improvements to the story to make it amazing. Can't wait to read the next book! Arizona...here I come.
Ellz Readz
Feb 16, 2010 Ellz Readz rated it really liked it
My thoughts... BLINK. This book was very easy to read and I literally devoured it. When I first saw the cover, I thought "looks very cool". Then I read I heard the word zombies and thought, UGG, but forged ahead anyway. Let me just say that I am so glad I did.

The plot of the story was very unique. Darina found her recently deceased boyfriend alive and well, surrounded by his undead classmates. No vampires, zombies, but not it the theatrical sense. The book held something for everyone, mystery,
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 08, 2010 Dark Faerie Tales rated it liked it
Quick & Dirty: A good first entry to what promises to be an interesting paranormal series.

Opening Sentence: The first thing I heard was a door banging in the wind.

The Review:

First Jonas, then Summer, followed by Arizona, and now Phoenix is the fourth student from Ellerton High to die within a year. Darina, Phoenix’s girlfriend is caught in the grip of grief’s talons and having a hard time dealing with his death. Then Phoenix appears with the sound of beating wings and tells her about the Bea
McKenzie
Mar 21, 2010 McKenzie rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Elterton High is odd, and strange things are happening. Four students have died within the last year, Phoenix being the most recent. Phoenix was Darina's boyfriend, and now she's going crazy. She's having headaches and is always hearing wings beating. Then she stumbles upon an old barn where she sees Phoenix and the other dead students gathered together - their spirits that is. They call themselves the Beautiful Dead. What is going on and how can Darina help them?

I'll keep this review short and
Darkfallen
Feb 26, 2011 Darkfallen rated it it was ok
So I will try to keep this short and sweet.

Darina's boyfriend Pheonix gets stabbed in a fight. He was trying to defend his brother, Brandon, and lost his life for it. No one knows who exactly was responsible for his death. This wasn't the only tragedy in this town however. Over the last year 4 teenager's have lost their lives in various "accidents". While the town morns the loss of these teenagers things begin to happen. Darina sick over losing Pheonix, can't eat or sleep, and now she is seeing
GateGypsy
Jun 07, 2009 GateGypsy rated it it was ok
I'm less forgiving than some reviewers. I wanted so desperately to like this book. There are elements of it that I really appreciated (the fact that Darina was capable of standing up for herself, the fact that she knew how to say "no.") I also really appreciated that her relationship with Phoenix, although physical, was not all about sex, and that he was interested in her well-being and an attentive boyfriend.

A few things would have improved this book. One of them would have been completely omit
Lilith
May 23, 2011 Lilith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tengo muchísimos libros pendientes, deberia terminar de leer El Diosero, Colección Marquez de Sade, La divina comedia y Hex Hall, que deje' pendientes por las semanas tan ocupadas que tuve este mayo, pero hoy que fui al mercado y vi su seccion de libros tuve que aprovechar que tenían el 20% de descuento y me hice de este libro que le tenía ganas desde hace rato. En lo que esperaba en el banco me puse a leerlo y me encanché tanto que no pude soltarlo.

El libro me ha encantado, me atrapó desde el
Dec 30, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Davina is 17, and has recently lost the love of her life Phoenix in a fight which ending in him being stabbed and bleeding to death. She's struggling to come to terms with it, but Phoenix is not the first teen to have died in her year. Over the past 12 months Jonas has died in a bike crash, Arizona has drowned, and Summer has been shot.

Walking in the woods one day Davina comes across a barn, and inside are four people she recognises - Phoenix, Jonas, Arizona, and Summer. All are pale and beautif
Mariné Ponce
Aug 05, 2010 Mariné Ponce rated it it was ok
uff al fin se ha acabado, pensé que nunca llegaría al final.
...Llevo una racha últimamente...

60% de culpa: La Traducción
What a pity de book... ¿Por qué hacen esas cosas? Es realmente deprimente que una traducción aniquile (véase también matar, destruir, masacrar) un libro de esa manera. Con lo que se gastaron en la portada podrían haberse estirado un poquito más con los traductores (y sé de muy buena fuente que hay muchos en paro). Ya sé que la crisis nos afecta a todos, pero...

Al leerlo me cost
Alexis Steven
Jun 24, 2015 Alexis Steven rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prestados
No saben, yo de este libro esperaba mucho hasta que una compañera bloggera me dijo que ella no pudo continuar leyendo, porque simplemente no es bueno. Entonces, cuando tenía las expectativas en ceros lo empecé creyendo que a mí me gustaría más, dejándome llevar por esa hermosa portada, por esa chica alada que tal vez me daría una historia que disfrutaría en cada página, pero triste realidad… no es para nada una historia que le haga justicia a la portada.

