Start by marking “Brand-New Emily” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  350 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Everyone at Wright Middle School knows you should not make an enemy of the uber-clique that fourteen-year-old Emily Wood calls The Daisies. But that's exactly what she has done, and now she's paying the price...until Emily stumbles onto some top-secret gossip about a teen heartthrob and finds herself in the good graces of a top New York PR firm. Now--with an ace publicist ...more
Published June 9th 2009 by Tricycle Press (first published June 2009)

Jan
Oct 30, 2009 Jan rated it liked it
Emily is the new girl in town, but worse than that, she's the target of the uber-classy "Daisies," who take every opportunity to humiliate her. Fortunes begin to turn for Emily when she discovers that her uncle the cop is working security for hot young actor Colby Summers. Emily wangles an intro and an interview, and then embarks on the boldest adventure of her life - the re-branding of Emily, now known as "Em." With brilliant - and almost unbelievable assistance from Colby's publicist, Em sets ...more
Angela
Nov 25, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
"I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Really cool people and nerds have one thing in common: they're different from everyone else. They're weird. The thing is, though, nerds are ashamed of being weird, while cool people celebrate it."
--From Brand-New Emily by Ginger Rue

A super-cool teen book about identity, self-confidence, old-fashioned values, and cutting-edge publicity.

Brand-New Emily teaches the basics of public relations, sales, and marketing and applies those skills to a popularity
Polina Litvinova
Feb 14, 2014 Polina Litvinova rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Junior high school students
Recommended to Polina by: I found thids book in the library
Ginger Rue perfectly conveys all feelings of Emily, the main character of the novel "Brand - new Emily".
Emily is a new girl in the school and girls named "Daises" are bulling her. But later she finds out that popular rock-star Colby Summers is not 17 years old teenager. Because it will totally ruin his life, he ask Emily don't tell anyone. If she will keep his secret, he will help with her popularity in the school.
When I am reading this book I can understand each character of this book, what the
Nothing
May 24, 2012 Nothing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting. At first it was pretty outlandish, but if you step back and look at it as an analogy of sorts, it makes a lot more sense and suddenly feels more believable.
One can look at it as a statement about the obvious; popularity, bullyinh & staying true to yourself, and in many ways it was. But it was about much mire, the image that we project to the world (in a sense Em & Colby Summers were dealing with the same issue. The idea of Emily "becoming" Em (essentially becoming H
07BrittanyO
by: Ginger Rue
240 pages

Fourteen year old Emily Wood is getting bullied by the "popular" girl at school. Her self-esteem is low and she wants other people to like her and take down the bully. She then hires a publacist and together they create "Brand Em". Emily changes her hair, clothes, and even part of her personality. However, did she really change for the best? When Emily has a crush on a guy that likes her too, he gets a bitter taste of "Em" and he starts to back off. Heatherl
Hermela Tefera
Sep 27, 2015 Hermela Tefera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brand-new Emily by Ginger Rue is a good book. It is about Emily who has become the target of the popular kids. Emily struggles to stand up for herself with no friends at her side. Then Emily comes upon secret information and uses it to fix her social status. Through the process Emily tries to find out who she really is and gains some true friends and some fake ones. I found this story to be very inspirational and I recommend it to others.
Summer
Sep 16, 2013 Summer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This book was pretty cute. It definitely kept my interest, but I still found it to be too predictable and too much like the movie "Mean Girls". I also found it unrealistic for kids to be this manipulative and mean. Middle school kids are mean, but not this mean (at least in my experience, and I was bullied pretty badly in middle school.) I wouldn't let my middle school kids read this book because it encouraged behavior that is inappropriate for such young kids (dating and kissing).
Mikayla
Apr 13, 2012 Mikayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realistic-ficton
I think this book was very interesting. I finished the book very fasted not because it was short but because it was a good book. This book was very well thought out plot. And the character where so realist that I could picture the characters. There was time that I didn’t want to put the book down. The books kept me reading tell the last page.

Emily
Jun 21, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
LOL i loved this book. it shows that once you put your mind to it, you can be the person you want to be. and that if you stay strong and no what you are doing no one can put you down. you know with a little help. ;)
Kathy
Sep 17, 2012 Kathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i think it is a good book im im still reading it but so far so goodi lvu this book BRAND NEW EMILY and my little sister name is emilyi hope yall all read brand new emily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
LouAnne
Dec 02, 2010 LouAnne rated it it was amazing
I learned so much about the job of a publicist from this book. Emily learns some valuable lessons too! If you read this you might also like of "So Yesterday" by Scott Westerfield.
Emily
May 03, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Yes, I started this book because it has my name in the title...great tween read. Smart girl, new school...it reads like Mean Girls for tweens.
Morgan Parson
Jun 10, 2013 Morgan Parson rated it it was amazing
Great book! I love the book and the author. I would definitely recommend this book to my middle school friends.
Mary Caroline
Aug 13, 2013 Mary Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book last summer and loved it!!! I want to read more books like it.
The Library Lady
Oct 20, 2009 The Library Lady rated it did not like it
Anyone who thinks that "Hannah Montana" is quality teen TV might go for this one. But for the rest of us, this requires far more "suspension of disbelief" than can be mustered.

Heroine Emily starts off as the girl everyone picks on. But once the first less than believable thing happens, everything falls into place.

