Start by marking “Black Panther: Secret Invasion” as Want to Read:
Black Panther: Secret Invasion

Black Panther: Secret Invasion (Secret Invasion)

When the Skrulls come to town, it's all-out war in Wakanda! The alien invaders have war ships, advanced technology, super-powered soldiers, and an army that outnumbers the Wakandans ten-to-one. Cake walk, right? Think again! There's a reason Wakanda had never been conquered, and the Skrulls are about to find out why - the hard way!

Collects Black Panther #39-41, reprints an

Published March 11th 2009 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Black Panther, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Panther

Lono
Nov 08, 2014 Lono rated it really liked it
Wakanda has NEVER been conquered. What chance could they possibly have against an advanced alien race while the rest of the world is going to shit all around them? Read this Secret Invasion tie-in and find out.

description

Jason Aaron’s three issue Black Panther: Secret Invasion arc is collected in this volume and it might actually be as good, if not better, that the Secret Invasion series itself. Should have read them together, but this was a little before my man crush on Mr. Aaron fully bloomed. As soon a
Terence
Jan 23, 2016 Terence rated it really liked it
The Skrulls have come for Wakanda. They know it has never been conquered, but then it has never faced a force like The Skrulls.
description

Black Panther Secret Invasion was a really solid story. The Skrulls are coming to Wakanda to take over. They figure they have better numbers, skills, and technology. The Wakandans only have one person in their country with super powers, so it should be no problem.
description
They were wrong. This is probably my favorite Black Panther title to date because it didn't focus too heavil
Sam Quixote
Jun 15, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
Secret Invasion was a Marvel Event from a few years ago when the Skrulls - an alien race who can shapeshift - assumed high ranking roles in government, the military, and the superhero community, and then began their takeover of Earth.

This is the three-issue Black Panther side-story that shows what happened when the Skrulls attempted to destroy Wakanda, the Black Panther’s small African kingdom that is nevertheless highly advanced.

Black Panther’s a character I really want to like but from the f
Anne
Aug 25, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really good tie-in to Secret Invasion.
When done right, T'Challa comes off as one of the coolest Marvel characters out there. When done wrong, he comes off looking like a guy in a panther suit.
Jason Aaron did it right.

Palo's artwork in this was really not appealing to me at all. Why did everyone have such tiny feet?

The highlight for me was really the interview in the back with Roy Thomas, though. If you get a chance, don't skip over it. I sat there reading it with my mouth
Jedhua
Other Useful Reviews: Lono's review

Book Info: This collection contains Black Panther issues #39-41.

description

Due to its vast reserves of vibranium, the African country of Wakanda has enjoyed a large degree of self-sufficiency and technological dominance for very many years. But it's this very same substance that has caught the attention of the Skrulls – a shape-shifting alien race with a long track record of planetary conquest. While the Secret Invasion rages on elsewhere on the globe, Commander K'vvvr
Ken Moten
Jun 29, 2016 Ken Moten rated it it was amazing
"Black Panther: When I pray to the Panther God, I pray for my people. For the wisdom to lead them. For the strength to crush our enemies. And I pray the souls among us...who I know will not live to see the dawn."

This story is often called one of the best, if not the best Black Panther story. It is a tie-in to Marvel's Secret Invasion event, but is easily readable as a stand-alone piece. It sees the whole of the Wakandan army against a deadly alien race who makes the mistake of not taking Wakand
Jacobi
Jan 31, 2015 Jacobi rated it liked it
Shelves: trades-read
This books goes hard.

A tie-in to the now forgettable Secret Invasion event, this trade is the story of a battle weary Skrull commander carrying out one more mission before retirement. Only problem is that last mission is against Wakanda.

This book is super tough which I dig. I like seeing when Black Panther is portrayed as an absolute boss that is peerless. He's resolute and viscous here, but it fits the story since this is a do or die battle he's fighting.

The only bad thing about this trade is
Gavin
Jul 12, 2016 Gavin rated it really liked it
Wow. After all the bottom barrel dreck I've been reading as part of SI, this was a welcome change...a well written arc, Skrulls shown as more than just evil invaders, but war weary men a reader could relate to, almost in a tragic sense.

The art was great, the story solid, and the larger SI didn't ruin the book.

This is a great illustration of the BAMF that is T'Challa, and readers who want to know why he's illuminati and why he's so important, read this 3issue story. It doesn't need any prior conn
Sonic
Apr 10, 2010 Sonic rated it really liked it
Awesome story, told with the most perfect voice for a Black Panther book. The art was super cool too! I loved it because it was the right amount of tight and loose and the compositions were pretty much perfect every time. The Black Panther is basically a bad-ass. He is very strong and very proud, and yet one is always rooting for him as he is in some ways an underdog. I thought this book was bad-ass, but it also had heart, making me even sympathize with one of the antagonists.
Ben
Oct 03, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it
I didn't know anything about the Secret Invasion stuff and hadn't read much Black Panther previously but this stands alone nicely. Aaron's writing is fantastic as ever and manages to tell you everything you need to know in very few issues. I never felt lost, and you get a good sense of who Black Panther is with all his smart, honourable and fierce traits that make him so popular. You also get a decent amount of emotional depth and quite a haunting ending which is rare even in comics much bigger ...more
Jana
Sep 03, 2016 Jana rated it really liked it
Black Panther Vol. 1: Secret Invasion was my first ever Black Panther comic. I really enjoyed this persona in the Captain America: Civil War movie and seeing as I’m really excited for him to get his own upcoming movie, I wanted to familiarize myself a little more with the character. I found this comic on sale on Comixology, and while it did take me a while to finally get to it, I ended up really, really liking it (and finding it MUCH too short, haha).

