Start by marking “Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.” as Want to Read:

Discover the joy of homegrown apples, fresh-picked cherries, and dozens of other fruits with this definitive guide to creating a more delicious backyard! Lee Reich shows you how to grow temperate-zone fruit at home, from site analysis and climate assessment through plant selection, pest control, pruning, and harvesting. A plant-by-plant guide recommends 39 palate-pleasing ...more
Published February 4th 2009 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Landscaping with Fruit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Landscaping with Fruit

Miss
Oct 19, 2011 Miss rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book -- lots of concise information, full colour photographs, innovative design ideas and a variety of suggestions that include the use of new plants and established plants.

I hope to be able to incorporate more fruit shrubs and trees into my yard next season -- to increase privacy and a local food source that I KNOW is organic (as much as that's possible in this world of contaminants).

Jen S.
Jan 03, 2011 Jen S. rated it really liked it
A very fine book, but with some bizarre omissions-- doesn't everybody love raspberries? And I'd love more information on growing elderberries.
jess
Mar 14, 2010 jess rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, growing
This book opens with the premise that plants are not divided into the categories of "looking nice" and "feeding us." There is a lot of overlap between plants that dress up your landscaping and also feed you (or could, potentially feed you, in some capacity). So I agree with that. While having conventionally beautiful landscaping has never been a priority to me, it is nice to think about permanent use of attractive edible plants in our yard, now that we own a house. And if it looks nicer than the ...more
January
May 23, 2015 January rated it liked it
Shelves: skills, gardening
I have an older home with mature plantings which I'd like to add to, and in some case replace with edibles. I picked this up looking for photos of edibles in the landscape, grouped with other plants, ornamentals or edibles, and maybe some info on which edibles are good for different uses (hedges, ground covers, etc).

What I got was a book divided into three parts. Part 1 is gardening 101. While I did glean some interesting tidbits here, I'm an experienced gardener and don't need yet another expl
Blakely
Jun 24, 2011 Blakely rated it it was amazing
Along with "Edible Landscaping", I highly recommend this for fruit/vegetable gardeners who want to maintain an attractive yard. This book gives several great ideas, many of which I plan on incorporating in my house over the next few years.

While "Edible Landscaping" is somewhat better than this book - only because it is bigger, includes vegetables, and has more photos - this is definitely worth reading. I originally borrowed this from the library but plan on purchasing it and adding it to my coll
Sep 10, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: agriculture
Not as detailed on the how-tos of maintaining fruit plantings as something like Organic Orcharding, this book at least brings to the forefront the beautiful utility of many perennial fruits and shares ideas on how to incorporate them into an edible landscape. Part permaculture, part luscious wish list, this could be a useful reference tool for those wanting to vary their home-based agriculture.
Alison
Jan 07, 2012 Alison rated it it was amazing
An edible yard need not be ugly, and a yard does not need to be huge to incorporate fruit into it. There is a special beauty found in plants that can also feed us, and fruits give to us year after year. The book is packed with good information and beautiful gardens, and some landscape plans that incorporate fruits into regular plantings. It made me want to build a pergola and coat it with beautiful grape vines... and hopefully I will someday. A great Christmas gift from my husband!
Darlene
Jul 25, 2013 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Need to get me a personal copy - easily read and very informative as all Lee Reich's books on fruit are. If I want to read something about gardening with Fruit, I start with Lee Reich's books. Just got me a personal copy!
Sally
Jun 24, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, skimmed
My mom summed this up in one word: ambitious. It is a thorough reference to types of various fruit plants, shrubs, vines and trees; growing information, etc. But it's not for the cash-challenged or weekend-gardener.

It felt good to read, heavy, glossy paper. And indexed. ;)
Aja Marsh
picked up this book on a stoop before leaving brooklyn and finally just gave it a general read-through. the information is well organized and clear and includes good resources. i felt like i learned a lot and had a good feeling for what might work in my garden in santa fe!
Diana
Nov 02, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This book was very informative and would be a great reference guide. It was not the easiest book to read front to back. It did give me a lot of ideas for our yard though. Something I will probably check out again when needed.
Annette McIntyre
Mar 17, 2015 Annette McIntyre rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone intrested in landscaping with food plants
Very helpful book on what sorts of trees, shrubs and groundcovers you can plant for beauty and tasty food.
Katie
Sep 22, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, wishlist
Really liked the plant profiles...very detailed info on different variets. Inspired me to try things outside the norm....for 2013 I hope to plant: sea buckthorn, hardy kiwi, and currants.
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Deirdre Ventura
Deirdre Ventura rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Elliot
Elliot rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Laura Thomas
Laura Thomas rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
MichelleCH
Nov 15, 2013 MichelleCH rated it really liked it
Happily reviewed over at Booklikes!
Kelly Shine
Kelly Shine rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2015
Stephen Rugg
Stephen Rugg rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Irene Moyer
Irene Moyer rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2014
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Kevin Adam
Kevin Adam rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Stewart
Stewart rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Pamela Brucker
Pamela Brucker rated it really liked it
May 22, 2014
Juanita Layne
Juanita Layne rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Karla Bledsoe
Karla Bledsoe rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Shana
Shana rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's and Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving, 2nd Edition
  • Tree Crops: A Permanent Agriculture
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain Into Your Life and Landscape
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • Beautiful No-Mow Yards: 50 Amazing Lawn Alternatives
  • City Chicks: Keeping Micro-Flocks of Laying Hens as Garden Helpers, Compost Makers, Bio-Recyclers and Local Food Suppliers
  • The Edible Container Garden: Growing Fresh Food in Small Spaces
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
Lee Reich, PhD is an avid farmdener (more than a gardener, less than a farmer) with graduate degrees in soil science and horticulture. After working in plant and soil research with the USDA and Cornell University, he shifted gears and turned to writing, lecturing, and consulting.

He writes regularly for a number of gardening magazines and his syndicated gardening column for Associated Press appears
More about Lee Reich...