Start by marking “The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life” as Want to Read:
The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life

The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  25,617 Ratings  ·  802 Reviews
Here is THE book recounting the life and times of one of the most respected men in the world, Warren Buffett. The legendary Omaha investor has never written a memoir, but now he has allowed one writer, Alice Schroeder, unprecedented access to explore directly with him and with those closest to him his work, opinions, struggles, triumphs, follies, and wisdom. The result is ...more
Published (first published 2008)

Nov 29, 2008 Espen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious investors
To succeed in business, be patient, look for value, be honest, and have cash in hand. And don't think about anything else. In fact, be an unrepentent monomaniac. Warren Buffett has become the worlds richest man by making investments that he gets derided for at 10-year intervals, then, when the bubble bursts, he is a saint again.... Buffett is extremely good at making money - and has a rather impressive idea about what to do with it (keep investing, give it all away to someone who is good at givi ...more
Dec 12, 2008 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Get ready for a ride through this tome. It covers Buffett's childhood right up to the present. I enjoyed reading about the education of Buffett in school, out of school, in work and with people. What could have shortened the book was the too many facts about people in his life. The sentence would mention a person and you'd have to read though that persons life history and his or her family's history. I enjoy bios but if I want to read a person's bio I'll pick up their book.
Another thing that bot
Jan 03, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
I have always disliked Warren Buffutt because of his political views. It seems very easy and convenient to be in favor of all sorts of wealth redistribution when you have so much wealth that it will make absolutely no difference to you. While I still disagree with what he stands for politically, I enjoyed the book immensely. It is a rare non-fiction book that keeps you up late on multiple nights. He has had a truely amazing life and has illustrated the benefits of compounding wealth more than an ...more
Bookmarks Magazine
Warren Buffett should be applauded for allowing such open access to his life. Alice Schroeder, who interviewed friends and family, pored over Buffett
Jan 23, 2009 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Buffett is a titan of our time, and that his story is inpirational. He is a good and righteous man, a money-changer who doesn't ever get thrown out of the temple. He's got a great sense of business, but he's also a great man. His support for the Berkshire textiles, less profitable, but of social good, hearkens back to an owner-worker relationship that existed in the 1950's, if it ever existed at all. He's got lots of quirks, a sex life that perplexes everyone, and the largest charitable ...more
Feb 27, 2009 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life story of Warren Buffet. About 800 pages. In detail, outlines in amazing detail many of his deals. Even more detail on personal relationships – a real dissection of who he is and how he came to be what he is.Goes into Howie in some detail – how he really wanted to be a farmer, his migration to Decatur, what his functions were at ADM, etc. How $1,000 invested with Warren early on made multi millionaires out of a number of people.His relationship with Bill and Melinda Gates (he thought of Bill ...more
Scott Dinsmore
Jul 09, 2009 Scott Dinsmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why I Read this Book: Warren Buffett is the epitome of success in many ways for a lot of people. I had to find out the real story.

Topics Covered:

* Modeling
* Internal Values
* Value Investing
* Trade offs of various forms of success
* Understanding your purpose and priorities
* Importance of Relationships

I preordered my copy of Snowball through Amazon the day it was announced. I will warn you that I am a fanatic. I make it out to Omaha each year for the Berkshire Hathaway meeting and it’
Oct 26, 2009 Jonny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I rarely give up on books but I gave up on this one after about 100 pages. After 100 pages we are still sorting through Warren's paper routes and stamp collections. I am interested in Warren Buffet, but do we really need over 800 pages in this biography? There are biographies of Winston Churchill that are shorter.

I would say this book is only for people that are really, really interested in Buffet.

Good luck.
Dec 23, 2009 Kirk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
hard to get through read half of it, it's gigantic and got tired of it. It's all facts and not much about his thought process or how he makes decisions so not exactly what I was hoping for. Generally more interesting than it should be though for the writing style.
Feb 17, 2010 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
By the time I got to the 70's and 80's the book was pretty boring but the early years were interesting. Problem with a Kindle is that it is hard to skip ahead to figure out how it ends.
Austin Alter
The story of how pinball machines and counterfeit salad oil helped build one of the great modern fortunes is fascinating, but there is a reason people generally aren't clamoring to read 976 page books by former CPA's. The writing is dull and repetitive, the pacing slows to a crawl by the end.
May 23, 2010 Marci rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really tried - his life's work is such a great American success story, but this was so boring I quit after Q1
Max Stone
Jun 16, 2010 Max Stone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clearly worth reading if you are a Warren groupie (which I am)

Maybe worth reading if you aren't?

