Start by marking “The Age of Confucian Rule: The Song Transformation of China” as Want to Read:
The Age of Confucian Rule: The Song Transformation of China

The Age of Confucian Rule: The Song Transformation of China (History of Imperial China #4)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Just over a thousand years ago, the Song dynasty emerged as the most advanced civilization on earth. Within two centuries, China was home to nearly half of all humankind. In this concise history, we learn why the inventiveness of this era has been favorably compared with the European Renaissance, which in many ways the Song transformation surpassed.

With the chaotic dissolu
Published March 1st 2009 by Belknap Press

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Confucian Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Confucian Rule

Hadrian

A consort of the Zhenzong Emperor. Note the elaborate headdress with miniature figures inside.

The Song Dynasty does not have a good reputation. In military terms, it was perceived as a time of weakness. The kingdom was harassed by the Khitan and Turgut tribes in the north, invaded by the Jurchens, who took Beijing and split the country in two, and then finally overrun by the Mongols entirely by 1279.

Dieter Kuhn presents an alternative view in this volume, the fourth in the series on the history
Mel
I must admit when I put this book on my wish list I hadn't paid very close attention. I thought it was going to be a scholarly, intellectual history particularly on the rise of neo-Confucianism in the Song dynasty. What it actually is, is a general history of the Song. The first half covers the political and military history of the dynasty (including the foreign dynasties in the North) and the second half is more of a social and economic history on different aspects of the dynasty. As such it wa ...more
Jonathan
The 10th to the 13th centuries in China saw impressive advancements in the economy, science and technology, the arts and other sectors of society. The Song dynasty was the era in which the Chinese invented and perfected, for instance, paper money, movable-type printing and vastly improved mechanized means of production, all underlain by a rationalistic Confucian philosophy and state ideology, and managed by a new class of officials, chosen by a set of competitive civil service examinations, whic ...more
Ayu
This was written by a different person than the one I'm used to. The organization of the chapters is different and some parts are slightly too dense for my taste, but I enjoyed getting a basic look on lief during the Song Dynasty.
Michael Gibbs
An extremely informative overview. Some of the bibliography and notes could be a little clearer, but overall the book is indispensable.
Bryn Hammond
I doubt you can do better on the topic. Sensible, stuffed with information, and not off-putting to me, who's on the Mongols' side.
Beata Krajewska
Beata Krajewska marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Michelle Jin
Michelle Jin marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Matt Giddings
Matt Giddings marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Daniel Watts
Daniel Watts marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Megan
Megan is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2015
Joshua Linkous
Joshua Linkous marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Daniel Thompson
Daniel Thompson marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Aivlis
Aivlis marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Galvin
Galvin marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Yuska Vonita
Yuska Vonita marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

History of Imperial China (6 books)
  • The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han (History of Imperial China)
  • China between Empires: The Northern and Southern Dynasties (History of Imperial China)
  • China's Cosmopolitan Empire: The Tang Dynasty
  • The Troubled Empire: China in the Yuan and Ming Dynasties
  • China's Last Empire: The Great Qing
Der Parzival Des Wolfram Von Eschenbach Clara Schumann, Klavier: Ein Lebensbuch Chinas Goldenes Zeitalter: Die Tang-Dynastie (618-907 N. Chr.) Und Das Kulturelle Erbe Der Seidenstrasse Frau Merian! Eine Lebensgeschichte Josephine: Aus der öffentlichen Biographie der Josephine Baker.