Start by marking “Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book

Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book (Lady Cottington)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  8,178 ratings  ·  170 reviews
Pressing flowers to preserve their beauty prompted a young Lady Cottington to preserve her fairy friends the same way. "Discovered" by Terry Jones this long lost journal of pressed fairy images includes a facsimile of a pressed fairy preserved on clear static-cling vinyl for easy application to windows. Full-color illustrations throughout.
Published December 31st 1994 by Turner Publications Inc (first published 1994)

Anthony Vacca
Based on the series of turn-of-the-century photos of the supposed “Cottingley Fairies”, Lady Cottington’s Pressed Fairy Book is definitely not a children’s book, but rather a morbid fantasy told through journal entries about a horrid imp of a girl who makes a hobby of crushing fairies in between the pages of her dairy. Designed to resemble a reproduction of the awful little girl’s actual journal, the book comes with dozens of wonderful drawings—courtesy of Brian Froud, the man behind the creatur ...more
Cecilia
Personally, I love Terry Jones's strange yet very creative story and Brian Froud's magical artwork in this book. Terry Jones has always been one of my favorites in the “Python” gang of movies and the old BBC shows of “Monty Python & the Flying Circus” and Froud's gorgeous watercolor artwork is enchanting…even if the fairies all met an untimely squashing by a naughty little girl.

"Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book" is full of the former Python's quirky story of what else...pressed fairies..
Lila Brantley
Lady Cottington’s journal is a coming of age story equipped with squished and squashed faires, pixes, and goblins! Angelica Cottington has the ability to see fae folk, but of course no one believes her. She grows and gets into some pretty hilarious romantic situations..which she blames on the fairies. I’ve loved Brian Froud since labyrinth (5th grade.) The journal entries are so darn believable that I was sure it was at least loosely based on some fairy sightings. I wasn’t able to find anything. ...more
Danielle
I read this book when I was in middle school I think, but even now I look back at it as very well done and interesting. The entire book is full of "pressed fairies" that a young girl finds in her garden over a period in her life. The book is set up like a diary, and the illustrations are just beautiful. There is some nudity (as fairies aren't that modest), but that part of the book made it even more intriguing for a pre-pubescent as I was at the time. Really, it's nothing to get upset over as it ...more
T.L. Wood
A very witty tale told from a proper little old British lady’s point of view. You will find yourself chuckling out loud as you envision her running around her lovely old English garden in her Victorian lace dress and petticoat smashing little faeries in between her little note books. The video disk that comes with the book is also funny that shows Terry Jones narrating dressed in drag as a woman talking about these dreadful little creatures that she tries to catch. It’s a well worth easy read an ...more
Sandy
Having raised my daughter on Cicely Mary Barker's flower fairy images and poems, this send-up had me rolling with laughter. The fairies are the faces of repressed and sometimes deviant sexual desire. The irony is rich and fun.
Karen
Through the handwritten journal of Lady Cottington we learn details of her life, beginning in early childhood to her later years. Her spelling and penmanship go through the expected changes of maturity. Angelica is obviously thought of as backward by her family and friends, but this only serves her up with a decidedly warped draw. The stories itself is slightly dark, but creative and even a bit sexual. Throughout the book however, it is apparent that a number of men are interested in quirky Ange ...more
Carol
How very disconcerting to turn the pages of this scrapbook-like tale, and find fairies literally pressed between the pages, much as someone would press a pansy picked in the lane by a lover. If you believe in fairies, this may upset you. If not, this may still upset you. Very entertaining text to go with the fairies, whose expressions when caught and slapped between the pages are very bizarre.
Sadie Forsythe
I really love this book. I love this book so much I've bought it 3 times. I don't mean a copy for myself and two friends, but bought it for myself 3 times. (The first was lost in a move, the third I bought just for a new squashed fairy decal to put in my car window). There isn't a lot of actual writing, but the fairies crack me up every-time I look at them.
Natalie Pietro
I love love love this book. I owned the big hardcover edition but this one being small like a journal really gave me the understanding of how she wrote and how small the fairies where that she caught and smashed. It's tiny yet still has that magical imagination. The pictures are still breathtaking. I just love this edition.
Jess
My Nana once showed me this book when i was little and the faeries looked so realistic it made me
believe they were a real collection of pressed faeries.
This book has since always remained in the back of my mind as a book i'll never forget. there's no other book like it.

Sharon Jones
I have had this book in my library for years. It is a whimsical book which puts a smile on your face. But the whimsical has a sinister side! The drawings are out of this world and the little "added" touches are worth buying the book and adding it to your library!
Bruce Nordstrom
This one is a unique book from Terry Jones, best known as a member of the Monty Python comedy group. It begins as a simple children's book, written as though by a child, but then as you read, the handwriting improves, as the child grows older. And her thought processes begin to change. But I don't think "mature" is the correct word.

