Start by marking “The Ruins” as Want to Read:
The Ruins

The Ruins

3.49  ·  Rating Details ·  23,643 Ratings  ·  2,734 Reviews
While partying on holiday in Cancun two young American couples befriend a German tourist named Mathias, and three friendly Greeks. Mathias had been travelling with his brother, Heinrich, who's disappeared off to the Mayan ruins with a woman working on an archaeological dig. Mathias is worried for his brother and, using a hand-drawn map Heinrich had left behind, sets off in ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Bantam Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Ruins, please sign up.

Kemper
Jul 02, 2008 Kemper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott Smith’s wrote one of my favorite crime novels with A Simple Plan that released in 1993. Thirteen years later came his second book, The Ruins which instantly became one of my favorite horror novels. I’ve got my fingers crossed that sometime later this decade he’ll write another one and maybe it’ll turn out to be the greatest sci-fi epic I’ve ever read.

The concept here is dirt simple. Idiots go somewhere they shouldn’t and bad shit happens. In this particular case four American college stud
Aaron
Aug 30, 2007 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans
Stephen King has a short story (that I believe may have been entitled "The Raft") in which four college students head out to an old rock quarry. They swim out to a raft in the middle of the lake. As the afternoon progresses, they notice what appears to be a patch of oil skimming the surface of the water. One of the students dives into the lake for a post-coital swim and is mysteriously and grotesquely devoured by the oil patch, his skin pretty much being stripped right from its bones. Now horrif ...more
Dan Schwent
Feb 10, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dan by: Kemper, Trudi
Shelves: horror, 2014
Matt
Oct 03, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I’ve always had this conception that the horror genre, be it books or movies, are meant to be scary. So that’s how I’ve judged various entries in the field. Did this [book or movie] scare me? Mostly, the answer is no. Real life itself is so terrifying that fictional fears really don’t do anything for me. After all, no monster springing from an author’s imagination is quite so terrifying as my student debt load.

While reading Scott Smith’s The Ruins, it occurred to me that my concept of horror is
Trudi
***Please indulge me while I float this older review for a horror novel that remains near and dear to my heart. If you are looking for some genuine thrills and chills this Halloween season, this may be the book for you. Happy All Hallow's Read!

I just don't get the storm of criticism aimed at Scott Smith's second novel, The Ruins. Why do people love to hate this book? I found the story to be brutally convincing and the characters believable (if not always very likable). These are college-age kid
Campbell
Mar 08, 2008 Campbell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
Adam
Aug 12, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott Smith's The Ruins is one of the best horror novels I've read in some time. It would be really easy for me to rip into it. The premise is, frankly, ridiculous, and its plot is nothing but doom and gloom. So why did I love it so much? Simply because it was completely convincing, engrossing, and terrifying. I don't think I have ever found myself squirming as much while reading as I was for this book's last 20 pages or so.

I think The Ruins works as well as it does because of Smith's writing an

Enough said.
Cody
Apr 18, 2017 Cody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It'd been a while since I read a book that horrified, sickened, and amazed me in equal measure; The Ruins did all those things with ease. I was shocked at just how much I loved this novel. I did not expect it to totally blow me away. The characters are mostly unlikable and infuriating, and I must admit I had trouble reading about them at first, but that's the point — being trapped in the jungle and fighting for one's life brings out the very worst in a person.

This is a brutal, agonizing read. Th
Tom Mathews
The buzz is that this is an extremely graphic novel so I have put off reading it for several years. Now that I have read it, or listened to it actually, I'm not going to disagree with the buzz but I am going to say that this was easily one of the best horror novels I've ever read. I wouldn't change a thing about it.
Dirk Grobbelaar

Are you lost?

Jeepers – this novel was hard to read! Not because it was bad by any means, but because of the harrowing situation the author creates for his characters.

The Ruins features some pretty explicit descriptive imagery. I’m not sure whether I would describe it as an overly “gory” novel though. The blood and guts sequences are treated with the clinical detachment of a surgeon: that’s to say, it’s pretty bloody but isn’t all that messy. Except, of course, when it is…

What really got to me
Sadie Hartmann
Apr 18, 2017 Sadie Hartmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll start this review off with a quote from a fellow Goodreads buddy, Edward
"That's one of the things I loved about this book. All the characters were either assholes or idiots."

And this is the truth.

What would happen if a bunch of idiots/assholes vacationed in Cancun and stupidly went into the jungle looking for a stranger's lost brother without proper attire, supplies or even at the very BASIC LEVEL, a way to get back home?
You can read all about one author's imaginative tale of just that very
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 02, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jzhunagev
Tressa
Jul 28, 2007 Tressa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I am always amazed at the low ratings this book gets. I thoroughly enjoyed it and even listened to the book on CD, which made the story even more intriguing.

Four young Americans about to enter graduate school or begin new jobs back home are relaxing in Cancun, Mexico, soaking up too much sun and tequila. At their hotel they befriend a group of Greek men and a German. The German’s brother has gone missing after becoming smitten with a woman and following her to a Mayan archaeological dig in the j
Rachel
loved it! I remember the movie but not well, so I went into the book almost fresh. Gruesome and well-written read. the characters were all kind of annoying, but I also think they were realistic. And as someone who went on a Mayan archaeological dig as part of her curriculum in college I had an extra connection to the plot, lol.
Richard
Apr 28, 2017 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
7.5/10

Not as enjoyable as his other book, “A Simple Plan” but still an interesting read overall. Why won’t this guy write a little quicker? Two books in over a decade isn’t prolific enough for my liking, especially when they're this good!!! Do what I demand and write more!