La historia nos cuenta la desdicha que suf
Erik Saenz
May 14, 2013 Erik Saenz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OMG, que libro tan aburrido, y con una de las peores protagonistas ever, o sea se le muere el novio con el que solo tenia saliendo 2 meses, y ya se quiere morir por que era el amor de su vida (Are u fucking kiddin me?) y cuando se le aparece, como si nada la tipa ni se sorprende ni nada. El "misterio" es mas aburrido y sin chiste que te da igual lo que haya pasado y solo quieres terminar el libro. Ni para pasar un rato esta. Si no tienes NADA pero NADA que hacer, se fue la luz, no tienes pila en ...more
Caitt
Jul 17, 2015 Caitt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
me ha gustado, pero ahí se ha quedado simplemente en gustarme, esta entretenido pero poco más
Emily Scott
Feb 18, 2016 Emily Scott rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fast paced readers.
Shelves: owned-books
3/5 Stars!

The concept of this story is actually very good and intriguing. I learnt to find out that every book in the saga is named and focused on a different dead teenager 'The Beautiful Dead'. I first picked this book up second hand the cover really brought me in and it kind of looked like a manga cover, maybe it was the font? The girl on the front was who I thought Jonas was before reading then I found out it was the main perspective 'Darina'. I enjoyed reading this book at times, I really wa
Lee Yung
Mar 08, 2014 Lee Yung rated it did not like it
This book was such a brick to get through - i've spent 9 days finishing this. I finished Breaking Dawn in less - 3 days. That tells you something about this. It is bland, boring and brings nothing new to the book scene. Many things annoyed the heck out of me, in this book. It started out okay - not promising well-written, but decent. But i'm just so annoyed...
Firstly - the characters. I have no problem what so ever with Eden Maguire giving the characters unique names - it makes them different,
Kirsty (overflowing library)
i enjoyed this book on the whole as it was a new take on the gendre. I did have a few complaints however. The main character is a wimp and not all that likeable. When reading it, it feels like a section should be on the front to introduce her - which would probably make me like her more. I also didn't like the outcome and though the morals of the story were somewhat odd and not really appropriate for the age group the book is intended for.
Lucia
Oct 19, 2011 Lucia rated it really liked it
Táto kniha má celkom zaujímavú a peknú myšlienku, autor nám do príbehu síce zamotal nesmrteľných, no zároveň im nechal len 12 mesiacov tejto nesmrteľnosti.

Darina sa síce sem tam správa ako Bella (Súmrak), ale sa mám takéto knihy rada, až tak veľmi mi to nevadilo.

Celkovo na mňa kniha pôsobila príjemne a oddychovo. Mám rada takýto typ knižiek.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 04, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is a really excellent and quite unusual novel. The main character is Darina, a girl who has lost her boyfriend in a motocycle accident. She's missing him terribly until the day she is out in the country and runs across him and several other students, all of whom she knows died.

Except they are only sort-of dead. Apparently some spirits of dead people who died with questions surrounding their death are able to come back to this world and have a limited time to find out what actually happened
Alexandra
Dec 22, 2010 Alexandra rated it did not like it
This book was awful. Truly awful. No description of the characters. They were so flat and two dimensional. Almost like ideas of characters. I didn't connect with or feel a thing for any of them. It was a cheesy, predictable, horrible story. I'm trying to think of one redeeming quality about it and I can't.
Veronika
Jan 25, 2015 Veronika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
4 stars

Quite a good story where I didnt really know what to expect.
The characters were fine, storyline interesting and the main idea interesting, what I was a bit confused by is the ending with the re-watching - why didnt they do it sooner??
Otherwise it was ok :)
  • My So Called Death (Dead High, #1)
  • The Hunt (Dark Touch, #2)
  • Beautiful Beings (Beautiful Beings, #1)
  • Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1)
  • Love Struck
  • Solstice at Stonewylde (Stonewylde, #3)
  • Walk of the Spirits (Walk, #1)
  • Alliance in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #1)
  • Betrayal (Empty Coffin, #2)
  • Dark Heart Rising (Dark Heart, #2)
  • Daemon Eyes (Daemons, Inc., #1 & #2)
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
  • The Julian Game
  • I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It
  • Possessions (Possessions, #1)
  • Secret Society (Secret Society, #1)
  • Blood Ties (Darke Academy, #2)
  • Das Drachentor
2772067
Eden Maguire graduated from Birmingham University with a PhD in English Lit and now lives in the Yorkshire Dales with her two daughters, her horse, Merlin, plus a dog and a cat.

She spends part of each year at a ranch in Colorado, where she rides alone in the mountains – her idea of perfect happiness.

Whenever she can, she loves to indulge her passion for travel and take in the world's major citie
More about Eden Maguire...

Beautiful Dead (4 books)
  • Arizona (Beautiful Dead, #2)
  • Summer (Beautiful Dead, #3)
  • Phoenix (Beautiful Dead, #4)

“I sat on the barn floor wishing that the storm would gather me up and hurl me against the mountains, smashing me into a thousand pieces.” 4 likes