She starts as a little girl who likes to trap fairies. She sits very quietly with her press book in her laps, and when a fairy lands on the page, she closes the book
Amy
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I didn't know fairies could be so naughty! I wonder what became of them? They just disappeared! The art work is wonderful! I highly recommend this book!
Sezin Koehler
Oh my Fairy Goddess! What a wonderful and creative book. I recommend it with all the fairy love I have in my heart, that certainly grew bigger upon reading this. A true delight of a book.
Diane
While I very much enjoyed the art work the story was less to be desired. It started out rather fun but made an awful turn for the worse. Very unfortunate. Had such potential.
Timo Ivanov
The story is typical Monty Python -- lots of sexual innuendo, double-entendre, and some not-so-subtle crudity.

What this book is all about is the incredible artwork, which shows a host of faeries, goblins, elves, and others. All crushed (brutally, gorily, hysterically) between the pages of a book by a Victorian girl. You get funny faces, nudity, gushes of bodily fluid, and outrageous poses.

It's as if you drove a car at high speed through Fairy Land, and photographed the remains on your front win
Monique
This is a very, very funny book about a young girl who catch a faerie in her book... Catched it with a SNAPPP! Because nobody believes her she decides to catch more faeries in her pressed flower book. During the years she SNAP SNAP SNAP catch faeries until she's to old to see them.

The combination of Terry Jones hilarious text and Brian Froud's crazy pressed faeries makes this a wonderful book to read. I had to laugh about every pressed faerie because of the funny faces... hmmm... actually a litt
Nadia
Don't expect some cutesy book about fairies. The further you delve into the story that Angelica writes the more twisted it gets, I might even go so far as to suggest a trigger warning.

Nevertheless this is a beautiful book. My version of it is a beautiful large hardback but the cover is soft like foam. It's absolutely gorgeous and feels really nice. The fairies are amazingly drawn, the splatter effect on the opposing page really give the impression fairies have been squashed between the pages. I
sj
I just today remembered that this book existed. I read the whole thing standing in a used book store one afternoon shortly after it came out, and was more than a little disgusted by it.

The art is lovely, but it was the concept that I found bothersome.

Why?

(view spoiler)

A friend got it for me as a birthday gift not long after I read it, thinking that it would be perfect for faerie loving me, and I gave that grin that says to
Jessica
Well, this was a difficult book to rate, mainly because somewhere there should have been some mention that this wasn't merely a cute picture book. I picked it up thinking it would simply be a series of smashed fairy pictures with cute, light descriptions by the girl who did the squishing. This book, while full of fun, interesting pictures, is not a light book, nor a children's book.

And I guess that was my main issue with it. It was well done. The pictures were fascinating, and the story was good
Jess Pace
I was given this book when I was born, and I've read it over and over again, and each time I get something new out of it. With each new year, there is a different meaning, the tale is so dense, although to the untrained eye, one would never tell, I mean, it is a book filled with pressed fairies. But it is a story of growing up, learning, experiences, and relationships.
I will forever cherish this book, it is purely beautiful.
Karen
I bought this book back in 1994, or 1995 at the latest. For the longest time I had a pressed fairy on the windscreen of my car (a Nova --the Chevy/Toyota mashup) until the fairy faded away into nothing.

This book is hilarious (Terry Jones) and beautiful (Brian Froud) -- what more can I say?
HJ
Wow, I just stumbled across this in my library, in its 20 year anniversary.

I'd forgotten how wickedly charming and - ehem - naughty it was, as well as such a visual delight. Definitely not for the younger ones, despite its attraction (fairies) for them.
So I was going through my remaining bookshelf at my parents' house (ahem, 5 years after moving across the state, ahem) and came across this gem.
Gem, being used sarcastically here.

I wish, as a kid, I was content thumbing through this at the store then setting it down and picking up something with a little more substance, but such was not the case.

The "story" was boring for me, and felt forced. The pictures were at first somewhat curious and silly but eventually was a lot of the same thing.

But boy
Laurie
Such a horribly delightful book. I thought it was lost, but now it's found again. I don't believe I ever read the story all the way through before. It's just perfectly dastardly.
Melanie T
I blinked when I saw the title....I love the quirky sense of humour, the watercolour illustrations and the general mad hatter slant!
Molly G
Picked it up as a gift for some of my friends, who are impossible to set out to find presents for but bizarre and perfect presents sometimes leap out at me. Hadn't realized it was by Terry Jones until later, but it certainly stands to reason. The concept, design, and illustrations alone are that unique mix of the magical, whimsical, and the utterly grotesque. The narrative contained actually adds complexity—and makes it indeed slightly more disturbing, giving a character to the macabre (with psy ...more
Moriah Farnsworth
Wonderful and much more adult than I was expecting. Love it.
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Letters
  • Gnomes
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • Art of Amy Brown Volume II
  • Are All the Giants Dead?
  • The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #3)
  • Amphigorey Also
  • Secrets of the Gnomes
  • Night Creatures (The Enchanted World Series)
Terence Graham Parry Jones is a Welsh comedian, screenwriter and actor, film director, children's author, popular historian, political commentator and TV documentary host. He is best known as a member of the Monty Python comedy team.
More about Terry Jones...
Starship Titanic The Goblin Companion Terry Jones' Medieval Lives Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells: Based on Quentin Cottington's Journal of Faery Research Terry Jones' Barbarians