Start by marking “Outlaw (Carre, #1)” as Want to Read:
Outlaw (Carre, #1)

Outlaw (Carre #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  22 reviews
When her enemy, the infamous Laird of Ravensby, abducts her in order to win his brother's freedom from an English dungeon, Elizabeth Graham finds herself strangely attracted to this notorious privateer.
Published October 1st 1993 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Outlaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outlaw

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo JohnsonCarrre1TitlebySueBee_zps2beb56e7.jpg
 photo C1AbySueBee_zps5b3e0882.gif
 photo C1BbySueBee_zpsedea1cf6.gif
★★★★★! Carre series, book 1 of 2. Johnnie Carre, Laird of Ravensby captures his enemy’s daughter, Elizabeth Graham for ransom, but letting her go will be his biggest battle yet!

US EDITION SERIES INFO & REVIEW
Carre series
Book 1
Formats: Kindle & paperback in both US/UK

The Carre series follows two Scottish brothers during the struggle for independence from British rule starting with Johnnie Carre, Laird of Ravensby, year 1704.

Susan Johnson aka C.C. Gibbs has different publishers in...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

4 'intriguing, romantic, and sex that burns up the pages’ stars!

I love it when an author can write a story that stays true to historical detail, but does it in a way that brings the characters to life, making me care about them and whatever course they’re on. Such is the case with Outlaw, the first of two books in Susan Johnson’s Carre series.

About the story…

With relations between Scotland and England reaching a boiling point, the last thing Johnnie Carre, Laird of Ravensby needs is the current...more
Didi
~~~ 3.5 STARS ~~~ OR 7/10

I really wish goodreads had half stars, sigh. It would make trying to round up or round down much easier.

Okay, on to the review! I do love a kidnapping/captor tale! Especially when love comes a' knockin'! Whether it be contemporary or historical, I'm on it. Outlaw was a good book with some seriously swoon-worthy scenes. It was also a book that had me melting over the hero, Johnnie Carre, a Scottish lord, where initially I wanted to punch him. He was a man of Honor, loya...more
Crista
So this was my biggest problem with this book.....I never liked Elizabeth and Johnnie at the same time. Let me explain.

Elizabeth starts out the book in a strong way. She is a wealthy, independent widow who knows what she wants. She isn't looking for a man to rescue her...she doesn't even want a man...until Johnnie. She falls for Johnnie pretty early on...is jealous of him and his mistresses from the beginning. I really liked her. However, after the point where Johnnie and her marry it's all dow...more
Lady Wesley
Wow! I really enjoyed this book by an author I hadn't read before.

Johnnie Carre, Laird of Ravensby, is a rich, powerful, totally promiscuous, and utterly charming Scotsman. (Nary a kilt in sight; it's only 1704. He wears trewes.) He becomes obsessed with Lady Elizabeth Graham, after he abducts her to hold in exchange for his brother who has been captured by Elizabeth's father. And although she's a respectable widow, she becomes obsessed with him too. He lets her go, but that's just the beginnin...more
Mitzi
Book 1 of 2 in (2) book series. Next is To Please A Lady. Great Book!!!
Kyraryker
Holy mother of God. This first chapter is how you write an opening to a book. Seriously wow, I actually felt breathless. Detailed, detailed, detailed writing, hot damn this is the amazing hard to find craft I have been missing in books lately!
Oh wow, Elizabeth afraid of Johnnie's reputation as a ladies man says "I don't want to be forgotten" and he responds with "I never forget". What a wickedly charming S.O.B.
Kudos to the author for making what would seem to be a very accurate account of two pe...more
Evie Byrne
This is an older book, so it was really interesting to compare it to current historical romances. The biggest difference in the hero. I've read a ton of romances lately with these Majorly Traumatized heroes (Oh, poor me, I'm a duke with all the money and power in the world and I'm so sad about my dark past....). This hero is different. He's A-OK. He's perfect, he knows it, and he's happy in his perfection. He's got a definite James Bond sort of thing going on. It may make him shallow, but still,...more
PurplyCookie
Johnnie Carre, a powerful Border Lord in Scotland, kidnaps Elizabeth Graham, widowed daughter of his English enemy Lord Harold Godfrey, to force the release of his brother, Robbie.

Threatened by her father and her dead husband's sons, who plot to gain control of her marital inheritance, Elizabeth discovers she is pregnant with Johnnie's child. She proposes a marriage of convenience to her longtime suitor George Baldwin, who accepts. With an army of 300 men, Johnnie gallops into England to abduct...more
Doreen
It took me a long time to feel involved in the story of these two people. For a while all it seemed to consist of was a series of sex scenes. Now I've no objection to sensual novels, but there has to be something else. It wasn't till near the end when the plotting and fighting really began that I started to care about their fate. Good job I don't give up on books that easily.
Kate
Such a vivid storyline, unlike any others historical romance novels where the story was somewhat predictable. I personally admired the author's researches regarded of the story, however some historical explanations that keep the story going can be bored at times. Nonetheless, the author truly have me convinced of Johnnie & Elizabeth love throughout the novel.
M.J. Fifield
I really wish there was a way to give books half star ratings because 2.5 stars would probably sum up perfectly what I thought. I mean, it's a bodice ripping romance novel. I don't go into it expecting high literature or anything. So, yeah, it is what it is.
Danielle
Susan Johnson is my addiction. I know I'll get her books and be done in two hours but I just love her.
Liz
Aug 11, 2011 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: keeping
This book does not dissapoint. I really liked it and will continue to read books from her.
Jenny
Loved it. It was so good.
Puna
It took Johnnie a while but once he gave in to his feelings he went all out. Bad boy goes good, love him!
Rebecca
The first Susan Johnson book I ever owned. Fell in love with the bad ass characters! My favorite of her books.
HK
ok story and hottness and interesting enogh. Not my kind of DIK.
Kim
First time I've read Susan Johnson. I enjoyed the book.
Mysterious
I found both main characters pretty insufferable.
Carol
Johnnie Carre & Elizabeth Graham
Penny Masters
Penny Masters marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Caitlin Doyle
Caitlin Doyle marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Kenisha Simmonds
Kenisha Simmonds marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Lorilee
Lorilee marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Amy-chan
Amy-chan marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
  • Rafe's Redemption
  • Her Wanton Wager (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2)
  • Lord Ruin
  • A Midnight Dance (Fiery Tales, #3)
  • Fascinated
  • Passionate Bid (Blue-Eyed Four, #1)
  • Angel in a Red Dress
  • Educating Elizabeth
  • Claiming the Courtesan
  • The Duke's Tattoo (The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , #1)
  • Absolute Pleasure
  • Gabriel's Woman (The Lover, #2)
  • The Warrior
  • One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6)
  • Tonight or Never
  • The Bargain (The Bargain, #1)
  • Let Me Love You
  • Mistress of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #1)
And it all began rather serendipitously. Long ago, as they say, in another time, when fast food hadn't reached our area and the only shopping was what the feed mill offered, I was reading a book that annoyed me .

My husband was lying beside me in bed, watching TV. Turning to him, I sort of petulantly said, "How the hell did this book get published?"

"If you think you're so smart," he replied, with...more
More about Susan Johnson...
Sinful (St. John-Duras, #1) Blaze (Braddock-Black, #1) Wicked (St. John-Duras, #2) Pure Sin Brazen (Braddock-Black, #4)