Cooking in a Bedsitter. Katharine Whitehorn

Cooking in a Bedsitter. Katharine Whitehorn

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  3 reviews
A reprint of the original 1961 edition Cooking in a Corner
Published September 4th 2008 by Virago Press (UK) (first published July 30th 1961)

Dorian
My mother bought me a copy of this book, which had then just been reissued, when I went off to my first (and so far only) bedsit in 1988. That copy went walkies, sometime over the years, and later a kind friend gave me a spare copy that she happened to have - a copy of the 1967 Cookery Book Club edition, which still has the chapter on Drink in (it was excised from the 1980s reprint).

It remains one of my favourite books about cooking - not for the recipes, none of which I have ever been inspired...more
Celilo
I first bought this book in London on my way to school in a small town in Italy many years ago. It not only gave advice that I still use (warm plates on top of pot instead of using lid), it provided much amusement during that lonely year.

I'm not sure that I used many of the recipes (tripe just doesn't work it's way into my menus) but the entertainment and "how to's" of handling cooking problems have been invaluable. I find myself giving some of the tips to my daughter (guests will arrive any mi...more
Rachel Hawes
Written in the late 50s when, in the UK at least, if you left home and weren't getting married you lived in a room in a house with a shared bathroom and one gas ring (so no cooker and no kitchen sink).

Republished a couple of years ago as the crowded standards of living for singletons in London is regressing to 50s standards.

Hilarious to read, but honestly I wouldn't try the recipes!
Rafiullah
Rafiullah marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Dian Rosanti
Dian Rosanti marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Gavin
Gavin added it
Feb 09, 2013
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Fnord7
Fnord7 marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Rachel Court
Rachel Court marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2012
Susi
Susi added it
Aug 21, 2012
Chris Rogers
Chris Rogers marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2012
Jessica McCauley
Jessica McCauley marked it as to-read
May 04, 2012
Peter
Peter added it
Apr 17, 2012
Sunny
Sunny marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2012
Katharine Whitehorn is a columnist with the Observer. Famous for her classic book for Londoners: Cooking in a Bedsitter in the 60s.

She has lived in Finland and America and now spends much time on a small river-boat with her husband thriller-writer Gavin Lyall, with whom she lives in Hampstead.

More about Katharine Whitehorn...
Selective Memory Cooking in a Bedsitter How To Survive In The Kitchen View From A Column Roundabout