Start by marking “Dreams from the Endz” as Want to Read:
Dreams from the Endz

Dreams from the Endz

3.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  213 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Dreams from the Endz is the story of twenty-four-year-old Ahlème, who is spirited, sassy and wise but has more problems than she knows how to deal with. Her father, The Boss, is permanently disabled after an accident on a building site, her sixteen-year-old brother, Foued, has been permanently excluded from school and seems intent on joining the drug-dealers who share thei ...more
Published June 4th 2009 by Vintage (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dreams from the Endz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreams from the Endz

Gretel
Nov 11, 2014 Gretel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm quite surprised with the low average rating for this book. I really liked it and found Ahlème to be a convincing narrator. Faïza Guène is a young Parisian author of Algerian descent, and in my opinion this book really shows off her talent and how her writing has evolved from her young-adult novel Just Like Tomorrow. Guène really gives an interesting insight into a multicultural France and what it is like to grow up with an immigrant background. There's no real structure to the novel and the ...more
Adriana Davesa melero
Du rêve pour les oufs nous raconte l’histoire d’Ahlème, une fille de 24 ans qui procède de l’Algérie, mais qui habite à Paris depuis la mort de sa mère. Elle a une vie très, très compliquée.
J’ai aimé cette histoire par différentes raisons. Premièrement par l’héroïne, Ahlème, qui est vraiment adorable. Elle est une jeune fille très courageuse qui aime sa famille par-dessus tout. Elle est très spéciale, elle fait des observations de tout. J’ai vue quelques similitudes entre Ahlème et l’héroïne du
Margherita Dolcevita
L'autrice è mia coetanea.
E sono stata ben contenta di leggere un romanzo scritto da una giovane che sembri scritto da una giovane che è conscia dell'età che ha, e non da una giovane che si crede donna vissuta in grado di narrare qualsiasi cosa. Eh sì, perchè a quanto pare la tendenza è questa. Ventenni che scrivono romanzi pretenziosi sugli adulti, sulla vecchiaia, sul senso della vita, che filosofeggiano sparando perle di saggezza a tutta randa. Perchè essere scrittori, in Italia, significa per
Ape
Aug 19, 2012 Ape rated it liked it
This wasn't a long read, and I was looking for something short to read yesterday, so I just got stuck into this book. I think I preferred it over Just Like Tomorrow, as the main character, Ahleme, is in her twenties, rather than the teenager who was the main character in Just Like Tomorrow. Although characters and characters... I do wonder how much of this is actually autobiographical.

It's set in the ghettos of Paris, with Algerian family, headed up by "the Boss", who hasn't been able to work fo
William
This loosely structured novel uses lots of slang, non sequiturs, and some outrageous imagery -- all from the tongue of twenty-something narrator Ahleme -- to illuminate the adaptation of struggling Algerians to their new lives in France. Woven between Ahleme's criticisms of the boys she meets to date, the friends whose spending outpaces her income, and the family she struggles to help adapt to their lives in Paris' outskirts, are subtle reminders of the xenophobia and outright prejudice that con ...more
Amanda
Apr 15, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

I didn't mind this story... And I feel like the lack of interest and strong writing has to do with the fact that I read the translated version (and I find that can be a problem for some translated books) in terms of very cut storylines and lack of full understanding...

I had a hard time finding this story that interesting and at times found the main character to become annoying.

I would say read this if you are looking for something quick and light... Otherwise I'd skip it.
Wendy
Jul 22, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my book group read for the month. I gave this 3 stars because I didn't dislike it, although I hated the constant need to refer to the 'glossary' of slang terms. I realise that these add to the realism of the storyline but it is extremely frustrating to have to do this. Also the 'youth speak' used was so out of sync with the main characters' age. I know I am a lot older but I don't know of any 24 year olds that would speak in this way. 14 - 18 maybe but not beyond 22.

When I first started
Jo Haff
Dec 26, 2013 Jo Haff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je continue sur ma lancée. J'ai découvert Faïza Guène juste avant la Comédie du Livre, pour profiter de sa présence et sa jeunesse dans le milieu littéraire. J'ai donc acheté Kiffe kiffe demain que j'ai adoré, et j'ai acheté le deuxième que j'avais déjà fait signer.
Et c'est toujours aussi bien!
Cette fois-ci, le personnage principal est Ahlème, jeune Algérienne de 24 ans qui est allée vivre chez son père en France à la mort de sa mère. Elle accumule les petits boulots et les missions d'intérim, s
John McCullagh
Dec 19, 2015 John McCullagh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I bought this book when it was published in English in 2008 but have just got around to reading it. I wanted to understand more of the lives of the young beurs living in the Paris banlieues at the time of the Paris riots of 2005. And the book did that.

I would have given it three stars - no more, maybe I'm too old to enjoy coming of age stories too much any more. But I decided in the end to give it just two. The reason has to do with the English translation in my UK edition. The French street sl
Katie M.
Oct 14, 2010 Katie M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I'm not sure if this was actually a better novel or just a better translation, but I liked it so much more than Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow. If you don't read both at least read this one; in vague terms it's the Parisian narrative that you never hear about; in specific terms it's the snarky, slangy story of a teenage Algerian immigrant girl living in the Paris projects that was actually WRITTEN by a former teenage (and not even that much former... I think she was 23 when this was published) Algerian im ...more
Miss Byler
What is it like for a girl whose family is falling apart and who lives in two cultures? That is the part of the book I wanted to read. Unfortunately, many other side plots made it seem like the author did not address the theme as much as I thought -- a bit disappointing.
Carmen
Jan 06, 2016 Carmen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really, I'd give this 2.5 stars if possible. It had a few good moments, and I appreciate that it gave me some small sense of a world I don't know, but it just didn't have the depth I was looking for at all. Also, the translator's rendering of French slang into British slang was a very poor choice.
Madeleine
First...I keep reading Faiza Guene's books on airplanes and she is far, far too good an author for that. Both her books are beautifully written, funny, ironic, enlightening stories of immigrant lives in Paris. Airplanes are supposed to be for reading fluffy formulaic crap about vampires and/or crime fiction and/or Downton Abbey-like-stuff in book form.

