Start by marking “Crowner Royal (Crowner John Mystery, #13)” as Want to Read:
Crowner Royal (Crowner John Mystery, #13)

Crowner Royal (Crowner John Mystery #13)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  15 reviews
London, 1196. At the command of Richard the Lionheart, Sir John de Wolfe has left his beloved West Country for the Palace of Westminster, where he has been appointed Coroner of the Verge. But with the king overseas, embroiled in a costly war against King Philip of France, Sir John is dismayed to discover that the English court is a hotbed of greed, corruption and petty in- ...more
Published April 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Crowner Royal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crowner Royal

Bettie☯

Description: London, 1196. At the command of Richard the Lionheart, Sir John de Wolfe has left his beloved West Country for the Palace of Westminster, where he has been appointed Coroner of the Verge. But with the king overseas, embroiled in a costly war against King Philip of France, Sir John is dismayed to discover that the English court is a hotbed of greed, corruption and petty in-fighting.
The murder of one of the palace clerks, stabbed in broad daylight and thrown into the River Thames, lea
John Lee
I like this series but, like John, his officer and his scribe, I prefer Devon to London for the setting.
In the description of the journey of Queen Eleanor, I could see Bernard Knight as an earlyday Dimbleby.
Jerome
I found this book to be a rather ho-hum detective story set in jolly old England. I don't think I will be reading anything else by this author.
Kathy
yeah. I have just one more to read and then I am done giving this series a chance. If I had to describe the action, I would say it goes over old ground again and again, is full of introductions and explanations of who is who and what is what and on and on. It is a very detached narrative as if a boring teacher is trying to explain history to a lesser being. I've only read two of these and have had to read explanations of how many "mistresses" John had over the years. Yeah. Well, on to the last a ...more
Marie
This is the thirteenth novel in the Crowner John series, where a medieval detective gets the nasty job of determining the various whodunit's that all seem to happen at the same time. This one has a little bit of everything in it, from the main character brooding about women troubles to him avidly supporting his absent King. There are bodies floating in rivers, lying face down in marshes, missing suspects, and the very important English treasure trove has been looted as well.

Before one mystery ev
Spuddie
Crowner John has moved from the Devon west country where he was the Coroner for the county of Devon, but now at the behest of his king has become Coroner of the Verge, dealing with cases within a 12-mile radius of the King's Court, wherever it might be. He's homesick (as is his assistant Gwyn) and bored, as there seems to be very little activity--and when a dead body or two do show up, his jurisdiction is questioned at every turn by the local sheriff.

I wasn't as fond of this book as previous on
Dan Shirley
Rubbish. clunky and stilted, I could never forget that it was a book; someone had written it and I was reading it. I never immersed.

Now it might have taken off after a few more pages than the twenty or so I managed, but there are too many books out there that I want to read to waste any more time on it.
Kyle
I enjoyed listening to this audiobook, but gave it three stars because Mr. Knight was a bit long winded about his enlightenment of the history of Richard the Lionheart. This was a bit taxing at times, but overall interesting. The narrator with his accent landed ideally to the authenticity of the story.

Once the story took off, I was captivated and really caught up with the investigation. I found myself being as frustrated as the main character as his investigation kept running into brick walls. B
Kathleen
A great book and series..I started immediately on the next one and then have a few priors to read.
My favorite series of all times..
Susan
Excellent medieval masterpiece, only one criticism, he occasionally forgets the names of his lesser characters e.g in the last book, Avice was named as Gwyn's wife in this one he called her Martha even though it's obviously the same character ,also Rufus the castle's monk is sometimes called Ralph .
Joan
Nowhere near as interesting as others by Bernard Knight. There was too much description of John de Wolfe's life in Westminster - no wonder he wanted to get back to Exeter as quickly as possible. The murderous action was a long time coming..!
Joanne
might have worked better is I was reading it versus listening. It moved at the pace of the middle ages...and that is hard for me! Lots of seemingly accurate period detail...did not finish.
Nic
I love all the Crowner John books. This one was different but I still found it a good read
Susan Moore
I enjoyed this book. It kept me guessing until the end.
Loraine
Not as good as his previous books.
John Berlin
John Berlin marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Irene Esposito
Irene Esposito marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Wendi B
Wendi B marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Jun 10, 2015
Brenda Reeve
Brenda Reeve marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • The Malice of Unnatural Death (Knights Templar, #22)
  • The Stolen Voice (Gilbert Cunningham, #6)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • Murder in the Holy City (Sir Geoffrey Mappestone, #1)
Aka Bernard Picton.

Professor Bernard Knight, CBE, (born 1931) became a Home Office pathologist in 1965 and was appointed Professor of Forensic Pathology, University of Wales College of Medicine, in 1980. He has been writing since before 1963, when his first crime novel was published. Since then, he has written about thirty books, including contemporary crime fiction, historical novels about Wales,
More about Bernard Knight...

Crowner John Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Sanctuary Seeker (Crowner John Mystery #1)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • Crowner's Quest (Crowner John Mystery #3)
  • The Awful Secret (Crowner John Mystery #4)
  • The Tinner's Corpse (Crowner John Mystery #5)
  • The Grim Reaper (Crowner John Mystery #6)
  • Fear in the Forest (Crowner John Mystery #7)
  • The Witch Hunter (Crowner John Mystery #8)
  • Figure of Hate (Crowner John Mystery #9)
  • The Elixir of Death (Crowner John Mystery #10)
The Sanctuary Seeker (Crowner John Mystery #1) The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2) Crowner's Quest (Crowner John Mystery #3) The Witch Hunter (Crowner John Mystery #8) The Tinner's Corpse (Crowner John Mystery #5)