Start by marking “Temple Cat” as Want to Read:
Temple Cat

Temple Cat

The little cat living in a temple in the ancient city of Neba has everything he could wish for. But from his perch in a courtyard tree, he can see the world beyond the temple walls. There, children play in the streets. There, other cats roam free. So one night the temple cat slips out. During his long, hard journey, he lives as a cat, not a god - and finds, at the edge of ...more
Published March 19th 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Temple Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temple Cat

Courtney Canino
Temple Cat, by Andrew Clements, is a children's book with a lexile of 400 so it is best for primary aged readers. The main character in this book is a cat who is treated like a king in an Egyptian temple. The point of view of this book is third person because it is told through someone as if they were watching the cat. The setting of this book is in ancient Neba in a temple, and the land surrounding the temple. The plot of this book is that there is a cat who lives in a Neban temple and he is tr ...more
Marlowe
Jul 17, 2015 Marlowe rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really enjoyed this picture book about an Ancient Egyptian cat who lives in a temple as the living avatar of a god. The cat is surrounded by luxury, but feels discontented and trapped. Finally, the cat decides to escape and finds happiness playing with the children of a fisherman.

The story is a little simplistic and the lesson overdone, but they’re really only a vehicle anyway. What carries this book is the gorgeous artwork and the introduction to Ancient Egypt.

In particular, I was very impres
Karen James
Oct 28, 2015 Karen James rated it it was amazing
The Temple Cat is a Historical Fiction picture book. This book is about a cat that lived in a temple in the city of Neba. The cat was the lord of the temple and the people worship the cat has a god. The cat had servants that served him daily. The cat liked being in the temple but he wanted to be free like other cats to roam around and have fun like a normal cat. One night, the cat slips out of the temple in which he had a long journey and found his true heart’s desire at the edge of the sea. The ...more
Chessa
Sep 01, 2013 Chessa rated it really liked it
I got this recommendation from the Ancient Egypt section of Rebecca Rupp Resources (http://www.rebeccaruppresources.com/?...). Cute, short, but with surprisingly beautiful language, this book really captured my kids' attention, particularly that of my 3.5 year old son, who requested I read it three times in a row, and several times since then! The overall message - that the pampered life isn't all it's cracked up to be - is well-played, and the ending is very happy. :)
Matthew
This is a nice piece of narrative poetry about a cat from what seems to be ancient Egypt. The cat is worshipped as a god in a temple, but doesn't enjoy the life of constant praise he leads. Therefore, one night he slips away to see the rest of the world and finds true happiness as a poor family's cat by the sea. Dissimilar to my earlier Clements reads, but still very good.
Jackie
The Temple Cat is waited on hand and foot, worshipped and adored, and wants for nothing. He is worshipped as a god.But, all he wants to do is play and be loved be a real family. He wanders out of the temple one night, travels far, and finds what he has been looking for...a loving family to keep him warm and safe.
Isabel
Feb 27, 2011 Isabel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isabel by: Ellie
Shelves: childrens
Leanne Feathers
Feb 18, 2015 Leanne Feathers rated it really liked it
I liked this book because of the illustrations in it. This book is great for showing kids that having all that you want is not always the greatest and that sometimes just the smallest things make for the best in life. The story is great as well, the words are very descriptive.
Lucinda
I put in Cat's Claw and got this one I did not read this book nor am I planning on reading this book.
Ashley Allen
This is an ok book. I would use this book to talk about how living the "priveledged" life is not always the best. I would talk about relying on yourself is important.
Logan
Sep 02, 2013 Logan rated it really liked it
Very short, just a couple sentences on each page, but the illustrations are beautiful and sweet and perfect for this cat-loving kid. Read aloud by Grandpa Jeff.
Amer
Amer rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2009
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Sonya Chyu
Sonya Chyu rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Rachel Eckelberry
Rachel Eckelberry rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2009
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Chad
Chad rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2007
Sophie
Sophie rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2011
Ry
Ry rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2009
Joan Marsch
Joan Marsch rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2011
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2008
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Anija
Anija rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2017
ELRS
ELRS rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
MH
MH rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2010
Stephanie Locascio
Stephanie Locascio rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Sparkles
Sparkles rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Asherjc
Asherjc rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile
  • Rome Antics
  • The Ch'i-lin Purse: A Collection of Ancient Chinese Stories
  • Cleopatra
  • Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an ...more
More about Andrew Clements...