Second, it is awfully interesting to read a book about immigrant stories...as some sort of immigrant. Albeit a very privileged one. (Not feeling t
Susanne
Oct 26, 2015 Susanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the language with all its slang. The narrator, Ahleme, is totally engaging and through her eyes the plight of aliens in France,ie. their constant worry of possible deportation, becomes yours.
Persephone Abbott
Jan 09, 2015 Persephone Abbott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt this book had great potential but I wish the writing had been a bit stronger. Mostly I did enjoy the narrative of the main character, but I would have really enjoyed this novel more if the author would have dived a little deeper and shown more complex thoughts in depth. My enthusiasm waned as I read further and stars fell off of the cover, hence the one star.
Marta
Jan 21, 2016 Marta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See "Just Like Tomorrow". Very enjoyable and clever, too!
Kyuutomo
Aug 09, 2015 Kyuutomo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting short story.
Amanda
I really enjoyed this book. There were bits I giggled at, there were parts that made me sad. Ahlème goes through life in France as a green card Algerian as best she can for her fractured family. I found it absurd in parts, but totally understood where she was coming from on all of it. Like a lot of writers of North African descent she talks about France and its links to its former colonies, but she does it in a bit of a humorous vein. I can't wait to read more of her books.
Robin
Jan 25, 2015 Robin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I was hopeful to finish this book last night in order to finish out 2012 with 35 books. However, I was unsuccessful in my attempt. If I could give this book 1 1/2 stars I would. It didn't do anything for me. This book was just something to read through quickly and that's all it was. It was one of those bargain bin books that I just picked up one day and never got around to read until now, when I needed something to fill in the gaps.
Ltambar
Aug 12, 2009 Ltambar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some Dream for Fools follows similar themes of Guene's first novel, Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow, displacement, poverty, and coming of age. Some Dream of Fools fails to keep the reader's attention because one wonders if they are reading Kiffe Kiffe again. It follows the same predictable pattern, with the exception that the lead character returns to the bled. This books lacks the comedy and entertainment value of Guene's first book.
Beth
Sep 20, 2012 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chosen to read while in France because the setting is France. Story is told by Ahleme an Algerian refuge who is unmarried, and trying to hold her family of a invalid father and a teen age brother together. One gets depression as one read of the nihilistic life that will go nowhere. Odd jobs, a few friends, subsidized housing, a few purchases now and then. Life has little to offer for the future.
Rachna
Jul 17, 2013 Rachna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED the book. Thought the ending was a bit abrupt at first, but it fit with the whole point of the book - life for immigrants who live in the Parisian banlieues is cyclical. Great read, and very funny as well. My only problem with the book was the translation - I could tell some things were off, but I'm planning on picking up the French version anyway.
Neal
Mar 17, 2013 Neal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story about life in the poorer areas of Paris. The storyline was insubstantial and lacked purpose. I suspect it would be better to read it in French, however, because there is a jarring combination of English, French and Algerian 'youth-speak', which made me wince several times!
Cathy
Mar 27, 2009 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touching and funny. Between caring for her bewildered dad and her delinquent brother, Alheme struggles with her Algerian roots and the unwelcoming soil of Ivry near Paris. But a trip 'home' shows her no more a creature of the village, either.
Gregory
Multicultural Paris is not all croissants and chocolat in this tale of a young woman struggling against the weight of circumstance. The reader discovers a contemporary France filled with anxiety about itself. Strong point of view.
Amanda Byrne
this book is a short read; i got it out of the library at noon, went back to work, and finished it that evening when i got home. it doesn't really have a plot, it seems, although it's entertaining. and she's only 25!
Rebecca
Dec 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read2010
Like Katie said, this was a quick read from a fresh Parisian voice. I was drawn to the narrator and her family, but the story never really went anywhere.
Amy Arsenault
I loved the writing but it felt so unfinised. it felt as if it were chapters 4-12 out of 1-17 if that makes sense?
Marta
Aug 03, 2014 Marta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soy fan de Faïza, es sarcástica y ácida pero sin dejar de ser optimista. Todo un logro.
Kalee
even though nothing happens in this book, I couldn't put it down.
Rockcliffe Readers : Dreams from the Endz 5 3 Apr 13, 2013 03:11PM
  • René Leys
  • Voice Over
  • 4000 Years of Uppity Women
  • The Ripening Seed
Faïza Guène is a French writer and director. Born to parents of Algerian origin, she grew up in Pantin, in the north-eastern suburbs of Paris. She attended Collège Jean Jaurès followed by Lycée Marcelin Berthelot in Pantin. She began studies in sociology at Université Paris VIII, in St-Denis, before abandoning them to pursue writing and directing full-time.

Her first novel, "Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow" w
More about Faïza Guène...