Start by marking “Folly” as Want to Read:
Folly

Folly

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Jamie Ballantyne and Artemis King were never meant to fall in love. The feud between their families has run for three generations.

But whatever Jamie's head might tell him, his heart will always belong to Artemis. After fifty years, perhaps it's time for the Kings and the Ballantynes to bury the hatchet.

Then Jamie and Artemis start to uncover their shared past. What they f
Published 2008 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Folly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Folly

Fluffychick
He might get knocked, but I do find Alan Titchmarsh's books enjoyable...a bit like a duvet day with a mug of coffee and a whole packet of jaffa cakes. Usual type of romance set within a feud between two families, the world of art and Oxford Uni.
Ninja Neko
Full disclosure: I have a big soft spot for Alan Titchmarsh. I think he's neat. I loved watching all his gardening shows growing up, and I still watch him present Chelsea every year. And somewhere over the years I must have mentioned (ahem, gushed about) this to my friend, because when he spotted an Alan Titchmarsh book in Waterstone's discount corner he bought it for me. Did I knew he wrote books he asked. Well yes, but that's because I'd read somewhere he's credited for writing the worst sex s ...more
Sharon Jeffery
Five friends meet at Oxford Uni in 1949. In 2007 their lives are still linked. The chapters in the book alternate between these two dates. The story flows well and explains how what has happened in the past has a major impact for the characters in the present. An enjoyable read and interesting conclusion!
Kim
Feb 13, 2011 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I've read a couple of Alan Titchmarsh books before- and loved this one that my dad passed on to me. It was about a group of art students who left Uni and basically lost contact with each other for various reasons. Harry lost the love of his life to Richard King. Years later they had businesses in Bath and their grandchildren met and fell in love. The animosity between the two families causes trouble- and the book explores the reason why their relationship is fraught with problems. It goes back i ...more
Sarah Tucker
Another day of chilling book. Feel good easy reads bit of romance and fun ... Must read
Yvonne Savage
I quite enjoyed this - surprisingly
Nick 2E0NAQ
Dec 09, 2010 Nick 2E0NAQ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tracy
Shelves: 2010
Another good book by Alan Titchmarsh. I thought how the story kept going back a couple of year made the story more interesting too. The art world can hind a lot of secrets and it came make very old friends fall out for years. I felt sorry for Jamie and Missy as they were the next generation that were caught up in the two familys’ feud and they did not know half what went on way before they were born. Jamie and Missy were the two who were being punished for their two family’s fall out.

THIS IS A M
David Lindley
A lighthearted read, with an interesting twist. Probably good for female garden ears.
Jan
Lovely romance story. The book was two stories told in parallel, that came together at the end. The story of 5 students at Oxford university at the end of the first world war, and the story of two of their grandchildrem more than 50 years later. A bit like Romeo and Juliet in parts, the two families are engaged in a feud. The details of which eventually become clear. A complex plot with several twists and turns it was a delightful story.
Ron Smith
One of Alan more enjoyable books. The characters were well drawn, if a bit too upper - middle class and well-to-do and the story moved on a pace, switching between the past and the present. The plot was well developed but the denouement was a little too contrived. For that, only 3 stars, but an enjoyable read nonetheless and I cared what happened next.
Gillian
A good comeback after Love & Dr Devon, which was a little weak. This is a mch more complex story than Alan normally gives us. The story centres around two families over the course of three generations. It was a lovely warm feelgood story that keeps you entertained and interested in the characters and how they are developing. A very enjoyable story.
Michael Booth
I absolutely loved reading this book.
It has a very relaxing plot, and reminds you of your youth, your first love if you had one.
Alan Titchemarshe has never been a favorite of mine, but this book is one of my favorites.
Interesting characters, not a great story line, but relaxing and easy going nonetheless.
Oct 11, 2012 Laura rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: high school and up
Shelves: 2012
A pretty contrived and trite story. The only interesting thing worth the read is learning more about the artist Sir Alfred Munnings. To learn more about him, I would recommend wikipedia and not waste the time with this silly book
Sharon Thomson
A classic chick lit, easy reading book with the expected happy ending.

It passed away a few hours and although it was mind-bendingly complicated it was a pleasant read. Just what you need on a plane.
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
I have loved all Alan's books and this was also very good!

I started it last night on night duty and finished it it in about 12 hours.
Justine
Like a Romeo and Juliet. Their grandfather's both loved the same woman and only one won so major friction between two families.
Ann Thomas
The first Alan Titchmarsh book I've read. Very well written, love story with a good twist. Romeo and Juliet style.
Helen
A great easy read. back iand forth in time keeps you on your toes.
Sarah Ward
Didn't finish this, not as good as I thought it was going to be :-(
Wendy
I usually enjoy this author, but I couldnt stand this
Fiona Beattie
Slow to start but kept intrigued to the end
Sandra
awful why do tv celebs? think they can write!!
Jackie
Not really my cup of tea.
Stuart
Ok for a love story.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Sarah Mains
Sarah Mains is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Ballroom Class
  • It Had to Be You
  • Class (Maggie Adair #1)
  • Just A Family Affair (Honeycote, #3)
  • Pip
  • Echoes of the Dance
  • Happy Birthday
  • The Last Of The Great Romantics
  • Hell Bent (Brady Coyne, #27)
  • The Little Village School
  • Changing Grooms
  • The Italian Wedding
  • It's the Little Things
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
  • Monster: an Austrian Nightmare: The Story Of Josef Fritzl And His 24-year Reign Of Terror
  • Just Say Yes