Start by marking “Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book

Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book (Lady Cottington)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,956 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
Pressing flowers to preserve their beauty prompted a young Lady Cottington to preserve her fairy friends the same way. "Discovered" by Terry Jones this long lost journal of pressed fairy images includes a facsimile of a pressed fairy preserved on clear static-cling vinyl for easy application to windows. Full-color illustrations throughout.
Published December 31st 1994 by Turner Publications Inc (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book

Anthony Vacca
Jun 09, 2014 Anthony Vacca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the series of turn-of-the-century photos of the supposed “Cottingley Fairies”, Lady Cottington’s Pressed Fairy Book is definitely not a children’s book, but rather a morbid fantasy told through journal entries about a horrid imp of a girl who makes a hobby of crushing fairies in between the pages of her dairy. Designed to resemble a reproduction of the awful little girl’s actual journal, the book comes with dozens of wonderful drawings—courtesy of Brian Froud, the man behind the creatur ...more
Miriam
Just read this again because I accidentally ordered it when I meant to order the sequel, Lady Cottington's Fairy Album. Cux those titles aren't really similar or anything...
Cecilia
Mar 20, 2012 Cecilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personally, I love Terry Jones's strange yet very creative story and Brian Froud's magical artwork in this book. Terry Jones has always been one of my favorites in the “Python” gang of movies and the old BBC shows of “Monty Python & the Flying Circus” and Froud's gorgeous watercolor artwork is enchanting…even if the fairies all met an untimely squashing by a naughty little girl.

"Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book" is full of the former Python's quirky story of what else...pressed fairies..
Lila Brantley
May 15, 2011 Lila Brantley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Cottington’s journal is a coming of age story equipped with squished and squashed faires, pixes, and goblins! Angelica Cottington has the ability to see fae folk, but of course no one believes her. She grows and gets into some pretty hilarious romantic situations..which she blames on the fairies. I’ve loved Brian Froud since labyrinth (5th grade.) The journal entries are so darn believable that I was sure it was at least loosely based on some fairy sightings. I wasn’t able to find anything. ...more
Danielle
I read this book when I was in middle school I think, but even now I look back at it as very well done and interesting. The entire book is full of "pressed fairies" that a young girl finds in her garden over a period in her life. The book is set up like a diary, and the illustrations are just beautiful. There is some nudity (as fairies aren't that modest), but that part of the book made it even more intriguing for a pre-pubescent as I was at the time. Really, it's nothing to get upset over as it ...more
T.L. Wood
Mar 06, 2010 T.L. Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very witty tale told from a proper little old British lady’s point of view. You will find yourself chuckling out loud as you envision her running around her lovely old English garden in her Victorian lace dress and petticoat smashing little faeries in between her little note books. The video disk that comes with the book is also funny that shows Terry Jones narrating dressed in drag as a woman talking about these dreadful little creatures that she tries to catch. It’s a well worth easy read an ...more
Sandy
Jan 01, 2009 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having raised my daughter on Cicely Mary Barker's flower fairy images and poems, this send-up had me rolling with laughter. The fairies are the faces of repressed and sometimes deviant sexual desire. The irony is rich and fun.
Sezín Koehler
Oh my Fairy Goddess! What a wonderful and creative book. I recommend it with all the fairy love I have in my heart, that certainly grew bigger upon reading this. A true delight of a book.
Diane
Sep 22, 2011 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I very much enjoyed the art work the story was less to be desired. It started out rather fun but made an awful turn for the worse. Very unfortunate. Had such potential.
Nadia
Apr 11, 2014 Nadia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Don't expect some cutesy book about fairies. The further you delve into the story that Angelica writes the more twisted it gets, I might even go so far as to suggest a trigger warning.

Nevertheless this is a beautiful book. My version of it is a beautiful large hardback but the cover is soft like foam. It's absolutely gorgeous and feels really nice. The fairies are amazingly drawn, the splatter effect on the opposing page really give the impression fairies have been squashed between the pages. I
sj
I just today remembered that this book existed. I read the whole thing standing in a used book store one afternoon shortly after it came out, and was more than a little disgusted by it.

The art is lovely, but it was the concept that I found bothersome.

Why?

(view spoiler)

A friend got it for me as a birthday gift not long after I read it, thinking that it would be perfect for faerie loving me, and I gave that grin that says to
Karen
Aug 30, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through the handwritten journal of Lady Cottington we learn details of her life, beginning in early childhood to her later years. Her spelling and penmanship go through the expected changes of maturity. Angelica is obviously thought of as backward by her family and friends, but this only serves her up with a decidedly warped draw. The stories itself is slightly dark, but creative and even a bit sexual. Throughout the book however, it is apparent that a number of men are interested in quirky Ange ...more
Tim Evanson
Oct 23, 2014 Tim Evanson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is typical Monty Python -- lots of sexual innuendo, double-entendre, and some not-so-subtle crudity.

What this book is all about is the incredible artwork, which shows a host of faeries, goblins, elves, and others. All crushed (brutally, gorily, hysterically) between the pages of a book by a Victorian girl. You get funny faces, nudity, gushes of bodily fluid, and outrageous poses.

It's as if you drove a car at high speed through Fairy Land, and photographed the remains on your front win
Monique
Oct 19, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it
This is a very, very funny book about a young girl who catch a faerie in her book... Catched it with a SNAPPP! Because nobody believes her she decides to catch more faeries in her pressed flower book. During the years she SNAP SNAP SNAP catch faeries until she's to old to see them.