Some have faulted the book for not being stronger in the secrets of his investment success. This is silly. For starters, Warren Buffet himself has written extensively on that topic, imparting most of the wisdom that can be imparted. Read his annual letters or even interviews if you want that. And second, by definition there isn't an easy playbook of rules that people can follow for financial success.
Mike W
Feb 13, 2013 Mike W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, economics
This is a good biography of Warren Buffett, but it could have been better. While it depicted his personal life and his character well, it could have done a better job with his investment philosophy. Roger Lowenstein's earlier biography was better, in this regard.

Buffett is a complex character, as Schroeder portrays him. He inveighs against privilege, inherited wealth and nepotism, but gives his kids $1 million a year as birthday gifts and appoints them as directors of his company, Berkshire Hath
Mar 22, 2012 James rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gossip
This was a disappointing book.
At 834 pages plus notes and index there were a lot of words,
but at least 80% were just gossip about who had a problem
with drinking, drugs, hurt feelings etc etc etc.

That book is 1000 times better: 22 March 2012>

The trivia even included who their babysitter married!!!

Over the years I've read often about the remarkable partnership of Buffett and Munger,
but very very little of that is mentioned in this book.

And clearly Mr B didn't proof the book, because it's ri
Nick Duretta
This probably is a very good book -- the author is a superb writer -- but it didn't overcome my natural aversion to lengthy, overly detailed biographies such as this. Buffett is, of course, a fascinating subject, the richest man in the world but one who is not greedy, does not wallow in conspicuous consumerism, and is inherently modest. Schroeder leads us through every phase of his life, and it is a remarkable one. But I found myself skimming over much of the minutiae and fixating on some of the ...more
Sep 20, 2016 Wallyton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always thought I liked Warren Buffett. Now I know I do, and I thoroughly enjoyed learning about his journey, his battles, his demons, and his heroics. That's sounds dramatic for describing a business man, but this individual changed many lives and many companies. The book was beautifully written, with characters of all stripes coming to life around Warren as you get to know him and them. Loved the book!
Nov 07, 2012 Relinquis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buffett Groupies
Beware! This is a poorly edited and tedious book.

Schroder, an inexperienced biographer, could have benefited from a more aggressive editor. There are over 300+ pages of minutia and repetition in the main text. Surprisingly, the excessive trivialities centre around Buffett's and his extended family's lives rather than overly detailed discussion of his business deals.

Hierology is probably the wrong word, but you do get a sense that the author idolises Buffett. I would have preferred a more imparti
Nov 30, 2012 Socraticgadfly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
No, this is NOT "THE book" ...

Want a real bio of Warren Buffett? You'll have to keep waiting, because this book ain't it.

This baby's got some major boo-boos in just the first 50 pages. (But there's more later!) Add in overwriting, poor writing, and apparently economic slants or ax-grinding and ugg ....

First, the early errors:

1. She claims Hoover was Coolidge's VP. Nope, twas Charles Curtis.

2. She claims some other speech, not "Cross of Gold," was William Jennings Bryan's most famous. Not even c
Saurabh Hooda
Aug 09, 2014 Saurabh Hooda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The snowball gives a sneak preview look into the life of the greatest investor in Universe (Yes, he can beat Mars folks too). The biography tells his nature, his characteristics, his habits and so many other things about him. If you want to read this book to get some tips to become billionaire, or some stock tips, then this might not be the right book. The snowball doesn't give any tips or tricks; it just presents the incidents in Warren's life and how he reacted to them. Everything is left for ...more
Apr 02, 2013 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finished reading almost 800 pages book on biography of Warren Buffett most pressing question I have now is WHO THE HELL IS CHARLIE MUNGER?!?!!

I was completely fascinated by the straight talking lesser known partner of Berkshire Hathaway. The few quotes of Charlie Munger in the book is enough to justify the poor writings elsewhere. There are so much fluff in the book, that gems of wisdom from Charlie Munger stood out. Once asked about technology stocks in late 1990s Munger once said "Even
Tiffany Reisz
Apr 24, 2013 Tiffany Reisz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fan-freaking-tastic. I knew Warren Buffett was fascinating but I didn't know he was THAT fascinating. I spent a month reading this 900 page tome and the entire month I tortured my boyfriend with, "Ermergerd, did you know Warren Buffett this? Warren Buffett this?" So well-written and engaging. I'd let Alice Schroeder write my biography any day. She has a way of taking the most mundane life details and making them engaging, witty, and meaningful. So enjoyed this. Warren Buffett for President!
May 10, 2016 Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good attempt at a great biography, very worthwhile on audiobook, reading it is likely to get most readers distracted and unable to complete.