This is a complete change in style to his other book, this is more horror of the human vs. nature type but also the horrors of being a human and the choices we have to make in certain situations. The characters are flawed and
Horace Derwent
Apr 28, 2016 Horace Derwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The power of syntax and lexicalogy

And it's just a mindfuck, hail!

the hardcover edition received, HELLYEAH

life is ephemeral, many books in ours just can't get the chance of being read twice, but absolutely not for this book \m/
Delroy
Aug 12, 2007 Delroy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This may be the worst book that I have ever read in much the same way that I feel Mission to Mars is the worst movie I have ever seen. There is plenty of crap out there, but sometimes a piece of crap manages to find itself in the shoe-shine pile and gets lots of money thrown at it and gets splashy reviews and buys out the front rack at the distribution center for the arts and you are in a hurry to get your culture on so you don't see that the polish this turd has been given barely managed to mak ...more
Kimberly
Loved the tension in this one!

**Re-read** CD S/L version: I think I picked up a lot more on the "environmental" elements in the beginning of the story this time around. :) This remains on the favorites shelf!
Joey-Joey-Jo-Jo
Oct 27, 2007 Joey-Joey-Jo-Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who might purchase my copy
description
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

You know that old saying “timing is everything”? I have a feeling this book would have received a 5-Star rating from me rather than 4 had I not ran across a little ARC called The Troop several months ago. Upon my reading (and ranting and raving and begging every horror lover and their dog to read said ARC), a plethora of my GR friends started recommending The Ruins to me. Since I’m an idiot, I immediately forgot about it. Months later,
Bark's Book Nonsense
I just listened to this on unabridged audio. Having seen the movie a few years ago, I was expecting it to be a decent body horror tale of survival and I wasn’t disappointed on those two counts. But I’d be lying if I said I enjoyed the book more than the movie. The movie was suspenseful and to the point and brutal and it was only 90 minutes long so there wasn’t a lot of time spent with the characters. The audio though was nearly 11+ hours long and I had to spend way too much time with these chara ...more
Sara Thompson
Apr 07, 2008 Sara Thompson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let's start with the good. Or the less bad. The idea of the story is interesting. Being in another country is scary and this capitalizes that idea. I wish the metaphor of language barrier and communication had been played out more fully.

My chief complaints with this book are as follows:
- The characters were cardboard cutouts of real characters. Two dimensional and stereotypical.
- The women in this novel are useless. 100% USDA uselessness. See above.
- Honestly, why didn't the Greek speak Eng
Christina
Paul
Jun 15, 2017 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Several days after reading this, I had to go back and give it a 5 star rating. This mother****** is still bouncing around in my head like crazy. A sure sign something was done very right.
Veeral

I like watching TV-shows because (obviously) we all know that we are living in the golden age of television. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Mr. Robot, The Walking Dead, and of course Game of Thrones (to name a few), have changed the way we look at television. Gone are the days when people were waiting for the next summer blockbuster, no, they are actually waiting to see what the blue meth cook would do next. BrBa left a big hole in every fan's life when it finished. And while TWD is not always up to the
Olivier Delaye
Sep 19, 2016 Olivier Delaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good horror story that will change the way you look at your potted plants and/or garden forever...

OLIVIER DELAYE
Author of the SEBASTEN OF ATLANTIS series
The Forgotten Goddess (Sebasten of Atlantis, #1) by Olivier Delaye
Carol
Jun 18, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Susan MO
Shelves: ebook, horror, read-2014
I think I'll just begin by saying YIKES! I'm always looking for a super scary book to read come October and this one certainly gave me the creeps!

The story begins as four (partying) American college students on vacation in Cancun join up with a Greek man (major language barrier here) and agree to help a German tourist find his missing brother. Ill-prepared and with only a crude map to guide them, they all set out to locate an archaeological dig site in a remote Mexican jungle.......and what they

Rossy
Nov 05, 2014 Rossy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Science Fiction book (yaaay!).
I've always been a fan of gore/blood/death.in.weird.ways films, so I decided to read this book after watching the film many times, so if you liked the movie, you'll kind of like the book, too. It's more graphic, scary, terrifying, creepy, dark...
I give it only three stars, because even though I enjoyed the book, the characters ruined it for me. I know, they are supposed to be realistic, but they ended up as obnoxious, only Jeff was likeable and sma
  • Incarnate
  • The Lost
  • The Summer I Died (The Roger Huntington Saga, #1)
  • Dweller
  • Naomi's Room
  • The Cipher
  • The Amulet
  • Sparrow Rock
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • The Ritual
  • The Terror
  • Dead Sea
  • The Descent
  • Let's Go Play At The Adams'
  • Urban Gothic
  • Island
  • Hell House
  • The Unblemished
Scott Bechtel Smith is an American author and screenwriter. He has published two suspense novels, A Simple Plan and The Ruins, and adapted them for the screen.

(from wikipedia)
More about Scott B. Smith...