Nocover-blank-133x176
The Morning News Annual

Various

The Morning News Annual (2008)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Designed by Jennifer Daniel with illustrations by Witold Riedel, our inaugural 2008 edition features some of our favorite pieces from the year alongside new pieces from TMN writers, including Matthew Baldwin’s invective of spoilers, movie and otherwise; Anthony Doerr’s essay on attempting to savor the offline life; Lauren Frey’s remembrance of a voice gained, then lost; Sa...more
hardcover, 200 pages
Published (first published 2008)

Neil
I think The Morning News is as good as anything on the Web. So a book of essays from the site and new essays from its writers can be expected to be a hit with me. For example, I already knew that:

* Josh Allen's "Two Minutes and 42 Seconds in Heaven" is hilarious.
* Daniel Nester's profile of Christian parody rock band ApologetiX is great.

Here's what surprised me:

* Matthew Baldwin's piece on spoilers. I already think it's totally unfair that someone who's a good programmer can also be a great writ...more
Kevin Fanning
A couple of the greatest hits from the website, a couple of excellent new essays, and a couple of pieces that were a little too "writers writing about writing" for me.

Worth the price of admission for Todd Levin's story. Also liked the ones by Lauren Frey, Matthew Baldwin, and Pasha Malla.

I love the idea of this book; personally I'd like the next one to be more funny/entertaining and less cerebral/staid.*

*Full disclosure, I'm grinding an axe here.
jake
I will admit, I had higher expectations from this collection. I hadn't been up-to-date on the Morning News, so many of these pieces were new to me. That said, I hope TMN continues this tradition of releasing a hard copy of their favorite pieces from the year.
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2009
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2009
Various is the correct author for any book with multiple unknown authors, and is acceptable for books with multiple known authors, especially if not all are known or the list is very long (over 50).

If an editor is known, however, Various is not necessary. List the name of the editor as the primary author (with role "editor"). Contributing authors' names follow it.

Note: WorldCat is an excellent res...more
More about Various...
101 Best Jokes The Night Before Christmas and Other Popular Stories For Children Club Penguin Comics: Volume 1 Tinkle The Adventures of Suppandi-1 Coolest Chapter Books for Kids Sample