Start by marking “Social Semiotics” as Want to Read:
Social Semiotics

Social Semiotics

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Social Semiotics is a textbook in communication and cultural studies. It offers a comprehensive approach to the study of the ways in which meaning is constituted in social life.
Published September 1st 1988 by Polity Press

To ask other readers questions about Social Semiotics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Social Semiotics

Trevor
I really enjoyed this book. The more I learn about sociolinguistics, the more I wish I had known more about it years ago. It really would have saved me so much time. If you are thinking of reading this one, my advice would be turn to page 261 first and read the last ten pages – this isn’t a mystery novel, they don’t give the story away, so reading the end first won’t kill you. Rather, it gives a nice overview of the main ideas in the book and also excellent definitions of some of the key terms u ...more
Tara Brabazon
A fellow academic that I work with at UOIT asked me last week what were the three books that changed my life. I replied, E.P. Thompson's _The Making of the English Working Class_, Greil Marcus's _Lipstick Traces_ and Robert Hodge and Gunther Kress's _Social Semiotics_.

In preparation to teach social semiotics and multimodality properly (rather than as an 'addition' or 'extension' to a basic semiotics lecture), I returned to re-read this book that changed my life.

I remember the first time I read
Nicholas Arehart
Brilliant book. Fills the gaps in a discipline that has traditionally sought to understood human meaning making outside of the flow of time. I plan to start reading it again immediately.
Frederic Gleach
One of my favorite books on semiotics, and accessibly written. Its survey of the history of the ideas is a great introduction - I've taught it several times.
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Mercedes Moore
Mercedes Moore marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
J
J marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Abbas Jutt
Abbas Jutt marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Benjamin J Hopkinson
Benjamin J Hopkinson marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Donkey Hotei
Donkey Hotei marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Vanessa Barcelos
Vanessa Barcelos is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Nathan Schager
Nathan Schager marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Rick Barber
Rick Barber marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Bruno
Bruno marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Ivan Kapersky
Ivan Kapersky marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Drishti Ahuja
Drishti Ahuja marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Jacquelyn Fusco
Jacquelyn Fusco marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Abdul
Abdul marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jul 10, 2014
Andra Cristina
Andra Cristina marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Craig Swanson
Craig Swanson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Banphot Nobaew
Banphot Nobaew marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Paul Signor
Paul Signor marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Away from Tipperary: Nicholas Sadleir, Australian Gentleman Children and Television: A Semiotic Approach What's Conscience For? Accounting: A Foundation Literature As Discourse: Textual Strategies In English And History