Start by marking “Country Living The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen: Live Well, Laugh Often, Cook Much” as Want to Read:

Meet The Farm Chicks! “Mompreneurs” Serena Thompson and Teri Edwards have achieved super-success, winning fans everywhere with their creativity and family-friendly food and craft projects. In just a few short years, they’ve established an annual antiques fair, created a line of products (jewelry, clothing, stationery), and become contributing editors at Country Living. Now

Published April 7th 2009 by Hearst

To ask other readers questions about Country Living The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Country Living The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen

Sue
Aug 12, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a really cute cookbook. It's full of adorable decorating ideas, nice recipes, and great kitchen tips. A few of the recipes that I would love to try but didn't get a chance to are: pumpkin waffles, maple oat scones, golden potato bake, sour cream and onion zucchini cakes, enchilada soup, and I could go on forever....
Vivian
Oct 21, 2013 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-cook-books
Wow. Great layouts. Homey personal touches. Meet Serena and Teri through their story introductions replete with photos and find out about their transition from whatever they were to becoming "farm chicks".

Next prepare for their kitchen tutorials -- first breakfast (with a nice table of contents for the section). Cinnamon rolls, anyone? Cherry breakfast swirl? Nutmeg coffee cake? Pumpkin waffles? Cardamom griddlecakes and maple cardamom cream? (Oh, and there are ingredient substitution suggestion
Janette
Jan 23, 2016 Janette rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, crafts
I really enjoyed this book. I read it cover to cover in one day. I would say that it's equally a craft book and memoir as much as it is a cookbook. The recipes didn't impress me as much as the other topics. Very interesting story of these entrepreneurs. Inspiring.
Jeanette
Oct 04, 2009 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2009
I love cookbooks and cookbooks with a story are my favorite kind of cookbook therefor The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen is my new favorite cookbook. The recipes I've tried have all been amazing and I love the story of the Farm Chicks, how they met and how they became the Farm Chicks etc. Just a great book that I highly recommend to anyone who likes to cook or bake. The book also includes several craft projects and while I am not much of a crafty person I am tempted to try my hand at some of these p ...more
Karen
Jan 21, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
This book about 2 women who start a business by offering to clean out farm buildings if they can keep what they find there is very well done. There are recipes, biographies of the authors and their business, and craft ideas using things they have found and they are sure you can find good stuff and make similar items. I might have added another star if I had had a chance to make any of the recipes or try any of the craft ideas, but maybe in the future I can try some of the recipes or crafts.
Just - The romance reader
The Farm Chicks have such a wonderful style. The book, like their style feels so homey and relaxed. Very shabby chic, which I love. Their decor and craft ideas are great, and the recipes look delish. I enjoyed the stories throughout the book about their lives and how they came to be "The Farm Chicks". The photos were also wonderful, not only the present day photos but also those from their childhoods and life before becoming a Farm Chick.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Good book in theory. Interesting craft ideas but not a single recipe was worth copying down. About half is crafts and about half is recipes.

For those that like photos of each recipe... you'll get photos of some but not all of the recipes in this book. Maybe half. Alot of space went to descriptions and photos of the crafty items and not the food.
Deidre
Feb 06, 2012 Deidre rated it liked it
Several recipes were high fat, low taste & needed tweeking. Chocolate Butter Cake was a hit in my house but maple scones were dry as cardboard. I really enjoyed the back story & family photos of the "Chicks" who created an empire of recycling & made farm "couture" cool again. Really excited to use patterns for vintage aprons & dish covers.
SallyHP
Nov 22, 2011 SallyHP rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
My friend Michelle recommended this book to me awhile ago, and i loved looking at it at her house, but forgot the title. Trusty amazon recommended it to me based on my other cookbook purchases. I love all the asides and crafts in it! What's more, I'd love to check out their antiques show one year. Day trip anyone?
Crystal
Feb 16, 2010 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I want to buy this... so cute, with such simple recipe and craft ideas. This is a really cute, fun book. I actually have no idea who the authors are, but it seems they're famous somehow. So there are a lot of photos of them and their life stories and such. But mostly, the recipes are simple and fun.
LeAnn
Oct 04, 2009 LeAnn rated it really liked it
The Farm Chicks are from the Spokane area and do a huge funky antique show every year here. The show is awesome - no junk - all supercool stuff with some sort of funky twist. So....picked up their book. A really fun read of their life stories, farm chick ideas/projects and lots of yummy recipes.
Aubrie
May 13, 2010 Aubrie added it
fun to look at. has pumpkin waffle recipe i want to try. has recipes interspersed with crafts, stories, pretty pictures. also kind of annoying though. they find vintage tablecloths and other delights at garage sales, but all i see is broken exercise equipment and soiled clothing.
Hannah
Nov 04, 2010 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is excellent! Fresh, fun, country-style yumms to make your mouth water. I got it for Christmas, which was great!! (I used to check it out from the library... how cheap is that? I never got around to buying my own copy.) Anyway, I'm sure you'll love it.

