Start by marking “The Winter At Valley Forge: Survival and Victory” as Want to Read:
The Winter At Valley Forge: Survival and Victory

The Winter At Valley Forge: Survival and Victory

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Through dramatic depictions of significant moments in American history, this informative series gives young readers a vivid sense of Colonial American life -- its farms and villages, cities and ports, and the struggles and dreams of its inhabitants. Illustrated and indexed.
Published February 23rd 1999 by Troll Communications (first published May 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Winter At Valley Forge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter At Valley Forge

Darlene
I read this non-fiction book aloud to my children.

The book is told in epistolary fashion as a series of diary entries from December 1777 to May 1778. It relates the harsh conditions that the soldiers had to endure through the winter at Valley Forge. The soldiers suffered in the bitter cold and had little sustenance. Diseases, such as typhus and smallpox, were rampant in the unsanitary camp. Their clothes were threadbare, and many men had limbs amputated due to frostbite.

General Washington remain
Anne
Mar 24, 2014 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anne by: Sonlight
Shelves: sonlight-books
Short little book with good illustrations written like a journal - gives the young reader a good idea of what that winter was like for our Colonial army.
Karen
Jacob rates this 5 star, Ellie says 3 1/2 stars, Mom says 4 stars
Heather
This was a nice, short book about the winter at Valley Forge. The author handled the harshness without being gory. It was told in a journal format so it seemed to bounce around a bit, but I think it helped the boys feel like someone was really talking to them about their experiences.

The illustrations are nicely done, and are black and white, no color.

Overall a book we enjoyed and will use again. They actually groaned when I stopped after reading half and didn't want to wait for the next day.
Shelli
Loved it! What a fantastic resource for educators! While the story length was small, only 32 pages with illustrations, the message was clear. The conditions the soldiers had to endure at Valley Forge the winter of 1777 was perilous. Written in journal format, you can see how quickly a person can loose hope when hunger and fear sets in. Great vocabulary words and engaging conversations you can have with your child or student to see their comprehension.
Lori
This story is one of my favorites. I have read it over and over to my children. They love it, too. It is a great reminder of what so many people went through so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have today. It is also a great reminder that faith and passion are so much stronger than anything else.
Jeannine
Nice descriptive look at that winter without getting into gory details.
Tammy
I enjoy the first-person account. What a tough time! I wouldn't have survived!!
PWRL
Oct 25, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jul 29, 2015
BaseCampFamLibrary
BaseCampFamLibrary marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Lori
Lori added it
Jun 18, 2015
Kristi
Kristi added it
Apr 16, 2015
Sarah Hastings
Sarah Hastings marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Kristi
Kristi added it
Apr 11, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jamestown, New World Adventure Blue Feather's Vision: The Dawn of Colonial America (Adventures in Colonial America) Sailing to America: Colonists at Sea Boston Tea Party: Rebellion in the Colonies (Adventures in Colonial America) Journey to Monticello: Traveling in Colonial Times (Adventures in Colonial America)