The story is about Wakanda, the country Black
Alazzar
Apr 24, 2013 Alazzar rated it liked it
My god, this was so much better than Black Panther (Volume 1): Who Is the Black Panther? Then again, so is stepping on a shard of jagged glass. So maybe that's not much of an accomplishment.

Anyway, this was only my second Black Panther book, and it was nice to see the character written by someone who had the decency not to be Reginald Hudlin.

The story itself was pretty good (though the most interesting character was actually one of the Skrulls--not that that's a bad thing), but the thing that
J'aime
Apr 08, 2014 J'aime rated it it was amazing
The Secret Invasion tie-ins have been hit or miss for me. Most have too much filler of old material. Like the Thor trade, this one is mostly material directly related to the crossover. However, unlike Thor's, this story had far more substance!

This story was exceptionally good because when the Skrulls invade Wakanda, Black Panther and Storm are the only superheroes there. And Panther does not have powers, per se. He relies on technology; and the Skrulls have far more advanced tech right? But what
Dean
Sep 22, 2013 Dean rated it really liked it
An excellent read in its own right, but certainly a superior tie-in for Secret Invasion. Jason Aaron took a job that he could have phoned in, lost as it was in a sea of tie-ins, and crafted a fine character study of Panther, Wakanda and it's people, and even the Skrull general leading the invasion. Dialogue especially is well done, and Panthers character is perfect. The art, a murky Mignola like tribute of sorts by Jefte Palo grew on me; unsure at first, but it suited the tone of the story and ...more
Tommy
Sep 13, 2015 Tommy rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A reasonably strong finish to the series. I like the storyline, plot twists and pace of the story but they again bring in a new artist whose style is drastically different than the series has been up to this point.
Matthew Cholodewitsch
Apr 03, 2015 Matthew Cholodewitsch rated it really liked it
I'm glad I read this after Aaron's Thor series because, unlike the famed Gorr, Aaron writes the Skrull leader so wonderfully that it really makes his lack of antagonist characterisation in Thor saddening. This book is brutal, swift, twisting, and highlights what makes Black Panther so great.
Briar Rose
Jul 02, 2016 Briar Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2016
I think I'm in love with the Secret Invasion series. I'm also in love with T'Challa (Black Panther).

Black Panther: Secret Invasion takes is a side story during the Skrull attack. The Skrulls decided to attack Wakanda, thinking that the Wakandans are primitive people compared to them.
Alice Urchin
Feb 06, 2013 Alice Urchin rated it it was amazing
This was my first Black Panther, and it was awesome. For the most part, the art was fantastic—I especially liked the way that blood/gore was drawn as sort of a black cloudy thing. (I'm being so eloquent today, I know.)
Davy
Mar 13, 2013 Davy rated it it was ok
It's a short, violent story with a surprising twist of the Skrull Secret Invasion in Wakanda were they face the Black Panther, a hero not to be underestimated .... It was fun reading, doesn't add much to the main Secret Invasion story line.
Chris Alexander
Jan 14, 2009 Chris Alexander rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the best Secret Invasion tie-in series. Unfortunately overall Secret Invasion was lackluster because almost every tie in series was predictable & too similar to the main story. A testament to Jason Aaron that he could make it interesting.
Automation
Feb 26, 2009 Automation rated it it was ok
meh. it was a series of catchphrases and quotes from movies. it was kind of like braveheart with skrulls. not incredibly interesting....
Sylvester
Aug 02, 2016 Sylvester rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, war
The Skrulls invades Wakanda, but Black Panther and Storm had their own plans to defend themselves. It was a pretty good side story, short but succinct in delivering justice and entertainment.
Beaugan Gama
Sep 27, 2015 Beaugan Gama rated it really liked it
Wakanda, the unconquerable nation, vs the shape shifting Super-Skrull army

an action epic of strategy, no real emotive elements but still a very nice story
Michael
Oct 19, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
One of the better secret invasion tie-ins, but that doesn't say much. It does make Black Panther into one of the most badass Marvel characters though.
Angela
Jan 31, 2011 Angela rated it liked it
Interesting to see how the Black Panther coped with the invasion. You get the feeling that the skrulls really never stood a chance, you just read to see how they are going to be beaten.
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Oliver Flores
Oliver Flores rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Derek Willis
Derek Willis rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2010
Goldom
Goldom rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2013
  • Secret Avengers, Volume 3: God Level
  • Journey into Mystery, Featuring Sif, Volume 2: Seeds of Destruction
  • Civil War: Spider-Man
  • House of M: World of M, Featuring Wolverine
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where ...more
More about Jason Aaron...

Secret Invasion (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Secret Invasion: The Infiltration
  • Secret Invasion
  • Secret Invasion: Front Line
  • Secret Invasion: Who Do You Trust?
  • Secret Invasion: Home Invasion