Gigi Minor
Jun 29, 2010 Gigi Minor rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I really like the concept of this book! Loved the stories and backgrounds on family and friends. Have tried a few of the recipes and loved them all so far but I wish one thing: maybe more recipes with really healthy home grown ingredients.
Jennie
Feb 14, 2010 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-books
This is both a cookbook and a craftbook, but I put it in with the craft books because I like the craft ideas so much. The food covers and the scone cozy are particularly cute and I'm so going to use them! The recipes are delicious too.
Sally
Apr 22, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sally by: The Farm Chicks blog
Shelves: cookbooks
More than a cookbook! This book includes charming anecdotes about the authors, clever crafts, and fun decorating ideas, as well as what looks to be some delicious down-home recipes with a twist. A very pretty book.
Chelsea
Dec 16, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
didn't know cookbooks were on goodreads! i love this one! ..and have made more recipes from this book than any other! just made the granola last night.. it's sooo yummy :D
Amanda
Dec 12, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
This is a neat cookbook ~ more to it than just recipes. Some cute crafts, tips, and history of the authors. Some good recipes and I've bookmarked several to try.
Rachel Folden
This is a another great cookbook. The illustrations are beautiful too. The recipes are easy and straighforward, if you enjoy cooking.
Cassi Campbell
Nov 07, 2009 Cassi Campbell rated it really liked it
I loved this cookbook. It was fun to look at and I love the simple recipes. I'm a big fan of their farm shows, blog, and website, too.
Crafty P
Nov 10, 2009 Crafty P rated it really liked it
great photos and the savory sweet potato soup is delicious! Can't wait to make more!
Nicole
Jun 01, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
great down home recipes and clever decorating ideas interspersed throughout.
Kathy
Jun 29, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Interesting book -- perhaps more useful for craft suggestions than recipes.
Gina
Jan 16, 2010 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The Apple Puff Pancake is amazing! I make it anytime I need a brunch dish.
Heather
May 14, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
going to make a bunch of their recipes soon! I'm in a pie baking mood...
Relyn
Mar 11, 2016 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Country Living maga zine as it has that sort of feel
Recommended to Relyn by: Country Living Magazine
Shelves: foodies-cooking
This had a few neat kitchenish ideas, but the food was not compelling.
Kim
Jul 17, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
You MUST try the Enchilada Soup recipe in this book! Fabulous!
Susan Erhardt
Sep 04, 2009 Susan Erhardt rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Good, basic recipes -- interesting back story on the "farm chicks".
Shannon
Jan 17, 2010 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Fun recipes and craft ideas; love the photography!
Dec 26, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Fun and folksy. A quick, engaging read.
  • Autumn from the Heart of the Home
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life: How to Sew a Sampler Quilt & 49 Other Pioneer Projects for the Modern Girl
  • The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever
  • Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich
  • Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook
  • SprinkleBakes: Dessert Recipes to Inspire Your Inner Artist
  • Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook
  • Cookie Craft: From Baking to Luster Dust, Designs and Techniques for Creative Cookie Occasions
  • Joy the Baker Homemade Decadence: Irresistibly Sweet, Salty, Gooey, Sticky, Fluffy, Creamy, Crunchy Treats
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes
  • Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery