Start by marking “The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)

The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion #5)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  4,694 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Satan has won the Triple Crown, yet Alec still misses the Black, who’s living in Arabia with Sheikh Abu Ishak. Unexpectedly, Alec receives word that the sheikh has died and has left the Black to Alec. A race between the Black and Satan is inevitable, but unexpected events put the horses in the path of a raging forest fire. Suddenly, they are racing for their lives.
Published 1977 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion and Satan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion and Satan

Melody
Now this is more like it. The Black is back, with his small, proud head, his finely molded muzzle, his arrogant carriage! And Alec, impetuous and wrong-headed, sure of himself and his stallion. Also Henry, wise, grizzled and always right. Plus adventure! Fires! Horse fights! Horse races! Police action!

Every bit as good as I remembered, but I'd forgotten the painfully awful Italian dialect Farley put in the mouth of Tony who is always referred to as "the huckster". Itsa beeg, beeg shame, thatsa
Mirrani
When I read Farley's work I am always amazed at how capable he is of capturing the essence of action and suspense in his adventure stories. You would think that he carried a tape recorder around with him and dictated chaotic events as they were happening so that they could be used later, because the action is so perfectly done, it's as if you're watching it or listening to it yourself. All of this is done without the lengthy descriptions that some authors rely on to express danger or distress. T ...more
Rena Sherwood
Who is faster -- The Black or his son Satan? Imaginative way for readers to find out. Keep in mind that this book was written decades before international travel for horse races became the norm.
Dark-Draco
In the fourth instalment of the series, Alec is facing a crisis - he loves racing Satan, but has begun to feel as if the horse is no longer his. He longs for the days when he had the Black - so when he receives a letter to say that the Black is returning and will be his for real, he is over the moon. But word gets out and soon everyone is speculating as to which is the fastest horse - the Black or his son. A race is devised, with some of the top stallions from around the world invited to take pa ...more
Wendy
I don't have much to say about this one.... There's a lot of lead-in to what ends up being an extremely rushed climax. That was pretty disconcerting.

Also, I wish Farley would have realized that he's crap at having his horse characters meet up in a race, because he loves them all, and stopped doing it. And I think we all figured that the Black was going to (view spoiler), so we didn't really need a book about it, but the premise was actually okay, if
Jill Ford moreland
Love the Walter Farley books!
Bonnie
I started re-reading The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley in April and read five more from that series in May: Son of the Black Stallion, The Black Stallion and Satan, The Island Stallion, The Island Stallion's Fury, and The Blood Bay Colt. Only The Black Stallion and Satan was as enjoyable as when I was a kid, though I remember never really caring for the Island Stallion "spin-offs" or the two books on harness racing. Where's Alec and The Black? Bring 'em back!
Lynne Stringer
This was the second Black Stallion book I ever read and I was confused when it started with a different horse, having missed the introduction of Satan in the previous novel. Once I got over my confusion, I found it very enjoyable and though it was well written and well thought out. Loved the exciting race at the end.
Elizabeth
Who is faster, the Black Stallion or Satan, his son? No one really knows. The race of the century is on!

And off, as the horses to race are strike with Equine Infectious Anemia and must be quarantined.

Will the two great stallions face each other, or will they never make it to the track?
Bea
Reading for The Black Stallion Reading Challenge.

I thought I'd read this one before but very little was familiar, most of was new. The writing was okay, nothing special. Farley used a LOT of exclamation points. I did like the portrayal of Alec, it felt realistic.
I'm weeding this because when I opened it the pages fell out, but seriously this has got to be the most awesome title ever. Also it was a trifecta of win when I also found a trippy book about white horses and witchcraft that takes place in Columbus.
Maya Rock
Satan is the Black Stallion's son who is POSSIBLY FASTER THAN THE BLACK STALLION. You really don't want it to be true though and in the end there's a barn fire and they both escape and the Black Stallion runs faster than Satan. What a relief.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Now that Alec inherits the Black back, this series got good again. I was glued to this book to see what would happen! And it touched my hear to the point of tears to see what Tony and his Nappy (Napoleon) did for Satan and the Black.
Cheryl Rodrigues
one of my very favorite books in the series...this time the race becomes a race for survival. very riviting writing. Walter Farley was excellent at making words alive, letting you feel and see what was happening if only in your own mind.
Sharon
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Susie
I included this book because it was one of those books that I read as a child that opened the door to "Reading For Pleasure" for me. I recently found an old copy at a 2nd hand book store so I hope to reread it soon.
Lori
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Victoria
This book gets competitive with a father and son. (horses). They race against eachother and hate eachother causing caious.
Jackie Krasuski
There was not a Black Stallion book that I could ever put down. The stories are the best.
Kendra
Another enjoyable read by the author. Terrific storyline and great characters as usual.
 CORNPOP FACE KILLAH
well wat i learrn from dis book is that stick up for other people and not just yo self
Beth-Anne
This is my favorite "Black Stallion" book. And Satan is the name of a horse.
Irishgirl1247
My Second favorite of the Black Stallion Series after Black Stallion Mystery.
Ashley
That horses are the same as humans they fight when people are on our own turf
Mary McMillan
Horses, Riding, Passion...say no more!!
Heidi
This book was a very intense book. I mean look at the cover! :)
Charles
A great entry into the series. Satan is the Black Stallion's son.
Jessica
Oct 06, 2010 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Connie
May be a bit much for young readers, but I enjoyed it!
Kaitlyn
Such a good story about a father and his son.
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • The Black Stallion and the Shape-Shifter (Black Stallion Retuns, #3)
  • Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
  • Wonder's First Race (Thoroughbred, #3)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...
The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1) The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2) The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4) Man O'War Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)