Start by marking “Poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. 40+ poems, including Song of Hiawatha, The Golden Legend, Dante, Goblet of Life, Old Clock on The Stairs and more ” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Longfellow was the most popular poet of his day. This selection includes generous samplings from his longer works--"Evangeline, The Courtship of Miles Standish, " and "Hiawatha"--as well as his shorter lyrics and less familiar narrative poems.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1879)

Be the first to ask a question about Poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. 40+ poems, including Song of Hiawatha, The Golden Legend, Dante, Goblet of Life, Old Clock on The Stairs and more

Deb
I grew up in Longfellow's home town...I have many childhood memories encompassing his home (open for historical tours), my parents clipping articles out of the newspaper about Longfellow, walking past his statue more times than one could count, Longfellow Square as a local landmark...he is part of where I am from, and thus part of me. I had a lovely illustrated copy of The Song of Hiawatha (heavily abridged I think) as a child, a gift from my eldest brother. I wish I could find that book again. ...more
Janet Eshenroder
This was published in 1879. It is a family heirloom, a thick and over-sized leather-bound book that was one of the few things I eagerly claimed the moment the offer was made. For now, I only intend to read Hiawatha's story, since I feel the book must literally be handled with gloves.

Had I read this poem in school? Or was I just so familiar with excerpts of Hiawatha that it seemed I should have read it?

I loved the sound of this poem. The words rolled within my mind like gentle waves. A great pe
Angelique
This volume of selected poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was a true delight to read. The shorter poems in the beginning of this book already blew me away with their beautiful language, and I found many poems that I want to memorize. The excerpts from The Song of Hiawatha were strange at best, but with Evangeline Longfellow won my heart. The Courtship of Miles Standish with its witty and funny tone was a nice closure for this volume. The longer poems gave women a voice and showed their intelli ...more
Jenn
This volume of poetry was an enjoyable and inspirational read. While there are many controversies surrounding Longfellow's style and motivations, it cannot be denied that his work is wonderful and crafted well.

I could not locate my favorite compilation of his work on good reads. The antique books I collect are sometimes a challenge to locate and share, but here is the information.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Selected Poems Copyright 1967 By the Peter Pauper Press of Mount Vernon, New York. Edited
Pewterbreath
Can't say I LOVE it--there's something about Longfellow that just screams Junior High English class--but at the same time he was THE most popular American poet for a very long time--it took Dickenson and Whitman to finally dislodge him from his throne. It's kinda a should read more than a want to read. Gotta say--so far, he's an EASY read (I mean for poetry Longfellow is pretty straightforward), and what he can do with sound is pretty amazing (see Hiawatha).
Jeremy
Nice to "get back into" Longfellow. I taught only a few of his poems, and that was several years ago. I remember starting "Evangeline" and really enjoying the beauty of the language; don't remember if I ever finished it. See more here: http://www.themundanemuse.blogspot.co...
Hey, Beth! I've added this to my Goodreads list in honor of your term paper on Longfellow - don't let it get you down! You can do it!

Longfellow's been one of my favorite poets (probably because I can actually understand his poetry) since my mom gave me an anthology of his poems when I was a kid!
Zcrowley50
I enjoyed Evangeline, and the rest was fine but that was it, just fine. I expected more.

Longfellow seems more a recorder, an historian, than an artist. Everything carefully sculpted and fit into its mold. Certainly has his place, though.

Rachael
This book belonged to Frank Shotwell from Cashmere, Washington. Brother to Grace Boyles, grandmother of Rebecca Baens. July 2011.
Fred
some of this unreadable, some famously misused as disciplinary implements, but the poems to his wife are to make a grown man cry
Jeffrey
Hey, it's Wadsworth. Can I add to the millions of words already said about the man. Think not. Won't not. Don't not.
Zepp
The good ones are real good ones. Evangeline is thrill.
There are others, though.
Ej1128lib
Day is done

Psalm of life

Music of the soul
Paul Smith
Paul Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Tammy Brown
Tammy Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
  • The Collected Poetry of Paul Laurence Dunbar
  • The Figured Wheel: New and Collected Poems, 1966-1996
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • The Complete Poems
  • Wordsworth: Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • The Top 500 Poems
  • Adrienne Rich's Poetry and Prose
  • The Collected Poems
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • The Odes of Horace: Bilingual Edition
  • Selected Poems
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere The Song of Hiawatha Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie Favorite Poems Poems and Other Writings (Library of America #118)

“Let us, then be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labour and to wait.”
36 likes
“Great men die and are forgotten,
Wise men speak; their words of wisdom
Perish in the ears that hear them,
Do not reach the generations
That, as yet unborn, are waiting
In the great, mysterious darkness
Of the speechless days that shall be!”
4 likes