Parts of the story are very well done with crisp insights supported with good logic and solid story narratives. Other parts become way too bogged down in the minutiae of details of deal after deal after deal over multiple decades.

So, the parts at the beginning and the end are most helpful in understanding how Buffett operates and used his astounding memory
Mar 30, 2015 Godfrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My perception of Warren Buffet was formed during what's turned out to be ,according to the book, at the height of his popularity. I'm not like Scrooge nor am I driven to be the richest man in the world but I understand that the way in which I save will determine how comfortably I live for the rest of my life. What better way to learn to save and appreciate the value of money than from the man himself. All I knew of him was that he'd built his empire with prudent investing and a simplistic lifest ...more
Rolen Le
Jan 04, 2015 Rolen Le rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read more finance heavy value investing books like Buffettology and Warren Buffett Way, I was expecting a more detailed and numbers driven account of Buffett's life. However, this book covers his life from personal and layperson perspective which I found refreshing.

The book gives a great portrait of what drives Warren Buffett and what his personality is like. Having the reputation of one of the World's richest people and having a number of books that lionize him, it is easy to believe th
Mar 28, 2015 Carl-adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Principles man, straight talker, all about focus focus focus. You need the hours.

Very high regard of values - do what's right, and do it fast rather than slow.
Joan Machlis-crasemann
I liked this book a lot. I think there is a lot unsaid since Buffett is the Oracle of Omaha and very much alive, I learned so much about his unique business approach and strategies. Really remarkable decisions. It is a story, better than any self help book, about living your life as you chose, even before you are a billionaire. It seems that Buffett's insistence on forging his own way was contagious to his family and friends--his children and the many women whom he needed in his life. It is also ...more
May 25, 2015 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly thorough account of Buffett's life to date. While the author clearly admires Buffett, she isn't above sharing his shortfalls, which lends to a more complete take on him that is seen in the daily media. Particularly enlightening is how she ties his upbringing into his choices and views later in life, including the turnaround at Solomon and his handling of the financial crisis. A must read for someone curious about one of the most success businessman in modern history.
Oct 17, 2016 Juan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are the type of person that likes listening to life stories, you would love this book.

I listened to the unabridged version of this book and there was a lot of detail that does not add anything to the book. Because the salient information is so sparse in the book, I had to re-listen parts where I realized I missed something important due to losing focus.

The overall lessons and advice are excellent and I would recommend this to anyone who wants to take control of their financial future, but
Online job 1 3 Mar 01, 2016 04:33PM
Amazing response 8 83 Feb 22, 2015 03:13PM
  • Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
  • Damn Right!: Behind the Scenes with Berkshire Hathaway Billionaire Charlie Munger
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
  • The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • Tap Dancing to Work: Warren Buffett on Practically Everything, 1966-2012
  • The Little Book of Value Investing
  • The Aggressive Conservative Investor
  • Buffettology: The Previously Unexplained Techniques That Have Made Warren Buffett the World's Most Famous Investor
  • Fooling Some of the People All of the Time: A Long Short (and Now Complete) Story
  • The Education of a Value Investor: My Transformative Quest for Wealth, Wisdom, and Enlightenment
  • The Age Of Turbulence: Adventures In A New World
Ms. Schroeder was born in Texas, and she earned an undergraduate degree and her MBA at the University of Texas at Austin before moving east to work in finance. She is a former CPA and lives in Connecticut with her husband.

Alice Schroeder was a noted insurance industry analyst and writer who was a managing director at Morgan Stanley. She first met Warren Buffett when she published research on Berk
More about Alice Schroeder...

“On me personally what has been the most important was to understand the value of time -- and this is something that has come from observing him, learning his story and that time compounds. What you do when you are young (and as you use time over your life) can have an exponential effect so that if you are thoughtful about it, you can really have powerful results later, if you want to.

Also, that is a reason to be hopeful, because compounding is something that happens pretty quickly. If you are 50 or 60, it is not too late. He said to me one time, if there is something you really want to do, don't put it off until you are 70 years old. ... Do it now. Don't worry about how much it costs or things like that, because you are going to enjoy it now. You don't even know what your health will be like then.

On the other hand, if you are investing in your education and you are learning, you should do that as early as you possibly can, because then it will have time to compound over the longest period. And that the things you do learn and invest in should be knowledge that is cumulative, so that the knowledge builds on itself. So instead of learning something that might become obsolete tomorrow, like some particular type of software [that no one even uses two years later], choose things that will make you smarter in 10 or 20 years. That lesson is something I use all the time now.”
“Time is the friend of the wonderful business, the enemy of the mediocre.” 4 likes