Her uncle's a cop and she just happens to get the number to contact the publicity agent on a teen idol's closed movie shoot AND convinces her to let her interview the idol. On the set s
Melanie
Jun 17, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book wouldn't be that good. It looked cheesy and dumb. But this book turned me upside down and inside out and reminded me people aren't always what you think they are. They have secrets and they have problems and you don't know all of that. Also, you can remake your outside but no matter what you can't really change your core. There's something inside us that can't be changed, but we always can get more confident.
TiffanyD2020
Nov 04, 2015 TiffanyD2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who like Realistic Fiction and Drama
Recommended to TiffanyD2020 by: Mrs.Borowiak
I thought this book was great because it tells a story of a normal teenage life. You can get into fights and get bullied whenever and however in school. you can find true love or have breakups in school. It just tells the story of a girl with a bad teenage life with a twist of her and a celebrity. She wounds up in bad situations and good situations with the celebrity, the popular kids, her crush and high schoolers.
Alejandra
Apr 16, 2014 Alejandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really like this book and is easy to feel related with the main character because who doest want to be popular? everyone wants to be accepted by others by that means a change in character and that really worth it? is really what we want?. if you like mean girls you are gonna love this book because is similar but have to say that this book is better.
A_B_B_Y
Oct 09, 2011 A_B_B_Y rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 7th-grade-books
Oh my gosh, this was such a good book!! I thought it would be a pretty stereotypical book about a teenage girl in middle school, but it had a completely different twist!!! I loved every minute of this book, and I could not put it down. It had great descriptions, but I adored everything, from the very organized structure, to the funny dialogue. This is a very interesting idea, and I am very curious as to how the author created it, but whatever it is I love it!!!

Brand-New Emily is not like every o
Lili Krause
May 06, 2015 Lili Krause rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good. It is bout a girl named emily wood who gets bullied and wants to fix it. A movie star is currently filming in her town and she gets to interveiw him. She finds out a secret of his and then he helps her with a bunch of stuff.
Dodie
Jan 05, 2009 Dodie rated it it was amazing
Definitely be careful what you wish for - that's the message that starts to form as Emily seizes the opportunity to recreate herself as Em, trendsetter, girlfriend of a teen heartthrob, and aspiring queen of the 8th grade heap. With a powerful p.r. firm working the angles for her, Em seems destined for greatness. Her transformation surprises everyone, and when those changes start to affect Em's soul, she questions not only her motivation but the loyalties of her new friends. Rue captures all the ...more
Amy
Jul 24, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-literature
I have this book in my library at school but hadn't read it. I am on vacation with my cousins and she had it so I borrowed it. A very quick read. Emily is picked on and bullied at school and wants desperately to belong. She finds out a secret about a celebrity and is able to have a PR firm help her obtain friends and popularity. Of course the plot is a little on the ridiculous side but young girls, especially 5th, 6th and 7th grade will like it. I actually learned some new things about advertisi ...more
Emma
I read this book in like 6th grade and I found it on a bookshelf in my house yesterday and I just remember loving this book.
Ms. Heres
When I first picked up this book I thought it was going to be about middle school drama. I was glad that it came with a big twist because Emily handles the middle school bullies in a way I never expected - she hires a PR firm to create a new image for her. This is a big job and even Emily doubts it will change anything. Is she really up for a big change?
Alicia (Lav)
Dec 16, 2010 Alicia (Lav) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, not necessarily for the writing style and the characters, which I liked a lot. The real reason I love this book is because it shows how ridiculous our society's view of "cool" and "popular" is. And I've seen some reviews saying this story is very unrealistic... well, yes, in a way it is, but really the things Emily does are about all you would need to do to make yourself popular in this messed up society. It's insane. And I loved this book for bringing that out without putting ...more
Kathryn Adam-Hurst
Jan 26, 2016 Kathryn Adam-Hurst rated it really liked it
Loved it!!
Diana
Jan 22, 2011 Diana rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Anyone who has ever been unpopular and suffered the wrath of the Popular Girls will relate to Emily's desire to do anything to not be miserable. But most girls don't go out and hire a professional PR firm to create a new image for her.

This novel is interesting and fun to read. Emily goes on a journey of self discovery as she gains confidence through her new persona, and eventually learns that being true to herself is what really matters.
Rena
Jul 18, 2014 Rena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fluffiness, the fluffiest YA read of the entire year! I really, really enjoyed this book.
Mariah Vikander
I read the book Brand New Emily. It is a good book. I think if you like to read books with drama this is the book. It is about a girl named Emily. She was a girl that was new at the school and her locker was half the size that ours are today. The popular girls in school are sharing a locker with out a teachers permition. Also all of her projects were ruined. That is why you should read Brand New Emily.
Gloria
Mar 09, 2010 Gloria rated it really liked it
This book is not that awesome as I thought it would be. Becouse when I first started reading this book, I thought that this book will be really goood. But I kept on reading this book and it got beter. I feel sorry for the girl who everyone was messing with her until the day that she got popular.
new emily 1 4 Nov 30, 2011 05:49PM
  • The Girlfriend Project
  • Leaving Gee's Bend
  • Fast Sam, Cool Clyde, and Stuff
  • A Face in Every Window
  • TruLeigh (Vivien Leigh Reid #1)
  • The Hot and Cold Summer
  • Solving Zoe
  • If the Witness Lied
  • How Lamar's Bad Prank Won a Bubba-Sized Trophy
  • The Princess Trap (Scandia, #2)
  • Miss You, Mina (Candy Apple #26)
  • Crush-tastic! (Hannah Montana, #6)
  • Eyeliner of the Gods
  • Love in Translation
  • The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes
  • Do-Over
  • The Secret Crush (Mackenzie Blue, #2)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Classic Starts)