Start by marking “El naranjo” as Want to Read:
El naranjo

El naranjo

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Los personajes de estos cuentos arriesgan la vida y sufren injusticias sin llegar a satisfacer sus ambiciones: un marinero portugues que lanza una botella al mar, un soldado espanol que vive entre indios y sirve de interprete a Cortes, un noble griego que pone sitio a Numancia, un hijo de Cortes implicado en una conspiracion en contra del rey, y un actor de Hollywood que v ...more
Published March 1st 1994 by Santillana USA Pub Co Inc (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about El naranjo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El naranjo

Alireza
كتاب درخت پرتقال فوئنتس كتاب خوبي است . اين كتاب در واقع بايد شامل پنج داستان باشد و يكي از داستانها( اپولون و فاحشه ها) به دلايلي كه مغايرت با فرهنگ ما دارد چاپ نشده است. تمامي داستانها از زبان مردگان روايت ميشود.گاهي روند كتاب چنان كند است كه احساس خستگي به خواننده ميدهد مخصوصا در دو داستان اول ولي در دو داستان پاياني كندي داستان كمتر ميشود( شايد دليل اين كندي بد بودن ترجمه باشد). به نظر من داستان اخر(دو امريكا) بهترين داستان از چهار داستان موجود در كتاب است.

درخت پرتقال نوشته كارلوس فونتس ترجم
Marie
I have been very expectant about this author's work since I heard good comments on The Death of Artemio Cruz, but while I reserve judgement of his figure as an author until I read something else, I was not very convinced by what I have read on this book.

I do love his use of structures and temporal deconstructions but still I cannot get in the otherwise overtly sexual nature of his narrations, which often denigrate characters by reducing them to their genitals, and emphasizing the supposed dirtin
Suanne Laqueur
Five novellas spanning a wide range of eras and characters. Each features an orange tree, symbol of Spain, brought by the Moors to Spain and by the conquistadors to Mexico.

The Two Shores explores the power of language and interpretors in the New World; from his grave, the narrator tells of his adventures in the service of Hernan Cortes.
The Sons of Cortes, is told in counterpoinrt by the two sons of Cortes, one legitimate, the other the son of Cortes’ Mayan mistress. The two Martins bring the man
Kristin
I waivered between giving this book 3 and 4 stars. I thought the writing was excellent and unique. Very different from anything I have read lately. However, the subject matter of the stories is not for the faint of heart and some of it is downright disturbing and odd. :) Overall I really enjoyed this book, though.
pjr8888
Jan 28, 2010 pjr8888 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vivencio gregorio atutubo iii
Shelves: mexico-latin-am
Originally published in Spanish as El naranjo, o los circulos del tiempo
Karlo Mikhail
Exquisitely told stories playing with narrative form and Latin America's history of colonization and anti-colonial resistance. The best Carlos Fuentes book I read from him so far.
Elsje
Een serie verhalen over verovering: van Zuid-Amerika door de conquistadores, van Spanje door de Romeinen, van het paradijselijke eiland waarop Columbus gestrand is door Japanse projectontwikkelaars geconfisceerd wordt. Mooi!

Wat me trouwens wel verbaast is dat de bundel die origineel El naranjo (de sinaasappelboom) heet, in het Nederlands Apollo en de hoeren heet, voor mij het minst aansprekende verhaal uit de bundel over een man die met een aantal hoertjes de zee op gaat en daar tijdens de seks
Hburke727
Especially in the last story, "The Two Americas", all the glorious intuition that the state of mankind is fallen somehow, not quite following a path of purity and simplicity of ambitions somehow, is distilled and conveyed like a shot of tequila. Fuentes' imagination as a weapon aimed at the complacent. A "nail sticking out" who through his work refuses to be hammered down. Read this for the sense that there are others who have seen and hoped for more than this.
Veronica
Love this book. Makes my chest hurt when I read it. Past, present future. Set in Mexico, about identity, outside influence, internal perception, human spirit and the collective identity of a country. I think.
It's themes are almost too big for my brain.
Pierre Fortier
Une vedette d'Hollywood meure sur un voilier entouré de 7 danseuses après une nuit orgiaques. Tous les ingrédients pour un roman sulfureux donnant plutôt un livre sans intérêt. Déception de cet écrivain mexicain.
Joanna
I have held onto this book, waiting to be in the mood to read it, since 1996 at least. It is time for me to let it go. I did make a valiant attempt to force myself to read it and it is just not my thing.
Amber
I don't have the stamina for, I guess, historical fiction? Also, some of the steamier passages in one of the sections were causing me to feel feelings, which is unpleasant.
علی
این کتاب با نام "درخت پرتقال" توسط عبدالله کوثری ترجمه شده و در سال 1385 قرار بود توسط انتشارات طرح نو چاپ و منتشر شود که خبری ندارم آیا این کار صورت گرفته یا نه.
Juan
Four short stories from one of the best Latin American writers of the twentieth century. While the short stories included are good, but they are not his best.
Andrew
Jun 17, 2009 Andrew added it
The first section of this is a touching and humorous look at the downfall of the Mayan empire that I really enjoyed.
Sare
A lot of interesting perspectives, but I didn't need to know that much about Cortes's turgid hairy balls.
Annie
Only read the 1st two (of 5 stories), as they were the ones that pertained to La Malinche....just ok.
Aline
A really strange book, told from the point of view of a death man. Really enjoyable though.
Paul
Bought at Watertown Library 7.6.11
Victor
signed by author
Ashley Lawlor
Ashley Lawlor marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Brenda Rockets
Brenda Rockets marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
  • Art and Ardor
  • Instrucciones para salvar el mundo
  • The Last Will & Testament of Senhor da Silva Araújo
  • Selected Short Stories of Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • A Plan for Escape
  • Fever
  • Every Man Is a Race
  • In the Galapagos Islands with Herman Melville, the Encantadas or Enchanted Isles
  • England, My England
  • Four Hands: A Novel
  • Lunar Caustic
  • The King in the Tree: Three Novellas
  • A obscena senhora D
  • پرتره
Carlos Fuentes Macías was a Mexican writer and one of the best-known novelists and essayists of the 20th century in the Spanish-speaking world. Fuentes influenced contemporary Latin American literature, and his works have been widely translated into English and other languages.

Fuentes was born in Panama City, Panama; his parents were Mexican. Due to his father being a diplomat, during his childhoo
More about Carlos Fuentes...
Aura The Death of Artemio Cruz The Old Gringo La región más transparente Terra Nostra

“¿Cuánto durarán las nuevas mansiones de nuestro único dios, construidas sobre las ruinas de no uno, sino mil dioses?” 3 likes
“México es un país herido de nacimiento, amamantado por la leche del rencor, criado con el arrullo de la sombra.” 1 likes