The combination of Terry Jones hilarious text and Brian Froud's crazy pressed faeries makes this a wonderful book to read. I had to laugh about every pressed faerie because of the funny faces... hmmm... actually a litt
Nicola
Apr 08, 2015 Nicola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
I Bought this book when it was first released nearly 21 years ago......... Surely it can't be that long! But that might explain the very battered condition of my copy, the spine has been glued & covered in sellotape holding the covers in place......... I do actually look after my books, but I have read it so many times & have lent it to numourus friends.
Terry Jones is at his crazy best with this book, it is absolutely hilarious. Froude's fairies are equally hilarious, not pretty, delicat
Carol
Aug 04, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How very disconcerting to turn the pages of this scrapbook-like tale, and find fairies literally pressed between the pages, much as someone would press a pansy picked in the lane by a lover. If you believe in fairies, this may upset you. If not, this may still upset you. Very entertaining text to go with the fairies, whose expressions when caught and slapped between the pages are very bizarre.
Zarah
Apr 11, 2012 Zarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this book. I love this book so much I've bought it 3 times. I don't mean a copy for myself and two friends, but bought it for myself 3 times. (The first was lost in a move, the third I bought just for a new squashed fairy decal to put in my car window). There isn't a lot of actual writing, but the fairies crack me up every-time I look at them.
Melanti
Jun 25, 2012 Melanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, illustrated
Froud's artwork is as lovely as ever. His pastel, water color type style meshes well with the subject of pressed-fairies. The concept of the naughty, bawdy fairies is quite charming and they had me chuckling to myself.

The story itself - the diary of the girl who captured the fairies - is often amusing and charming, but at times quite terrible.
Natalie Pietro
Aug 14, 2011 Natalie Pietro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, faeries
I love love love this book. I owned the big hardcover edition but this one being small like a journal really gave me the understanding of how she wrote and how small the fairies where that she caught and smashed. It's tiny yet still has that magical imagination. The pictures are still breathtaking. I just love this edition.
Jess
Jan 11, 2011 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Nana once showed me this book when i was little and the faeries looked so realistic it made me
believe they were a real collection of pressed faeries.
This book has since always remained in the back of my mind as a book i'll never forget. there's no other book like it.

Sharon Jones
May 27, 2012 Sharon Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book in my library for years. It is a whimsical book which puts a smile on your face. But the whimsical has a sinister side! The drawings are out of this world and the little "added" touches are worth buying the book and adding it to your library!
Bruce Nordstrom
Jul 02, 2014 Bruce Nordstrom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is a unique book from Terry Jones, best known as a member of the Monty Python comedy group. It begins as a simple children's book, written as though by a child, but then as you read, the handwriting improves, as the child grows older. And her thought processes begin to change. But I don't think "mature" is the correct word.

She starts as a little girl who likes to trap fairies. She sits very quietly with her press book in her laps, and when a fairy lands on the page, she closes the book
Amy
Nov 29, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I didn't know fairies could be so naughty! I wonder what became of them? They just disappeared! The art work is wonderful! I highly recommend this book!
Moriah Farnsworth
Wonderful and much more adult than I was expecting. Love it.
Velvetink
Library borrow; great drawings.
Jamie B.
Jan 22, 2016 Jamie B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom suprised me with this book a couple of years ago. I guess she knew I'd like it, since I've always had an interest in all things magical.
The book is a journal kept by Lady Cottington throughout her life, starting when she's a little girl. When fairies start to land on her book, she snaps it shut and catches a psychic impression of them (very few fairies were actually harmed from this process, so don't worry...it seems many of them were actually trying to get caught). The pictures are mostl
Margot
I have owned this book for years but never got around to reading it until now. Lady Cottington's Pressed Flower Book is a fictional diary of a young girl growing into adulthood, only there's something a bit unique about this diary. Meant originally to press flowers, the journal is instead used by the little girl to squash unsuspecting faeries that she finds around the grounds of the Cottington estate. Only, no one believes her when she tells her parents and their servants about the faeries. She ...more
Jessica
Nov 18, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humour, art, a-m
Well, this was a difficult book to rate, mainly because somewhere there should have been some mention that this wasn't merely a cute picture book. I picked it up thinking it would simply be a series of smashed fairy pictures with cute, light descriptions by the girl who did the squishing. This book, while full of fun, interesting pictures, is not a light book, nor a children's book.

And I guess that was my main issue with it. It was well done. The pictures were fascinating, and the story was good
Wayne
Sep 05, 2015 Wayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book. Not your standard fairy tale for your child. This volume records in authentic facsimile the latest incarnation of this notorious book along with eight additional pages and enhanced artwork throughout, virtually overflowing with freshly flattened fairies. Former Monty Python member Terry Jones and artist Brian Froud provide a new introduction to place the book in its proper perspective, offering insight into the book's often maligned historic relevance.
Cheryl
Jan 19, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Humorous and a bit morbid, this is a quirky, fun book. The book is written in the form of a diary of a young girl growing into adulthood. In her diary she collects faeries and goblins, which she smooshes in the pages much as you would flowers.

Brian Froud's artwork is, as usual, lovely. Matched with the humor of Terry Jones and this is a funny, beautiful book. As a kid I mainly focused on the artwork of the pressed fairies but the text if a lot of fun.
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Letters
  • Gnomes
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • The Fairies
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • The Art of Amy Brown
  • The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #3)
  • Are All the Giants Dead?
  • Amphigorey Also
  • Spectrum 9: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art
Terence Graham Parry Jones is a Welsh comedian, screenwriter and actor, film director, children's author, popular historian, political commentator and TV documentary host. He is best known as a member of the Monty Python comedy team.
More about Terry Jones...

Lady Cottington (3 books)
  • Lady Cottington's Fairy Album