Start by marking “Mr. Pine's Purple House” as Want to Read:
Mr. Pine's Purple House

Mr. Pine's Purple House (Mr. Pine)

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  211 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Recently returned to print, "Mr. Pine's Purple House," first published in 1965, was a favorite for many years. The book tells the story of how Mr. Pine cleverly solved the problem of living on a street that had too many white houses!
Published October 1st 2001 by Purple House Press (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Pine's Purple House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Pine's Purple House

Charlotte
Sep 18, 2008 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with children, children's books
This was my favorite book as a child! Purple was my favorite color and of course this book was about purple! My mother gave me the book before she died (even though I wasn't yet a year-old) and I still have it. It is one of my most cherished belongings, but I've already ordered a copy to have on hand for my own one day. I can't wait to read it to my child and use the funny voices I use to use when I would read it aloud to myself! :)
David
Feb 23, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book growing up. My mom read us a copy that she had got when she was a little girl. I was recently surprised to see that it was still in one piece. This is an excellent book for children. Short, colorful and not written like all kids are idiots like some children's books.
Hannah
Jul 21, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My siblings and I found this book at our grandma's house, and we read it many times. I still think of Mr. Pine when I see cookie-cutter houses in subdivisions!
Chiedzachashe
this is the first book i remember reading as a child. beautiful story about standing out.
Connie
Jun 21, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Pine has a problem. He can't tell his house from everybody else's.

So he tries one thing, and another, but people keep copying his good ideas! Finally he gets the idea to paint his house purple, and after a few mishaps he does - and starts a trend to paint houses all sorts of strange colors. But only one of them is purple :)

It's a cute story, though a little wordy for a read-aloud.
Sheri
Jan 21, 2010 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: demetrius
My childhood favorite, one of Demetrius' favorites... gee, I wonder why?
Purple has always been my favorite color, plus this book has such a great message about individuality. I'm not sure I got the message when I was younger, but the purple paint surely caught my interest and I was bound and determined to have a purple house of my own someday. So far I have settled for a purple couch.
Stan Paulsen
Sep 02, 2008 Stan Paulsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this book as a child and still remember its impact on me. This is one of only a few of my childhood books that I still own. A great book about individuality! Perhaps this explains why I'm so... different. =:) I don't have a generic house in a generic neighborhood that I've had to paint purple, but I do have a purple front door on my house!
Tanya
Apr 07, 2012 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I'm not entirely sure why they love this book so much, but it is true that my children do. Perhaps because it doesn't follow the typical formula of three things happen, then the denouement, then it is over. The denouement is a story in and of itself.
Natalie
Mr. Pine keeps gettin' his ideas ripped off left and right. That would totally piss me off.

It seems that everyone else that read this book on GoodReads is rating it based on nostalgia. You know they have come up with way better books since 1965.
Cherlynn Womack
May 10, 2011 Cherlynn Womack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Leonard Kessler is an amazing author & illustrator for children. I loved his, Mr. Pine's Mixed Up Signs as a child & still have the book to this day. Even as an adult, I am collecting all of his books for when I have children one day.
Weavre
Jul 14, 2008 Weavre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any child
Recommended to Weavre by: my mother
My childhood favorite, second only to Where the Wild Things Are ... once I branched beyond The Three Bears, anyway!

If you have a child and haven't read this book, scurry now to your nearest public library!
Charmaine
Mar 29, 2012 Charmaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This children's book should be manditory reading for all the developers out there would like building cookie-cutter houses.

Being different & unique is so much better than being exactly the same as everyone else.
Margaret
May 29, 2013 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
I still am not a fan of how much this costs for such a book, but it's on the wishlist. It has good repetition and is interesting and fun. I also thinking looking at these images it might encourage young artists to try.
Rachel
Mar 29, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another early reader classic. I've never met a kid that didn't LOVE reading this book...or an adult that didn't mind having it read and re-read to them. I'm a huge fan of all the Mr. Pine books.
Tim
Sep 09, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children
Another great book from my childhood. A wonderful story about a man who tries to establish his own unique identity on a street where everything is the same.
Stephanie
Mar 26, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
At the tender age of 6 or so, my little nonconformist heart was moved by this book. Mr. Pine is my hero!
Amy
Oct 22, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
This might be the piece of literature most alluded to in conversations with my family!
Michol
Mar 16, 2008 Michol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books as a child, teaches us that different is good.
Angie
Sep 17, 2015 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children
one of my favorites as a child!
Canyon's Mom
Feb 07, 2011 Canyon's Mom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Book I ever read by myself!
Ruth
Sep 03, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read for little kids.
Evie
Jun 13, 2008 Evie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahh, fond memories of childhood.
Kimberly Faith
Sep 25, 2008 Kimberly Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly Faith by: My mom
My hands down favorite children's book!
Dev
Dec 31, 2013 Dev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute and creative!
Cindi
Jan 06, 2009 Cindi marked it as to-read
Melcat
Viji
Viji marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Lynne Marie
Lynne Marie rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Lynn Demsky
Lynn Demsky marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016